Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

In your own words, how has aging affected your mountain biking? State your age also.

If I go more than a week or two without riding, I feel less balance and stability. The balance really bothers me too. I used to walk a tightrope in a seconds' notice. Now, I really feel handicapped unless I'm practiced often.

My triceps are my overall weakness. They are the weak link in my riding. I don't ever remember this before, but I was always 225-230ish and very athletic. I'm 245lbs now, and I carry more fat than ever before. My vision is getting less sharp.

Getting old is having a distinctly more pronounced affect in my early 40's than I've ever noticed before. I feel like I'm sharp and a great rider, but I don't ride with young guys, so I wonder if I'm not nearly as sharp and good as I think I am.

What are the things that have made you stop and think "wow I'm getting older", or maybe even the things that help you keep from "losing it"?

Trail Gnome
    I知 much slower, hesitant, scared, out of shape...I知 not fat though I致e also found that it takes forever to recover from injuries...it also takes me a day to recover from a ride; I rarely ride back to back days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I知 much slower, hesitant, scared, out of shape...I知 not fat though I致e also found that it takes forever to recover from injuries...it also takes me a day to recover from a ride; I rarely ride back to back days
    Oh yes, the injury recovery slowness. This is in full effect.

I never feel like riding in the mornings. Ever. 11am is about the earliest I'll get on a bike for a mountain ride. Not sure if this is because I'm old and spoiled, or a mental thing, or what. I don't like to get going in the mornings. I don't get up early to fish either though, so it probably doesn't have a thing to do with mountain biking.

One ring to mash them all
    56 next month.

I was probably in the best physical shape of my life post-college about 6 years ago, regular biking and hiking but really revved it up when training for a race on my SS. Then I had a fall in my garage, severed a quadriceps tendon and never really got back to that same fitness level. The muscle was surgically reattached but it's taken years for that leg's strength to match the other, and I think the knee joint is getting arthritic. I guess I could attribute that to age and slowness of recovery, but it was a pretty catastrophic injury. Sort of takes the wind out of your sails when SS is your only ride.

I'll keep the SS but I'm building up a 10-spd HT to be able to ride more often. And I can still kill it on 20+ mile backpacking days, but trekking poles are non-negotiable items.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    No longer have the edurance I had 20 or even 10 years ago. I think this has more to do with not having as much time to ride then with my age. Recovery does takes a lot longer. If I ride for more than 2 hrs, i am spent the rest of the day.

I'm also a little more hesitant taking some of the bigger jumps, but I still take them. It hurts a lot more when the landings don't go as planned. I have not gained any common sense over the years and that adrenaline rush you get from bombing a down hill or clearing a gap is still the same at 50 as it was at 17.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm 53. I'm a better rider now than when I started ten years ago. Not only do I have better bikes but I know how to set them up and have built most of them myself and can do almost any kind of maintenance including a lot of things out on the trail. I've lost a lot of weight (still more to go), am eating better, and am married to a super-hot woman who is an athlete and a fitness nut and a pretty good road cyclist. I get nothing but support from my wife in all my fitness endeavors including the Tour Divide.

I also have a lot more endurance and power than when I started. My wife has got me in the gym and, apart from general strength training I do squats, dead-lifts, and other core and leg exercises that have really helped, especially in my ability to climb hills. I know I am getting older and I tend to hurt a little more than I did ten years ago but I hope to maintain my fitness (and improve) so I am riding in my sixties and seventies.

Next Tour Divide attempt is on for 2020! (Work and other requirements make 2019 unlikely).
    Last edited by Ailuropoda; 03-17-2018 at 02:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 64, and this is the first year where I feel like age has caught up with me some. My usual 20 mile
    ride isn't as easy as it use to be.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Turning 40, overall much faster. I've figured out a lot more about training and how to be fast. As far as aggressive DH, I feel nearly as fast as younger, but I feel the slight amount that I might be slower is just riding smarter and not taking some chances that aren't worth it, although I still do tend to take chances.

Going fast, racing, endurance, climbing, etc., is all about watts to weight ratio, if you can keep the weight down and get the watts up, you'll be pretty dang fast, and age doesn't seem to be a limiting factor in that until much older (than I am), based on all the older guys that are that fast. What does seem to be important is working out, keeping yourself fit, cross-training, etc.

One thing I figured out about getting faster (stronger, etc.) is that it's very hard to do alone and it always feels extremely uncomfortable, right on the edge of pain, but not quite painful. Pushing yourself this far is key and you have to get away from what is "comfortable".

With that, I'm doing longer races than ever (100 miles) and enjoying good success all around. I'm a bit slower this season and trying to make up for it, but a lot closer to last season than my overall riding fitness 10 years ago.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

slow
    I'm not as motivated as I used to be to ride when it is cold out. Probably didn't have more than a dozen rides below 25ーF this winter.
    Aside from that, there is little change due to aging. My skills have probably improved over the past 33 years of mountain biking.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post

If I go more than a week or two without riding, I feel less balance and stability. The balance really bothers me too. I used to walk a tightrope in a seconds' notice. Now, I really feel handicapped unless I'm practiced often.

My triceps are my overall weakness. They are the weak link in my riding. I don't ever remember this before, but I was always 225-230ish and very athletic. I'm 245lbs now, and I carry more fat than ever before. My vision is getting less sharp.

Getting old is having a distinctly more pronounced affect in my early 40's than I've ever noticed before. I feel like I'm sharp and a great rider, but I don't ride with young guys, so I wonder if I'm not nearly as sharp and good as I think I am.

What are the things that have made you stop and think "wow I'm getting older", or maybe even the things that help you keep from "losing it"?
    43 here too.

I started mtb around 30, if anything I'm getting faster every year and it's been good motivation to keep in shape. As the years go by the people I ride with and myself have had increased expectations. In some ways I'm in better shape now than ever. I think the main difference I notice getting older is more matters, especially diet, rest and recovery... I stopped drinking alcohol almost entirely and have had to make some adjustments in diet to keep weight down. Recovery takes longer... maybe not a ton, maybe it just matters more, idk. Rest seems to matter more.

If you want to see how fast and sharp you still are enter some races. We ride to go down, so Enduro fits my style and I can do ok if there's not a lot of pedaling/climbing. Also, it's nice to see the 40+ age group times are competitive, so I'd say it's definitely possible to ride fast while old. A lot of it really comes down to time on the bike... if you want to be fast you need to ride your bike A LOT and spend time in the gym too.

Don't Tread on Me
    I'll turn 65 in a few months. I find I have a diminishing sense of balance. I don't have the same explosive power. I also don't feel the need to take the same risks as I did when I was younger. My endurance is as strong as ever and my overall bike handling skills are getting better with age.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I'm 64, and this is the first year where I feel like age has caught up with me some. My usual 20 mile
    ride isn't as easy as it use to be.
    Yeah. I was going great guns in my early 60s with only gradual declines and minor issues. Mid 60's things started deteriorating pretty fast. It's different for everybody but I know a fair number of riders who are doing great in their late 50s. Perhaps the guys who aren't doing so well aren't riding and that's skewing the riding population.
    Do the math.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I am 59 and lately have lost confidence night riding, and climbing. Right now climbing is the only thing that scares me. On gnarly climbs I am afraid of stalling and falling, probably because I have done it a few times. Going down does not worry me at all, bring it on. Weird.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Nat
    mtbr member

• My riding skills are the best they've ever been
    • I no longer feel like spending 3+ hours on a ride (unless I'm visiting a new locale)
    • I no longer enjoy wrenching -- I'd rather just pay my LBS to do it
    • Recovery takes longer (maybe that's part of not wanting to ride 3+ hours?)
    • I don't care about being fastest. I like to "stop and smell the roses."

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I really only care about going fast downhill. I will put in a hard effort on some climbs but I live to descend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Going down does not worry me at all, bring it on. Weird.
    That is weird, mid-50's and one of the biggest changes for me is that I'm no longer fearless at speed. I still push the pace pretty good but I'm fairly terrified about biting it, mostly because a broken bone could take me off the bike for months and at this point in my life there's only so many good months left to enjoy so it's a shame to waste even one.

What's surprising to me is that my fitness is probably the best it's ever been.
    I brake for stinkbugs

middle ring single track

Made me more cautious. Was more of a moto rider up until 20 years ago. Now I might moto off-road once a year (e-biking not included) At first MTB'ing felt like I was naked; I think coming from moto's made me more cautious at the git-go. As far as age-related; eventually I had to give up clipless; too many stupid crashes where I didn't un-clip in time. Needing to put on reading glasses to make repairs, read maps and GPS...

Speaking of e-bikes; they're great for hauling trail work tools but they're detrimental to maintaining cardio conditioning IMHO. I gained 10 # when I started riding e-bikes about 50% of the time.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Turned 48 2 days ago. Been MTB'ing since 1986. It really bum's me out when I get contemplative about how often I used to be able to ride. The biggest thing I struggle with in winter is getting cold on a ride. My camelback is so heavy in the winter because I have to bring so many different layers. I sweat alot. (And I live in So-cal for hecks sake). I lived in Missoula, MT for 14 years. I think about how I was always the 1st tracks in the spring time and the last in the fall. But I think my biggest hurdle is my mind. I think about how I used to ride and had enthusiasm to get out and it bums me out in the here and now when I hear my mind say's "Too sore, too tired, too cold, blah, blah, blah" But I still love getting out and hope to always be getting out. Also I love my hardtail. But I cannot ride it anymore unless I only ride fire roads and zero singletrack. But what fun is that? It is relegated to a very expensive town bike.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Up until a couple of years ago, I would've said that nothing had changed in more than 25 years of steady riding. Charging just as hard as I did at 20. If anything, I might have said that recovery times had extended depending on the prior effort. I was never a racer, had no glory days, just a regular 3x a week rider, who lived for the downs and popping off trail features.

Then at 45, I compressed, ruptured, herniated a disc in my lower back - going off a little drop I've done a million times. I was completely off the bike for more than 2 years, and spent the past year just trying to ease back into it and find my groove again. Needless to say, I'm really struggling to get back to my old self.

The secret to riding into old age... is of course, to never stop riding. Once you're forced off the bike for an extended period, it seems really hard to come back now. We'll see.... story to be continued....

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Turned 48 2 days ago. Been MTB'ing since 1986. It really bum's me out when I get contemplative about how often I used to be able to ride. The biggest thing I struggle with in winter is getting cold on a ride. My camelback is so heavy in the winter because I have to bring so many different layers. I sweat alot. (And I live in So-cal for hecks sake). I lived in Missoula, MT for 14 years. I think about how I was always the 1st tracks in the spring time and the last in the fall. But I think my biggest hurdle is my mind. I think about how I used to ride and had enthusiasm to get out and it bums me out in the here and now when I hear my mind say's "Too sore, too tired, too cold, blah, blah, blah" But I still love getting out and hope to always be getting out. Also I love my hardtail. But I cannot ride it anymore unless I only ride fire roads and zero singletrack. But what fun is that? It is relegated to a very expensive town bike.
    I have the opposite problem, started at age 47, if it's warmer outside and I'm directly in the sun, biking with the helmet on I sweat like crazy and start getting dizzy. I take the helmet off on flatter easier trails/roads due to this. Heat intolerance. It may be that I eat so much protein that the thermic effect of the protein is overheating my system in a warm season that then pushes the body homeostasis off kilter. Doesn't matter how much water I drink, that doesn't help. I have noticed that being in the shade of a hill or mountain, even at 80-85F is better than being in the sun with the helmet on at 75F. Other than that I feel more fit than since I was 18 and surfing 10 foot waves.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    My friends keep getting younger. This works out as my emotional age really started to stagnate around 18.
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 03-17-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Great topic! 38 here.
    Sometimes i feel 25, other times i feel 55.
    I notice if i drink any alcohol more than say a couple drinks, it completly shuts my biking down. I would rather quit drinking than biking.

I think some of my injuries from years back
    Are coming back to haunt me. Have developed a clicking ankle now due to one to many sprains. Last one being a moutain bike crash. Docs have paid no mind since i have no pain there but its annoying as hell!
    I feel aches and pains try to creep in sometimes and well reminds me to take better care of myself. Have to stay better hydrated and eat healthier.

MY Daughter is almost an adult and seeing her grow up makes me feel old sometimes. Raising a teen daughter can get expensive too.
    Man, if this is how i feel now, how will my 40s and beyond be? Any advise from the older riders on what to expect and how to keep progressing for another 20 years?
    That is my goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I have the opposite problem, started at age 47, if it's warmer outside and I'm directly in the sun, biking with the helmet on I sweat like crazy and start getting dizzy. I take the helmet off on flatter easier trails/roads due to this. Heat intolerance. It may be that I eat so much protein that the thermic effect of the protein is overheating my system in a warm season that then pushes the body homeostasis off kilter. Doesn't matter how much water I drink, that doesn't help. I have noticed that being in the shade of a hill or mountain, even at 80-85F is better than being in the sun with the helmet on at 75F. Other than that I feel more fit than since I was 18 and surfing 10 foot waves.
    One thing I have always done since the invention of camel back bladders. I have always loved riding in the hot summertime heat 90-100F. The trick is to freeze 1/4-1/2 of you bladder than fill it before the ride. In my older age I now bring 2 bladders the 1st oone I freeze and fill before the ride. The 2nd bladder I just freeze 1/2 f it than fill at it the water spot 1/2 ways into my ride. I find that sipping in ice water helps regulate my thermal levels and exhaustion.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

Nat
    mtbr member
    If it were so hot out that I had to bring two bladders of water I壇 be more likely to go see a matinee, lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Almost 26 years behind the bars. I'm now 47 and in as good a shape as I was in at 32. However, I had to quit drinking and work out 50% more to keep up with myself. I also don't rage the downhills as much. Numerous injuries over the years too. My right shoulder has taken most of the brunt.

mtbr member
    Makes me enjoy each ride more, sure I am slower and a bit more cautious but I do enjoy each ride for what it brings good days and bad.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Not helpful.
    I, uh...

What was the question?
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Going on 56 with just a couple years riding in the woods....my riding has been affected like all the other areas of my life; can still do everything I've ever done but just not as long, not as fast and not as furious ...and it takes a little longer to recover after a vigorous session.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Started mountain biking in '88, still riding year round with lots and lots of winter riding this year.
    Did a 50 mile race/ride this year in 90 degree temps with a friend who was turning 50. I had done the same when I turned 50. The youngest of our core group will be 50 in 7 years, which would put me at 70, hopefully I'll be ready to do it once more.

Endurance and technical climbing very close to as good as ever, given experience, generally good shape and great advancement in bikes over the last 30 years. A little more cautious descending, never my strongest suit but probably what is fading faster.

Hope to continue riding at a good level for quite a while. Hard to envision not being able to, given how great the feeling is and how it combines so many things; amazingly fun workout, meaningful camaraderie, being tuned in and mindful in nature, traveling to amazing places to ride, the unspoken satisfaction of being able to hang with the younger dudes.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

I ain't as good as I once was,
    I got a few years on me now,
    But there was a time,
    Back in my prime,
    When I could really lay it down,
    trails If you need some love tonight,
    Then I might have just enough,
    I ain't as good as I once was,
    But I'm as good once as I ever was.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-18-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

The perfessor
    55, still got some good moves, still got the legs.......SS 29er helps............
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL / Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

No known cure
    I'm rolling up on 48. That sounds weird because I don't feel it. I've been riding and racing mountain bikes since I was 15 in 1985. I still have the same stoke and can't get my shoes on quick enough at the trailhead. It takes a lot longer to heal and I don't own a DH bike anymore, and the racing now takes a back seat to destination rides, but I still love rolling up to the start and still get butterflies if there's five beeps and a timer. I'm the same weight as when I graduated high school and feel my fitness is the same, but different since I started riding single speeds eight years ago. I believe I ride with the same level of precision and coordination as I had in my 20's. I have to say, I love the mountain bike lifestyle and will ride 'till I can't turn a crank.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Cycologist
    54. I was probably in my best shape about 5 years ago when I was between jobs and had lots of time to ride and run. I lost so much weight that everyone was worried about me. I'm still about the same weight, though my weight fluctuates between summer and winter; still at my end of winter weight I'm less than what I weighed when I graduated college. I've also made improvements in my diet as I've gotten older and I think that helps.

As far as riding, in the last few years I switched to flat pedals and using a dropper post and I think both of these things give me more confidence and let me ride faster/technical safer. I think the skills that I have gained over the years have surpassed most of the effects of aging. But I do remind myself often that I really can't afford a bad crash and that slowing down a bit and playing it safe is a good idea.

I'm also a trail runner and I think that helps a lot in terms of my body not "feeling" the ride the day before or even after I ride. I'll often do a hard ride in the morning and then to keep the wife happy, do a lot of yard work in the afternoon, or work all day Saturday and ride on Sunday. Actually, I am feeling the yard work more and more as I get older!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    Great topic! 38 here.
    Sometimes i feel 25, other times i feel 55.
    I notice if i drink any alcohol more than say a couple drinks, it completly shuts my biking down. I would rather quit drinking than biking.

I think some of my injuries from years back
    Are coming back to haunt me. Have developed a clicking ankle now due to one to many sprains. Last one being a moutain bike crash. Docs have paid no mind since i have no pain there but its annoying as hell!
    I feel aches and pains try to creep in sometimes and well reminds me to take better care of myself. Have to stay better hydrated and eat healthier.

MY Daughter is almost an adult and seeing her grow up makes me feel old sometimes. Raising a teen daughter can get expensive too.
    Man, if this is how i feel now, how will my 40s and beyond be? Any advise from the older riders on what to expect and how to keep progressing for another 20 years?
    That is my goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I've just been taking "getting old" a little hard lately and I wanted to hear what other people had to say about it.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    After a couple bouts of severe heat exhaustion and spending days in the ER with saline and mag draining into both arms, I can't ride in extreme heat. Hot with no breeze? No way. I had two very close calls in the Kern River Valley. I won't drop into a canyon with hot dead air anymore. A couple years ago I turned around 500 yards into Broken Arrow in Sedona and called the GF to come get me. Instead, after that evening's ride I ended up feeling my way out along a trail on Oak Creek to Midgley Bridge after dark in pitch black after riding Munds. At one point, I was ready to swim across but didn't want to get water past any seals, bearings or pivots.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've just been taking "getting old" a little hard lately and I wanted to hear what other people had to say about it.

Unless you were very competitive in your younger years you have a lot of potential to discover and improving to do. I've got more than a decade on you and am still setting pr's and gunning for occasional kom's.
    I brake for stinkbugs

55 years old. Skill is far better than any other time in my life. Strength is near it's peak, and my body's ability to sustain that strength is better than ever. Stamina is good, far better than most youngsters, but I might have had better endurance five years ago. It's hard to be certain, as my bike is different now, and I use up energy in different ways.

I think the key to doing well is maintaining a healthful diet and doing appropriate stretching exercises. I'm not all that diligent in those things, but I'm sure I could ride better if I tried to maintain my body better.

mtbr member
    This will probably get challenged but supplements can REALLY help here. In addition to doing everything else right...diet, sleep, stress management, etc. supplements can really supercharge mind and body in this context. I'd highly recommend picking up a book like
    https://www.amazon.com/Real-Vitamin-.../dp/089529690X
    and going from there.

Over your head. Basically what happened in the last several posts. Shame on you all.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    About 8 years ago I hit the Raynaud's Disease, although I didn't realize it at the time. Since that time, I've moved to Alaska and I've become pretty adept at adapting and defeating it. It took me a good season to figure out my clothing, but one of the important points that I wish I'd realized earlier is that owning at least some of the gear I do now 10, 15 or more years before, would have been extremely beneficial and would have made a lot of riding more enjoyable. The lake 302/303 boots aren't very good for real cold temps, but damn I wish I had them years ago when it dropped into the 40s on some rides. Pogies make it possible for me to ride in colder temps without getting crazy sweaty fingers that later turn cold, coupled with chem-heaters when I need them. What I've learned is that stuff like this is worth it. Now I take small packable jackets on summer rides in the backcountry, I bring "one level" colder on my winter fat-rides in case it goes to my next-colder temperature range, but I'm not over-loaded with gear either. I know that if I was doing just half of what I am now I would have had a hell of a lot more fun and comfortable rides in the past.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Combat Wombat
    Will be 53 this June, still riding a rigid SS and enjoying it. Actually feeling stronger this past year than I have in a long time, although I notch that up to how I have been riding. Typically only still get out a couple days a week to ride, but on those days, I have been putting in considerably more miles and tend to ride trails that require more climbing and skills. Feel pretty good, fitness wise, when I am riding.

Used to run a lot and enjoy it. Come home from work, grab some tunes, and head out the front door for how many miles I felt up to. Not riding, but a good, convenient way to clear the head. About 10 years ago, injured my left knee and the last couple years if I run more than a couple miles, it aches for days. That does make me feel old. Fortunately, hammering my SS does not seem to phase that knee. If anything, it makes me feel better.

I can relate to LaloKera's experience with his daughter. 11, soon to be 12 year old daughter that showed me today how to set up my wife's new Ipad tablet and a 15 year old daughter, that does not look like a little girl anymore, bugging me about getting her learner's permit. Gads! I need riding now more than ever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The one thing I notice now compared to ten years ago is that I hurt more after long rides than I used to. Nothing to intense, just aches and pains in the quads and arms that last longer and sometimes require Motrin. Every now and then I decide to just stay home and not work out or ride even if I have time...which was unthinkable ten years ago when I finished residency training and all of a sudden had more time.

Not that I used to work out or ride every day; only that if I had the time I would. I need more rest days now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    Will be 53 this June, still riding a rigid SS and enjoying it. Actually feeling stronger this past year than I have in a long time, although I notch that up to how I have been riding. Typically only still get out a couple days a week to ride, but on those days, I have been putting in considerably more miles and tend to ride trails that require more climbing and skills. Feel pretty good, fitness wise, when I am riding.

Used to run a lot and enjoy it. Come home from work, grab some tunes, and head out the front door for how many miles I felt up to. Not riding, but a good, convenient way to clear the head. About 10 years ago, injured my left knee and the last couple years if I run more than a couple miles, it aches for days. That does make me feel old. Fortunately, hammering my SS does not seem to phase that knee. If anything, it makes me feel better.

I can relate to LaloKera's experience with his daughter. 11, soon to be 12 year old daughter that showed me today how to set up my wife's new Ipad tablet and a 15 year old daughter, that does not look like a little girl anymore, bugging me about getting her learner's permit. Gads! I need riding now more than ever.
    I had a really bad hamstring injury a few years ago. I could hardly walk for a couple of weeks and it still hurts a little every now and then...tore the muscle itself...but miraculously it didn't really effect my riding.

Of course, if I had to get off the bike it hurt like nobody's business for a few months. On my last Tour Divide attempt my knee got so bad that, while I could pedal easily, twisting out of the clips was like torture on some days.

I want to bring up another subject relating to age: I definitely have more cares and concerns than I used to. On last years Tour Divide not only was I going through a really vicious lawsuit from my ex-wife and a few malpractice suits (that are mostly frivolous) but just after I landed in Banff my lawyer called to tell me I was named in a suit that is definitely not frivolous and could be a career-killer. To say my mind was not on the race would be an understatement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am 48 and starting up again after a long break. I had health problems that took me off the bike years ago, and I lost all my fitness, and last fall I decided to start up again. I felt like I never fully recovered for months last fall, even just doing short rides a few times a week. Then I started Zwifting in February figuring I need to build up my fitness in a slow reasonable manner. I have been doing around 80-100 Zwift miles a week for a month and a half now, and I am still recovering slowly. I can't do hard or even medium rides on successive days anymore. If I do real hard workout, I need at least two days recovery. I have been enjoying riding, so it takes discipline to ride easy or take the day off. My heart rate is a lot different now. I used to go over 200 BPM on a full out effort, and now my heart rate rarely hits 150. Partly due to blood pressure meds I believe. Riding along at tempo I used to sit around 160 or more, and now at the same sort of effort it is more like 125.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Unless you were very competitive in your younger years you have a lot of potential to discover and improving to do. I've got more than a decade on you and am still setting pr's and gunning for occasional kom's.
    I don't doubt that. Ridimg bike is my saving grace. It's all the normal everyday things about getting old that are bumming me out. I slipped on a wet muddy parking lot 4 months ago and both of my knees hurt worse now, 4 months later, than any time in my past, and I was a very involved and competitive athlete in my high school and early college years. I'm afraid I really damaged them. Add to that, my vision recently got worse, noticeably.

My stamina feels great though. I just wonder what others' perceptions are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Over your head. Basically what happened in the last several posts. Shame on you all.
    That's because you misquoted the last line....."But I'm as good ONCE as I ever was"
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Turned 50 at the end of January. Been riding MTB for about 6 years now. Bought my 電ream bike last year as an early 50th gift (figured I should start enjoying it as soon as possible.., while I was still 土oung!).

Still have my first real MTB (29er HT, just converted it from 3x9 to 1x9 this month). The FS bike definitely helps my feel less beat up after hard rides these days. But I don稚 feel that I致e become less timid hitting stuff now compared to a few years ago.

Back-to-back days are pretty much out though. Doesn稚 seem to matter what the trails are like or how hard I push. Can稚 really get up for that 2nd straight day.

Also less likely to get up early and ride. Cold temps haven稚 bothered me yet so at least I still ride through the Midwest winters.

I have noticed it痴 easier to beg off going for a ride (too tired, too achy, too much other things to do, etc). Takes more convincing to get out and ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mid-thirties.

I have better skills and downhill ability than ever. But my endurance peak is in the past, which is less my age and more my not giving a shit.

Though I'm in the prime of my shit-talking years.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

That's because you misquoted the last line....."But I'm as good ONCE as I ever was"
    Ahh. . good catch. I知 still not convinced that was the reason. I知 thinking we致e got a bunch of smimmers amongst us.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    45 here. I always feel like I'm 15 again when I get on a bike. Each time I ride, I try to ride something better than I did last ride. Just took up large gap jump lines (finally!), and will probably upgrade to a full face later this year.

I was trying to be XC earlier in life, but I don't have the will to punish myself like that anymore. I ride to have fun, and only climb to get to the downhills.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    At 51 I can say it takes longer to gain fitness and less time to lose it. And, this is the real kicker, even if I exercise more than I did when I was younger, I have to eat less to maintain the same weight. I used to be able to ride 3-4 times a week and eat any and everything I wanted. Not so much anymore.

No known cure
    This very short Pinkbike video of my good friend Mike is appropriate for this thread.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/50-years...ke-bishop.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    45 here. Been riding mtb on and off since I was 16 maybe? I did get away from it for about 10 years and was blown away at the technology when I came back! I believe I am faster and better on the bike now than I ever have been (big air being the exception). Diet seems to play a much bigger part of my overall (and cycling) fitness than when I was younger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    68 in a couple of weeks

:-) Never had endurance, but always tried to go faster and suffered pleasure lost more than fitness gained. A few years ago, I gave up trying harder and just enjoyed being on the bike and poking around on the trails.

:-) More careful, I let my wife track my phone as I usually ride alone. More for her, but I admit it's nice knowing there's a better chance I'll be found if I'm off the main trails.

:-) Find myself riding easier trails

:-) I ride more rail trails when it's hot. Cop the breeze, outrun the bugs.

:-) I am more and more thankful that I am still on the bike.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great thread!

I've only been riding 4 years and I'm 47. Still improving notably. Was not a natural (at all) but ride quite impressively these days.

I'm not the most fit I've ever been but that isn't what slows be down. Breaking 20+ bones on motorcycles previously, the arthritis, and the fear of new injury are what limits me now. I'm flat scared of getting injured badly again.

Also as a business owner the stresses and phone calls are relentless.

Still absolutely loving it and wish I could ride more. Retirement to me is all about traveling to ride way more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Uncle
    My stamina feels great though. I just wonder what others' perceptions are.
    Probably best to just ask her?

e=mtb2

Kids graduated from college, check

Grandkids in good hands, check

Retired, check

GOOD TO GO! Now have time to pedal (or paddle) 6 days a week, year-round here in SoCal. Short 砺acation trips can be any time to the Cali痴 desert, Central Coast, or Tahoe, as well as longer excursions to Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, or Oregon. FUN!

The motor is not as strong of course, but I have to say I enjoy biking more than ever. This is probably because I better appreciate the good fortune of just being able to have these experiences. Mike Bishop expressed similar sentiments in the neat pinkbike video that Vader posted above.

Advances in bike tech have also allowed me to keep riding at about the same level. Skills were never that great so improvements in suspension and handling of modern bikes actually let me cope with technical terrain better and have even more fun than before.

One concession to aging that I致e made is to the creature comforts of a camper van with a nice bed, a shower and weather protection. Haven稚 been bikepacking in a while, but I壇 like to get back to the rewards it offers.

mtbr member

Bikes: '17 Nukeproof Scout 290, '17 Giant Reign 2...

MTB'in: 4 years in & I'm 5 times the rider I was when I started out...

I've had a couple of injuries along the way (haven't we all?), but they're only set backs i.e. what doesn't kill you...

Providing work, family life don't cause clashes - I'll be doing 2x Enduro races this year (first timer too).

I've done a couple 1 day Enduro events & that style/format of riding suits me.

My own kids growing & enjoying riding, will keep me feeling young & engaged in the future, for sure.

Can't wait until the day when/where my two boys & I can be a 3 man team at a most laps event. It will be epic!

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member

In your own words, how has aging affected your mountain biking? State your age also.

Started at 13 so 1992 when shit was getting hot (suspension forks - rock shox mag 21, yeti w ano ringle, kona, answer manitou, Rocky hammers etc etc etc ...
    3 1/2 years of shredding on my Bianchi ocelot ?? ,Breezer Storm and a specialized Stumpjumper. Rode all season and everyday to school in grade 10 even in freezing winter with ski goggles on and only 1 major spill on black ice. Survived. Manitou bumper were frozen rock solid zero travel. Ppl thought I was a ****in idiot riding in winter who would of ever thought winter fatbiking would be cool.
    At around 16 started being cool friends were getting cars, smoking, pool halls, skipping class, wannabe gangster lifestyle. Dropped the mtb thing altogether.
    Around 2009 browsing online came across an add for a used specialized epic marathon - looked cool and reminded me of my old stumpjumper. Went and picked it up cause it was steal of a deal off a kid that was probably entering the same life cycle I was back at 16.
    Now 39 soon and enjoy riding for past decade. Met many new friends that share the same passion. Enjoying all the singletrack my home city has to offer outside my front door.
    Fitness was good until last 3 yrs when 2 beautiful kids and family life got in the way, but still try my best to get out ride as much as I can.
    Peace!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Turning 50 in 3 weeks time

* injury recovery time a lot longer - even cuts taking ages to heal
    * confidence and skills decreasing, probably due to a big off a few years ago and generally a lack of riding time with work and family
    * general recovery a lot longer - have limited longer rides which has helped. Riding really hard for two days in a row increases the chance of an illness.

Always been a bit on the heavy side - still haven't dialled my diet in after years of trying (sort of) but feeling now as if I will just have to harden up and do it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

I'm getting every year faster. I changed my work place 2016 which allows me to ride 3 times (2-3h) a week comparing to the one ride a week I was doing before.
    Of course the bikes are also more expensive.
    I started MTB 2008 and then lost 20kg. But after summer vacation each year it has been more difficult to loose weight and every year slightly heavier and have now 3 kg more that 10years ago (77kg). Of course it could be more muscles as Iエm faster...

I had a bad knee injury 2002, which affect my running but luckily not biking.
    Lot of riders I ride with are getting faster themself up to avarage 55 years, so I'm not worried for the coming years about my age.
    Last edited by masm71; 03-19-2018 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How has mt biking affected my aging? 55 here. Great blood pressure. Only weigh 10 pounds more than I did in my first year of college. Great legs( according to her) great general health and well being. Generally faster than when I started with much longer endurance. Hindsight is 20/20. Ride within your limits, distance as well as skill level. Yoga is great for recovery and core strength. Highly recommended. Sure some longer recovery times, but mix it up some. I commute by bike on a regular basis as well do some bikepacking too.

mtbr member
    Reactions, or more accurately, increasing reaction time.

In my late 50痴 I used to think I still 塗ad it: riding fast enough to experience the thrill of near-misses & epic saves that riding at the brink-of-control gives.

Then we started riding with our sons. It was stunning to watch how quickly they could react to 鉄urprise! features or situations on a trail. Humbling too. I learned strength, stamina, and skill are all subordinate to reaction time.

But there is a positive flip side to this. I still ride through sections that I think simply cannot be ridden through faster clipping trees, tires sliding, ducking under branches, perfect shifts, whoohoo! But the only reason it feels that way is because of my slower reaction time. The impression is that I'm going as fast as I always have. But the stopwatch tells a different story.

So happily, the thrill is still there; I really am flirting with disaster near-misses & such but it merely happens at a slower pace.

64 years old.

mtbr member
    As others state, recovery from hard rides is longer (young 50's here).

With proper training, muscle strength and aerobic capacity are fine as long as I keep at it. It tends to go away faster than the old days! I train smarter and harder, keeping in mind that rest days are crucial
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

1. Risk and reward. Couple years ago, I crashed and destroyed both shoulders, broke 6 ribs and concussed. After missing and/or suffering through the rest of that season, I had shoulder surgeries amounting to over $130K. I am much more hesitant to ride technical features on any trail--especially the trails I have ridden 1,000 times.

2. Speed, power, and endurance are as good as they have ever been. Maybe better some days. My 40's certainly are better than my teens and 20's.

3. Time. I have more time to ride. We started our family early. Our youngest is 20. That being said, the wife and I get out and ride whenever, wherever and as much as we want. Usually 5+ times a week if the weather cooperates. Also, we have more mtb road trips...ah the joys of empty nesting.

4. Disposable income. I don't buy the bling but I buy quality engineering. It costs more and between the two of us, we have 14 bikes in the stable. Its nice to be able service stuff when it needs servicing. And replace stuff when it fails or wears out. I couldn't always afford to do so in my teens and 20's. I remember one season riding/racing on a locked out Mag20...good times. NOT.

mtbr member
    I'm 65, and have been riding since 1990.
    Using technology to compensate for age, my times have actually improved. I have kept track of climb times on several local trails for about 15 years. Through better gear, and better technique, I set several personal "time to climb" records last summer on trails in the 45 minute and 1000 foot climb category. I don't go crazy on the downhills, though, and my times on longer rides have remained about the same. It helps that I live at 6500 feet, and about a dozen years ago, I took up telemark skiing to enhance fitness. I get about 80 days per year doing that, and really concentrate on skiing moguls which also helps with leg and core strength and endurance.

mtbr member
    With 21 years on mountain bikes and bmx before that, I'm a better rider all around at 39 than I was at 29 or 19. I ride a lot smarter and don't crash much, but if anything I'm faster overall than I was when I was younger.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    ... But my endurance peak is in the past, which is less my age and more my not giving a shit.

Man, you guys are OLD!

I don't think much about my age. I hafta do the math to remember: I'm, umm... 48.
    I've been riding since I was 4, and off-road since I was 8. I have crashed, bonked, froze (a little), over-heated (a little), rode hung-over, rode injured, and have managed to put together some awesome rides over the years even as I watched my fitness ebb and flow.
    My skills are still improving, but they are pretty good.
    My endurance and speed (those are separate things) are in step with how much I ride in each discipline - they don't seem to be age-related at all. Not even a little.
    My reflexes or fast-twitch were never that fast - so, not much age-related effect there either.
    I have this luck/karma meter in my head. If I get lucky and avoid a crash with a great recovery/save, I am very reserved for awhile (like months) until I save up some more. I've been known to take some serious risks at speed (but never twice in the same trip). In the old days, I just went for it all. the. time. ...and paid for it. Recovery was much shorter then, though.
    Maybe the one thing that I'm starting to notice is that my upper body doesn't maintain strength like my lower half does. Granted, I have some loose shoulder joints and maybe some things that will never be right again, but the loss of strength is still noticeable.
    I do spend more time at cruiser speed than I used to, but in the past I was nearly as fast on my way to the trails as most of the roadies, so still not slow.
    I guess the biggest realization is that I'll never really be "fast" - even if I got serious. But then, the goal has never been to be fast; I just always wanted to ride more and go farther and see more, so I rode more.
    BTW - my main bike, 9 months of the year, is still rigid. I have not experienced any back/shoulder/neck/whatever problems because of riding without suspension. But yeah, my triceps are on fire if I tackle a tough trail in the early season.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    How has mt biking affected my aging? 55 here. Great blood pressure. Only weigh 10 pounds more than I did in my first year of college. Great legs( according to her) great general health and well being. Generally faster than when I started with much longer endurance. Hindsight is 20/20. Ride within your limits, distance as well as skill level. Yoga is great for recovery and core strength. Highly recommended. Sure some longer recovery times, but mix it up some. I commute by bike on a regular basis as well do some bikepacking too.
    Was waiting for someone to take it the other way.
    Cycling litterally turns back the clock in very measurable ways.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0308143123.htm

Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Takes longer to recover from injury so avoid jumps and crazy stuff, can ride longer with a slower steady pace but after a couple hours my hands and arms start to hurt and eventually numb due to CTS so my rides are usually 1.5hrs long and that allows me to be functional the rest of the day. Also don't usually ride on consecutive days.

15 years ago would go for xc races, endurance and adventure races (solo or team), now not even thinking about any of that.

mtbr member
    59 in Oct...I feel like I'm riding as strong as I ever have (started in the 80's). I can still do a back to back but that 2nd day starts with more aches and pains than it used to...once I get the juices flowing I'm good.

I still have the same inner drive to push myself but past incidents have a way of tempering that from time to time depending on terrain/conditions. I've always been a strong skier (ex racer) and push myself on the mountain too...very similar physical activity with gravity, speed and hard objects involved if you screw up (it's called CONSEQUENCES). Let's just say there's something to that 'older and wiser' thing. The object is to have a great day and get my 'fix' WITHOUT having to get something fixed.

I've always been a gearhead so also enjoy wrenching as much as ever...sorta like a hobby to me keeping cars, motorcycles, ski's, bikes all tuned and ready.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Snow Dog

1 year out of a heart attack

The 2 biggest things I notice are the loss of endurance after not riding for a while, and more fear of falling when attempting risky stuff...hence, less attempting risky stuff.

The 3 months off after the heart attack really effected my endurance and strength. Still making up that muscle loss.

On the positive side, I have more time to ride now because I am less stressed out about "keeping up" at work, and I am more motivated to ride because I make more time to do it...because of worrying less about "keeping up" at work.

I have also gained a "minimalist" approach to riding. I have simplified my approach to gear, how and when I ride, and the definition of a "Good" ride is a lot more broad
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post

1 year out of a heart attack

The 2 biggest things I notice are the loss of endurance after not riding for a while, and more fear of falling when attempting risky stuff...hence, less attempting risky stuff.

The 3 months off after the heart attack really effected my endurance and strength. Still making up that muscle loss.

On the positive side, I have more time to ride now because I am less stressed out about "keeping up" at work, and I am more motivated to ride because I make more time to do it...because of worrying less about "keeping up" at work.

I have also gained a "minimalist" approach to riding. I have simplified my approach to gear, how and when I ride, and the definition of a "Good" ride is a lot more broad
    Have you posted previously about your pre-heart attack health or if there were any warning signs?

Co Springs
    I'm 56. Slight dose of BP med and one for cholesterol.

* I have more respect for the bike and the trails than ever before.
    This comes with aging and the wisdom / experience associated over the past two decades.

* I'm more interested than ever in biking for fitness and health reasons these days.
    I was always thin and had the appearance of being fit and in good shape without ever having to do anything but that slides away a bit over time and the past 17 years of a career change has taken away some of the exercise that I took more for granted in previous work-life. I know this sounds a lot like an excuse if I don't make up for that lacking fitness byproduct with more diligent pursuits of activity but I'd rather not talk about so don't bring it up again !
    I'm steadily in the 170 to 174 range at 5' 10.75 and a bit of beer belly bump, like " 3 months along or so".

* Was never a speed hound but I'm definitely more reserved on the downhill loop.
    I find a moderate speed where I still feel that effortless flow and enjoy the free feet.per.second velocity but really fight that visual image of a dismantled scene, field littered with bike or body parts etc. Things happen fast and I'm fortunate to have had only a few major malfunctions in my time so I heed the memories without conscious effort.

* Aging has given me more incentive to advance my tech skills and ability even though I've yet to impress or 'shine'.
    I do believe the slower pace of learning those skills can help redirect me (my interests) to focus on things less dangerous, more rewarding and keep the challenge of the ride where I need improvement while enhancing the fitness aspect.
    To me, the beauty of a bike ride (any) is the way it feeds me as 'the rider'. One day might be the outdoor elements, temps, fog, snow or scenery. Those conditions that help me feel more alive and provide the giddy'up to generate the body warmth needed.
    Other times, it's meeting up with friends or that small group fellowship / recreation. Enjoying the company and never even thinking about the workout or fitness aspect sometimes.

* Lastly (for now), I feel that aging has had a very positive effect on me related to biking in the aspect of mental health and attitude.
    Any (and there are some) aches or pains and limitations for what I can do, how often I can ride or down time needed between big rides versus 6, ten or twelve years ago is not nearly too much trade-off IMO for the positives I get out it these days.
    Probably obvious and no disclaimer needed that I'm not commenting from a background in racing or competition!

btw- Excellent question and post to provide.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

psycho cyclo addict

I still rack up 3000+ miles per year (knobby tires everywhere) and hit all sorts of trails from buff single track to rocky technical. Feeling a bit fatter/lazier/slower recently... not sure if it is temporary or not.

I intend to keep on pedaling until my legs can't turn the cranks anymore.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Bikesexual
    52 - Started riding about 4 years ago, life took a swing at me and had to stop just after starting. Last couple of years though, its basically all do for fun, peace, health etc.

My killer is not being able to ride consistently - 6/7 days off the bike, and it feels like starting over. I'm in decent health, but do have a hyper thyroid which is the only meds I take 10mg daily.

I've to say riding has re-rejuvenated me in a sense. Hardly drink anymore, no more 4am drunken stunts, and being out on the trail is just where I prefer to be. Things have changed for the positive.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Pro Crastinator
    46. my riding hasn't changed, but the time of recovery has doubled...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I've only been mountain biking in earnest for 5 years, but have ridden a bike pretty much all my life. I've felt the best on the bike two years ago, when I was racing and pushing myself. I also got injured more frequently and that sucked since like other have said, recovery just takes a lot longer--even cuts and bruises take longer to go away. Now my bike skills are a lot better, but I don't feel like I have it in me to push myself without thinking of consequences. I'd ride chicken out on a drop or jump and get to ride the next day, then to go for it and crash. I do want to do the gnarly stuff, but I can't afford to get hurt to the point where I can't ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    From MX to MTB I've been riding since my teens. I'm one of those small thin guys so weight never wore my knees, and I skipped football and did soccer in my young days. I get tired, but recover in a couple of days compared to weeks for the guys with damaged/aged knees. In '13 two of my pals bought some 29" bikes and changed the way we ride. After beating my bike for a couple of years I updated too. Longer Lower Slacker 27.5. I got motivated to get back to the front of my pack and worked on my skillset. While always fun, riding faster is more fun and I've became addicted to getting as fast and fly as far as possible. My limit is time and how much I choose to spend working out. Not crashing became important to me because the 1 that hurt bad cost me too much time off the trail.
    For some it happens in the 40s for me it was my mid-50s but damage-recovery begins to take too long. I've got young kids (most think I'm the grandpa) so I've recognized how time is the most valuable thing in the world. I enjoy my time on MTBR as I've always liked benchracing too, so hello to all you other bullsh*t artists posting here.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Nothing seems to kill me
    54, I have been riding since about 85-86. I have had a lot of broken bones and other injuries.
    I still charge hard and love techy rides, up and down. I still jump and love drops up to 5'.
    Endurance wise I probably peaked at 42-45. Recovery takes longer now and like some others here a small amount of alcohol adds to recovery times.
    Can't ride as far or as fast as I once did due to hip and back issues. Still ride throughout the year but much shorter rides.
    Most of my rides now are 6-10 miles, but usually pretty techy up and down. Then a ton of stretching. I can do a 20-25 miler but my back will hate me afterwards. My last big ride was a few years ago. I did 62 miles in a weekend at Buffalo Creek, 20 the first day and 42 the second.
    Spent 60 days off the bike this winter trying to get my back in better shape, so hopefully I can do a few epic rides this summer.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    38. Been riding since I was 10, still riding a decent amount. I don't have the energy/strength that I used. I also don't take the bigger risks like I used to. Definitely calculate fun/risk ratio a lot more these days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    adversely

mtbr member
    Interesting and a little disheartening that longer recovery times seem to be nearly universal as people age, not surprising I suppose. I guess I'm sort of a freak because I'd ride 6 days a week if I could, spare time is the only thing holding me back. I'll take what I can get and enjoy it while I can.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Co Springs
    Interesting and a little disheartening that longer recovery times seem to be nearly universal as people age, not surprising I suppose. I guess I'm sort of a freak because I'd ride 6 days a week if I could, spare time is the only thing holding me back. I'll take what I can get and enjoy it while I can.
    I wonder if there is a pattern or a ratio to recovery time even with us older people if were we to chart who rides pretty strong or regularly 3 to 5 days a week versus those that ride 4 to 10 times a month. Maybe it would reveal results less disheartening.

In my case, I almost certain my fatigue or lagging recovery stems for that "weekend warrior syndrome" since I'm anything but a consistent rider any given week or month or length and type of rides.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I wonder if there is a pattern or a ratio to recovery time even with us older people if were we to chart who rides pretty strong or regularly 3 to 5 days a week versus those that ride 4 to 10 times a month. Maybe it would reveal results less disheartening.

That would be interesting, in my case I've found the more I ride the better I feel and I'm usually ready to go the next day.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post

In my case, I almost certain my fatigue or lagging recovery stems for that "weekend warrior syndrome" since I'm anything but a consistent rider any given week or month or length and type of rides.
    I set myself a small goal of 30mi. x week, it has helped. I don't always make it, but sometimes I pass it.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    59. Survived a severe heart attack 2 years ago

I am a better rider that I was even five years ago, especially downhill, but I am slower uphill. Hard to tell why it is so. Age, maybe the light damage to the heart, but most likely the statin drugs that are killing me (I am in pretty much in constant pain). But ... I could be dead, so it is a present every time I go riding!

I ride pretty much every day Oct to March, 1.25 hours is the norm with the occasional 2-2.5h. The short ride requires no recovery the day after. Than windsurfing season kicks in, and Apr to Sep MTB is less frequent.

I am not too worried about further decline, it is part of being human. It might come up quick, and then it might be a bit hard to adapt to a more sedentary existence (but there are e-bikes, and sailboats, at the horizon! )
    Last edited by Davide; 03-20-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Music & Bikes
    I'm 52 , I'm a lot less Kamikaze than I use to be.
    I'm more into longer runs , slower.
    I do more road ride than I use to.

In MTBing , I'm a better climber , not faster but better.
    (Experience)

I'll probably get a FS bike when I'll get old......
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I set myself a small goal of 30mi. x week, it has helped. I don't always make it, but sometimes I pass it.
    Cool !
    From what I'm reading of others and recall, I'll guess that most riders with consistency and most age groups fair better for recovery. In a sense, I'd thing that true of most fitness or athletic endeavors.

Shameful - There is no reason on earth I can't be fitting in sit up's 3 - 5 times a week and the elliptical at ? min daily.
    None of that is a time vampire like planning a ride, meeting up, getting there and back.

That would be interesting, in my case I've found the more I ride the better I feel and I'm usually ready to go the next day.
    Just realizing one of the things I enjoy gleaning from others and mtbr in general is all the positive and encouraging information and experiences shared. Sometimes, what is possible may otherwise fall through the cracks or go by undetected.

mtbr member
    I don't think it's the consecutive days of riding that matters as much as the intensity of those rides.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I don't think it's the consecutive days of riding that matters as much as the intensity of those rides.
    Agreed it's the burn, also it's not the "consecutive" part, for me just getting in 3 rides a week makes huge diff in my stamina. The climbs here are short and if I'm losing speed on them it's confirmation I've only been on the trail like once a week for a while. I'll renew efforts to get out more; cresting a hill at speed morphs the following section of trial. Like a different trail entirely.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member

I'm 71 and still a kid!

I'm an old(er) fart that still feels young. Young with the experience of the years of wisdom while being present.

I started MTB biking to get through a nasty divorce in 1986. It worked!
    That Cannondale was my rocket ship to freedom. I've stayed with riding ever since. I tried racing in 1993 at the Norba Championships in PC, but that was way too frenetic for me. It was more where the bike could take me: high up into the mountains of Utah (Wasatch Crest Trail) that mattered most. Now, my only regret is I didn't retire 5 years earlier as I'm so loving riding three to four days a week for the last 11 years. Settling into the Mendocino coastal area is the best thing I've ever done after leaving Bend OR (3 year hiatus) via Salt Lake City (20 year stint).

Living here has afforded me year round opportunities to ride as much as I care to get in. Most of us are older with the oldest and still charging hard is Jack (my co-author of the guidebook) at 78! So, that brings me to my perspective on why we ride: It's about the comradery of good friends. We support one another regardless of who is last to the top of the climbs. There is always someone who is faster (BigBike Nick-who'll be turning 60 in May!) but it isn't a race, but an opportunity to be a kid, each time we ride. Riding is similar to ski racing: it's about challenging yourself, no one else. If you compare yourself to others you lose the essence of why one is riding in the first place. My only goal in riding is the number of miles I accumulate in a year (3000+). No Strava. No Personal "Best Awards". Just the "Ride"! Beside being in good shape, I can eat all the pizza I care to devour. I use to be a bike guide (Mendocino Bike Sprites) until the JDSF threatened us with citations. The beauty of guiding was meeting so many great folks who had similar desires: to experience new trails without the fear of getting lost. To be able to commune with each other in a friendly, unthreatened manner leaving any macho at the door. Macho rides alone!

I love what aging has taught me: It is the opportunity to be gentler, more aware, and more forgiving. With each ride comes harmony and endorphins and lots of smiling. I hope to carry this forward through the years ahead. What comes will be a great mystery, but also the opportunity to enjoy all there is on my Ripley "Believe of not"!. Then, it's time for another pint of IPA and a second slice of life!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In your own words, how has aging affected your mountain biking? State your age also.-19sent.jpg  

Music & Bikes
    Really nice thread guys , wish we had the "like" option

Nice to read about others in my group age !
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Anytime. Anywhere.
    This is inspiring. As a sick sort of science experiment I mountainbiked 5 days in a row ending with a great ride last night. Normally I ride 2-3 days in a row and then recover and at 59 this seems to work well. I did it and managed to climb in the gears I usually do for each section. My coordination was off a notch last night but it's hard to say what the cause was. I have days when I'm on fire and a few where I'm all over the place. The last two days my whole body ached after the rides, and while I'm tired today, I feel like I could still knock off a lap today. I only set 1 goal, and that is to climb at least 80km a year, and ride a lot so I can ride a lot.

mtbr member
    53 and while I know I'm not as fast on the climbs, I can still sit back and spin pretty well. Techy climbing has always been my strong point and it's the one area where I can still pull away from most of our riding group. I've definitely gotten better going downhill the last few years (after 25 years of riding) because I finally forced myself to stop "picking a line" and just plow over the chunder. It took me a trip OTB, lawn darting on my head and fracturing my neck at age 49 to learn that lesson. Fitness wise, I'm not as physically strong as I was because I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week but riding wise, I'm probably better because I ride a lot more in retirement.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yup, sometimes it's best to let the bike do it's job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    I'm an old(er) fart that still feels young. Young with the experience of the years of wisdom while being present.

I started MTB biking to get through a nasty divorce in 1986. It worked!
    That Cannondale was my rocket ship to freedom. I've stayed with riding ever since. I tried racing in 1993 at the Norba Championships in PC, but that was way too frenetic for me. It was more where the bike could take me: high up into the mountains of Utah (Wasatch Crest Trail) that mattered most. Now, my only regret is I didn't retire 5 years earlier as I'm so loving riding three to four days a week for the last 11 years. Settling into the Mendocino coastal area is the best thing I've ever done after leaving Bend OR (3 year hiatus) via Salt Lake City (20 year stint).

Living here has afforded me year round opportunities to ride as much as I care to get in. Most of us are older with the oldest and still charging hard is Jack (my co-author of the guidebook) at 78! So, that brings me to my perspective on why we ride: It's about the comradery of good friends. We support one another regardless of who is last to the top of the climbs. There is always someone who is faster (BigBike Nick-who'll be turning 60 in May!) but it isn't a race, but an opportunity to be a kid, each time we ride. Riding is similar to ski racing: it's about challenging yourself, no one else. If you compare yourself to others you lose the essence of why one is riding in the first place. My only goal in riding is the number of miles I accumulate in a year (3000+). No Strava. No Personal "Best Awards". Just the "Ride"! Beside being in good shape, I can eat all the pizza I care to devour. I use to be a bike guide (Mendocino Bike Sprites) until the JDSF threatened us with citations. The beauty of guiding was meeting so many great folks who had similar desires: to experience new trails without the fear of getting lost. To be able to commune with each other in a friendly, unthreatened manner leaving any macho at the door. Macho rides alone!

I love what aging has taught me: It is the opportunity to be gentler, more aware, and more forgiving. With each ride comes harmony and endorphins and lots of smiling. I hope to carry this forward through the years ahead. What comes will be a great mystery, but also the opportunity to enjoy all there is on my Ripley "Believe of not"!. Then, it's time for another pint of IPA and a second slice of life!
    Love it!
    Where's the like button indeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I'd describe the majority of my rides as high intensity. I'm not doubting that age effects recovery times as people are reporting here but I haven't noticed it yet, something to look forward to I guess
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    70 y/o and love Mtbing. Cut out the techie stuff and enjoy XC. But in Massachusetts there痴 always roots and rocks. I ride a SC Tallboy C. But Cape Cod offers miles of old MX trails. So now we do a lot of exploring on my fat bike. Never know what you値l encounter. And there痴 nothing wrong with stopping to catch my breath and check out the view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I noticed absolutely no difference in recovery times. But I eat a very clean diet, am slender but never smoke, it's mostly just about my current Fitness level.

To be frank, I'm faster than a most of the people I encounter. And most the ones that beat me seem to be older than me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast