No. Just No.

Wingnut Gear packs?

Since Dirtjunkie has impaled himself on a fork or something to that effect over in the Awesome Strap thread, it may be time to discuss the nuances of the brilliantly minimalist Wingnut Gear packs, which have been my fave for the past few years.

Wingnut Gear - Whistle Buckle ? Always there, always handy.

I harbor no ambitions for this thread to achieve the lofty heights of the Awesome Strap discussion, but maybe there is a fellow Wingnut somewhere on this forum who can share some groovy Wingnut love?

The pack has done everything I expected of it. The construction and materials have been top notch, without a hint of giving up after several years. The low position of the pack has worked perfectly to carry the load more resting on top of my low back without as much of a pulling strain loading into my neck and shoulders on the days when the awesomeness of the Awesome Strap along with my jersey pockets doesn't have enough carrying capacity (unusual, but it does happen).

You provide your own bladder+tube+valve, but that's easy enough as most of us already have some, and then allows for combining a best-of-breed pack solution instead of being forced to buy another bladder that I probably don't need or want.

I use Wingnut's Hyper 2.5 pack but they also make smaller and larger packs. Not that cheap, but it is a specialty pack and I consider it good value for what it has done for my riding experiences compared to other packs I've had, some of which have been good, but not quite as well tuned to my needs as the Wingnut.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been using them for years and love them. Got rid of the back pain that I used to have from my camelback. Can access the side pockets without taking it off. Lower slung weigt is more stable and comfortable to me. I am using the smae packs that I bought in I think 2006-2007. I don't knwo the model names but one is really large volume and the other is small volume. It sounds like the company is still very small but will be doing more with their patent.

mtbr member
    I am not sure of how their packs feel. After wearing different set ups in the Army, no problems if it does not feel uncomfortable, and functions for the needed purpose.
    I had an older Camelback Mule that never felt balanced right due to strap position. My Dakine is not bad in that respect. It does not look like you can try one on first to see how it would feel.
    I don't see an issue with having to get a bladder setup on your own. I have liked the pack but not the bladder or bite valve, and vice versa.
    It reads like the maker is doing them as they are ordered and concentrating on other ventures.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    I am not sure of how their packs feel... It does not look like you can try one on first to see how it would feel.
    I remember finally deciding to take a leap of faith, after reading up as much as I could. I'm glad I did, but can imagine that it might be be a configuration of pack that would suit everyone. It's certainly different feeling, so it has to be taken in a different way.

They also work best with the waist strap snugged up decently from my experience. With taller packs I used to even have them bounce up sometimes and contact the back of my helmet on rough steeps, but that problem disappeared with the Wingnut. It wasn't the reason I bought it, but it was nice unexpected bonus.

Another nice effect was avoiding the large coverage area on the back for better airflow and less sweat moisture buildup under clothes. Some other pack designs with suspension structures or breathable areas have improved this also in recent years, but not as well as just having open to the air.

I'm not certain, but as you have already implied I'm doubting you can find them in any retail locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    It reads like the maker is doing them as they are ordered and concentrating on other ventures.
    I'm not sure what their setup is, but that wouldn't surprise me. They are definitely a small boutique maker, not a mass-market producer. That wasn't an issue for me though, as I wasn't in a hurry to take delivery and was hoping it would be something I would use for several years after.

In the end it was a great move for me, the primary goal of which was to alleviate pain a bit in each of neck, shoulders, and lower back on long rides. Perhaps one day I might get one of their larger packs too in case they ever decide to wind down the pack business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is a little more like putting on a real backpack. It doesn't have a frame, but you tilt forward at the waist and tighten down the shoulder straps, waist strap is cineched tight (that is first), and then you do the chest strap. The weight is slung low is carried more by the hips. As noted above, mid to upper part of back is exposed for air flow. It stays put and doesn't bounce around.

When I ordered mine it took 3-4 weeks. But the guy is making them himself. I got mine in 2006-2007 time frame and all the zippers still work like new, no rips in the pockets, cargo netting is still in great shape. It is a quality build.

There are a lot of hydration bladder options now, even REI has a good selection off the shelf, so I like that it lets you choose which one you want. I run the Platypus system with it, nice long hose, run straight over top of shoulder through one of the loops that fasten it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i ordered one today from a nice little bike shop in southern ca via google search / phone call / talk with a person at the shop who has used them for years.

recs here by shiggy, she&i along with several excellant professionals reviews and my own tid/bit experiance with switching to flyfishing lumbar packs maybe 5 years ago with Huge improvement versus vests,napsacks,packs used decades prior ~ also led me

i ordered a hyper 3 and a 100oz bladder

mostly for day trip'in/tour/explore, local utility runs and if needed exttra for backpackin. i run gravel / gravel grind also............except we call em "dirt roads " here...........i may run one of these growing - whoop-tee-do-da (grin) "Gravel Grinders" someday ---------if they don't become to comercialized for my taste before i do.............and they are getting there now .............seems it would be good for "dirt" road grinders too.

thanks

mtbr member
    Love my hyper 2.5. Snagged it in a little shop in Ashland OR. I'm 6'3" and it fits nicely on my hips and the straps are plenty long. I can fit 2 70oz hydrapak bladders horizontally for long Northern California summer day rides. I usually ride nights and having the 2 5500mAh batteries for my helmet lights (extension cords route up the strap)plus one bladder and stuff on the hips keeps my 55yo back happy

mtbr member
    I've used a hyper 2.5 for about 3years now. I really love this pack.
    A few stitches have started to Frey and I've found shoe glue works wonders on all the seams and stitch overlaps.
    I've even used the shoeglue to reinforce things that haven't failed yet.
    Also put a dab on ends of straps that you've cut and the glue bead will prevent the strap from slipping through the buckle.
    Just ordered an Assault tonight (8-4-14) If by some miracle it shows up by 8-15 ill use it in my next 100 mi Mtb race.
    Fingers crossed.
    They are excellent packs!

mtbr member
    So I just received the new "1.8" it's super light and still holds quite a lot.
    These are not available yet. I just wanted to try out his smaller pack size so I waited a few months for it. Glad I did. Very happy.
    Here is a pic of my larger 2.5 next to the new 1.8.
    I'll be trimming the excess straps after a few more rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Found a shop in SoCal that sells them, going take a drive this weekend and pick up a 2.5. Been wanting on these for awhile now...

http://www.hubcyclery.com/m/product-...26/?rb_br=1128

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Since Dirtjunkie has impaled himself on a fork or something to that effect over in the Awesome Strap thread, it may be time to discuss the nuances of the brilliantly minimalist Wingnut Gear packs, which have been my fave for the past few years.

Wingnut Gear - Whistle Buckle ? Always there, always handy.

I harbor no ambitions for this thread to achieve the lofty heights of the Awesome Strap discussion, but maybe there is a fellow Wingnut somewhere on this forum who can share some groovy Wingnut love?

The pack has done everything I expected of it. The construction and materials have been top notch, without a hint of giving up after several years. The low position of the pack has worked perfectly to carry the load more resting on top of my low back without as much of a pulling strain loading into my neck and shoulders on the days when the awesomeness of the Awesome Strap along with my jersey pockets doesn't have enough carrying capacity (unusual, but it does happen).

You provide your own bladder+tube+valve, but that's easy enough as most of us already have some, and then allows for combining a best-of-breed pack solution instead of being forced to buy another bladder that I probably don't need or want.

I use Wingnut's Hyper 2.5 pack but they also make smaller and larger packs. Not that cheap, but it is a specialty pack and I consider it good value for what it has done for my riding experiences compared to other packs I've had, some of which have been good, but not quite as well tuned to my needs as the Wingnut.
    Now how did I miss this thread 9 months ago?

I'll have to look in to this awesome pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

Wingnut Gear packs?

Quote Originally Posted by ricerooster View Post
    Found a shop in SoCal that sells them, going take a drive this weekend and pick up a 2.5. Been wanting on these for awhile now...

https://www.hubcyclery.com/m/product...26/?rb_br=1128

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Cool. Almost everywhere I ride people comment on my pack. They will spoil you especially on hot summer day when others have their backs covered and sweaty. Also nice is the lack of padding and excess material that just grows exponentially heavier with rain in winter or heavy sweat.
    The 2.5 is the best all around pack that can carry everything I've ever wanted but will cinch up small and tight if only lightly loaded.
    Take awhile to fit it so that most of the weight is carried at hips and just supported buy shoulders in your riding position.
    You'll love it.

.....the end

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Now how did I miss this thread 9 months ago?
    No worries. Some loss of mental acuity is expected as the years pass.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    No worries. Some loss of mental acuity is expected as the years pass.
    Hey I can still read.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 22, web cart is still down but I am starting a new run this week! email order requests and question’s. Pricing is going up after St patricks Day. order now. New website end of March… frame packs, 1.8 lumbar pack, plus beer growler cases for your bike. In these lack luster winter months I have retooled the shop and started a beer brewing co-op. WTF right?? My priority list 2016….??? bags , bikes and beer! in that order, except right now I am working it backwards prepping for St Patricks day, have you seen my truck? Growler carriers for your bike frame, duh. Like the FB page to see the truck and get in the loop till the site is up. LUV ya, yup still here, still riding that edge of sanity , join me, waaaaay more fun being a wingnut then some desert wandering pack mule that follows the leader. - See more at: Wingnut Gear | Whistle Buckle ? Always there, always handy.
    Hope he maintains this order of bidness. Sounds like just what I need to keep my neck happy!

Prices aren't bad at all, maybe a bit pricier than Cambak/Osprey, but a good investment. Sounds like a few improvements have been made (gel flask pocket!).
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Got one last weekend from a local shop. Went with the 2.5. It holds the volt 3l bag easy. Will let you know how it works long term.
    HBSURFDAD
    2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29er evo. XXL.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I've had my Hyper 3.0 for about a year now. Its an awesome pack, keeps the weight low and my back happy. I'm a pretty big guy and this is the only pack I've ever had that fits well and has enough adjustment in the straps to be comfortable. Everything else looks and feels like a Hello Kitty backpack on me, its really the perfect Clydesdale bag. It holds everything but the kitchen sink and then some, much bigger than I had expected. I'm hoping he gets his website and customer service / communication issues sorted out because I'd love to order a 2.5 or maybe the new 1.8 from him soon as a smaller / lighter alternative to my 3.0.

Not helpful.
    What an effed up site.

He has the products listed under the Products/checkout menu. It was only luck that I found them there. Who goes to the Checkout if they haven't seen the products yet?

Tried to order a 2.5, put it in the cart and every time it kept telling me my cart was empty.

He'd probably sell 2x the packs if he had a pro rework the site. Lots of grammatical errors, 'your' instead of 'you're', other misspellings. C'mon, this is 2016!

I'll probably just call and order one.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    What an effed up site.

He has the products listed under the Products/checkout menu. It was only luck that I found them there. Who goes to the Checkout if they haven't seen the products yet?

Tried to order a 2.5, put it in the cart and every time it kept telling me my cart was empty.

He'd probably sell 2x the packs if he had a pro rework the site. Lots of grammatical errors, 'your' instead of 'you're', other misspellings. C'mon, this is 2016!

I'll probably just call and order one.
    Don't let that stuff upset, it is an amazing product. I have been rocking them for about ten years now. Nothing has changed, after placing my order I didn't get an email receipt or any contact. Days, even a wek went by so I called the "company" (him). he answered and explained it was just him and the pack would be in the mail by __ and it was.

He is a one-man shop and as you can tell from his own postings, he is stoked about a lot of things, including Wingnut packs. All the zippers and seams on both my Wingnuts are still bullet proof as day one and they still are the best fitting pack I have ever used for riding. Git one.

Oh yeah, fogot to add that you should definitely call or email him and order one. If you are expecting him to get on here in response to this thread, don't waste your time. Dude marches to a different drummer.

mtbr member
    Anybody order one of this lately, an approximation on order to delivery time?

Patience is a virtue....

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Anybody order one of this lately, an approximation on order to delivery time?

Patience is a virtue....
    Seems to me you'd be better off calling one of the six shops he has listed and order from them.

I never did buy one.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Seems to me you'd be better off calling one of the six shops he has listed and order from them.

I never did buy one.
    I did investigate that option a little but seems even that info is dated. I ordered one from his site.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I almost ordered another one a couple of weeks ago but decided to try a Mountainsmith pack with strapettes. after one long ride using the new pack, I am not missing Wingnut.