Will Switchback bikes make it?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Will Switchback bikes make it?

I got an email from switchbackbikes.com today advertising their business. I'm not sure how they got my email address, but I still went to their site to check out the business. They want to show a behind the scenes look at the bike industry. They're running a crowd funding campaign and need at least 50 orders to start production.

Do you think switchback will still be around 5 years down the road?
    Although it would be good for consumers (more competition, behind the scenes look at the industry), I don't think they'll last long for a number of reasons:

- They're already likely breaking the law sending unsolicited email (Can SPAM act). That shows desperation.

- They don't offer anything proprietary. At least as far as I can tell. The frames are strait from a Tawain distributor who the owner has only contacted remotely.

- The owner doesn't seem to be putting in a lot of money to start the company (crowd funding, skyping instead of traveling to Taiwan).

- I'm not a fan of the design or logo. Just my personal tastes, but I feel it goes a long when consumers are spending serious $ on bikes.

- I'm not sure why someone would gamble with them instead of going with a reputable or buying direct from Asia.

- The owner wasn't successful at running a bike shop and hasn't been employed for sometime. He does sound like a nice, honest guy but that doesn't equal success.

Anyway, just curious how others feel. Would be interesting too if the owner replies, being a mountain bike enthusiast, I'm sure he's on this forum.
    Last edited by bank5; 12-02-2013 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is a 3-year warranty, transferrable to a new owner. See the link to the PDF here:
    29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

But yeah, I don't see a single thing on the web site as to why I should buy his brand over some other. I guess if you have money and want something that no one else on your trail has....

He has devoted a lot of time and money to the web site, prototypes, etc. I hope he is wildly successful and his bikes make a lot of people happy.

AZ
    banned
    Pick out a frame from a catalog and start your own kicksarter campaign, it has about the same chances of success. You have to have very deep pockets to keep a company afloat once the warranty issues start and it has been the demise of more than one well funded bike "company".

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    There is a 3-year warranty, transferrable to a new owner. See the link to the PDF here:

But yeah, I don't see a single thing on the web site as to why I should buy his brand over some other. I guess if you have money and want something that no one else on your trail has....

He has devoted a lot of time and money to the web site, prototypes, etc. I hope he is wildly successful and his bikes make a lot of people happy.
    I don't know if he spent a lot of time on the web site, it doesn't look that impressive. And as for the prototypes he probably pick them out of a catalogue. Not saying he hasn't worked on it but it doesn't appear that way from the web site. $100 for one year of hosting and a program like wordpress that is a free online web site builder and any one can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I got an email from switchbackbikes.com today advertising their business. I'm not sure how they got my email address, but I still went to their site to check out the business. They want to show a behind the scenes look at the bike industry. They're running a crowd funding campaign and need at least 50 orders to start production.

Although it would be good for consumers (more competition, behind the scenes look at the industry), I don't think they'll last long for a number of reasons:

- They're already likely breaking the law sending unsolicited email (Can SPAM act). That shows desperation.

- They don't offer anything proprietary. At least as far as I can tell. The frames are strait from a Tawain distributor who the owner has only contacted remotely.

- The owner doesn't seem to be putting in a lot of money to start the company (crowd funding, skyping instead of traveling to Taiwan).

- I'm not a fan of the design or logo. Just my personal tastes, but I feel it goes a long when consumers are spending serious $ on bikes.

- I'm not sure why someone would gamble with them instead of going with a reputable or buying direct from Asia.

- The owner wasn't successful at running a bike shop and hasn't been employed for sometime. He does sound like a nice, honest guy but that doesn't equal success.

Anyway, just curious how others feel. Would be interesting too if the owner replies, being a mountain bike enthusiast, I'm sure he's on this forum.
    @Bank5 - sorry for the delay replying to this....I am never on this forum. To answer some of your questions:
    - how I got your e-mail address/sending SPAM.....the e-mail list I used is the opted-in customer list from the Bike Shop (Hammerhead Bikes). I offered several big Giveaways (Niner AIR9 Carbon, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Industry Nine Wheels) so my guess is you signed up for one of those Giveaways and that's how you opted-in.
    I definitely didn't purchase an e-mail address list....that crap annoys the hell out of me too

- To find out a little more about me and if I'm "legit" do a search for the Hammerheadbikes user name and you will see my "history" on mtbr and here are some customer reviews from when the shop was open Hammerheadbikes Oklahoma Bike Shop Reviews

- I have met the Manufacturers in Taiwan in person as well. The majority of communication (by all Brands working w/ factories overseas) is via e-mail & Skype. That is just the reality of how you get business done w/ Taiwan.

- I tried putting a lot of money into a business....it ultimately didn't succeed and I lost a ton of money (along with a couple of my investors). I still struggle w/ the personal feeling of failure and that people other than myself lost their hard earned $$. That is one of the harsh realities of owning a business.

- check out our Blog 29er | 27.5 | FSR - Switchback Bikes ...it gives insight on going direct to China versus a Brand working w/ a Manufacturer in Taiwan. There is a big difference.

- Having picked myself back up off the pavement...the approach I am taking with the Switchback Brand is one that gives the business the best chance of "making it". Of course only time will tell.

- On a buyer confidence level....the majority of the overhead I have incurred is on the back-end to protect buyers from getting hosed if the business has to shut down. I have information about that on the products page 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

- I didn't hose any customers out of their $$ when I had to close down the shop and I have things set up so that won't happen with the Bike Brand either.

Thank you very much for reaching out and voicing your concerns.....

Scott Robertson

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have sent my money and purchased a Revel 7 XX1 from Switchback bikes. I can say that Scott has been great to work with. He has kept me in the loop about everything. Any questions that I have had Scott has responded almost immediately.

I did my research before I sent my money and I feel totally safe doing so.

Will Switchback make it? I don't know, I hope so. I really like his approach to starting his business.

Some of the post on here are a bit nit picky and absurd. Look if you don't like something don't buy it! the posts about his web site are just lame, super flashy web sites do not equal good customer service or good product.

I have also started and failed at a couple businesses but hey I tried and will do so again. Starting a business is hard work! That may be news for some of you. Keeping one running and being profitable is even more so. Scotts approach to this is really refreshing and I think it is a great way start.

I'll say it again, I don't know if Switchback will ultimately "make it" but I think Scott is honest and driven and is offering a bike with a great kit for a reasonable if not great price. Price the same kits on other bike brands you will spend about $2000.00 more.

The bike community is pretty small and when you break it down to just the mountain bike community it is extremely small. Once you tarnish your name while running a small business in this industry, that's it.

Again if you don't feel comfortable with purchasing this bike or don't like the way it looks. Don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to. Stop whining and go ride!

-Andy

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmonkey View Post
    I have sent my money and purchased a Revel 7 XX1 from Switchback bikes. I can say that Scott has been great to work with. He has kept me in the loop about everything. Any questions that I have had Scott has responded almost immediately.

I did my research before I sent my money and I feel totally safe doing so.

Will Switchback make it? I don't know, I hope so. I really like his approach to starting his business.

Some of the post on here are a bit nit picky and absurd. Look if you don't like something don't buy it! the posts about his web site are just lame, super flashy web sites do not equal good customer service or good product.

I have also started and failed at a couple businesses but hey I tried and will do so again. Starting a business is hard work! That may be news for some of you. Keeping one running and being profitable is even more so. Scotts approach to this is really refreshing and I think it is a great way start.

I'll say it again, I don't know if Switchback will ultimately "make it" but I think Scott is honest and driven and is offering a bike with a great kit for a reasonable if not great price. Price the same kits on other bike brands you will spend about $2000.00 more.

The bike community is pretty small and when you break it down to just the mountain bike community it is extremely small. Once you tarnish your name while running a small business in this industry, that's it.

Again if you don't feel comfortable with purchasing this bike or don't like the way it looks. Don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to. Stop wining and go ride!

-Andy

Uhmmmmm, nit picky? Absurd? Dude, this is a company that did the Zombie Resurrection out of the ashes of yet another failed company and you think its "nit picky" to question it? It's obvious that you are a shill for the company, maybe even a sock puppet of the owner so you have no credibility. And as a point of order, you have not purchased anything other than a promise. Shades of Iron Horse me thinks. Good luck to you and the bike company but I'll opt out of this one. Oh, its whinning not wining.

mtbr member
    They look pretty nice. But there is a lot of competition out there.

I imagine that a new brand like that would do best by getting some floor space in a shop next to some of the big brands. People come in to buy a Trek or Specialized, and then see the Switchback for less money and/or better spec.

Bang for the buck is what will sell it. It seems that that works better with some hands on visibility than with Internet sales.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    , its whinning not wining.
    It's Whining, not whinning or wining.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    It's Whining, not whinning or wining.

Notted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok fine, don't buy one. Nobody cares! Oh sorry for the spelling mistake DUDE.

I'm not a shill or sock puppet for the company. I think its absurd for people to get this fired up about something they don't want to buy in the first place. People just come onto a forum (pick one any one) a bash something just to do so.

I have never met Scott in person and have only dealt with him through email about the bike. I may lose my 4 grand, but I really don't think that will happen. I will post pics once I receive my bike.

Yes people fail in business that's part of it. Every successful company/person out there has failed at least once probably more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Smilinsteve don't say Specialized! They might sue you

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmonkey View Post
    Ok fine, don't buy one. Nobody cares! Oh sorry for the spelling mistake DUDE.

I'm not a shill or sock puppet for the company. I think its absurd for people to get this fired up about something they don't want to buy in the first place. People just come onto a forum (pick one any one) a bash something just to do so.

I have never met Scott in person and have only had dealt with him through email about the bike. I may loose my 4 grand, but I really don't think that will happen. I will post pics once I receive my bike.

Yes people fail in business that's part of it. Every successful company/person out there has failed at least once probably more.

Failing while using other peoples money is the part that gives me pause. Have fun Dude.

mtbr member
    Failing while using other peoples money is the part that gives me pause. Have fun Dude.
    Duuuuude

mtbr member
    AZ - maybe I wasn't clear enough about the investors losing money. 3 of us opened the shop together, all three of us invested in the business, and ultimately all 3 of us lost money. All 3 of us feel the same way about the other losing money...it sucks for all of us. Nobody was "using other people's money" like we were auditioning for the next American Greed.

If you are trying to infer that a customer would lose their money by purchasing a frame/bike from me, go check out Paypal's Buyer Protection Programs.

Thank you for your feedback, always good to see different perspectives....Scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Notted.
    *noted

AZ
    banned
    Paypal protection is null after 45 days. See the HBC debacle.

mtbr member
    Paypal protection is null after 45 days. See the HBC debacle.
    I have experienced first hand issuing a refund (at Paypal's request/instruction) to someone 90+ days after purchase, so you might double check that.

bike tester
    I see no reason for all the hostility around here. More competition is better for the consumer.

And even if the brand doesn't ultimately take off, worst case scenario this is the mother of all group buys. Close to OEM prices on everything.

Best of luck Scott, I hope you can make this work.

mtbr member
    sly3 - HA! Love it....and yes, very true. Thanks for throwing out the positive vibes.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    I have experienced first hand issuing a refund (at Paypal's request/instruction) to someone 90+ days after purchase, so you might double check that.

That was you issuing, if its a dispute filed by the buyer there is no protection after 45 days. You are representing your side of it, not both. Let the facts be clear. If this goes sideways most people may have zero recourse. Sorry but I've seen all the rainbows and Unicorns offered up in the bike industry and am very callous to it. Call me a skeptic but full disclosure of all the facts is in order.

From the Paypal site:

• Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute

Wild-Eyed Rectum 'Recker
    Bear in mind this name is wildly popular in North Vermont, from a Pub-Only unfiltered Ale to something now bottled - Switchback Ale I have drank a lot of this stuff.

...not saying anything other than you already have the potential to be losing overhead.

Best of luck for the New Year.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches

mtbr member
    That was you issuing, if its a dispute filed by the buyer there is no protection after 45 days. You are representing your side of it, not both. Let the facts be clear. If this goes sideways most people may have zero recourse. Sorry but I've seen all the rainbows and Unicorns offered up in the bike industry and am very callous to it. Call me a skeptic but full disclosure of all the facts is in order.

From the Paypal site:

• Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute
    AZ - And that entire process can take a lot longer than 45-days....so we are both right.....now let's move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Bear in mind this name is wildly popular in North Vermont, from a Pub-Only unfiltered Ale to something now bottled - Switchback Ale I have drank a lot of this stuff.

...not saying anything other than you already have the potential to be losing overhead.

Best of luck for the New Year.
    Nice! Will check them out.....maybe there needs to be a Double Complete Switchback Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well put!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Hmmm, pre buys, shills, and sock puppets. Sounds like the old Iron Horse days. Call me skeptical.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm just wondering what differentiates Switchback from other brands. The design looks pretty standard. The one selling point I could imagine would be direct-to-customer sales making it cheaper, but the MSRP isn't really low enough. For instance, the Unveil9 MSRP is $1399. Currently, Bikeman sells the 2013 Kona Satori for $1559. The Switchback is only $160 cheaper. However, they are selling the 2012 Satori for $1000.

So assuming that I was price sensitive and in the market for an AM 29er, I'd be looking for discounted last year's models and would bypass Switchback. I've noticed that Niners seem to get blown out pretty regularly - Jenson is currently selling FS Niners (JET9, WFO9 and RIP9) for under $1000!

It's a really tough market out there for mountain bikes. You really need to do something to distinguish yourself from the pack but that's gonna take genius level engineering because mountain bikes have become pretty refined. The only "innovation" in mountain bike design lately has been 27.5 wheels and short rear/slack front geometry and Surly's mid fat stuff (Krampus, new Instigator). Not really all that revolutionary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^ You got my attention with a FS Niner on Jenson for under $1000. However, the lowest price FS Niner on their site currently is $2099.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't spend anytime on this site but I'm surprised that any true hardcore mtn biker wouldn't fully support and cheer Scott on with his latest Switchback Bikes venture. I bought a Niner Jet9 RDO from Scott when he owned Hammerhead bikes, as did most of the people I know. Not only did Scott provide the best customer service when I purchased my bike, he stood behind it even after he sold his previous business.

When I cracked the frame on my RDO, I spent a month working through the local Niner dealer trying to get a warranty replacement with absolutely no progress. Scott heard through the grapevine that I was having trouble and he personally volunteered to address my warranty issue and I had a brand new Niner at my doorstep in less than a week. I can't even count on how many of the guys I ride with have cracked their RDO frames or had other (factory) issues and Scott was all over it with superior customer service.

Scott is fanatical and passionate about mtn biking and supporting the sport and his customers/friends.

Those of you that have posted the question on why would you buy a bike from Scott, I can tell you that I would not want to buy from anyone else. I suspect that anyone who has bought a bike from Scott in the past would feel the same. Wrt the question about SwitchBack Bikes, Scott's new venture is Full Disclosure. This might make many of you feel uncomfortable (buying a bike vs "the marketing hype") but he is disclosing all the hidden secrets of the bike industry.

Whether you choose to buy a bike from SwitchBack or not, I would encourage you to support Scott's efforts in anyway you can. He sets a standard in customer service and passion to the sport which everyone in this business should aspire to.

If you choose to buy a bike from Scott, my experience is that he will do everything in his power to ensure you make a good choice and he will support you well beyond anyone I know.

****** to the dirt
    duplicate post sorry
    My Blog

DeForest Stump
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    ^ You got my attention with a FS Niner on Jenson for under $1000. However, the lowest price FS Niner on their site currently is $2099.
    He must have meant just for a frame.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvcrew View Post
    I don't spend anytime on this site

You just happened to sign up and find this thread?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I'm just wondering what differentiates Switchback from other brands. The design looks pretty standard. The one selling point I could imagine would be direct-to-customer sales making it cheaper, but the MSRP isn't really low enough. For instance, the Unveil9 MSRP is $1399. Currently, Bikeman sells the 2013 Kona Satori for $1559. The Switchback is only $160 cheaper. However, they are selling the 2012 Satori for $1000.

So assuming that I was price sensitive and in the market for an AM 29er, I'd be looking for discounted last year's models and would bypass Switchback. I've noticed that Niners seem to get blown out pretty regularly - Jenson is currently selling FS Niners (JET9, WFO9 and RIP9) for under $1000!

It's a really tough market out there for mountain bikes. You really need to do something to distinguish yourself from the pack but that's gonna take genius level engineering because mountain bikes have become pretty refined. The only "innovation" in mountain bike design lately has been 27.5 wheels and short rear/slack front geometry and Surly's mid fat stuff (Krampus, new Instigator). Not really all that revolutionary.
    I can tell you one thing that differentiates Switchbackbikes from other brands/dealers I have dealt with from my own personal experience in dealing with Scott and other dealers for nearly 20 years. My last 5 bikes were purchased from Scott when he owned Hammerhead bikes. He has a very good understanding of the industry and from what I have seen offers one of the best built bikes at the most competitive price. And to further this statement he will work with you to customize your bike more than any other dealer I have ever dealt with. Your bike will show up with the stem length you want, the chainring(s) you want, tires, grips, brakes, etc. You name it he will work with you to get your bike to you RIGHT to start with. I have never had this level of customer focus with any other shop ever. Usually it is buy the bike as is and then purchase additional parts to make the bike the way you want it and then try and sell off the stuff you don’t want. He will go out of his way to make sure you are happy and responds back to inquiries quicker than any other shop I have ever dealt with.
    Never once did he not keep his word even down to ship dates. If he got behind for whatever reason, he paid the extra shipping to keep his word. I have never had a shop get anywhere close to this level of customer service. That is why I have bought 5 bikes from him.
    After I told my friends about Scott and Hammerhead bikes, 6 additional bike sales were made. All through word of mouth. And when unfortunately some of us had warranty issues, the dreaded cracked seat tube on the Jet RDO, Scott was all over it trying to get us back on our bikes as quickly as possible. I emailed him on a Sunday (expecting to be ignored like many shops would do, particularly when out of business) and Scott forwarded my information to Niner that day. 3 days later I had a tracking number with the new frame on the way to my front porch. I had one friend that dealt with the local Niner bikeshop since Hammer Head was out of business and Niner told him that was what he had to do. It took the local shop well over a month to get a new front triangle with the old cable routing to him. My friend had to re-use his rear triangle and shock. He also had to do all the work himself. My frame on the other hand, handled through Scott, was completely replaced with the new revised RDO with the new cable routing, thru axle, etc. Took one week from my initial email to the time I had a new frame on my front porch. Phenomenal, unmatched. Even though he technically was no longer a Niner dealer and had nothing to gain other than doing the right thing, he contacted Niner and got my warranty taken care of better than any other dealer ever could have done.
    Regarding his new bike venture, I would not hesitate to sign on for one of these bikes if I were in the market for one. Scott has done nothing other than to be a man of his word and completely honest in all my dealings with him along with many of my friends. I am currently riding a Jet RDO and Rip RDO that I bought from Scott so I don’t need any more bikes for the time being. The Reveal and Unveil look to be two really nicely equipped bikes with very competitive pricing. Given the 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee, 3 year TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY (try finding that somewhere), Paypal protection (not to mention the credit card you should use), Scotts willingness to work with you to get your bike to you the way you want it, I think you would be foolish to not give Switchback bikes a shot if you are in the market for a new bike.
    I like what Scott is doing by cutting out the middle man and getting us what we want…..a great bike at a great price!!! I really hope that Switchback bikes makes it. The bike industry needs a new approach and can certainly benefit from a person like Scott.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    I see no reason for all the hostility around here. More competition is better for the consumer.

And even if the brand doesn't ultimately take off, worst case scenario this is the mother of all group buys. Close to OEM prices on everything.

Best of luck Scott, I hope you can make this work.
    Great point. Much better than the doubters and naysayers.

jceahodges
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Great point. Much better than the doubters and naysayers.
    I'm one of the other guys (and friends of epiphreddy and hsvcrew) who have bought a bike from Scott when he had Hammerhead. Same experience - none better and especially when compared to the LBS's. My Jet9 RDO broke as well, Scott had already closed HH, so I went to the LBS. That got me a 5 week wait time and just a replacement main frame. I have not doubt that Scott would have scored me an entirely new frameset and 4 weeks quicker. Look, Scott is trying to live the American Dream of owning his own business doing something he loves - that takes guts and I applaud him for it. Not sure what a couple of folks on this thread have against that, but hey, each to his own. If I was in the market for a new bike, I would not hesitate whatsoever to buy one from Scott. I sincerely hope Switchback takes off and Scott makes a good living, but more importantly... has a absolute blast doing it. Go Scott go!

mtbr member
    I don't see it really taking off. Prices aren't good enough to take the risk and the bikes are to generic. Sounds like the crowd funding scheme is due to low capital so what happens if the proto types have a design flaw and crack. How will they cover warranty of them all? A 3 year warranty does you no good if they are out of business.

Also the website could really use some work.

mtbr member
    I would purchase one of theirs before anything from bikes duh rect.

mtbr member
    We have a fellow mountain biker trying to start a business and offering a new product. I would have hoped there would have been more well wishers and less nit picking from this community.

We all know its a tough market. I'm sure the OP knows it as well as any of us.

The bikes seem pretty cool to me. Carbon frames, horst link suspensions, modern geomety, tapered head tube, 12x142 rear dropout spacing, etc. All very viable design elements in todays market.
    WTF else do you want? Some goofy trademarked name for an insignificant design element?

Its hard to come up with something unique these days, but I would say the big boys "uniqueness" is more about marketing than significant engineering innovation.

banned
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=smilinsteve;10874464]WTF else do you want? [QUOTE]

More than a promise that they'll ship me a cheese burger on Tuesday if I'll pay for it today. Dude, the bicycle industry has seen more than its fair share of internet schemes, this is why people raise concerns. Then you have the shills start weighing in as always, business as usual. Its nothing more than a promise in thin air, if you feel so strongly about its success then pony up four thousand dollars and post up a scan of the Paypal receipt.

mtbr member
    One item that someone brought up earlier that Switchback neither confirmed nor denied - are the frames picked from a catalog?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    One item that someone brought up earlier that Switchback neither confirmed nor denied - are the frames picked from a catalog?

Catalog was the take away I got from the blog.

29er | 27.5 | FSR - Switchback Bikes

From the blog:

Off-The-Shelf:1. Time to get down to the business of finding the exact frame you are looking for. This is a really fun process because you get to peek behind the curtain and learn how the Bike Brand business works. You stay up late to view a lot of Bike Porn via Skype! Our Broker would find frames that met our criteria and then send the images to check out. It is really cool seeing what you envisioned several months before staring back at you in a HiRes photo.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=floydlippencott;10874494][QUOTE=smilinsteve;10874464]WTF else do you want?

More than a promise that they'll ship me a cheese burger on Tuesday if I'll pay for it today. Dude, the bicycle industry has seen more than its fair share of internet schemes, this is why people raise concerns. Then you have the shills start weighing in as always, business as usual. Its nothing more than a promise in thin air, if you feel so strongly about its success then pony up four thousand dollars and post up a scan of the Paypal receipt.
    I didn't say I felt strongly either way. I just don't treat people like criminals without cause. If buying from a new company like this is against your better judgement, then I don't blame you. But there is no cause to slander anyone.

banned
    Sep 2010
    No one, has by any stretch or definition, has been slandered. And.... if they cant stand up to some scrutiny then they are surely doomed. Four thousand is a not inconsequential amount of money to float out there on nothing more than a promise. Look what happened with HBC, hundreds, maybe thousands of customers left hanging with no recourse what so ever. Let the shills have at it but there needs to a voice of reason and sanity in this. Too many pie in the sky schemes and to good to be true deals have brought us to this scenario.

mtbr member

It's cool...bring the heat...

Hey...all of this feedback and people's opinions...good and bad...are a good thing IMO.

I understand it isn't a traditional approach and it may scare people off. That's okay.

I have put things in place so nobody gets F'ed over....but I understand the skepticism as well.

Any other suggestions or comments are more than welcome...

Bring The Heat....I Can Take It

Will Switchback bikes make it?-baseballcatcher.jpg

AZ
    banned
    Hey...all of this feedback and people's opinions...good and bad...are a good thing IMO.

I understand it isn't a traditional approach and it may scare people off. That's okay.

I have put things in place so nobody gets F'ed over....but I understand the skepticism as well.

Any other suggestions or comments are more than welcome...

Bring The Heat....I Can Take It

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BaseballCatcher.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	854650

You might consider addressing your reasons for picking the frames that you did on your site, why, what makes them a better choice, why not a single pivot etc. Flesh it out a bit, keeping in mind that not everyone that might consider opting to go this route has a lot of mtb experience and needs a certain amount of hand holding. Give them answers before they know they are questions. Educate them, it creates security. My two cents. Good luck.

mtbr member
    You might consider addressing your reasons for picking the frames that you did on your site, why, what makes them a better choice, why not a single pivot etc. Flesh it out a bit, keeping in mind that not everyone that might consider opting to go this route has a lot of mtb experience and needs a certain amount of hand holding. Give them answers before they know they are questions. Educate them, it creates security. My two cents. Good luck.
    Great suggestion....and you are correct.
    I am actually working on this for a Blog post and will link it to the product pages.

****** to the dirt
    Also you might try working on the website making it more professional. By that I mean putting in structure and put in a good site map. You can use wordpress it is free and easy to use. You want to put your best foot forward since you are asking for money up front. Right now your site looks a little unfinished.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Also you might try working on the website making it more professional. By that I mean putting in structure and put in a good site map. You can use wordpress it is free and easy to use. You want to put your best foot forward since you are asking for money up front. Right now your site looks a little unfinished.
    Another good suggestion....don't really have any experience with Wordpress....will investigate to see if they have some good Templates to start with....any suggestions on that front?

Using Build a Website - SpaceCraft right now....really good company....and they can do custom programming/designing, but I have delayed doing that to keep overhead down...part of the putting things in place so people don't get "F'ed" over if they hand over their $$ and the Brand doesn't make it.

Not spending $10k+ on a pimped out custom site = safety net if the Brand doesn't work or there are unforeseen warranty issues (something similar to the JET9 RDO seat tube cracks)....I have a strong warranty agreement in place w/ the manufacturer, but you can never be too safe....

Also, feel free to e-mail me direct w/ suggestions/ideas [email protected]

****** to the dirt
    Another good suggestion....don't really have any experience with Wordpress....will investigate to see if they have some good Templates to start with....any suggestions on that front?

Using Build a Website - SpaceCraft right now....really good company....and they can do custom programming/designing, but I have delayed doing that to keep overhead down...part of the putting things in place so people don't get "F'ed" over if they hand over their $$ and the Brand doesn't make it.

Not spending $10k+ on a pimped out custom site = safety net if the Brand doesn't work or there are unforeseen warranty issues (something similar to the JET9 RDO seat tube cracks)....I have a strong warranty agreement in place w/ the manufacturer, but you can never be too safe....

Wordpress has tons of templates you can use. It is also very easy to do one self.

WordPress.com - Get a Free Blog Here

It is web based so you can work on it any where. Speak to your web host to see if they have it to upload automatically or if you have to do it manually. There are also a lot of how to vids on youtube.

This guy has tons of them and is pretty good

Tyler Moore - YouTube
    My Blog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    He must have meant just for a frame.
    Yep, I should have made that more clear - I was only talking about the frame itself.

29ers Forever
    Hmmm. Looks interesting, but what is the pricing?
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Wordpress has tons of templates you can use. It is also very easy to do one self.

WordPress.com - Get a Free Blog Here

It is web based so you can work on it any where. Speak to your web host to see if they have it to upload automatically or if you have to do it manually. There are also a lot of how to vids on youtube.

This guy has tons of them and is pretty good

Tyler Moore - YouTube
    Great info....thank you....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Scott,

on the Unveil 9, I'm seeing two frame variances - one with a top tube to seat tube brace/gusset, and one without. Is that a large (gusseted) and medium (not gusseted)?

They do look tempting. Also, do you think you could get some pics of built up bikes on your site?

Thanks and good luck man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Yep, I should have made that more clear - I was only talking about the frame itself.
    Thor29 is spot on....some killer deals out there on previous model year Niner RIP9s & WFOs...2012 Kona Satoris....

When I had the bike shop we were actually an Authorized Online Dealer /top 10 Dealer for Niner....what sank the Bike Shop definitely wasn't our core competency......29ers/online biz....

The RIP9, WFO are stellar riding bikes...Niner is a great company and I am a big fan of Niner and the whole crew over there.

If you are looking for a new frame, these deals are hard to pass up. Here are some links to make it easier for you if interested.
    (Jenson is a great company as well)
    2011 RIP9 Frame
    2011 WFO9 Frame

Kona Satori here (Bikeman is a great outfit too...good peeps over there)
    2012 Satori

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Hmmm. Looks interesting, but what is the pricing?
    Pricing here 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Scott,

on the Unveil 9, I'm seeing two frame variances - one with a top tube to seat tube brace/gusset, and one without. Is that a large (gusseted) and medium (not gusseted)?

They do look tempting. Also, do you think you could get some pics of built up bikes on your site?

Thanks and good luck man!
    Thank you jochribs!

Correct....Small doesn't have the toptube/seattube guessets....Med/Lrg/XL have the gusset.....added that to drop the standover height on the Lrg/XL sizes

Here is a pic of one of the early Unveil9 prototypes....has a XO 10spd build on it....production bikes will be XO1....

Will Switchback bikes make it?-unveil9-complete.jpg

That's why I don't have it on the site yet....waiting for this production run of frames to take studio images of the exact build....XO1, Pike, etc

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good luck on the endeavor, however, not to rain on your parade we can order the same bike on ebay and eat our cheezeburgers now.

29er MTB Frames Full Suspentision Mountain Bike Frames Full Carbon Bicycle Parts | eBay

Ican New 17 5 inch 29er MTB Bicycle Frame Carbon Suspension Mountain Bike Frame | eBay

banned
    Sep 2010
    Those are clearly two different frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Uhmmmmm, nit picky? Absurd? Dude, this is a company that did the Zombie Resurrection out of the ashes of yet another failed company and you think its "nit picky" to question it? It's obvious that you are a shill for the company, maybe even a sock puppet of the owner so you have no credibility. And as a point of order, you have not purchased anything other than a promise. Shades of Iron Horse me thinks. Good luck to you and the bike company but I'll opt out of this one. Oh, its whinning not wining.
    Glad I'm not the only one who notices that Gmonkey most likely = switchback. I'm no linguist, but the writing styles seem awfully similar.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but it seems iffy.

poser Administrator
    Legitimate question: the reveals are a a single pivot but the Unveils use a FSR style pivot. How does this get around Specialized's patents? Or is this a bike that will only be available in countries where that patent doesn't stand?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Legitimate question: the reveals are a a single pivot but the Unveils use a FSR style pivot. How does this get around Specialized's patents? Or is this a bike that will only be available in countries where that patent doesn't stand?
    I thought Specialized's patents in connection to FSR had recently expired? I feel like I read this somewhere online, which also connected to many European frame companies that were 'suddenly' entering the USA market with their FSR-like designs that had been available overseas for ages. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

AZ
    banned
    I believe the patent expired at the end of '11.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazbone View Post
    Good luck on the endeavor, however, not to rain on your parade we can order the same bike on ebay and eat our cheezeburgers now.

29er MTB Frames Full Suspentision Mountain Bike Frames Full Carbon Bicycle Parts | eBay

Ican New 17 5 inch 29er MTB Bicycle Frame Carbon Suspension Mountain Bike Frame | eBay

@lazbone.....I appreciate the effort here, that took a little digging.....however they aren't the same frames and they aren't made by the same company.

Those frames are produced by a company in China that puts them out on the market under a bunch of different manufacturer names.....they all come from the same place, but under different "umbrellas" if you will.

I discuss the "off-the-shelf"/"open-mold" differences here The Pre-Prototype Stage - Switchback Bikes

There is a big difference in that manufacturer and our manufacturer....the manufacturing quality, and most importantly after-the-sell service.

mtbr member
    @rockcrusher - good question. The FSR patent expired April, 2013.

The White Jeff W
    Any concerns about getting a letter from the lawyers at the big S?

Name:  switchback.png
Views: 1094
Size:  74.1 KB Name:  logo_bikes_specialized.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  20.6 KB
    No moss...

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post

Name:  switchback.png
Views: 1094
Size:  74.1 KB Name:  logo_bikes_specialized.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  20.6 KB
    Those look nothing alike.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Those look nothing alike.
    Specialized's legal team has shown a willingness to proactively overreach recently.

poser Administrator
    @rockcrusher - good question. The FSR patent expired April, 2013.
    Thanks, I had wondered about that. Considering their proclivity towards litigation I assumed you had already determined such just as you show 2 different methods of suspending the bike on your website I was wondering if you had the american market then the rest of the world market allocated or just using 2 different modes of suspension.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad I'm not the only one who notices that Gmonkey most likely = switchback. I'm no linguist, but the writing styles seem awfully similar.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but it seems iffy.
    -lazbone- Nope not affiliated with Switchback bikes at all. Yes I have sent money to Scott to order my bike. You're right, you are not a linguist so apparently it's just slander.

Here is how I look at it, I'm pretty much buying the group and getting a frame. It's a great deal to me and that's all that matters. I also have now reservation the frame will preform well, as it's a proven design and it's rider not the bike.

I wish Scott the best and I do like how he is going about setting up his business.

I see why some would be skeptical and that's fine. I have safe guards in place to protect myself on purchases like this.

lazbone you can think what you want I'm not going to change your opinion, but you have made some wild accusations and you should be called out for them. The bike frame you show and state is the same thing you can buy on ebay is in no way the same frame. It takes all but two seconds to see that. I think you just like the attention.

Have a great day

mtbr member
    Thanks, I had wondered about that. Considering their proclivity towards litigation I assumed you had already determined such just as you show 2 different methods of suspending the bike on your website I was wondering if you had the american market then the rest of the world market allocated or just using 2 different modes of suspension.
    Yeah, they certainly do......

I am working on a Blog post to go in to more detail about the 2 different suspension platforms....but the quick answer:

The Reveal frames (the carbon single-pivot) are the best available option we found for Carbon FS frames from the Manufacturers in Taiwan. We have seen a lot of frames live to check QC & field tested frames to check ride qualities/characteristics. The Reveal frames came out on top.

The Unveil frames (the alloy horst-link) are the best available option we found for those type frames.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    They are not similar logos.

The only concern I can force on myself is just what every other bike company, bike shop, or bike rider should be concerned about from them.

That they have a propensity to file completely unwarranted lawsuits to try to bully people around, just like we have all seen most recently w/ Cafe Roubaix & EPIX.....

mtbr member
    Subbing

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    @lazbone.....I appreciate the effort here, that took a little digging.....however they aren't the same frames and they aren't made by the same company.

Those frames are produced by a company in China that puts them out on the market under a bunch of different manufacturer names.....they all come from the same place, but under different "umbrellas" if you will.

I discuss the "off-the-shelf"/"open-mold" differences here The Pre-Prototype Stage - Switchback Bikes

There is a big difference in that manufacturer and our manufacturer....the manufacturing quality, and most importantly after-the-sell service.
    fwiw--- I didn't do any digging. It was already posted up over in the Cheap Chinese Frame thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/du...737952-39.html

You just may want to hop over there and clarify.

mtbr member
    fwiw--- I didn't do any digging. It was already posted up over in the Cheap Chinese Frame thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/du...737952-39.html

You just may want to hop over there and clarify.
    I gotcha....thanks for the heads up...really appreciate it....will clarify

mtbr member

29er Steel HT | Made In USA vs. Taiwan

Posted a glimpse of a future model we hope to introduce in 2014 on our FB Page and putting the decision in your hands.

Your votes will decide whether this model is Made In The USA or Taiwan

Will Switchback bikes make it?-jedeye9-rightsidelogo.jpg

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Received an email that SB bikes has met their first manufacturer's minimum order. So glad that Scott is up and running. The bike industry needs more people like him!

mtbr member
    Received an email that SB bikes has met their first manufacturer's minimum order. So glad that Scott is up and running. The bike industry needs more people like him!
    Thank you! Very excited to bring the Reveal frames to market 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

A huge thank you to everyone that is helping us pioneer the Switchback Bikes Brand

Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I understand some people's concern about new companies, especially ones that utilize unconventional methods, but this is not the 1800s anymore. Crowd sourcing is becoming a common method for small business startups, and I think that all of us already know that giant box store corporations are not the way. Sure, not all new businesses make it but this model assures that orders (and thus money) a made before there are any large cash layouts. Without any real overhead or large initial investment, there is little reason to fail.
    Take Jay Levinthal as an example. He started Line skis and was very sucessful, eventually cashing in by selling out to K2. He jumped ship recently to bring his creative inspiration to market more quickly by starting a new company. His new venture, called J Skis, driven by preorders of limmited run skis produced under contract by a shop in Canada.
    Low overhead and little investment means the company essentially is ahead of the breakeven point as soon as preorders meet manufacturing minimums. By selling direct he cuts out the middlemen and can offer lower prices for better quality skis. Sounds pretty cool to me.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Wow! How many shills does this thread need? The sheer number of them in this one makes a bikes direct thread look legit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My dealings with Scott were always stellar. I wish him the best of luck!!!

banned
    Sep 2010
    My dealings with Scott were always stellar. I wish him the best of luck!!!

Maybe you should have opened another sock puppet account to post that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Floydlippencotterrehatchamawhatever, sorry no sock puppet here, just a real live person from all the way across the country. What should really surprize everyone are the number if posts that you put up on this thread. Maybe try riding a bike or something. I hear that increases happiness. Good luck with that (although I feel certain that you will feel the need to post several more times your disbelief that several other people can really think for themselves and may actually disagree with you). Until then...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Maybe you should have opened another sock puppet account to post that.
    floyddippedinshit, believe it or not but there are successful bike entrepreneurs in the industry that have start-ups that succeed based on great ideas, ingenuity, hard work, and proven integrity. Clearly something your negative pea sized brain can't comprehend.

mtbr member
    The unveil 9 looks sick! And the warranty is perfect for people like me that beat their gear up on a regular basis. Definitely a choice for hard riders.

banned
    Jan 2014
    Does someone need a nap?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great perspective....unconventional methods scare some people, that's for sure.

#1 factor in success or failure of a biz, IMO, OVERHEAD. You can Gross $100M/Year, but are you actually making money? Overhead determines that....

mtbr member
    I have also had positive dealings with Scott. I was looking to buy one of the Hammerhead Thumper/130 X frames. They are the same as the Unveil 9. I didn't actually get the frame from him as I was able to get a better deal from an old Hammerhead distributor who still had stock. He encouraged me to take the better deal, and he will still offer the full warranty. The frame arrived Monday. I am taking it for a nice rocky East Coast shakedown ride tonight. I can't wait.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I have also had positive dealings with Scott. I was looking to buy one of the Hammerhead Thumper/130 X frames. They are the same as the Unveil 9. I didn't actually get the frame from him as I was able to get a better deal from an old Hammerhead distributor who still had stock. He encouraged me to take the better deal, and he will still offer the full warranty. The frame arrived Monday. I am taking it for a nice rocky East Coast shakedown ride tonight. I can't wait.
    Heck yeah! Glad that worked out for you....the HH Thumper/130x frames are the same frame as the Switchback Unveil9. They are made by the same manufacturer and they agreed to let Switchback handle any potential warranty conflicts if needed.

This is the Blk/Blue version Switchback Unveil9 we are working on getting to production
    Will Switchback bikes make it?-unveil9-final-med.jpg

This is the Black Ano Version
    Will Switchback bikes make it?-unveil9_final1.jpg
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 02-14-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: accidentally duplicated a file

banned
    Sep 2012
    Seems like a good guy to me.. good luck and keep at it, Scott!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Seems like a good guy to me.. good luck and keep at it, Scott!
    Couldn't agree more. How many other dealers would tell you to buy from the other dealer (to save you money) and then offer to still cover the warranty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi Guys,

Jack Mclean here from Granary Cycles UK, the distributor from Switchback.

Scott notified me about this topic so thought I would chip in, in case there is any EU members on here looking for info.

I can only agree with the people on here about Scott, he's a great guy and very honest. Not met in person yet but had many discussions with him for months now.

We are hoping to have our first set of bikes thorough soon and I am very excited about these and the whole project, compared to the UK market these are very well priced for their spec, the big brands such as Santa Cruz, Yeti, Specialized etc don't come close. Warranty is brilliant, no other word for it!

There will always be people who wont like the brand, bikes or what ever but that's the same with everything, you can't please everyone. Even if we get a small margin, it's a start.

Hopefully those who have bought a bike or frame will enjoy it and come back again.
    If there is any members interested who are from Europe drop me a message and I will take care of it.

I will keep an eye on this thread .

Thanks
    Jack

mtbr member
    Thanks Jack! Pumped to have you on board...pretty wild really...having distributors set up in The UK, EUR, NZ/AUS, & South Africa is beyond what I dreamt up when deciding to start-up a Bike Brand
    Its really cool to see something start in your head/heart and watch it come alive globally.

29er | 27.5 | FSR - Switchback Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For all the "experts" in this thread
    The manufacturer that produced the Hammerhead frames, now the Switchback Unveil9 frame, manufactures all of Kona's Mountain Bikes as well.

In fact, the front triangle of the Kona Satori and Hammerhead/Switchback front triangle is the exact same front triangle....I remember seeing this review on the "Thumper" First Rides: Hammerhead’s Hard-Charging Thumper Trail Bike and people discovering they are the same frames except the HH/SB frame gets the FSR/Horst-Link treatment

A bunch of great reviews on the Kona Satori out there...….think about how great the Switchback frame/bike will ride w/ an Horst link suspension design!

Trail Test: Kona Satori | Bicycling Australia

Kona Satori – First ride review - BikeRadar

Kona Satori - First ride and video review - BikeRadar

Kona Satori 29er Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com

Kona Satori: Final Review

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have been dealing with Scott since early 2011, and being based in South Africa he has always gone out of his way to help me source parts and frames even if he didn't stock them that weren't available here. Over the years I must have now bought and shipped 6 bikes, helmets and other parts without ever having a problem. It was very sad when I found out about his shop having to close as over the years we have become good friends, we have had many late night/early morning conversations not only about bikes and the industry but life and family. I look forward to the day I meet him in person.

When Scott approached me about switchback bikes and his business plan I never thought twice about throwing some pennies towards it and look forward continuing our friendship and now working together to try make the brand a success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngala24 View Post
    I have been dealing with Scott since early 2011, and being based in South Africa he has always gone out of his way to help me source parts and frames even if he didn't stock them that weren't available here. Over the years I must have now bought and shipped 6 bikes, helmets and other parts without ever having a problem. It was very sad when I found out about his shop having to close as over the years we have become good friends, we have had many late night/early morning conversations not only about bikes and the industry but life and family. I look forward to the day I meet him in person.

When Scott approached me about switchback bikes and his business plan I never thought twice about throwing some pennies towards it and look forward continuing our friendship and now working together to try make the brand a success.
    This is what is so awesome about our MTB world....we are all tied to this thing we all love. I mean seriously....Tulsa frickin' Oklahoma to South Africa, to New Zealand, to The UK & Europe.....
    It's not what you do it's WHY you do it Start With Why

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Been a while since I was last on here.

It was random how me and Scott got together, just a basic deal for some frames which lead to us discussing a brand, then distribution, now here we are.

This is my first venture as the major dealer/distributor role and really looking forward to it. I have been offered similar positions in the past but things just did not feel right. With Switchback I am confident of the product, price, quality and kit. Having an owner like Scott sealed the deal. He wasn't some company boss sat in the office with employees running around and no interest in the sport at all (It happens, a lot!).
    He is down to earth and is in touch with the market/sport.

Thanks for everyone wishing us luck, really appreciate it. Hopefully you will see a lot more of us around

The Fastest of Bananas
    There are some haters in this thread.

I'd buy one. They look like a very well made horst link frame with tons of modern features.

and for the haters, bump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    There are some haters in this thread.

I'd buy one. They look like a very well made horst link frame with tons of modern features.

and for the haters, bump.
    Thanks @fastbanana

mtbr member

Recipe Book

Also....

Working on an eBook that will show a Recipe for starting a Bike Brand.

Best way to provide all necessary info for the recipe - ask people what they would like to know. Post any questions and/or comments about what it takes to start a Bike Brand HERE

This is going to be a lot of fun! Thanks, Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will Switchback bikes make it?-spacecrafthomepagebackground1.jpg  

Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 02-03-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: accidentally uploaded image twice

banned
    Jan 2014

I got a similar email. Not just one, but a few of them. I sorta wondered how I made the mailing list, too.

These bikes seem like a good bargain. I will say that I prefer the linkage driven single pivot for a lot of my riding over the FSR, after converting one of my Turners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwothree View Post
    I got a similar email. Not just one, but a few of them. I sorta wondered how I made the mailing list, too.

These bikes seem like a good bargain. I will say that I prefer the linkage driven single pivot for a lot of my riding over the FSR, after converting one of my Turners.
    The placement of the main pivot has more to do with the ride than whether it has a horst link or not. FSR suspension has a lot more anti squat than it did a few years ago, even though it would be hard to notice just by looking at the bikes. A small adjustment in pivot placement can make a big difference.

mtbr member

How people got on our e-mail list

@onetwothree
    The e-mail list is from the Bike Shop, everyone on the list signed up for the list. My guess is you signed up via one of the Giveaways we did (Enve wheels, AIR9 RDO frame, etc).
    We advertised the Giveaways on MTBR and some other outlets and set up a product page on the eComm site where people could purchase the Giveaway item for $0.00 and that's how they entered the contest/joined the list. We drew names from the list and picked a winner. Made several people very Happy campers

Will Switchback bikes make it?-julyenvegiveaway.jpg

We send out updates/info on the start-up of the Switchback Bike Brand every couple of weeks. If anyone would like to stop receiving there is a simple/painless Unsubscribe button on the bottom of the e-mails.

Thanks guys and look forward to answering any other questions you may have

Scott

banned
    Jan 2014
    @onetwothree
    The e-mail list is from the Bike Shop, everyone on the list signed up for the list. My guess is you signed up via one of the Giveaways we did (Enve wheels, AIR9 RDO frame, etc).
    We advertised the Giveaways on MTBR and some other outlets and set up a product page on the eComm site where people could purchase the Giveaway item for $0.00 and that's how they entered the contest/joined the list. We drew names from the list and picked a winner. Made several people very Happy campers

Name:	JulyEnveGiveaway.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	867223

We send out updates/info on the start-up of the Switchback Bike Brand every couple of weeks. If anyone would like to stop receiving there is a simple/painless Unsubscribe button on the bottom of the e-mails.

Thanks guys and look forward to answering any other questions you may have

Scott
    Nope, I don't do giveaways.

Thanks for your comments, Steve. Like I said, I have identical bikes, one with Horst Link and the other with "Faux-bar." I prefer the faux-bar.

mtbr member
    Nope, I don't do giveaways.

Thanks for your comments, Steve. Like I said, I have identical bikes, one with Horst Link and the other with "Faux-bar." I prefer the faux-bar.
    I don't doubt it one bit. But I don't think your experience with those 2 bikes can be extrapolated to a generalization about the 2 designs. Depending on the pivot placement, shock tuning, shock rate and a bunch of other stuff, you could have a bike of either of those designs, that will work the way you want it to.

banned
    Jan 2014
    You have a point, although IMO, there are certain characteristics that can be enhanced more than others. It really depends on the rider preference and their understanding of the various designs. Switchback bikes makes point to use FSR as part of their marketing strategy, though. I just think it's interesting.

27.5 Full-Suspension | 150mm Travel | FSR Suspension | Alloy Frame - Switchback Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Wow! How many shills does this thread need? The sheer number of them in this one makes a bikes direct thread look legit.
    Over 13,000 new "likes" in one day.
    The distributor from Istanbul (with 2 previous posts)
    is about to chime in!
    And explain just how he got this company
    to go Viral throughout the 25-34
    demographic in Turkey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will Switchback bikes make it?-switchback.jpg  

banned
    Jan 2014
    Scott makes a nice alternative if you are looking to compare suspension designs.

Mountain - SCOTT Sports

Good luck! It's a tough market, especially since it has obviously flattened out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This is a fishy pdf document. It's obviously written by the President Scott Robertson in which he writes in 3rd person and quotes himself???

It's somehow supposed to convince us that there was an official international influenced name change from Hammerhead.

I remember seeing a bikerumor.com article that Scott is quoted with a contrary statement.

"Scott reiterated that Switchback has no relation to Hammerhead, it’s a completely new company. His approach helps him stay in control and not at the mercy of outside capital. "
    Switchback Bikes Launching Monday, Invites You Along for the Startup Ride

Scott, you need to pick a story and stick to it. It appears as your trying to deceive people into giving you their money. Fake users accounts? 13,000 fake facebook likes?

For the sake of the people that have already given you their hard earned money I truly hope I eat crow in this post.

Heck yeah...e reset button and add the Carbon frame offerings!

Here is the Thumper frame
    Attachment 862835

This is the Blk/Blue version Switchback Unveil9 we are working on getting to production

Name:	Unveil9-Final-Med.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	862837

This is the Black Ano Version

Name:	Unveil9_Final1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	862844

mtbr member
    This is a fishy pdf document. It's obviously written by the President Scott Robertson in which he writes in 3rd person and quotes himself???

It's somehow supposed to convince us that there was an official international influenced name change from Hammerhead.

I remember seeing a bikerumor.com article that Scott is quoted with a contrary statement.

"Scott reiterated that Switchback has no relation to Hammerhead, it’s a completely new company. His approach helps him stay in control and not at the mercy of outside capital. "
    Switchback Bikes Launching Monday, Invites You Along for the Startup Ride

Scott, you need to pick a story and stick to it. It appears as your trying to deceive people into giving you their money. Fake users accounts? 13,000 fake facebook likes?

For the sake of the people that have already given you their hard earned money I truly hope I eat crow in this post.

What is a fishy pdf document?

And I agree that 13,000 likes in one day seems fishy, but how do you fake "likes"? I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of creating 13000 new Facebook accounts just to click a like on each one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What seems fishy to me is that over 1/2 of Lazbone's posts are are to bash Switchback bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Look at the post from which I quoted from. Switchback attached a pdf.

Not sure how you fake likes. Maybe a company like this? https://boostlikes.com/facebook-likes

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What is a fishy pdf document?

And I agree that 13,000 likes in one day seems fishy, but how do you fake "likes"? I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of creating 13000 new Facebook accounts just to click a like on each one.

mtbr member

Fishy

Hey guys....I don't know how I didn't get an e-mail notice on @th.eddie's post.
    Yes, something fishy did happen with the Facebook Likes. I was working w/ a company via https://www.elance.com/?r that was helping me with the website design and discussing Social Strategies.
    They took it upon themselves to boost the # of FB Likes & Twitter Followers, I didn't authorize it and that relationship has been severed. We had around 3,500 legit Likes and 250 legit Followers before that happened. We built those up in large part because of 29er | 27.5 | Giveaway - Switchback Bikes
    That # jumped to 15,000 & 5,000 in 24-hours. Talk about SPAM notices in your mailbox saying you have new Likes/Followers...good lord!
    I have been going through and deleting Likes, but honestly after deleting about 1,500 FB Likes I have lost me patience with it.....so, as our Likes/Followers grow w/ more legit Likes/Followers if seeing the big # really gives you pause....just deduct 10,000/4,750

Thanks, Scott
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 02-15-2014 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member

"Recipe For Starting A Bike Brand"

Hey....a lot of these questions and concerns are awesome for a project I am working on. A "Recipe For Starting A Bike Brand"
    I posted an initial Blog post about it a few days ago, feel free to chime in if there are things you can think of that you haven't seen here that you are interested in finding out. 29er | 27.5 | Full Suspension - Switchback Bikes

Also, here is a link for a really great article from INC Magazine called "The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship". A lot of information in there about some of the realities of owning your own business The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship | Inc. 5000

I plan to incorporate some of those realities in the "Recipe For Starting A Bike Brand"

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Anyone needing to register their Hammerhead Thumper, or Switchback frame to be eligible for the 3-year transferable warranty can do so here
    Warranty - Switchback Bikes

mtbr member
    Wicked good 650b origins research Blog Post by new SB Blogger Adam Hunt!

26” Are Dead, Long Live 26” - Switchback Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I didn't sign up for mtbr to bash people. I generally have good intuition when someone is being dishonest.

For instance. He completely avoided being caught in a lie. There's the PDF that scott had attached twice in this thread. Which of course he has since edited both posts and removed. If you read it he states he officially changed his name from hammerhead to Sb. That document was obviously written by himself. However, he was also quoted from bikerumor to the contrary.

You would be naive to give your money to this guy. I'm going to inquire to the admins to check the ip's of the people posting in this thread.

Creating fake user accounts to pat yourself on the back to increase your sales absolute fraud. In addition he creates a story about how he mistakenly got 13k facebook likes. I've experienced people like this before. Playing dumb is one method to back out of a lie.

What seems fishy to me is that over 1/2 of Lazbone's posts are are to bash Switchback bikes.

mtbr member

The Reveal Frames Are Almost Sold Out!

Excited to announce that the 1st production run of Reveal9 and Reveal7 frames is almost sold out! A huge thank you to everyone getting behind the Brand and helping us Launch!

Current ready to ship time, from Taiwan, is End of March.

I will honor the pre-selling price on the frames to anyone interested:
    Reveal9 - $1,799
    Available: 1 - Med, 2 Lrg
    Will Switchback bikes make it?-reveal9-allblk-logo.jpg
    29er | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

Reveal7 - $1,799
    Available: 2 - Med
    Will Switchback bikes make it?-reveal7-allblk-logo.jpg
    27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

If interested in pre-sell price on frame/fork package or complete bike...hit me direct

Thanks, Scott

Oh...great Blog post by Adam Hunt is live on the Blog
    "Punk Attitude & Mountain Bikes"

DFMBA.org

Check out Squarespace.com too
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Thank you, will check it

mtbr member
    duplicate post
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 02-25-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted twice

mtbr member
    Great thread going on here http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/tw...ad-899817.html on the Thumper frames. Lots of great feedback/reviews for you to check out if you are curious about the frames and how they ride

Will Switchback bikes make it?-thumper_grey.jpg

mtbr member

Part way up National trail

Will Switchback bikes make it?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Ride #2 this Saturday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TwoNin9r; 03-06-2014 at 07:50 PM.

boomer
    My buddy & his 130x will be in Sedona with me & my bro next weekend; I'll post some pics when we ride there.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	874931
    Sweet!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin View Post
    My buddy & his 130x will be in Sedona with me & my bro next weekend; I'll post some pics when we ride there.
    Awesome! Hopefully y'all will rocking new PIKEs out there! On the way here so we may just squeak deadline to get you dialed in time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion....new site is now live!!

Big improvement, IMO

mtbr member
    If the amount of fun I had on my thumper (final tweaks made before today's ride) is any indicator of how well this company will do, consider me a brand loyalist. Price is right, fun factor is wayyyyy too high!

DeForest Stump

They're gonna make it after all (tosses hat into air)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobretti View Post
    they're gonna make it after all (tosses hat into air)
    lol

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey guys....I don't know how I didn't get an e-mail notice on @th.eddie's post.
    Yes, something fishy did happen with the Facebook Likes. I was working w/ a company via https://www.elance.com/?r that was helping me with the website design and discussing Social Strategies.
    They took it upon themselves to boost the # of FB Likes & Twitter Followers, I didn't authorize it and that relationship has been severed. We had around 3,500 legit Likes and 250 legit Followers before that happened. We built those up in large part because of 29er | 27.5 | Giveaway - Switchback Bikes
    That # jumped to 15,000 & 5,000 in 24-hours. Talk about SPAM notices in your mailbox saying you have new Likes/Followers...good lord!
    I have been going through and deleting Likes, but honestly after deleting about 1,500 FB Likes I have lost me patience with it.....so, as our Likes/Followers grow w/ more legit Likes/Followers if seeing the big # really gives you pause....just deduct 10,000/4,750

Thanks, Scott
    Glad things are going well.

My guess is that a dollar amount was paid for the likes. I'm quite surprised they wouldn't have notified you about this. Unfortunately, the likes will probably hurt your Facebook status.

Facebook Fraud - YouTube

mtbr member
    Glad things are going well.

My guess is that a dollar amount was paid for the likes. I'm quite surprised they wouldn't have notified you about this. Unfortunately, the likes will probably hurt your Facebook status.

Facebook Fraud - YouTube
    Thanks @bank5

I was paying the firm for other services...I did not authorize or pay for FB Likes & Twitter followers. I filed a Dispute on 2/1/14, it is still an open case. I have personally been removing the Fake Likes little by little in the meantime....they are down to 12,849 from 15,000+

If the Dispute keeps dragging on I may hire someone from Elance to task on removing all those Fake Likes (had 4,000 legit Likes prior). I don't know if that's even possible, but may be looking into it soon.

Thanks for sharing the video.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    New site looks awesome!!!!

mtbr member
    Hell yeah. And check out the future plans!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Hell yeah. And check out the future plans!

Thanks for the compliments guys...means alot. Here is the link to the Future Plans @TwoNin9r is referring to

Future Projects ? 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

Thanks, Scott

29ers Forever
    So is the Thumper continuously going to be made, or is there going to be the Unveil9 when you run out of stock?
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member

Thumper to Unveil9

So is the Thumper continuously going to be made, or is there going to be the Unveil9 when you run out of stock?
    Good question.....once the Thumper frames have sold-through they will turn into the Unveil9.

Will Switchback bikes make it?-switchback_unveil9_v1.jpg
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 03-14-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: forgot to add hyperlink

mtbr member

Place Prototype Order

About to place the order for the Unveil7 prototype frames! Have 2 Larges unspoken for....anyone want "IN" as a "field-tester" Special Price For You, Almost Free

Unveil7 ? 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

Will Switchback bikes make it?-dsc_0201.jpg

29ers Forever
    About to place the order for the Unveil7 prototype frames! Have 2 Larges unspoken for....anyone want "IN" as a "field-tester" Special Price For You, Almost Free

Name:	DSC_0201.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	877606
    What are the prices?
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member

Re: Will Switchback bikes make it?

Name:	DSC_0201.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	877606
    Tax return is coming in... Haha

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    What are the prices?
    Hit me up at [email protected] or fire over an IM....price will be our Landed Cost....

mtbr member
    Tax return is coming in... Haha

Posted via mobile
    BIG MONEY BIG MONEY.....come on Uncle Sam!!

boomer
    Will Switchback bikes make it?-image.jpgHere's my buddy and his 130x on the Black Canyon Trails north of Phoenix. If anyone is wondering about the viability of the bike itself then 3.5 days in Sedona followed by this trail proves it can handle a beating. Other than bending a rotor the bike held up 100% and handled all the steep & gnarly terrain those places offer; we rode some of the most rugged trails available there.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    What fork is he running? Can't see on my phone. Nice though!

Posted via mobile

boomer
    What fork is he running? Can't see on my phone. Nice though!

Posted via mobile
    RockShox Revelation
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Ah same. Is he running 140? I'm 130 f/r and am toying with extending to 140 just to feel it out

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

Facebook issue fixed

Quote Originally Posted by th.eddie View Post
    Over 13,000 new "likes" in one day.
    The distributor from Istanbul (with 2 previous posts)
    is about to chime in!
    And explain just how he got this company
    to go Viral throughout the 25-34
    demographic in Turkey.
    Got all the Fake Likes Removed....Turkey (and other suspect countries) banned....FB likes went from 21,000....now at 7,600....all 7,600 are Real Likes.

https://www.facebook.com/Switchbackbikes?ref=hl

Will Switchback bikes make it?-fb-restrictedcountries.jpg
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 03-17-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers

boomer
    Ah same. Is he running 140? I'm 130 f/r and am toying with extending to 140 just to feel it out

Posted via mobile
    It says 140mm but it measures 130mm; seems to work well for him. Dude climbs like a scalded monkey.
    Calvin

mtbr member

It says 140mm but it measures 130mm; seems to work well for him. Dude climbs like a scalded monkey.
    Haha. That's funny. I'm going to measure my actual travel as well. I know my 140 came shimmed to 130 but I'm not having much trouble climbing, so I might try letting it out all the way. Gotta get some good photos if this thing before I start digging it up pushing my limits. This bike turned me into a bit of a jumper :-)

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    I am running a 150 on mine. So far so good. The snow is making a proper ride very difficult to come by. As soon as a I get a solid ride on some chunky technical trails I will post up. These are the type of trails where you earn your downhill. I should have a solid report. Hopefully this weekend if the damn snow melts.

mtbr member
    FINALLY!! I finally got a solid ride on a very rocky local loop. I was having too much fun riding. I am very impressed with this bike so far. I had three Strava PR's on the ride, and two were going up hill. I cleaned two technical uphill sections that I have never cleared. On was a 12" step-up that just after a hard left about half way up a fairly long climb. I usually don't have the gas to get up and over this. Cleared it no problem. The second was a technical rocky root filled up hill. It's the type of climb that if you put a foot down you will be hiking a bit to find a spot where you can actually ride again. I got tangled up early on, but I was able to clean the whole second half of it. One section in particular I have never been able to ride up. Overall I was really happy with the way the bike climbed. I was up out of the saddle a few times on climbs, and it handled it well. No excessive bobbing. I had the for in descend mode and the shock in trail. This is the type of trail where the best and most fun line is sometimes up and over the big rock. The bike is very confidence inspiring. I was having fun bombing over boulders. Most of the time I was able to ride the back side down to the trail again. I ended up doing a 2-3 foot drop off the back of on of the boulders. By the time I realized that was my only option I decided to lift the front end up and go for it. The bike handled it like a champ. I am also very happy with how easy it is to get the front end up considering the overall weight of the bike. With my new wheels (Flow Ex laced to Hope Pro 2) it sits at about 30.5 lbs. Going downhill this bike shines. Within reason you can pretty much pick any line you want. You point it down and hang on for the ride. I can't wait to get more miles in on this bike. Maybe I will even stop long enough to take some good pics.

mtbr member
    I hope they make it because I'm really enjoying my Thumper. I'm still working my way back after shoulder surgery but I did hit a few drops on my way down National trail this morning. What a blast --both up and down the Thumper is a nice ride. I did bottom the rear suspension over one drop (only about a 2' drop but you hit it going down a spine and the landing is slightly uphill) so I will have to put a bit more air in the shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I did bottom the rear suspension over one drop (only about a 2' drop but you hit it going down a spine and the landing is slightly uphill) so I will have to put a bit more air in the shock.
    Landing was slightly down. It didn't bottom out. The o-ring on the shock isn't at the bottom of the shaft. It's a little less than half an inch from the bottom.

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Landing was slightly down. It didn't bottom out. The o-ring on the shock isn't at the bottom of the shaft. It's a little less than half an inch from the bottom.
    That's where my buddies ended up after every ride in Sedona, to quote Martha "that's a good thing". If you're at the limit in Sedona you're doing it just right; I'd hate to bottom out on those ledgey A$$ trails!
    Calvin

mtbr member
    A couple new Thumper owners are in the process of installing Coil shocks on their Thumper....I personally haven't ridden one with Coil installed....looking forward to ride reports on that set up....

The Fastest of Bananas

A couple new Thumper owners are in the process of installing Coil shocks on their Thumper....I personally haven't ridden one with Coil installed....looking forward to ride reports on that set up....
    Whats the longest fork you recommend for a Thumper? I would consider this frame if it would handle a 150mm pike.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Whats the longest fork you recommend for a Thumper? I would consider this frame if it would handle a 150mm pike.

150mm Pike is good to go on the Thumper....I believe @captain_america1976 is running a 150mm Pike on his? He may be able to post his impressions?

I am working on getting a Cane Creek Double Barrel CS shock for mine...pair it up with a Pike on the front....should be pretty badass

The Fastest of Bananas

150mm Pike is good to go on the Thumper....I believe @captain_america1976 is running a 150mm Pike on his? He may be able to post his impressions?

I am working on getting a Cane Creek Double Barrel CS shock for mine...pair it up with a Pike on the front....should be pretty badass
    Sweet, thanks for the quick response. Im looking for a bike that will compare to the Specialized Enduro, but isnt going to cost me a fortune.

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks for the quick response. Im looking for a bike that will compare to the Specialized Enduro, but isnt going to cost me a fortune.

Brining your iPad with you while getting your Car oil changed is key to quick responses

Good info....I personally haven't ridden the new Enduro29....I believe there are a couple new Thumper owners that have ridden both...maybe they will see this and chime in

boomer

I've ridden both the Thumper and the zoot S-Works Enduro so I may be of some help here. First and foremost...how much are you wanting to spend? The S-Works Enduro all in is a big ol' wad of cash but wow what a ride. If you're uber loaded then yes by all means go for it. If you want a ride that's reliable, will ride anything up or down, but doesn't have that price tag then by all means go for the Thumper. The CTD shock along w/the horst link pivot make the Thumper a super nice ride. I know several people that have the Thumper as their #1 ride and ride everything that's thrown at them. If you're riding technical trails its a great ride in the descend position, if you're riding buff trails then move it to the trail mode, if you're riding to the trail put it in climb and lock it out. If you're climbing technical routes leave it in the open position, stay seated, and it'll claw its way up a brick wall. If you'd like more detail or have any questions DM me and we can chat about what it is exactly you're looking for.
    Calvin

The Fastest of Bananas
    Thanks for the input! I currently have a horst link bike (Titus FTM) with a pushed RP23, and its awesome. But not quite enough bike for me.

Will the Thumper continue to be made, or are you just clearing old stock?

mtbr member

Thanks for the input! I currently have a horst link bike (Titus FTM) with a pushed RP23, and its awesome. But not quite enough bike for me.

I believe it will be made under the switchback brand as the "unveil 9"

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

I believe it will be made under the switchback brand as the "unveil 9"

Posted via mobile
    So, get the frame now while its on sale?

mtbr member

So, get the frame now while its on sale?

I highly suggest it. I ride this bike now over my 22lb carbon ht. Every time. Noting but smiles.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

Oh! Great info....actually....the Titus Moto-Lite/FTM was part of the inspiration for the Thumper frame....backstory here Hammerhead Thumper Frame ? 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

@TwoNin9r is correct
    Once remaining Thumper inventory has sold-through...it will become the Unveil9 Unveil9 ? 29er | 27.5 | Full-Suspension - Switchback Bikes

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    I am running a Fox 34 150. The fork frame combo is great. It's an absolute beast going down hill, and it climbs great too.

mtbr member

130x Frames - $899

The Hammerhead 130x (the updated graphics/name change from Thumper) frames are still in Taiwan.

If I can get them here and offer a sale price of $899, would that be enticing price?

White Painted
    Black Anodized

Will Switchback bikes make it?-130xblk1.jpgWill Switchback bikes make it?-130xblk2.jpgWill Switchback bikes make it?-130x-blkcomplete.jpgWill Switchback bikes make it?-130x-whtcomplete-1-.jpgWill Switchback bikes make it?-130x-whtfinal1.jpgWill Switchback bikes make it?-130x-whtfinal2.jpg

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    The black anodized looks killer!

The Fastest of Bananas

The Hammerhead 130x (the updated graphics/name change from Thumper) frames are still in Taiwan.

If I can get them here and offer a sale price of $899, would that be enticing price?

White Painted
    Black Anodized

Name:	130xBlk1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	879649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130xBlk2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	879650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130x-BlkComplete.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	879651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130x-WhtComplete (1).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	879652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130x-WhtFinal1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	879653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130x-WhtFinal2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	879654

Thanks, Scott
    Black ano, very yes!

I like ano over painted any day of the week, paint is too fragile. And its stealthy

mtbr member
    Oh black anno... My fiancé is gonna kill me when my unveil 7 magically appears... oops! I must have ordered it by mistake! Welp, no sense in sending it back now...

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twonin9r View Post
    oh black anno... My fiancé is gonna kill me when my unveil 7 magically appears... Oops! I must have ordered it by mistake! Welp, no sense in sending it back now...

Posted via mobile
    lol!

mtbr member

Brand New Brake From SRAM - The Guide Trail Brakes!

Thank god the official PR is out about these Brakes....been killing me keeping it confidential

SRAM Leads the way to Better Braking with new Guide Trail Brakes

mtbr member
    Rotors look sweet

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

PAID SPAM: XT Complete Bike - $2,799!

mtbr member
    Wow!

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas
    Kinda short fork, no?

mtbr member

It's internally adjustable to 140mm
    I am running my fork in the 120mm settings....does killer on our local trails
    I bump it to 140mm when I hit the MTNs....I am working on getting a PIKE 2-position fork....150mm-120mm on the fly adjustment....hell yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boomer
    For those interested, I spoke with a local pro racer that dominated his class this year on the state level and is currently a mechanic for a Big S shop about the 130X today. He said that if he didn't have a ride from Big S he'd be rocking the Hammerhead frame. He currently races a Stumpjumper (our trails are chunky) and said the ride was equivalent and the only difference in the ride was about 1/2 lb. You know who I'm talking about Scott but I don't think it'd be fair to mention his name here.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    For those interested, I spoke with a local pro racer that dominated his class this year on the state level and is currently a mechanic for a Big S shop about the 130X today. He said that if he didn't have a ride from Big S he'd be rocking the Hammerhead frame. He currently races a Stumpjumper (our trails are chunky) and said the ride was equivalent and the only difference in the ride was about 1/2 lb. You know who I'm talking about Scott but I don't think it'd be fair to mention his name here.
    Oh wow! That's awesome to hear....I believe I know who you are talking about...he hasn't mentioned that to me

Also, you know what would be really cool....a Big S Enduro 27.5....oh wait! It doesn't exist

Someone should come out w/ one of those, bet it would ride awesome...

Crap....I'm probably going to get sued for saying that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will Switchback bikes make it?-specializedlitigate.jpg  

mtbr member

Someone should come out w/ one of those, bet it would ride awesome...
    Sigh... If only...

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

Making The Leap to 11spd

Okay, changing topics....been working on this for a while, hopefully it's helpful information for anyone considering Making The Leap from 10spd to 11spd

Making The Leap To 11spd ? 29er | 27.5 | Switchback Bikes

I owe MTBR member @drolling an apology. The gear ratio chart was built by him, I didn't realize it was his chart he had posted here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...os-854970.html

He is due credit for the chart.....I screwed up.
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 03-31-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Apology

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Scott, it seems like the only advantage to going to the XX1 is because of the 42t rear bailout.

Can't the same be accomplished with a 40t aftermarket gear or 104BCD adapter? Much cheaper and doesn't require a new hub. Or driver.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Going with a Wolf Tooth 42t ring 42T GC cog for Shimano – wolftoothcomponents.com for a 10spd cog would be a great/inexpensive way to get a sense of what a 1x11 set up would be like

Downsides:
    There is a big gearing jump when going up to the 42T cog on a 10spd set up and you lose a bit on the top end. The 10t ring on the 11spd cog is noticeably better (on the bike) than an 11t ring on a 10spd cog for the top end

mtbr member
    42T?!?!?! i assumt that's for a downhil bike, and by downhill i mean straight down...

i run a 34 and it's perfect.

mtbr member
    42T?!?!?! i assumt that's for a downhil bike, and by downhill i mean straight down...

i run a 34 and it's perfect.
    42 is for the rear.

If you like your low gear whereits at use a gear calculator and see how muchbigher you can make the front to get more high speed happiness

mtbr member
    bahahaha... when i clicked the link oh my phone i thought that was a spiderless chainring...

mtbr member

Unveil7 Prototype Frames

The Unveil7 prototype frames have been purchased, Manufacturer is finishing and assembling them to ship to us in April....1st spy photo below

Unveil7 ? 29er | 27.5 | Switchback Bikes

Here's a pic of the 1st prototype the Manufacturer built up for the Taipei Show
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will Switchback bikes make it?-ibex650-prototype.jpg  

Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 03-30-2014 at 06:45 AM. Reason: updated pic

mtbr member
    Nice!

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Wow that's really pretty. I'm hoping that we'll get to see even more shots in the near future!
    Last edited by It'sPopNotSoda; 04-02-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling

The Fastest of Bananas
    After riding Moab yesterday on my Titus FTM, I need more bike.

The Thumper is an option, but I am also looking at the new 650b stumpy evos, or the 29er EVO. I need more bike for sure.

Wild-Eyed Rectum 'Recker
    Question - why does this 'ProtoType' have IBEX as it's file name? IBEX was a bunch of shills on this MTBR.com, bailed out with a rubber-raft.

Will Switchback bikes make it?-10014018_494871213969147_1871532579_o.jpg

Wild-Eyed Rectum 'Recker
    I mean - there's going to be a reason for this, but feeding the Sharks and losing a pound of flesh again on this website is not going to be anyone's cup of tea -- my 2c.

mtbr member

IBEX650 is the Manufacturer's Frame Model Name
    It's how Brands communicate with Manufacturers & how we have to list frames when writing the POs for the frames

The Thumper/Unveil9 is the IBEX29....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Size XL 28lbs 12oz

Took my "Thumper" frame to the powdercoater for some Switchback Blue Love....slapped on some Switchback Stickers for an idea of what the Unveil7 and Unveil9 frames will look like PCed Switchback Blue....not too shabby if I don't mind saying so my own self
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will Switchback bikes make it?-myunveil9-1.jpg  

The Fastest of Bananas
    Thats perfect!

mtbr member

Full xt brakes and 1x10 drivetrain with 34t narrow-wide, crank Bros iodine 11 handlebar and Easton haven carbon seatpost. Revelation xx fork, arch ex, ardent 2.25 exo / ikon 2.2 exo (read: heavy as hell), and chromag trailmaster Ltd (read: heavy as hell)

Edit: also plastic bottle cage and crank Bros EB3
    Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Thats perfect!

Thanks!

That pic was taken w/ my sucky picture taking skills with a standard Canon EOS Rebel...it looks even better live.

Working on getting a couple more frames PCed and then taking them in to the studio for pics.

Although, I'm kinda of the opinion that I'd rather have "real world" pics....I mean, how many of us actually ride our bikes in a Studio?

Real World pics done by a PROfessional would be perfect, I feel

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Question - why does this 'ProtoType' have IBEX as it's file name? IBEX was a bunch of shills on this MTBR.com, bailed out with a rubber-raft.

Name:	10014018_494871213969147_1871532579_o.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	881125

It appears to have been photo shopped as well.

mtbr member
    @TwoNin9r Be careful not to suffer from Analysis Paralysis....couple OZs...hell LBs for that matter.. aren't that big of a deal. I know I am 10-15LBs over my fighting weight That's a lot worse than a 26lb trailbike and a 30lb trailbike, IMHO

mtbr member
    Haha. No actually thinking about the average weight of the wheels and the heavy ass tires and saddle, it's not that bad.

Posted via mobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast