Thread: Whyte PRST-4?

mtbr member

Whyte PRST-4?

I want to learn more about these very cool bikes. I think I want one!

AZ
    banned
    Links, pics, line drawing, c'mon you have to give us something to work with.

High Gravity Haze
    Best descriptor= linkage hell.
    Think back to the old days of Girvin who became Noleen who became K2 and said enough is enough! My best recollection is that the systems worked well, but not better than your standard twin stanchion forks and when the bushings wore out they made a Chris King hub seem silent.

High Gravity Haze

22 bushing/bearing points if I counted correctly through my high gravity haze...

AZ
    banned
    Rube Goldbergs bad dream, I remember them and the over complication. Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench
    Rear suspension is exactly the same as Marin Quad-Link (since Whyte designs them)...read reviews on those and if you like them then get a Marin.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    What the **** is that thing?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks creaky and noodly. Eww. Imagine trying to find a creaking pivot in that mess.
    2015 Scott Foil Team Issue
    2015 Kona Process 111
    2015 Salsa Mukluk 2

I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That thing hurts my brain.

mtbr member
    They were a really good design, but to ugly to be accepted. And believe it or not, I have been reading that the 4 model needed very little maintenance.

mtbr member
    Preston!

Those things are collectors items now, four bar linkages at both ends, ah good times. The PRST1's were a bit on the noodly side, they tended to crack at the end of the swing arms. The PRST4 was great, don't know about Americaland but they sold solidly in the UK since they had decent mud clearance and came with Hope kit as standard. They were really nice to ride but I never owned one.

I see a few a year at events and trail centres, usually with a guy who'd sell his first born before he sold the bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Preston!

Those things are collectors items now, four bar linkages at both ends, ah good times. The PRST1's were a bit on the noodly side, they tended to crack at the end of the swing arms. The PRST4 was great, don't know abuot AMericaland but they sold solidly in the UK since they had decent mud clearance and came with Hope kit as standard. They were really nice to ride but I never owned one.

I see a few a year at events and trail centres, usually with a guy who'd sell his first born before he sold the bike...
    Let me know if you ever see a 4 frame for sale.

mtbr member
    yep!

J:
    Dropper post and negative rise bars would be icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Here is an article about version 1. Version 4 is even better.
    http://www.togoparts.com/articles/ar...id=24&pageid=1

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/2407363226.html This PRST-1 has been for sale for the last year. I'd like to have one just for the hell of it.

mtbr member
    That's a nice one! I'm interested in a 4, medium size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    What the **** is that thing?
    A Transformer. I thinks it's an AutoBot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy Darke View Post
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/2407363226.html This PRST-1 has been for sale for the last year. I'd like to have one just for the hell of it.
    That's funny, the ad has been deleted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i bought it, lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaGunSlinger View Post
    i bought it, lol
    Did you actually buy it?

mtbr member
    i bought it, lol
    Pictures, or it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    the thread i made before i bought it...

https://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/my-1st-bike-please-help-camber-comp-vs-scott-genius-60-a-716936.html

this is me taking off my truck, i got it for a 1000, and i love it, i wish i knew more about it. is it all stock, has the previous owner built it up, i don't know. but i love riding it and it rides better then both the other bike i was looking to buy in that thread made...

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    What's with the rear triangle? It looks like it's designed to protect the chainring against rockstrike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Congrats on the new bike. If you ever make it up to Santos you won't be hard to spot.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It kind of reminds me of Peter Griffin's Breakfast machine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i love mine, i use for more on road then off. but the few trails i did take it on it was a great ride. i'm heavy 260lbs and i have my rear shock set at near 300psi.

i will be buying some semi slick and the bike will be complete for me

mtbr member
    i love mine, i use for more on road then off. but the few trails i did take it on it was a great ride. i'm heavy 260lbs and i have my rear shock set at near 300psi.

i will be buying some semi slick and the bike will be complete for me
    Pics or it's not true!

mtbr member
    I know the PRST-1's suffered from brake dive, did they sort that for the PRST-4's?
    Other than that, they were certainly a distinctive bike, I doubt that there is much out there to rival it for looks (or lack of).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Following the earlier advice I got I have since posted mine last weekend on the classifieds section here on MTBR. The MTBR site said I don't have enough posts to include the link here but it got listed on DEC 18th. I too did a lot or road time and rail/trail with mine...hence the 1.5" slicks on mine in the pics!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Is this a glorified Y frame?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Pics or it's not true!
    i am trying to go again this weekend, i will take some pics out there. i hit some black diamond trails on tuesday for the 1st and i am just amazed at what this bike can do. it just rolls over everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Is this a glorified Y frame?
    Not really.

A better description would be that it's two VPP style frames welded together in the middle.

It solved the issue of forks and shocks having cack damping in 2003, but it's not 2003 anymore and forks and shocks work now (mostly).

mtbr member
    Had a PRST1 for 2 years then bought the last PRST4 from the factory, Ive been useing it for work for the past 3 years as a mountain bike Guide for Mountain Biking Holidays in Wales excellent bike, not particularly light (28lb) but rides extremely light, and yes with all those pivots its reliable! The front end is silky smooth, far less grief than any traditional forks even today, its limitations.... 4 travel front and back, and its not intended for jumping, it hugs the ground like a ferret, the only mod I have made is wider bars and ditching the crappy disposable Shimano brakes for Hope ones.
    anyone want any info I'd be more than happy to oblige
    -------------------------
    Whyte PRST 4
    EPX Terrashark
    Specialized Hardrock (Modified)

mtbr member

Prst4

Now had mine for 4 years, all suspension Bearings (18 bearings, 4 Bushes,1 Spherical bearing) lifetime warranted (which they honour without question) the bushes (top of shocks) have not developed any play in 4 years with a couple of thousand miles on the clock (so to speak) spherical bearing has been replaced twice (8 a throw) bearings can be replaced with two Allen keys..... can be done without any special tools

Has anyone tried fixing a fork, let alone on a trail

Still using mine for guiding as it is so robust yet light feeling to do the all day rides I demand of it!
    Whyte PRST 4
    EPX Terrashark

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Ebay!

Whyte PRST-4?-whyre4.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by leshark View Post
    Now had mine for 4 years, all suspension Bearings (18 bearings, 4 Bushes,1 Spherical bearing) lifetime warranted (which they honour without question) the bushes (top of shocks) have not developed any play in 4 years with a couple of thousand miles on the clock (so to speak) spherical bearing has been replaced twice (8 a throw) bearings can be replaced with two Allen keys..... can be done without any special tools

Has anyone tried fixing a fork, let alone on a trail

Still using mine for guiding as it is so robust yet light feeling to do the all day rides I demand of it!
    Ebay purchase 300 for frame and shocks, I just went for discounted shimano wheels n chainset , avid 1 brakes, my Brooks titanium rail saddle and adapted early Spesh FSR Enduro gaurds as I think they suite it the way the lines follow.

This bike was built to do a daily 20 mile commute 80% of which is trail, so a bit of a weird spec for a bike.

I think all up this has cost 600. After a year of use I can say its no different nothing worn nothing creaks or rattles.

I just grease the spherical bearing every couple of months and it will take whatever you throw at it. Once you get the air shocks dialled in ride is super plush.

Theres a lock out on the rear shock but the rear end bob is negligible anyway considering the plush ride.

Weird thing is its lighter than my hard tail and I prefer it to my S works full suss, dont think ill ever sell it, not much else out there.

Whyte PRST-4?-whyte.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slartybartfarst View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whyre4.jpg 
Views:	1132 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	815371

Ebay purchase 300 for frame and shocks, I just went for discounted shimano wheels n chainset , avid 1 brakes, my Brooks titanium rail saddle and adapted early Spesh FSR Enduro gaurds as I think they suite it the way the lines follow.

This bike was built to do a daily 20 mile commute 80% of which is trail, so a bit of a weird spec for a bike.

I think all up this has cost 600. After a year of use I can say its no different nothing worn nothing creaks or rattles.

I just grease the spherical bearing every couple of months and it will take whatever you throw at it. Once you get the air shocks dialled in ride is super plush.

Theres a lock out on the rear shock but the rear end bob is negligible anyway considering the plush ride.

Weird thing is its lighter than my hard tail and I prefer it to my S works full suss, dont think ill ever sell it, not much else out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whyte.jpg 
Views:	2841 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	815369
    Great to hear it, I have no intension of selling mine, I have other bikes but use the PRST for guiding and all day rides, it tracks so well on winding forrest/single track, & I have no trouble riding it for 8hrs+
    Whyte PRST 4
    EPX Terrashark

I ride bikes
    The quad link is a phenomenal suspension design. I have always wondered what the front end of those feel like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The quad link is a phenomenal suspension design. I have always wondered what the front end of those feel like.
    Ive ridden motor bikes for 40 years and always liked front ends to work right, unfortunatly we all get a diet of tele forks so we know no better. In the motorbike world there have been a few attempts to do it right, I ran a Yamaha GTS 1000 for years.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ya...w=1280&bih=714
    It was so good, kind of following the bumps instead of getting jarred by them. Thats the best way I can describe the PRST 4 front, there is no way tele forks are going to get near because of the friction.
    Once you get the settings right it turns bumps into smooth tarmac.
    The GTS was a flop too!

mtbr member
    Hi,if you need to replace the spherical bearing (I do a lot of Welsh mountain rides on mine) I have just bought a job lot and intend to sell half of them looking for 7.50 a shot, they are IKO PB10's (as originally fitted by Whyte) and now selling for over 15 by retailers, cheers Rich
    Whyte PRST 4
    EPX Terrashark