Would it be too crazy to hit Moab in late July?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. Would it be too crazy to hit Moab in late July?

Would it be too crazy to hit Moab in late July? Some friends and I are planning on going to Durango in this time and want to take a coulpe of days to ride Moab but Im not sure how wise this is.

Ride Instigator

I'd do it....

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Would it be too crazy to hit Moab in late July? Some friends and I are planning on going to Durango in this time and want to take a coulpe of days to ride Moab but Im not sure how wise this is.
    If that's when you're out there, go for it. Hydrate like crazy and do your rides in the early morning hours (crack of dawn??) to beat the heat. Don't forget the sunscreen.

Jan 2004
    ya, or late afternoon. I hear sundowns pretty late over there that time of year. The idea behind going in july is not riding around durango which i understand is above 6000' in too cold a weather. I dont know if theres a better time to balance both places out. If so I might try to convince my buddies

I am lost, I'm no guide
    I had a buddy that had to go east for a wedding in July and decided to swing by Moab for some riding. He said it was hot as hell but loved every minute of it. He carried a bunch of water bottles and a Camelback HAWG and drained it all.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Sure why not!

I rode there in August 2yrs ago with no problems. I rode in the morning. Around Noon and the early evening and sometimes all day! The guy thought I was nuts riding slick-rock trail at 1pm

Granted I am from Florida, so heat was not an issue. Just dring a lot of fluids, use some sunscreen, and wear a long sleeve Dri-Fit/Cool Max t-shirt to keep you cool and avoid too much sun exposure.

You will have a great time!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member

Ummmm, Durango in July is HOT too!

ya, durango which i understand is above 6000' in too cold a weather. I dont know if theres a better time to balance both places out. If so I might try to convince my buddies
    Uh, while Durango is in a region that get's cold in the winter, July can be hot as hell, and has the added bonus of Monsoonal storms lurking in the afternoons to whoop yer butt, but also help cool things off. Not sure what you consider "cold", but by memorial day, Durango is quite warm and most of the trails rideable.Only the highest parts of trails will have remnanats of snow on 'em by July, and they'll be facing north or in shadow. I'd say July is a fine time to ride Durango, though I prefer early fall and late spring. Moab in July is an inferno during the day. Do not ride out on exposed trails in the afternoon. Seriously. Get up VERY early and head out so that you are hitting the trailhead just after dawn. I've had some incredible rides at sunrise, that can be 3-4 hours long and get you back long before lunch (and the broiling heat!) Then go swimming or chill out until it cools off again.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Jan 2004

Moab in July

I live in southern Arizona, which is not materially different from Moab, and we ride straight through the summer. We carry AT LEAST 3 quarts of water and start our rides as soon as it is light (between 5 and 5:30am since Arizona doesn't go on Daylight Savings Time ), and it doesn't seem to be an issue. In fact, I agree with glenzx, it can be a beautiful time (and temperature) to ride.

John W.

mtbr member
    Where are you coming from? I rode there over Labor day in Sept. a couple years ago, and it was a bit hot for my taste (and I'm from Phx). We made the mistake of trying to to ProcRim in like mid-day. I ran out of water at the bottom. Thankfully, it was our last day riding.

However, if you're not affected by heat, it's not too crazy. Just be forewarned that it will be hot.