Is your house a mess....must see- Mtbr.com
    Go faster

MESSY HOUSE must seee//ot

This House is a mess

"Under the table is just enough room for her feet. I guess she has to move that box lid every time she sits down, I don't know."

"The sliding glass door is right to the left there, about two-thirds blocked by boxes. The boxes are placed specifically to allow just enough room to let the curtains open and close. That chair in front of the computer is the second of three places to sit."

"A full view of that wall. You can see the dangerous window here. Those plants on top of the bookshelf died because there was no way to water them. They've been sitting there decomposing for a few years now."
    Last edited by HellMuttCracker; 02-19-2004 at 09:33 PM.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by HellMuttCracker

that's hilarious.

and tragic.

that guy's got to get the hell outta there.

Jan 2004

Omg

holy ***** thats a lot of stuff i be scared to live in that house. id got nuts with no space.

Feb 2004

shame

you guys are foul for making fun of a person who OBVIOUSLY has mental problems. Try to remember "There, but for the grace of god go I".

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by scylla
    you guys are foul for making fun of a person who OBVIOUSLY has mental problems. Try to remember "There, but for the grace of god go I".
    OBVIOUSLY? Where is it made obvious?

Trevor!

Jan 2004

wasn't

wasn't making fun of any one stating a fact that thats a lot of stuff n that i could neve live in a place like that. how is that making fun of some one. n if this person does have a mental problem well then its ok it not their fault.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thats nothing

saw an epidode of cops where thay had to wear gas mask before going into this old ladys house.. it was full of cat crap, garbage, and she even had a dead cat in the freezer.. at least yours is clean and boxed up..

Jan 2004
    That was uhm, strangely very interesting.

Feb 2004

I've seen this before.

Another sad part of this type of situation is that in some cases after the people pass away it is found that there is several thousand dollars worth of stuff in the house. My friend is and auctioneer and did an auction at such a house and it brought over 1 hundred thousand dollars when they found coins and other old stuff.

Ride Instigator

Heh, you oughta' see my cube here...

Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Another sad part of this type of situation is that in some cases after the people pass away it is found that there is several thousand dollars worth of stuff in the house. My friend is and auctioneer and did an auction at such a house and it brought over 1 hundred thousand dollars when they found coins and other old stuff.
    It's simply amazing how much stuff you can fit into a 12 x 12 foot space and still get in there to work! The scary part is that I know where everything is and everything has a purpose. The advantage is that the boss stays the hell outta' here

An empty desk is the sign of an empty mind I always say.

mtbr member

Real Life experience

I come from a family of pack rats, and am pretty bad myself. Nothing to compare to the Crazy Mom though.

A childhood friend of mine was living at home with his mom in his mid '30s when I last visited. He had moved into the walk out basement and taken it over with his crap. Mainly because he had completely filled his bedroom upstairs. He had it so packed that there was only the couch to sit on with trails to the 2 doors, the bathroom and the TV (no remote). The rest of the family eventually ganged up on him and forced him to throw most of it out so his younger sister could move back in with her 2 kids.

I got a very temporary job over the summer after I graduated from college. Two young ladies living in a rental trailer took it upon themselves to find someone to fix their screens because the landlord was out of town. After I completed the job and got paid, the landlord returned and contacted me. He turned out to be a pretty nice guy, and tried to hire me to help him out with his rental properties, and in the course of chatting about his properties, told me that he had another trailer that he had been called in to make some repairs upon.

When he arrived he noticed that the floor was covered with dirty clothes. No big deal, except it wasn't just a few here and there, it was a layer over most of the floor area. And it was not just a thin layer, he claimed he had to duck his head to get through the doorways! When I challanged him how someone could have so many clothes, he said he had checked up on her, and she was a regular customer at the local Goodwill store, and would load up on new clothes rather than wash the old.

Walt

indigosky

I saw something like this...

in the newspaper recently about a guy whose house was floor to ceiling with old bike parts (no joke). There was on small path to walk through the entire house. Some "professional organizer" (think Monica from Friends) volunteered her time to remedy the problem, otherwise the city was going to demolish the house. The last picture showed this huge empty room, dust in the sunlight, with him sitting in a wood chair in the middle of the room. I think he donated some of the parts to a bikes for kids place, and the rest went into the trash. It said they filled 5 or 6 construction dumpsters worth over the month of cleaning. Wow.

indigosky

Hoarding

Ok, I found the article... Check the link. The story is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.anxietyandstress.com/sys-tmpl/hoarding/

jrm
    mtbr member

Not a bike in sight....

Quote Originally Posted by HellMuttCracker
    This House is a mess

"Under the table is just enough room for her feet. I guess she has to move that box lid every time she sits down, I don't know."

"The sliding glass door is right to the left there, about two-thirds blocked by boxes. The boxes are placed specifically to allow just enough room to let the curtains open and close. That chair in front of the computer is the second of three places to sit."

"A full view of that wall. You can see the dangerous window here. Those plants on top of the bookshelf died because there was no way to water them. They've been sitting there decomposing for a few years now."
    More of a pack rat then anything. Given the number of same type items im almost thinkin the guy/gal is storing inventory from a sho of some type. Maybe due to moving or folding?

Go faster
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    More of a pack rat then anything. Given the number of same type items im almost thinkin the guy/gal is storing inventory from a sho of some type. Maybe due to moving or folding?
    Actually there is a bike in sight...

If you look at the picture of the garage there is an old bmx bike in there

34N 118W
    send your letters of concern to her son, who obviously has a sense of humor enough to take pictures, write funny text, and post it on the internet.

yeah, it's our fault.

Quote Originally Posted by scylla

Rolling
    Sadly, I grew up in a house just like that. The difference was our stuff was not as neat at the examples shown here. The piles were not so organized.

Definitely the despare of depression that causes that to happen

transitional form

A good support group:

This sort of compulsive collecting is sometimes a symptom of something like OCD, but sometimes it's more complex than that. Like others have mentioned, depression and anxiety are also common causes.

A group to help people battle CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome):

Clutterers Anonymous

My mother runs the local chapter. I showed her the link, she's sharing it with her email groups. One of her comments: "Wow, her clutter is pretty organized!" My mother is one of these packrats by nature, but since she looked for help she's learned to keep her house really clear and pleasant in spite of herself.