XTR cranks won't spin after being torqued- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

XTR cranks won't spin after being torqued

Ok, so i bought a set of used xtr cranks off ebay and also a brand new bottom bracket. Upon their arrival i go in install them and after i torque it down to 45-55nm the crank arms don't spin anymore.

So i think i did something wrong and youtube a few videos and i don't see them doing anything different from what i am doing. Then i start thinking it is because i bought a used crankset, but it looks fine as far as i can tell, but i'm no expert.

Basically i'm stumped and i need some guidance or some advice. Anyone had this issue before? I am pretty new to working on bikes, but i am pretty handy with tools.

The joy of ski is Yours
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder508 View Post
    Ok, so i bought a set of used xtr cranks off ebay and also a brand new bottom bracket. Upon their arrival i go in install them and after i torque it down to 45-55nm the crank arms don't spin anymore.

So i think i did something wrong and youtube a few videos and i don't see them doing anything different from what i am doing. Then i start thinking it is because i bought a used crankset, but it looks fine as far as i can tell, but i'm no expert.

Basically i'm stumped and i need some guidance or some advice. Anyone had this issue before? I am pretty new to working on bikes, but i am pretty handy with tools.
    Simple-terms - you have to lessen the space it is that the BB is cinching ontop of. It may be too-many 2.5mm Washers, it may be as much as you have the frame-paint rolled over the facing of your BB.

Be sure you don't have a 68mm BB set up for your 73mm. The amount of washers in that common setup is unique to each. Otherwise, get your BB Shell as close to the needed measurement (68/73mm. Sure that XTR is not 83mm ready) and use the spec'd washers. Likely 2 on the R, & 1 on the L.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Simple-terms - you have to lessen the space it is that the BB is cinching ontop of. It may be too-many 2.5mm Washers, it may be as much as you have the frame-paint rolled over the facing of your BB.

Be sure you don't have a 68mm BB set up for your 73mm. The amount of washers in that common setup is unique to each. Otherwise, get your BB Shell as close to the needed measurement (68/73mm. Sure that XTR is not 83mm ready) and use the spec'd washers. Likely 2 on the R, & 1 on the L.
    How would I know I have the wrong BB? I have a 2012 intense Tracer 2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Which part did you torque to 45-55nm?
    Hopefully not the cap or crank arm.

I think you need to refer to the installation instructions.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830726445.PDF
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ups and downs
    Let's also be specific about which model of XTR cranks. The 970 9 speed series or 980 10 speed series? And by won't spin, do you mean freely or at all?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

The joy of ski is Yours
    How would I know I have the wrong BB? I have a 2012 intense Tracer 2
    That'd have to be a 73mm BB, Shiggy's link & post should have you onto the right setup.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Let's also be specific about which model of XTR cranks. The 970 9 speed series or 980 10 speed series? And by won't spin, do you mean freely or at all?
    The model does not matter as long as it is an external bearing BB. If it is an older crank/BB then it could be a clearance issue.
    mtbtires.com

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The model does not matter as long as it is an external bearing BB. If it is an older crank/BB then it could be a clearance issue.
    The preload mechanism changed from the 96x series to the 97x/98x so that knowing the model might help us to go through a checklist to better understand whether the spacer setup is incorrect, or else if it's misuse of the preload, or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    The preload mechanism changed from the 96x series to the 97x/98x so that knowing the model might help us to go through a checklist to better understand whether the spacer setup is incorrect, or else if it's misuse of the preload, or other.
    Actually the 970 is the one that is different (why the frick did they think that was a good idea?). The 960 and 98X are the same, and the only type I have worked on (still a less than perfect design).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Actually the 970 is the one that is different (why the frick did they think that was a good idea?). The 960 and 98X are the same, and the only type I have worked on (still a less than perfect design).
    The preload mech on the 970s is brilliant. It is my favorite of any cranks I have ever owned. That being said, it could be causing the problem if it was not backed out before install.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I have the m970 9speed. And after being torqued it won't spin at all

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which part did you torque to 45-55nm?
    Hopefully not the cap or crank arm.

I think you need to refer to the installation instructions.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830726445.PDF
    My cranks are different than those ones in that installation instructions

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The way I have the BB set up is with 2spacers on the drive side and 1 spacer on the non drive side because that's how it was set up on my previous crankset. I'm thinking maybe take a spacer off?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, so I followed the spacer instruction on that link for 73mm spacing and it now spins a lot smoother, but I have very little clearance between the non drive crank arm and my frame. I would say about a quarter inch or less. Is that normal?

The joy of ski is Yours
    Ok, so I followed the spacer instruction on that link for 73mm spacing and it now spins a lot smoother, but I have very little clearance between the non drive crank arm and my frame. I would say about a quarter inch or less. Is that normal?
    How were the cranks you replaced?? You can alter your chainline via juggling the BB Washers, it may prove too much for this first-go at dialing in a crankset.

.25-inch clearance @ the chainstay seems fine, should you have a much larger space on the other you can go ahead and alter your ChainLine, but you'd want to be sure you are able to source chainring w/ dimensions which compensate for the new offset.

There is a manner to fit these and/or XT cranksets to 83mm BB Shells - it involves removing the 64mm CR-Tabs, and careful removal of material to have the spindle settle in the middle of the Bottom Bracket. Doing this totally removes any one makers intended chainline. But knowing where to draw this measurement from - it keeps drivetrain chatter near or at a nil-amount.

That's an extreme example of how modular cranksets can be, your situation however is a simple exercise in having your chain be kept at it's proven path, the Chain Line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    How were the cranks you replaced?? You can alter your chainline via juggling the BB Washers, it may prove too much for this first-go at dialing in a crankset.

.25-inch clearance @ the chainstay seems fine, should you have a much larger space on the other you can go ahead and alter your ChainLine, but you'd want to be sure you are able to source chainring w/ dimensions which compensate for the new offset.
    What are you referring to when you ask how the cranks were that i replaced?

XTR cranks won't spin after being torqued-2013-04-28-09.42.42.jpg
    Also is this normal? i can slight bend the crank arm with my hands and it gets pretty close to the frame. I am assuming if i can bend it that much with my hands then my legs should be able to bend it further?

The joy of ski is Yours
    What are you referring to when you ask how the cranks were that i replaced?
    Also is this normal?
    If you think that you've went and malaligned your crankset, your q-factor, your BB tension, and can also be spinning this crankset and bend the arms into themselves enough to smack your chainstays -- take your bike to a mechanic you can speak w/ in person or this will be an exercise in nothing, outside of failure.

No. Just No.
    Also is this normal? i can slight bend the crank arm with my hands and it gets pretty close to the frame. I am assuming if i can bend it that much with my hands then my legs should be able to bend it further?
    I doubt you can bend the crank arm with your hands in any measurable way (that would qualify you as the Hulk) but you can probably twist the entire BB junction using the leverage of the crank arm, by an amount that will vary from frame to frame.

That's assuming you have the crank arm assembly installed properly, of course. If not then all bets are off with regard to what is or isn't flexing or twisting.

No. Just No.
    Ha, funny. I have 96x and 97x sitting here within reach, and falsely assumed that 98x
    carried forward the 97x setup. Never occurred to me they would revert backwards. Silly Shimano, not for changing back but for the false start on the 97x style. While it may be highly functional, I very much appreciated the ability to do a full crank removal in the field, since the preload adjuster could be done by hand in a pinch, which left only the pinch bolts at a torque value that was easily handled with a multi tool.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    ....I very much appreciated the ability to do a full crank removal in the field....
    Why? Just asking
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son View Post
    Why? Just asking
    If you've ever badly mangled a chainring, or had someone in your group do it (to the point where it's actually fouling the rotation of the crank), in sub-alpine terrain a solid half day's ride from a toolbox, you'd very much appreciate the ability to easily remove the crank with only a 5mm hex. Trust me on this.