Your IMBA Membership is Expiring in 10 Months! Renew Now!- Mtbr.com
    Professional Crastinator

Your IMBA Membership is Expiring in 10 Months! Renew Now!

AND have a free subscription to a magazine that's not even about mountain biking.

Now send us $40 for a 2015 IMBA calendar.

Gee... uh... thanks?

-F

PS - Your IMBA membership is expiring in 9 months! Renew now!...
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

No more imba for me, thanks.

Your Best Friend
    So what international/national mountain bike advocacy group are you going to support instead?
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    So what international/national mountain bike advocacy group are you going to support instead?
    One that doesn't swing from the nutts of the Sierra Club.

mtbr member

Your IMBA Membership is Expiring in 10 Months! Renew Now!

IMBA is quickly getting a bad rep in northern California for taking our money and then building trails and advocating throughout the rest of the country. They have been notably absent from any conflicts we have had here. Smaller, locally based organizations have been far more successful.

Here is one great example of that -
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=940576

My local Mtn bike advocacy group was FATRAC. Www.fatrac.org
    They are now an IMBA chapter. After the IMBA chapter change, there was a strong resurgence in membership and a change in leadership. However not much has changed in the past year. I'm not sure I will renew my membership again.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm a member and have been for a while, but they don't do a
    damn thing for us in San Diego. There are so many trails being
    closed that pretty soon we won't have much left to ride.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I'm content to support IMBA one time per year when I renew my membership on an annual basis.

I don't need 12 renewal reminders sent to my house (what an extravagant waste of postage and paper - not where I want my $$$ spent). To be fair, the only reason I received 12 reminders was that there were 6 for me and 6 for my daughter.

Really, I see it all year long in their different publications and newsletters in addition to the reminders in the mail. It's kind of annoying and I told them so, but it doesn't stop.

And here's something I've been wondering -
    Say your membership expires on January 1. If you renew on October 1, does your renewal start on Jan. 1, or do they move your expiration date back to October 1? You would effectively pay twice for Oct., Nov., and Dec.

Could you renew twice in one year if you forgot that you already sent it in? I'll bet you could.

It's all voluntary, so no big deal for IMBA, but I don't really like how it looks on the surface.

-F

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I'm content to support IMBA one time per year when I renew my membership on an annual basis.

I don't need 12 renewal reminders sent to my house (what an extravagant waste of postage and paper - not where I want my $$$ spent). To be fair, the only reason I received 12 reminders was that there were 6 for me and 6 for my daughter.

Really, I see it all year long in their different publications and newsletters in addition to the reminders in the mail. It's kind of annoying and I told them so, but it doesn't stop.

And here's something I've been wondering -
    Say your membership expires on January 1. If you renew on October 1, does your renewal start on Jan. 1, or do they move your expiration date back to October 1? You would effectively pay twice for Oct., Nov., and Dec.

Could you renew twice in one year if you forgot that you already sent it in? I'll bet you could.

It's all voluntary, so no big deal for IMBA, but I don't really like how it looks on the surface.

-F
    Thank you. That's the main reason I stopped my membership. I'm already a member, YOU DON'T NEED TO SEND ME JUNK MAIL WEEK AFTER WEEK WITH MEMBERSHIP OFFERS.

As you found out, they don't listen. I'm content to do local trailwork, instead. (Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, thanks for asking)
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    No more imba for me, thanks.
    Same here. Enough.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

since 4/10/2009
    You CAN control mailings and reminders (somewhat) with their online system.

I get VERY little, and if anything, the most common complaint in my club is that they fail to send ANY reminders all too often. And then you get reminders AFTER you renew.

DeForest Stump
    If I join, will they send me a map of the whole forest?

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    You CAN control mailings and reminders (somewhat) with their online system.

I get VERY little, and if anything, the most common complaint in my club is that they fail to send ANY reminders all too often. And then you get reminders AFTER you renew.
    Mine must have defaulted to "Send me annoying reminders as often as possible", which consumed all the resources that would have otherwise been used to provide reminders for your group. Sorry 'bout that!

-F

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    IMBA is quickly getting a bad rep in northern California for taking our money and then building trails and advocating throughout the rest of the country. They have been notably absent from any conflicts we have had here. Smaller, locally based organizations have been far more successful.

Here is one great example of that -
    Cycling Ban on waterfront averted- Mtbr.com

My local Mtn bike advocacy group was FATRAC.
    They are now an IMBA chapter. After the IMBA chapter change, there was a strong resurgence in membership and a change in leadership. However not much has changed in the past year. I'm not sure I will renew my membership again.
    Yes you will. It takes a lot to turn an ocean liner around (State Parks), but I believe it is happening, with lots going on behind the scenes. You've been a workhorse in the field and should see this through. And I can't think of a high level issue in the past couple years that IMBA wasn't involved with. Don't let the Bay Area crap poison you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I'm a member and have been for a while, but they don't do a
    damn thing for us in San Diego. There are so many trails being
    closed that pretty soon we won't have much left to ride.
    True Dat. I don't even try to ride Mission Trails off of mast anymore...some of the best riding in the County.

mtbr member

IMBA threw our local IMBA chapter under the bus...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    IMBA is quickly getting a bad rep in northern California for taking our money and then building trails and advocating throughout the rest of the country. They have been notably absent from any conflicts we have had here.
    Not only did IMBA take our money and then spend it elsewhere, IMBA threw our local IMBA chapter under the bus! When we asked them for help with advocating against a trail closure by the Forest Service, which was done illegally, without even complying with the Forest Service's own rules; they sided with the Forest Service, and then closed our IMBA chapter, abandoning over 70 local mountain bikers! I demanded a full refund of every penny that I had ever paid in IMBA dues, as I felt as if they had accepted my $$$ under false pretenses. After airing my concerns on a different MTBR forum, they eventually agreed to give me the full refund that I demanded. Never again! I have come to realize that they
    1: Dumb down formerly great trails, and make them into boring, vanilla "flow trails".

2: Funnel as many public land trail projects as they can to their for profit branch, IMBA Trail Solutions, excluding local trail building companies through unfair, "insider" relationships with land managers, oftentimes securing the bid for a project before anyone else even knows that there is going to be a project. Then they morph the project into one of their boring, "flow trails".

3: Brown nose the Sierra Club, basically just apologizing for our existence, instead of growing a pair, and opposing them on "Wilderness" and other controversial issues. It's ridiculous for us to fund them, only to have them assist in hitting us over the head with a Sierra Club!

4. Beg for money constantly, with little transparency and even less say in how it gets used. My guess is that if most people understood how their IMBA dues were allocated, and what the actual breakdown between "overhead" and "campaigning for more donations" and "advocacy" work out to, that they would be pissed off and feel ripped off, and would find more productive investments for their hard earned money!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!