XS Woman, needs some advice picking out XS bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

XS Woman, needs some advice picking out XS bike

So I've never posted on here....or any forum for that matter, so here it go's...
    I previously was on a Yeti 575 xs frame, until it was snatch from my camp in Canada. I know sob story, right. Well I've been counting my pennies and doing my research and it seems a lot has changed since my Yeti purchase in 2009. I'm also just now realizing that my extra small Yeti frame my in fact have been too big for me. I'm 5'2'" with a 28" stand over height(barefoot) and I'm looking for my next bike to have more travel & slack. I'm very much a trail rider with my roots in Colorado/Utah but have been spending my summers tackling the awesome BC all-moutain terrain and advancing quickly. The 575 was great but maybe it was time for something with a bit more umph after all. I'm having trouble finding many options that offer a small enough frame but can also handle more aggressive riding. I'm also not down with carbon frames which should also help keep my pocketbook happy. Any suggestions out there?
    Last edited by RockstompingRoxy; 10-18-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add more info

mtbr member
    Look into Giant's Liv brand and Santa Cruz's Juliana brand. Both billed as women specific brands. My 5'2" wife loves her Liv Lust 2 though it might not have enough travel for you.

When a bike fits and feels right then obviously it doesn't matter if it's gender targeted for you. But shorter women might find that women's bikes work better for them due to geometry and suspension tuning.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey, I appreciate it! Oh how I wish I could afford a Juliana with all that fandangled carbon However LiV Intrigue is on the list for sure tho! Thanks again!

Maaaaan
    @Roxy
    You should be asking this in the Women's Lounge, there are lots of shorties there.
    For the record, Titus was the only company that actually made a proper bike for little gals.
    Unfortunately Titus went under a few years ago.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Will do. Thanks!

Bikes in jeans
    Not sure what your budget is but I've seen some juliana's hit ebay for a decent savings off retail. Still an expensive bike, but a fraction of what they run new. Might be able to find a used frame a build it up over time as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    That's also a great option to keep my eyes out for. Thanks!

Duck Fonald
    There's a post that is currently directly under yours that may help: http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...tb-992146.html
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Cool. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

since 4/10/2009
    My 5'4" wife has had good results with regular 'ol Santa Cruz in size small. She got a used one for an absolutely brilliant price. It's a FAR better bike than she'd have otherwise been able to afford.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Used is totally an option out there, just thinking if I'm gonna buy a new bike I should get a NEW bike this round. But you never know. I wish Santa Cruz did fit me, they are sweet bikes indeed! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Moderator Moderator
    My 5' 3", short legged wife went from a Santa Cruz TallboyC small (not quite enough stand over) to a Niner Jet RDO in XS which is about as small as you can get. Nice bike and the regular Jet is a good value. We also looked at the Livs, nice bikes as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstompingRoxy View Post
    Used is totally an option out there, just thinking if I'm gonna buy a new bike I should get a NEW bike this round. But you never know. I wish Santa Cruz did fit me, they are sweet bikes indeed! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
    If you live in an area where mountain biking is popular then with patience used bikes can really be a very good deal. Of course there are fewer XS bikes for sale new or used than for example L.

But this is also the time of year when the new model years appear in stores. The old models go on sale and often you can even get the discount on non-floor models. On top of that stores also renew their demo fleets. Wether demo bikes are a good deal depends on the quality of the store since demos tend to be more expensive than equivalent used -- but the store can warrantee demo bikes as they see fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'll look into Niner options for my riding style as well. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Seems that patience and location is often my problelm. I'm currently in Mexico, day dreaming of single track. Perhaps, I can time my move back north around some demos and keep my fingers crossed on xs options. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would try and determine what reach dimension you need. I'm guessing something under or around 395mm.
    Trek has a new geo Fuel Ex at 395 in 29 and 375 in 27.5 for a 15.5" frame with Boost 148 rear hub sizing.
    That with the RE:aktiv shock and a 120mm Pike or Fox 34 fork(can go to 130) would give you the capability to run harder on faster trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pivot has /had some xs stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Good idea! I'll figure that out as well. I will also give another look at the Trek Fuel ex. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks! Right now the Pivot Mach 6 is on the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstompingRoxy View Post
    Good idea! I'll figure that out as well. I will also give another look at the Trek Fuel ex. Thanks!
    Second vote for the Trek Fuel WSD but...like with any other option...ride it first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My wife is 5' 2" and loves her Liv Intrigue XS, take a serious look at that. Don't get an XS 29er, they just never ride right.

Don't worry, be happy!
    tons of threads in the women's lounge