mtbr member

Wide shoes - again

I've finally found another shoe company making the wide mountain bike shoes I need. Many years ago I hurt both feet with the first plastic telemark ski boots. I developed a "Morton's neuroma" in each foot because my feet were too wide for standard width shoes (my arches have fallen quite a bit in spite of custom orthodics, yours probably will too - sorry.)

I've settled the everyday shoe problem by shopping at New Balance where I buy shoes in EEEE. MTB shoes have been more of a problem because most mtb'ers are fairly young and haven't ruined their feet yet. I've used Shimano M-087 and M-089 shoes which are an EE width for many years and have been happy with them althought they seem to wear out in about a year.

However, when I looked at the Shimano site, only some high priced DH shoes still come in widths.

I tried a Lake shoe with some trepidation because there are no dealers in this area with an inventory of wide shoes.

The Lakes are wider than the Shimanos and the uppers are real leather (model MX 218). The first three rides, I wet the front of my socks before putting the shoes on. Wet leather stretches and doesn't go back if you wear the shoes until dry.

The Lakes cost $179 on sale so they are about $50 more than the shimanos - well within a sane price range. The shoes are very well made and have great traction. I'm quite relieved that I've got new shoes to ride with for a couple of years.

If you're having issues with feet, try the lakes in a wide. It may just work like it has for me.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

poser Administrator
    When I rode clipless i used lakes and they lasted me years. I can't recall what version but they had the BOA on the heel, which wasn't optimal. However I wore them out finally as bike commuters with the leather just finally giving in to the years of stress. They were nice and wide and really a good shoe. If they made a flat pedal shoe I would be all over that!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Rocks belong
    I've got Lake MX145's and like them for cool rides. Hate that stupid BOA system. Otherwise, great shoes.

Looking at 5.10 Kestrel Lace as every review seems to say they run way wide.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    I've always had a hard time finding wide SPD MTB shoes that I like. My personal favorite have always been Cannondale Roam's. They came in the width I need. Unfortunately, they're no longer made. Haven't been for a while now. Some time ago, I came across a source with a few left, and I bought the last three pair in my size. I'm now on the last of those. Fortunately, they last a long time.

Name:  shoes.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  81.6 KB
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like the fit of my Lakes, however the sole is gummy enough that it impedes getting out of my pedals (Candys). The tread grips the pedal enough to make it hard to twist your foot to get out. I wish the sole was made of harder material for the area around the cleat.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I've got Lake MX145's and like them for cool rides. Hate that stupid BOA system. Otherwise, great shoes.

Looking at 5.10 Kestrel Lace as every review seems to say they run way wide.
    Oh i was excited for a minute about those 5.10s but realized they are clipless. I haven't found a last in shoes for flats that doesn't touch my foot in a weird way that I know will annoy on the bike as I stress the shoe over technical terrain. I currently use Vans for mountain biking and they work pretty well, though I size up for the width.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I also have wide feet. I've used the Lakes and agree they are nice and wide.

I'm riding flats now and do find the 5.10s to be wide enough. I've got a pair of Impacts that did take a bit to stretch, but are fine. And a pair of Freeride Pro that are very comfortable. Didn't even have to stretch them out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For clipless I like the Sidi Mega shoes.

mtbr member
    I don't have extremely wide feet, but I like roomy shoes. I have not found a cycling shoe that fits the way I'd like, but wearing flat, natural shoes helped a lot. Orthotics were a waste of time. They just made my feet weaker. Switching to minimalist sneakers (Xero, Lems, some Merrells) allowed me to ditch the crutches aka orthotic insoles and my feet don't hurt all the time like they used to.

Unfortunately, cycling shoes for flat pedals or clipless don't seem to have caught onto the 21st century when we no longer engage in foot binding practices.