Wrecked my teeth!!!!- Mtbr.com
    Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004

Wrecked my teeth!!!!

First post on here guys. I came on looking for some info regarding full face or quasi full-face helmets.

I haven't been lurking long, so I am not sure whether or not this is an anti-XC forum or not, but here goes.

I enjoy going up more than downhill. I am in it for the exercise and sense of accomplishment, and I am 32. I just did a huge endo coming down the waterbars at Cowles Mountain here in San Diego, which is a pretty mild ride for me. We ride Noble, Anderson, Daley etc... and I had on a Bell X-Ray helmet.

Short version is, I ate a rock and broke my front tooth off. I trashed my face and have had to attend meetings (I am a business owner) all week looking like Cletus the slack jawed yokel. I am over it, and want some face protection.

I have seen partial reviews of the helmets. None seem to address my main concern, which is heat. Money is not an object. No helmet is going to do me any good sitting in my gear bag or on my backpack, and I ate it doing something pretty mundane, so I need it on all the time.

So here is my question... I am looking for a very well ventilated helmet that will allow me to climb with impunity wearing the helmet, and ride technical with more confidence. I have not seen a single full face in any of my LBS, so I need advice from you all regarding what works and what doesn't. I have looked online at the Giro Mad Max II, the Vigor Vamoose II, the 661 Full Bravo Carbon, the Troy Lee Design Daytona 2 Carbon, The Pryme AL, The Bell Bellistic, and the Met Parachute. Of them, the Met is most like what I was looking for I think, but also has the least availablilty as it isn't sold in America. The Bell "Switchblade" is not made anymore, but looked like it might be the ticket too.

Please help a newbie out. If any of you are from San Diego, we ride every Tuesday night and usually once on the weekends (will be resuming again once my nearly broken arm heals) and would welcome any new blood. No pun intended.

Thanks ahead of time. I have never seen an XC rider wearing one, but it wouldn't be the first time I was the only dork being oversafe. My $3200 dental bill tells me I am not being oversafe though

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am a primary XC rider. I previously had a short stint in freeride downhill before I finally admitted to myself that I'm a hill-climbing sissy. Anyway, the point is that I used to have 661 Full Bravo helmet and it was horribly hot. I used to sweat no end in it and couldn't imagine doing XC in it. The only time there was ventilation was when you were going very fast on a downhill course. Personally, I would strike the 611 Full Bravo off your list. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the other ones.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I am looking for.

I have probably jumped the gun here, but after a couple of hours on line, I purchased the Met Parachute from www.chainreactioncycles.com which is a UK company. The price is right and I got an offer I couldn't refuse from my LBS to take in in on trade if I didn't end up liking it because it looks cool enough to sell easily for them.

So, I pulled the trigger. I may still get a more serious helmet for Noble downhills etc... so keep the input coming. I will let all of you know how the Met works for me... let me know how the others have worked for you.

Thanks again,

Wes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Can't help with the helmet input - never used a full-face, except when riding motorcycles.

However, I'm here in San Diego and usually try to do a Tuesday night ride - as well as getting out on the weekends. I see your email is disabled - so drop me an email sometime - always fun to ride with new people. I live up in North County.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    Can't help with the helmet input - never used a full-face, except when riding motorcycles.

However, I'm here in San Diego and usually try to do a Tuesday night ride - as well as getting out on the weekends. I see your email is disabled - so drop me an email sometime - always fun to ride with new people. I live up in North County.
    Sorry, new to the forum. E-mail is [email protected]

bonkin' clyde

hey man

Hey man one of the best things you could do is utilize the amazing searching and product review sections of this site. Go to the search option and type in full face helmets and see what comes up. This will give you access to lots of previous threads on this very subject. When you find a helmet, ie: the Giro Switchblade, go to the review section, and see what people have to say about them. Thats how I found the best helmet I've ever worn, the Bell X-Ray...
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluronthetrails
    Hey man one of the best things you could do is utilize the amazing searching and product review sections of this site. Go to the search option and type in full face helmets and see what comes up. This will give you access to lots of previous threads on this very subject. When you find a helmet, ie: the Giro Switchblade, go to the review section, and see what people have to say about them. Thats how I found the best helmet I've ever worn, the Bell X-Ray...
    Thanks. I did that though. I own (and just wrecked) in an X-Ray, which I would agree is the best helmet I have ever owned. I read all of the responses (three pages worth) and nobody specifically mentioned riding XC in a full face, and the Giro Switchblade is no longer available. MTBreview doesn't have a review of any of the helmets I mentioned from an XC standpoint, and I felt compelled to put up a post to ask specifically what worked for whom.

If you were to read the posts, you would agree that the TLD was the greatest thing since the thong bikini. I just got an e-mail from someone though that says in no uncertain terms that he absolutely would not wear his TLD in any form of XC capacity.

I am looking for some jaw coverage, not downhill coverage. If I decide to get more extreme on downhilling, I am positive I will end up with a carbon TLD or 661 of some sort.

Unfortunately, I am an XC pansy so I need to have something I will actually wear all the time. Like I said, I wrecked bad doing something really mundane for me. You can't choose when you are going to go down, so I need a helmet I can wear all the time.

Thanks for the input though guys, keep it coming!!!
    Guess what? I gotta fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!

mtbr member
    I'm new here also. Sorry to hear about your accident.

This may not be of any use, but perhaps you may consider one of those high performance mouth guards that martial artists use. They are one pc for upper and lower jaw and are intended to keep a fighter from breaking the jaw. I think they cost $25.00 or so , if you are interested, here is a link for one of them http://karatedepot.com/pr-mo-06.html
    Volunteer Firefighter/EMT SAR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Giro Switchblade

Quote Originally Posted by Froggystyle
    First post on here guys. I came on looking for some info regarding full face or quasi full-face helmets.

I haven't been lurking long, so I am not sure whether or not this is an anti-XC forum or not, but here goes.

I enjoy going up more than downhill. I am in it for the exercise and sense of accomplishment, and I am 32. I just did a huge endo coming down the waterbars at Cowles Mountain here in San Diego, which is a pretty mild ride for me. We ride Noble, Anderson, Daley etc... and I had on a Bell X-Ray helmet.

Short version is, I ate a rock and broke my front tooth off. I trashed my face and have had to attend meetings (I am a business owner) all week looking like Cletus the slack jawed yokel. I am over it, and want some face protection.

I have seen partial reviews of the helmets. None seem to address my main concern, which is heat. Money is not an object. No helmet is going to do me any good sitting in my gear bag or on my backpack, and I ate it doing something pretty mundane, so I need it on all the time.

So here is my question... I am looking for a very well ventilated helmet that will allow me to climb with impunity wearing the helmet, and ride technical with more confidence. I have not seen a single full face in any of my LBS, so I need advice from you all regarding what works and what doesn't. I have looked online at the Giro Mad Max II, the Vigor Vamoose II, the 661 Full Bravo Carbon, the Troy Lee Design Daytona 2 Carbon, The Pryme AL, The Bell Bellistic, and the Met Parachute. Of them, the Met is most like what I was looking for I think, but also has the least availablilty as it isn't sold in America. The Bell "Switchblade" is not made anymore, but looked like it might be the ticket too.

Please help a newbie out. If any of you are from San Diego, we ride every Tuesday night and usually once on the weekends (will be resuming again once my nearly broken arm heals) and would welcome any new blood. No pun intended.

Thanks ahead of time. I have never seen an XC rider wearing one, but it wouldn't be the first time I was the only dork being oversafe. My $3200 dental bill tells me I am not being oversafe though
    I'm not sure if they're still in production, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/old...ct_21993.shtml

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=108

Feb 2004
    i have a switchblade helmet i use it for night rides, i myself have never face planted but i have been with a couple people who have ouch.It keeps the branches out,and it seems to make the light more stable on your crani.

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like you're the perfect candidate for a Giro Switchblade my friend.

Light, cool, and not over-built for xc rides.

A guy on one of the rides I attend always wears one, and he seems to be no hotter at the end of the ride than we are.

-Matt
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

Aug 2004

giro switchblade

I bought my switchblade on Ebay for $ 100.00 brand new. They're hard to come across, but can be found.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

switchblade

Quote Originally Posted by sterd
    I bought my switchblade on Ebay for $ 100.00 brand new. They're hard to come across, but can be found.
    I have come across quite a few switchblades on the internet as of late. There is a few for sale on pinkbike.com in the buysell section of the site. I have heard Giro has stopped making them. I saw one for sale at a shop in Calgary. (Calgary Cycle Calgary, Alberta (403) 277-3430). People are always looking for them so it does not make sense to stop production. The Giro madmax will be better than a traditional full face for xc applications also.
    Last edited by ronny; 08-27-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Aug 2004

Giro Switchblades on Ebay

There are three switchblades on Ebay right now.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for all of the feedback folks. I appreciate it. I don't feel particularly comfortable buying a helmet off of e-bay, so I wanted a new one with factory support.

FYI, I left a pretty lengthy feedback with both Bell and Giro with regard to this situation, and the need for a good, not neccessarily convertible lightweight full face to bridge the gap.

I went so far as to consider building my own face guard out of carbon fiber, as I am a boat builder by trade, and feel comfortable building the part. I don't want to ruin my X-ray though, and I am not sure how they attach the grille guard to the helmet in any case without screwing up the integrity of the helmet.

One thing I don't understand is people talking about durability of these different helmets. The one universal truth with ANY helmet across the board is that if you go down, you need to replace it. I cant think of a single helmet, in any endeavor that is designed to take mulitple hits. They are meant to protect you for one crash. It is your job to keep the thing in good enough condition to make it to that crash. I had an AGV helmet for a race bike (Ducati Motorcycle) that would be useless with even a slight ding to the exterior.

Anyway, I am going to try this Met Parachute, and if it works, I will let you all know. The price is right too, as it will be delivered for a little under $150 in 5-6 days from Britain.

I am probably going to get a burlier helmet for winter use. Likelihood of going down is greater, weather is cooler. I will look into the TLD and the Giro MadMax.

Thanks again for all of the help. I like this forum a lot, and plan on checking in regularly.

mtbr member
    Glad you went for the MET, they make great helmets.

Boj

Jan 2004
    Hey man,

I don't really have any advice on the helmet front but man I know what its like to lose teeth.

I landed awkwardly on my jaw riding back home from college in an accident similar to how you fall over when just starting with clipless pedals. I broke 4 teeth and 2 had to be taken out

Anyway I kept riding after the accident a little so that I wouldn't get into this state of fear on the bike in my mind when I did go back to riding full time. It was difficult but I convinced myself that it really was just a freak occurence and not likely to happen regularly and that if I was fearful after this I would only contribute to crashing more. It really worked as I gained confidence on the bike and have had practically no stacks since then (~1 ear ago) with many races while still hammering as before.

I have an implant for one of the lost teeth (one that you could see missing) in my jaw now and hopefully I'll get the other one soon but I do plan on asking my dentist about getting a mouth guard next time I see him though I'm not really sure how much I need it.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been wearing a Switchblade for 2 years now.
    Good helmet and you don't get any hotter than a plain helmet.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

what a joke
    I rode with a guy last weekend (El Beastro) who was wearing a Pro-Tec Carbon Full Face . If I was riding those trails every week I would seriously consider one as I am ugly enough as it is. http://www.pro-tec.net/bike.html
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wonder how the Met Parachute fits compared to other brands ? I like the fit of my Giro E2 - felt better than a few Bell's I tried. LBS guys said I had a Giro fit head. I did an internet search and found a shop selling Switchblades but the price is $219 ! that must be more than their original msrp.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Way more. They are profit taking because of the non-availablility. I hate that, though I support it...

I went with the Met for a couple of reasons, namely, they are still making it and see a need for the product. That I like. If Giro has given up on it, F them. They just lost a client. So did Bell (Who owns Giro BTW...)

From what I hear and have read, the Met is a great helmet, so we will see. They don't want to sell in North America because our legal system allows a helmet manufacturer to get sued even if the helmet is perfectly safe. I can understand. I wouldn't want to either. Their site claims that they are putting money into development instead of legal defense.

Good for them.

Aug 2004

Full-face helmet

I'm modifying a regular full-face helmet to try to make it wearable during regular XC riding. I'll put it on the web soon, and post a link here so people can see it and do their own if they want to.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Looks like a good well-ventilated choice. You could also go with a stylish football helmet.

http://www.footballamerica.com/shope...rotecthead.gif

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Looks like a good well-ventilated choice. You could also go with a stylish football helmet.

https://www.footballamerica.com/shop...rotecthead.gif
    Yeah, thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of the football helmet...

Here is what I got. At the very least, it will intimidate other riders I guess...

I think it is going to work out great though, and chainreactioncycles is awesome. They already sent me a shipping confirmation.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Yeah, thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of the football helmet...
    I was being a bit silly of course, those football helmets look hot (temperature wise)! Hopefully you can let us know how the transaction with Chain Reaction goes. I've been hesitant to do transactions from the UK but they have some great prices on some things and have many things not readily available here.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Quick update for everyone. I got the MET this week, and love it. I rode last night on North Fortuna here in San Diego and never really warmed up any more than with a regular helmet. In addition, I got my new interim tooth yesterday (hot tip... don't go riding after a root canal!) and it is nice to have a full grille again. Plus, to make the day even better, my new bike showed up, a Yeti ASR-SL so I am on cloud nine.

Just thought I would share the info on the MET with everyone. I am buying another for my wife to keep her grille intact, and everyone I ride with now wants one, so I am going to do a bulk order. I can't say enough about chainreactioncycles.com in England. Like I said before, you need to import this helmet as they don't distribute in America, but for a quasi full face helmet that is going to be used for XC, I don't think you can beat it right now. I will buy again with confidence from Chain Reaction too.

Have a great week y'all.

Wes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quick update for everyone. I got the MET this week, and love it. I rode last night on North Fortuna here in San Diego and never really warmed up any more than with a regular helmet. In addition, I got my new interim tooth yesterday (hot tip... don't go riding after a root canal!) and it is nice to have a full grille again. Plus, to make the day even better, my new bike showed up, a Yeti ASR-SL so I am on cloud nine.

Just thought I would share the info on the MET with everyone. I am buying another for my wife to keep her grille intact, and everyone I ride with now wants one, so I am going to do a bulk order. I can't say enough about chainreactioncycles.com in England. Like I said before, you need to import this helmet as they don't distribute in America, but for a quasi full face helmet that is going to be used for XC, I don't think you can beat it right now. I will buy again with confidence from Chain Reaction too.

Have a great week y'all.

Wes

What was the shipping cost to the US ? total price ? Was the fit as sized? Thanx

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    What was the shipping cost to the US ? total price ? Was the fit as sized? Thanx
    Total price was around $150, or 91 pounds sterling. 15 of that (pounds sterling) was shipping. So, in American Dollars it was $26 for shipping, and $92 for the helmet.

Small price to pay to keep my new teeth... Like I said, I went down hard doing something pretty mundane. I wouldn't have worn a full face helmet on this ride if I did have one, so I needed a helmet that I could comfortably wear all the time. This is it. This is my new 100% of the time helmet.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

The fit was perfect. Good adjustment system in the rear similar to a Roc-loc on a Giro. Not quite as advanced as the system on my Bell X-ray, but not bad either. The thing about it is, if you do take a full frontal hit, I suspect you will get a quick choke on the chin strap. Better than a face full of rock by a long shot. The chin strap is what would keep it from going backwards though. FYI. The suspension is basically identical to a regular XC helmet. In fact, it is a regular helmet, but with a face guard attached. I like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good price.

Total price was around $150, or 91 pounds sterling. 15 of that (pounds sterling) was shipping. So, in American Dollars it was $26 for shipping, and $92 for the helmet.

Small price to pay to keep my new teeth... Like I said, I went down hard doing something pretty mundane. I wouldn't have worn a full face helmet on this ride if I did have one, so I needed a helmet that I could comfortably wear all the time. This is it. This is my new 100% of the time helmet.

The fit was perfect. Good adjustment system in the rear similar to a Roc-loc on a Giro. Not quite as advanced as the system on my Bell X-ray, but not bad either. The thing about it is, if you do take a full frontal hit, I suspect you will get a quick choke on the chin strap. Better than a face full of rock by a long shot. The chin strap is what would keep it from going backwards though. FYI. The suspension is basically identical to a regular XC helmet. In fact, it is a regular helmet, but with a face guard attached. I like it.
    That sounds like a reasonable price. The helmet looks pretty nice. I just lucked out big time. I was at a pawn shop and I picked up a Giro switchblade for 30 bucks and it is in excellent condition. I am giving it to my girlfriend. I just shook my head when I saw the price because I just bought one for 120.00 used one week prior. The retail price is 350.00 Cdn. Like you stated before some of my worst falls have been on unremarkable terrain that is navigated without problem 99% of the time.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Froggystyle]Total price was around $150, or 91 pounds sterling. 15 of that (pounds sterling) was shipping. So, in American Dollars it was $26 for shipping, and $92 for the helmet.

I just went to their website and the listed US dollar price is $141.37 ( 76.59 pounds) ? Shipping was $ 27.69. Why the difference? Thanx

Jan 2004

Not to rain on your parade

But how do the english rate their helmets? I'm sure they test them, but under what circumstances? My understanding of helmet ratings is poor, but you know how we get cheap sh*t from taiwan? Maybe you should peep the rating on your helmet and find out what it means. I too pay $$$$ for dental work and have no problem spending one or two $ for a helmet. I am ugly and don't want to get uglier! I have ridden uphill in SD and god it's humid but teeth are good to have!
    I

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=keen]

I just went to their website and the listed US dollar price is $141.37 ( 76.59 pounds) ? Shipping was $ 27.69. Why the difference? Thanx
    I messed up. The calculator I used defaulted to a Euro after the first inquiry. Actual price paid was $135 for the helmet, 26 something for shipping. $162 total. Exchange rate is moving around a little too.

Also, they made a small mistake on their website and were removing tax for out of country sales on helmets, but the helmets already had the tax removed. They wrote to me to tell me that it was their mistake and they honored it, but they have fixed it so the helmet cost is a little higher now because they didn't remove the VAT tax.

In any case, the actual price of the helmet, no tax removed in sterling is #90 or $160 USD. Shipping is still #15 or $26 USD.

In any case, actual price, delivered in 5-6 days is about $186. I will be ordering four more I like them so much.

Sorry for the confusion, my bad.

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdemon
    But how do the english rate their helmets? I'm sure they test them, but under what circumstances? My understanding of helmet ratings is poor, but you know how we get cheap sh*t from taiwan? Maybe you should peep the rating on your helmet and find out what it means. I too pay $$$$ for dental work and have no problem spending one or two $ for a helmet. I am ugly and don't want to get uglier! I have ridden uphill in SD and god it's humid but teeth are good to have!
    I
    This is an Italian made helmet, and I feel it is a well made piece of gear.

Logic dictates that this will protect me more in an accident than no face guard. Met is a top name internationally in helmets, and I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, it has to be stronger and better desinged that what I was going to make to bolt on to my X-ray. It is the only helmet on the market that I have found that fits the criteria that I was looking for, which is to say wears cool, can be worn for XC riding and protects my chicklets. I own it now, and like it a lot. So much so I am getting another at a higher price I might add for my wife, and three freinds who like it and want one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is an Italian made helmet, and I feel it is a well made piece of gear.

Logic dictates that this will protect me more in an accident than no face guard. Met is a top name internationally in helmets, and I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, it has to be stronger and better desinged that what I was going to make to bolt on to my X-ray. It is the only helmet on the market that I have found that fits the criteria that I was looking for, which is to say wears cool, can be worn for XC riding and protects my chicklets. I own it now, and like it a lot. So much so I am getting another at a higher price I might add for my wife, and three freinds who like it and want one.
    Which shipping service did you use? Thanx

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004

Listen!

I think it was called Royal Air... something like that.

Sep 2004
    hey, i have a Azonic AZX helmet that i use for freestyle jet skiing (it is made for mountina biking) its light and comfortable and you can get last years model for less that 80 bucks shipped (reg 150)