Anytime. Anywhere.

Workpacking Is In, Commuting Is Out

Cross post from "Commuting" Forum. Admins, please change Commuting to Workpacking.

I haven't commuted by bike much since I retired, but on the occasions that I ride to my PT LBS job, I will be workpacking, not commuting. I saw this super trendy term over on Singletrack Magazine's forum and loved it. Look how trendy bike packing is.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Thanks for pointing this out. I'll assiduously avoid using the term. I hate "trendy".

mtbr member
    Ha ha it's a good job I sold my "GRoad" bike in anticipation of this happening!

the discerning hooligan
    I think the new term may be helpful in the politically charged times we are living in, A large number of less astute Americans, getting all information by partially reading tweets on a 4" screen while driving to work, will no doubt confuse "commuting" with "communism". I'm sure many of them will jump to the conclusion that anyone who willingly rides their bike to work must certainly be a communist anyway, but identifying as a "workpacker" might be a small step in the right direction.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Last year I rigged up my fatbike with my overnight/endurance race setup with sleeping bag/roll, etc., and I used it to commute to work to get used to the weight/steering. I guess I was workpacking.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

psycho cyclo addict
    LMFAO.

I replied in the original thread.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Cross post from "Commuting" Forum. Admins, please change Commuting to Workpacking.

I haven't commuted by bike much since I retired, but on the occasions that I ride to my PT LBS job, I will be workpacking, not commuting. I saw this super trendy term over on Singletrack Magazine's forum and loved it. Look how trendy bike packing is.
    I'll one up you. Since we're becoming a "gig" economy, let's call it GiGpacking.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I think the new term may be helpful in the politically charged times we are living in, A large number of less astute Americans, getting all information by partially reading tweets on a 4" screen while driving to work, will no doubt confuse "commuting" with "communism". I'm sure many of them will jump to the conclusion that anyone who willingly rides their bike to work must certainly be a communist anyway, but identifying as a "workpacker" might be a small step in the right direction.
    Thanks! I laughed my ass off when I read this one.

Unfortunately I can't give you pos-rep yet.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986