Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag

    Anyone have either or both of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-79e706f2-82a1-4a09-af95-d78160c5f8f6.jpeg

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-34662520-0145-4a8b-92ab-4ecc27db45b7.jpeg

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-34773f0a-0f30-41ac-895a-0dc120aaa6b4.jpeg

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-bf8c75b9-954d-497f-b814-8ffd1e7e53ff.jpeg

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-bae61154-ed26-4c6b-92e3-10caec65304f.jpeg

  2. #2
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,172
    Now THAT is an awesome strap!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Now THAT is an awesome strap!
    Didn't see that one coming!

  4. #4
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Hahaha! I canít figure out which of the three sizes of the Awesome Strap to get, or whether I should forego its awesomeness entirely and opt for the roll bag instead.

    Paging #TraxFactory...

  5. #5
    Hardtail Steel Forever
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,793
    Well that derailed at a predictable speed, immediately.

    Looks nice, but pretty damn expensive though. You're at $70 with both the pouch and the strap.

    I tend to use a camelback so have storage for tools but those water bottle tool holders are like $15 which work really well for cheap if you have extra bottle cages.

    Personally, I couldn't imagine shelling out $35 let alone $70 for a tool pouch.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  6. #6
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Well that derailed at a predictable speed, immediately.

    Looks nice, but pretty damn expensive though. You're at $70 with both the pouch and the strap.

    I tend to use a camelback so have storage for tools but those water bottle tool holders are like $15 which work really well for cheap if you have extra bottle cages.

    Personally, I couldn't imagine shelling out $35 let alone $70 for a tool pouch.
    Long time CamelBak user. Currently enjoying the Skyline LR.

    I go for lots of shorter, after work rides. While risky, sometimes I LOVE the feeling of riding packless.

    I just bought a steel hardtail where weight shaving is not a concern. I thought that getting the Wolf Tooth set up (strap OR roll bag, but not both) might allow me to carry some trail essentials* without a pack, in case something goes sideways on me mid-ride.

    * tube, levers, multitool, mini-pump/CO2

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Long time CamelBak user. Currently enjoying the Skyline LR.

    I go for lots of shorter, after work rides. While risky, sometimes I LOVE the feeling of riding packless.

    I just bought a steel hardtail where weight shaving is not a concern. I thought that getting the Wolf Tooth set up (strap OR roll bag, but not both) might allow me to carry some trail essentials* without a pack, in case something goes sideways on me mid-ride.

    * tube, levers, multitool, mini-pump/CO2
    I totally get that. There are much cheaper alternatives, depending on where you are going to store it. If you're going to put it behind your seat, I'd just get a seat bag. If you're going to store things instead of carrying a waterbottle (since water may not be necessary on a shorter ride), you may want to go with this...

    https://www.amaincycling.com/elite-s...xoCHtAQAvD_BwE

  8. #8
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    I have gone down this rabbit hole a number of times now. There was a fairly recent thread on it that I probably should have revived.

    I am starting to become more comfortable with what appears to be the inevitable conclusion that there are no perfect (or even great) alternatives to a pack.

    I think I may just keep my bottle bosses free for a bottle cage (for a G2), and ride packless when I feel the urge to go packless, and am riding a shorter loop where walking out isnít a big deal if shit goes sideways on me mechanically.

    I wish there was a decent alternative to a pack, but there just doesnít seem to be.

  9. #9
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,309
    Tube, levers, strapped to saddle or bike, EDC tool and pump, water bottle cage AND bibs with pockets. My pack is covered with dust. My bibs can carry 2 bottles if needed, but typically a bottle and or jacket, phone, and snacks if needed. The more crap I store on my bike, the happier I am. I briefly had a fanny pack and bibs are 80% more comfortable.

    Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  10. #10
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Tube, levers, strapped to saddle or bike, EDC tool and pump, water bottle cage AND bibs with pockets. My pack is covered with dust. My bibs can carry 2 bottles if needed, but typically a bottle and or jacket, phone, and snacks if needed. The more crap I store on my bike, the happier I am. I briefly had a fanny pack and bibs are 80% more comfortable.

    Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Hmmm...ok. Thanks.

    Time to re-read your bibs storage thread.

    Not ecstatic about tapping my steerer tube but I do have some comfort reading the tips you posted on this.

    The thing about the bib shorts though is this - I usually drink a minimum of 500 ml and usually a litre before I even get on my bike, on the way to the trailhead. Hydration on short rides is not usually that much of a concern. I need to find a place on my bike for for my tube, levers, pump/CO2 and multi-tool, more than anything else. So on-body storage isn't all that crucial. In other words, the bibs with storage may not address what I am looking for all that much.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 01-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    52
    I've got the roll top bag set up, I strapped it under my seat. I use it to hold: pressure gauge, multitool, tire lever, tire patch, bacon strips, and my cell phone.

    works fine. I just needed something to hold all of that stuff for when I go packless.
    I don't have another product to compare it to so I don't have much insights on it.
    it's a bit of a pain to strap and unstrap the bag, so I usually just access the contents while it's strapped to the seat. I have not used the mounting plate as I don't have the necessary hardware to mount it.

    I had considered the revelate mag tank top. I might still get that one for my phone, since it's easier to access.

    keep us posted on your solution. I'm always keeping an eye out for packless riding.

    p.s. I have crank bros klick pump attached to the side of my fidlock water bottle.

  12. #12
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,172
    Yup...I use seat pouch and bottle cages even if I am wearing a pack. Short rides I just carry water a bottle and long rides it's water in the pack ( maybe some first aid and food too) and a sports drink in the bottle. I use an extra cinch strap to keep the seat pouch quiet and still. I'm sure the Wolf Tooth product is good, but is it $50 better than the cheaper option?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  13. #13
    searchin for Animal Chin
    Reputation: EugeneTheJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    834
    I have something similar made by Rogue Panda, a downtube bag that I have all my tools, a tube and a few co2. tire levers, allen wrenches, chain breaker, tire plugs, valve tool, rags, spare valves, patches, works great! Mine is a zipper type not the newer roll top they have, like this https://www.roguepanda.com/shop/oracle-downtube-bag/
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have gone down this rabbit hole a number of times now. There was a fairly recent thread on it that I probably should have revived.

    I am starting to become more comfortable with what appears to be the inevitable conclusion that there are no perfect (or even great) alternatives to a pack.

    I think I may just keep my bottle bosses free for a bottle cage (for a G2), and ride packless when I feel the urge to go packless, and am riding a shorter loop where walking out isnít a big deal if shit goes sideways on me mechanically.

    I wish there was a decent alternative to a pack, but there just doesnít seem to be.
    I'm confused. There are great alternatives to a pack, many of which were listed here. What are you looking for that the recommendations don't solve? Why do you consider these solutions bad? You can put it basically on any tube with the original item you showed, put it behind the saddle, or as a replacement for a bottle (since you aren't concerned with hydration). All of these solutions help you to go packless. What box is still unchecked?

  15. #15
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    I've got the roll top bag set up, I strapped it under my seat. I use it to hold: pressure gauge, multitool, tire lever, tire patch, bacon strips, and my cell phone.

    works fine. I just needed something to hold all of that stuff for when I go packless.
    I don't have another product to compare it to so I don't have much insights on it.
    it's a bit of a pain to strap and unstrap the bag, so I usually just access the contents while it's strapped to the seat. I have not used the mounting plate as I don't have the necessary hardware to mount it.

    I had considered the revelate mag tank top. I might still get that one for my phone, since it's easier to access.

    keep us posted on your solution. I'm always keeping an eye out for packless riding.

    p.s. I have crank bros klick pump attached to the side of my fidlock water bottle.
    Thanks for the response. If you don't mind me asking, how are the contents of the seat bag after some fast long descents? The last seat bag I had turned the contents into saw dust, no matter how tightly I cinched things up.

    Also, no issues with a dropper I assume? There is no seat post strap so I assume all is good, dropper-wise?

    I bought this tonight while at my LBS. I can return it if I want. Not sure if I am making progress with it or not...

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-fullsizeoutput_9a.jpg

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thanks for the response. If you don't mind me asking, how are the contents of the seat bag after some fast long descents? The last seat bag I had turned the contents into saw dust, no matter how tightly I cinched things up.

    Also, no issues with a dropper I assume? There is no seat post strap so I assume all is good, dropper-wise?

    I bought this tonight while at my LBS. I can return it if I want. Not sure if I am making progress with it or not...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9a.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	1233348
    The contents were all fine, the bag is looped through the seat rails and causes no issues with my dropper. I'm not sure what you meant by saw dust, like literally your items disintegrated? maybe pack a pair of spare socks? i think if the bag is stuffed full, the contents are less likely to shift about and cause damage.

    Though I've only used this rolltop bag for maybe 20 miles of riding, and here in Michigan, there isn't any "long descents" to speak of. That being said, I do try and get rowdy when I'm riding. I'm on a hardtail if that makes a difference.

  17. #17
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    I'm confused. There are great alternatives to a pack, many of which were listed here. What are you looking for that the recommendations don't solve? Why do you consider these solutions bad? You can put it basically on any tube with the original item you showed, put it behind the saddle, or as a replacement for a bottle (since you aren't concerned with hydration). All of these solutions help you to go packless. What box is still unchecked?
    In short, when it comes to my bikes, I have OCD pretty bad. I don't like the idea of strapping shit straight to the frame. And I hate to give up the opportunity to have a bottle on my bike, regardless of how much I pre-hydrate.

  18. #18
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    The contents were all fine, the bag is looped through the seat rails and causes no issues with my dropper. I'm not sure what you meant by saw dust, like literally your items disintegrated? maybe pack a pair of spare socks? i think if the bag is stuffed full, the contents are less likely to shift about and cause damage.

    Though I've only used this rolltop bag for maybe 20 miles of riding, and here in Michigan, there isn't any "long descents" to speak of. That being said, I do try and get rowdy when I'm riding. I'm on a hardtail if that makes a difference.
    In terms of self destruction, I would expect it would be far worse with a hardtail. That is where mine is destined as well - a hardtail.

    It's not just the contents though, but the bag itself. There is a gentle warning at Wolf Tooth's site about having anything rubbing from inside:

    "When mounting hard items in bag (like a multi tool), be sure that there is some padding between that hard item and any external hard surface like a saddle rail or the B-RAD mounting plate. Rubbing between two hard surfaces/edges/corners with grit mixed in will eventually wear through the bag."

    Last time I used a seat bag, the contents got pretty beaten up from the constant vibrations, and the bag began to wear out from the inside.

    All that said, I may pick one up. If I don't like it, I am not out much money. I will cinch the shit out of it, and maybe put things inside little bags or wrap them up before they go inside the seat bag. It sounds like you are reasonably pleased with yours. I am sure it will do the trick just fine.

    Thanks again.

  19. #19
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    ...I'm sure the Wolf Tooth product is good, but is it $50 better than the cheaper option?
    Among other things, just trying to help out my brothers to the south

  20. #20
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I have something similar made by Rogue Panda, a downtube bag that I have all my tools, a tube and a few co2. tire levers, allen wrenches, chain breaker, tire plugs, valve tool, rags, spare valves, patches, works great! Mine is a zipper type not the newer roll top they have, like this https://www.roguepanda.com/shop/oracle-downtube-bag/
    If I could quit being so picky about things and strap stuff to my frame, this would be a great option. That said, they need to re-do their promotional video. I couldn't get through it.

    I am just happy about getting a bunch of useful responses before this thread is moved to some morgue of a sub-forum where it will be sentenced to death.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    In terms of self destruction, I would expect it would be far worse with a hardtail. That is where mine is destined as well - a hardtail.

    It's not just the contents though, but the bag itself. There is a gentle warning at Wolf Tooth's site about having anything rubbing from inside:

    "When mounting hard items in bag (like a multi tool), be sure that there is some padding between that hard item and any external hard surface like a saddle rail or the B-RAD mounting plate. Rubbing between two hard surfaces/edges/corners with grit mixed in will eventually wear through the bag."

    Last time I used a seat bag, the contents got pretty beaten up from the constant vibrations, and the bag began to wear out from the inside.

    All that said, I may pick one up. If I don't like it, I am not out much money. I will cinch the shit out of it, and maybe put things inside little bags or wrap them up before they go inside the seat bag. It sounds like you are reasonably pleased with yours. I am sure it will do the trick just fine.

    Thanks again.
    Yea, I am pleased so far. but it hasn't quite gone through the wringer so it may eventually get worn out like you've experienced with other brands. But if that only happens after a season worth of riding, I might just chalk it up to a wear/replace item.

    And my multitool is crankbrothers M19 that I keep in the case that it comes in, so that might contribute to protection. I think we have similar taste in what we want and don't want on our bikes (I never wanted to strap anything to my frame).

    what do you do with your phone on your packless rides? pocket? I don't trust leaving that phone on my body as it might hinder my movement or it might be prone to being smashed.

    another thing I was looking for a solution for is GPS navigation. sometimes on my quick packless rides, I'd like to have GPS guidance to navigate through neighborhoods rather than riding on main road. So I'm not sure if I'd want to use a phone mount or get a dedicated GPS unit. Or maybe it's back to the memorizing routes in my head like in the 90s

  22. #22
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,309
    The EDC pump comes with a good bracket. I have this Dakine tube pouch with an extra road tube strap. Holds tube, levers, and a CO2 cartridge with no movement at all. Tube is in a nitrel glove to keep it clean. Last outing on my FS I rolled up my rain jacket in a plastic bag and strapped it to the underside of my top tube. I get creative to not drag out the pack.

    Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    another thing I was looking for a solution for is GPS navigation. sometimes on my quick packless rides, I'd like to have GPS guidance to navigate through neighborhoods rather than riding on main road. So I'm not sure if I'd want to use a phone mount or get a dedicated GPS unit. Or maybe it's back to the memorizing routes in my head like in the 90s
    I posted about this a few months ago, I think. Personally, I mount my phone, both road and mtb, but I am definitely the minority. I also also have a cheap phone, as well as a way to protect it from a fall, at least a little bit.

    I decided not go with GPS because I wanted to use apps like alltrails, and mtb project. I also never do the memorizing routes, because that's just going to be problematic. It's akin to studying for an exam as far as I'm concerned.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    In short, when it comes to my bikes, I have OCD pretty bad. I don't like the idea of strapping shit straight to the frame. And I hate to give up the opportunity to have a bottle on my bike, regardless of how much I pre-hydrate.
    I definitely understand that. Although I hate to say it, but you're running out of options. It's either on you or on the bike.

    I suppose you could get a BOB trailer and strap your equipment to that instead.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    I also never do the memorizing routes, because that's just going to be problematic. It's akin to studying for an exam as far as I'm concerned.
    yes especially with where I live now, all the neighborhood roads look the same, sound the same, and winds and twists without following a single cardinal direction, and worst of all, most of them dead-ends.

    maybe i just need to print out and laminate some detailed maps and go low-tech.

  26. #26
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Among other things, just trying to help out my brothers to the south
    And we appreciate that...things aren't great on this side of the hedge lately.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    yes especially with where I live now, all the neighborhood roads look the same, sound the same, and winds and twists without following a single cardinal direction, and worst of all, most of them dead-ends.

    maybe i just need to print out and laminate some detailed maps and go low-tech.
    I made my own phone mount out of a small scrap of wood and a waterproof rolltop bag. The bag helps to keep water off the device and also offers protection when I crash (I also use it for mountain biking). It works really well.

    The other nice thing about the phone is that it will do turn by turn directions, so you don't even need the screen on.

  28. #28
    aka: SpeedyChix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    281
    I recently started to use the B-Rad roll top. Wanted a solid mounting seatpack and the wide strap on the B-Rad roll top checks that box. You can cinch it down tight around partially full contents. Had one of those thin promotional can koozies and put the load of items that were destined for the pack in there and slid it all into the roll top. That should both keep things from rattling around inside as much as well as protect the bag. The material should help keep contents dry on winter rides too.

  29. #29
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    I recently started to use the B-Rad roll top. Wanted a solid mounting seatpack and the wide strap on the B-Rad roll top checks that box. You can cinch it down tight around partially full contents. Had one of those thin promotional can koozies and put the load of items that were destined for the pack in there and slid it all into the roll top. That should both keep things from rattling around inside as much as well as protect the bag. The material should help keep contents dry on winter rides too.
    Good idea.

    How close is the front of that bag to the back of the stanchion of the dropper?

  30. #30
    aka: SpeedyChix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Good idea.

    How close is the front of that bag to the back of the stanchion of the dropper?
    There are three places where you can pass the strap through the top of the pack. With it in the middle on my bike, it will just touch the back of the post. If you run it through the one closest to the bottom of the pack it'll have at least 2" of clearance and seems unlikely it would make any contact with the post even on super rough terrain.

    Looking at the photos in the OP, the pack off the bike pic the strap is through the middle. The side shot w/it on a saddle, it's through the bottom one.

    Side note: I was ready to order the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper for use under seat but could only find them in camo. The WolfTooth roll top bag is so much more versatile and holds a reasonable amount more. I'm tired of straps and lashing things to the bike. Keeps stuff more protected as well. No more gritty multi tools.

    There's also the Bedrockbags Sindbad stash pack that's a similar design. Hard to tell if there's a bit more clearance or not. Based on where the strap sets I think it would be more like middle strap position of the WolfTooth.

  31. #31
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    There are three places where you can pass the strap through the top of the pack. With it in the middle on my bike, it will just touch the back of the post. If you run it through the one closest to the bottom of the pack it'll have at least 2" of clearance and seems unlikely it would make any contact with the post even on super rough terrain.

    Looking at the photos in the OP, the pack off the bike pic the strap is through the middle. The side shot w/it on a saddle, it's through the bottom one.

    Side note: I was ready to order the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper for use under seat but could only find them in camo. The WolfTooth roll top bag is so much more versatile and holds a reasonable amount more. I'm tired of straps and lashing things to the bike. Keeps stuff more protected as well. No more gritty multi tools.

    There's also the Bedrockbags Sindbad stash pack that's a similar design. Hard to tell if there's a bit more clearance or not. Based on where the strap sets I think it would be more like middle strap position of the WolfTooth.
    Thanks.

    I ordered the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper in black today. It was on sale. Super cheap.

    I may still order the WT Roll Top Bag as well.

    Hopefully none of the under the saddle stuff screws with my dropper - either by coming into contact with it, or grinding into my tire when my dropper is down.

  32. #32
    aka: SpeedyChix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    281
    Where did you find it in black? Would like to get one for a specific use as it will really tuck up under the saddle. thx

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thanks.

    I ordered the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper in black today. It was on sale. Super cheap.

    I may still order the WT Roll Top Bag as well.

    Hopefully none of the under the saddle stuff screws with my dropper - either by coming into contact with it, or grinding into my tire when my dropper is down.

  33. #33
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Where did you find it in black? Would like to get one for a specific use as it will really tuck up under the saddle. thx
    I didn't post it before because I don't think this will help you, because I am in Canada. Nonetheless, I got it at Sport Chek (of all places):

    https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...8429=332498430

    According to Travis Bickle, this works fine, so long as you use second strap to better secure it to the seat post rails.

    At $18 CDN, it's worth a shot (I had a free shipping code that I used, so I saved on shipping costs).

  34. #34
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,970
    wow

    good thing I kept my seat bag from 30 years ago,

    it is the same fricking damn thing.

    reinventing 'the name' for a seat bag every 15 months I guess...that's innovation
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  35. #35
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    wow

    good thing I kept my seat bag from 30 years ago,

    it is the same fricking damn thing...
    I highly doubt it. In any event, some of us don't have a seat bag from 30 years ago.

  36. #36
    aka: SpeedyChix
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I didn't post it before because I don't think this will help you, because I am in Canada. Nonetheless, I got it at Sport Chek (of all places):

    https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...8429=332498430

    According to Travis Bickle, this works fine, so long as you use second strap to better secure it to the seat post rails.

    At $18 CDN, it's worth a shot (I had a free shipping code that I used, so I saved on shipping costs).
    Thanks. Shipping will probably eliminate it but will check. Edit: no US shipping.

    @127.0.0.1 I've had a number of seat packs over the years. Jandd may have had the best one of those for durability and utility. The fabric on all of them gives way over time (or the zipper or straps). New riders or those of us who've ridden a lot / long time wear stuff out too. Glad there are more options than ever. This roll top back happens to solve a number of issues with some others of late.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    wow

    good thing I kept my seat bag from 30 years ago,

    it is the same fricking damn thing.

    reinventing 'the name' for a seat bag every 15 months I guess...that's innovation
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I highly doubt it. In any event, some of us don't have a seat bag from 30 years ago.
    Well, to be honest, it pretty much is the same thing. I have a couple iconic Blackburn saddle bags (with the black plastic ribbing on the bottom)...from about 25 years ago. They're the same size and their function is to hold stuff on your bike. There are only two differences that I see. One is that you can move the location of the roll top bag (which is only a benefit if you want it somewhere other than under your saddle). Two, it's waterproof. This is a double edged sword though because in order for this to occur, the closure is much more cumbersome compared to a zippered saddle bag.

    I suppose there is a third difference. Cost. Saddle bags are typically a fraction of the price of the the Wolf Tooth set up.

  38. #38
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Well, to be honest, it pretty much is the same thing. I have a couple iconic Blackburn saddle bags (with the black plastic ribbing on the bottom)...from about 25 years ago. They're the same size and their function is to hold stuff on your bike. There are only two differences that I see. One is that you can move the location of the roll top bag (which is only a benefit if you want it somewhere other than under your saddle). Two, it's waterproof. This is a double edged sword though because in order for this to occur, the closure is much more cumbersome compared to a zippered saddle bag.

    I suppose there is a third difference. Cost. Saddle bags are typically a fraction of the price of the the Wolf Tooth set up.
    Does your old one have a velcro loop that secures the bag to the seat post?

    Also, as you alluded to, in addition to being strapped anywhere on the frame, the Wolf Tooth can be mounted on bottle bosses, which is great option.

    But whatever. Nobody was suggesting that the Wolf Tooth was some kind of innovative wonder. It's simply one of a number of options available to help one run packless.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Does your old one have a velcro loop that secures the bag to the seat post?

    Also, as you alluded to, in addition to being strapped anywhere on the frame, the Wolf Tooth can be mounted on bottle bosses, which is great option.

    But whatever. Nobody was suggesting that the Wolf Tooth was some kind of innovative wonder. It's simply one of a number of options available to help one run packless.
    Yeah, it does! One of them even has the zipper to expand the capacity. I tried to find a picture online to show, but the only one I found was more current than mine....and it had a caption of vintage!

    And it is true that it's just another option. Can't complain about having choices!

  40. #40
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Yeah, it does!...!
    But that's a bad thing, right? I am not about to attach the bag to my dropper stanchion. The Wolf Tooth design does not depend on this.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    But that's a bad thing, right? I am not about to attach the bag to my dropper stanchion. The Wolf Tooth design does not depend on this.
    Not a problem for me. The velcro attachment has never interfered with my static dropper post.

    I understand your point, but there are also many saddlebags on the market that avoid the seatpost attachment. This was true even back then, just to a lesser extent.

  42. #42
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,956
    Mountain Bike Advertisement mag (Jan. '19) has a 5-star review of the Roll-Top bag.

    "...a high-quality option with a clever design for riders looking for some extra storage on their bikes."

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    52

  44. #44
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    Pricey, but interesting. Another potential solution. Thanks for posting.

    I have a Dakine Hot Laps Gripper Bag on the way. $20 all in vs $80 + shipping CDN. If the Dakine bag is good enough for TB (see above), I am sure it will be good enough for me.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tweeder82o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Pricey, but interesting. Another potential solution. Thanks for posting.

    I have a Dakine Hot Laps Gripper Bag on the way. $20 all in vs $80 + shipping CDN. If the Dakine bag is good enough for TB (see above), I am sure it will be good enough for me.
    keep us posted on how your solutions work out

  46. #46
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,837
    I'm using the Dakine Gripper Bag on my gravel bike. Works fine under the saddle for carrying all of my tools (2 co2 cartridges, co2 head, patch kit, tube, multi-tool, and tire lever). The velcro keeps the bag nice and tight to the rails, eliminating rattle that annoys me with a regular bag. It is less convenient to get something out. A bit more fiddly.

    The Gripper Bag is not particularly large. With a regular sized 29er tube, I'm not sure there would be enough space for everything. I pretty much use my camelback for my various mountain bikes. In race mode, I'll strap crap to the frame with velcro and/or awesome straps.

    I may order the Wolf Tooth Roll Top Bag just for the heck of it. Would probably be good for storing crap for my fat bike, which sees nastier conditions than my regular mountain bikes.
    baker

  47. #47
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I'm using the Dakine Gripper Bag on my gravel bike. Works fine under the saddle for carrying all of my tools (2 co2 cartridges, co2 head, patch kit, tube, multi-tool, and tire lever). The velcro keeps the bag nice and tight to the rails, eliminating rattle that annoys me with a regular bag. It is less convenient to get something out. A bit more fiddly.

    The Gripper Bag is not particularly large. With a regular sized 29er tube, I'm not sure there would be enough space for everything. I pretty much use my camelback for my various mountain bikes. In race mode, I'll strap crap to the frame with velcro and/or awesome straps.

    I may order the Wolf Tooth Roll Top Bag just for the heck of it. Would probably be good for storing crap for my fat bike, which sees nastier conditions than my regular mountain bikes.
    You think I may have trouble getting a tube, 2 CO2 cartridges, a CO2 head, and 2 tire levers in the Gripper bag? I will use a 27.5 tube - they are smaller and will work on both my daughter's 27.5 and my 29er.

  48. #48
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    You think I may have trouble getting a tube, 2 CO2 cartridges, a CO2 head, and 2 tire levers in the Gripper bag? I will use a 27.5 tube - they are smaller and will work on both my daughter's 27.5 and my 29er.
    I'll try later and let you know. Time for another lap on the neighborhood trail with the other daughter before it gets dark. Maybe a night lap on the fat bike later or tomorrow. :-)

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-laurenbakersacres.jpg
    baker

  49. #49
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,837
    Here ya go...26er tube but whatever (I don't think I've ever purchased a 27.5 tube, but I think the size diff is negligible)





    Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    baker

  50. #50
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Here ya go...26er tube but whatever (I don't think I've ever purchased a 27.5 tube, but I think the size diff is negligible)





    Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    This is an older post that I am going to circle back to.

    First of all, thank you baker for posting the pics of the Gripper Bag. VERY helpful.

    Anyway, I was at my LBS not long ago to get a brake caliper replaced on my commuter. It was late morning on a weekday so the LBS was not bustling like it usually is after work and on weekends. I was able to have a better look around at things while I was waiting. Lo and behold, there were SWAT Bandits hanging on a display rack. Dammit did they look slick.

    Given that I am rocking a Specialized Power saddle on my Sight, I thought I would grab one. It was dirt cheap ($22 CDN). I figured what the hell.

    I brought it home and installed it on my Sight. Oh my. The thing is incredible. I have a TON of clearance between it and my dropper stanchion, it comes nowhere close to my rear tire with the seat dropped and my shock compressed (although I have not yet emptied the shock to put the linkage through its full travel), and it is STABLE AF.

    To address some comments in another sub-forum about its long term integrity, I am going to put another strap around it to take the weight off the bracket that is attached to the underside of the saddle.

    I have been obsessing about riding packless and am committed to doing it this year, apart from epic rides. The SWAT Bandit, combined with the SWAT Zee cage with tool, checks all the boxes and is the best solution I have come across so far.

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-specialized.jpg

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-specialized.jpg

    Wolf Tooth B-Rad Accessory Strap and Roll Top Bag-specialized.jpg

    That said, for my yet to be ridden Honzo, I am going to keep that 30th B-Day Edition saddle on there. I like WTB saddles and this one is particularly rad. Comforted by responses in this thread, I have the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag on order (should be here in a week or so - only about $22 CDN as well - same as the Bandit). This, combined with the Zee SWAT cage and tool, looks to me to be the best solution for a non-Specialized saddle. I shall see soon...

Similar Threads

  1. Wolf Tooth GCX 46 Tooth Cog
    By DrDon in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2017, 10:28 PM
  2. Wolf Tooth Goat Link vs OneUp RAD Cage vs Long B Tension Screw
    By aliikane in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM
  3. Full face helmet with a buckle chin strap NOT a double D-ring strap
    By pushinpixels in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
  4. 2 strap or 3 strap MTB shoes
    By timo612 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
  5. Roll out...Roll out...Roll out...Roll out...
    By O~Hi~O in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 05:06 PM

Members who have read this thread: 154

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.