Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 137
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,577

    Why Not Just Delete General Discuasion

    I've always liked this forum, but if the moderators insist on pigeonholing everything we post, they might as well get rid of it.

    Go ahead and move this thread too, moderators. I guess you have nothing better to do.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Way too many forums here, you could certainly bin some of them.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,639
    General has the most posts and most threads as compared to all other forums. Yeah lets kill it!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  4. #4
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,776
    Combine general and norcal
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  5. #5
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,183
    I think we should combine this forum with Road Bike Review.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

  6. #6
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    What the heck is "Passion and Riding Stories"? I get the "Stories" piece, but "Passion" is as generic as General Discussion.

  7. #7
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    We need a "Gripes and Moans" sub-forum.
    Cool heads prevail

  8. #8
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Way too many forums here, you could certainly bin some of them.
    E-bikes
    28.3" wheels
    What did you do last summer
    New standards you have to buy
    Etc...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  9. #9
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,918
    +1

    No kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    We need a "Gripes and Moans" sub-forum.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  10. #10
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Some other possible subforums:

    • Granola Deals
    • Scrutinize Every Word in a Post and Still Misunderstand
    • NorCal #2
    • Mom?

  11. #11
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Some other possible subforums:

    • Granola Deals
    • Scrutinize Every Word in a Post and Still Misunderstand
    • NorCal #2
    • Mom?
    Now we're talking!
    Cool heads prevail

  12. #12
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    We need a "Gripes and Moans" sub-forum.
    Picard has turned Off Camber into one lately.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    — Winston Churchill

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeadGrandpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    We need a "Gripes and Moans" sub-forum.
    I like your positive outlook.

  14. #14
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
    I like your positive outlook.
    I could be the moderator!

    Srsly tho, I'm trying to hold back right now, because I'm a bit miffed myself. Trails finally opened up yesterday and now it's raining AGAIN!
    Cool heads prevail

  15. #15
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Some other possible subforums:

    • Granola Deals
    • Scrutinize Every Word in a Post and Still Misunderstand
    • NorCal #2
    • Mom?
    Now we're posting!
    fify
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  16. #16
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,795
    Unfortunately we can't move this thread anywhere. We don't have a whining subforum yet.

  17. #17
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,521
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    Unfortunately we can't move this thread anywhere. We don't have a winning subforum yet.

    Fixed that for you.

    Why Not Just Delete General Discuasion-1ba917e4-f5c5-4a18-8f1c-0158f8457ab1.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  18. #18
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,144
    Monkey Butt forum.....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    I like Corns idea, but I'd call it " Piss & Bitch".

  20. #20
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,093
    inscrutable moderating is one of the things that keeps me coming back to this site. I was worried with the changeover, but my fears were unfounded.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  21. #21
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    We need a "Gripes and Moans" sub-forum.
    that got a good cackle out of me...

  22. #22
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    Rename "General Discussion" to the "Moved Threads Forum."
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    — Winston Churchill

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    What the heck is "Passion and Riding Stories"? I get the "Stories" piece, but "Passion" is as generic as General Discussion.
    Obviously you haven't seen the treads about clipless vs. flat, hartail vs. fullsus, tire sizes, etc.

  24. #24
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    Obviously you haven't seen the treads about clipless vs. flat, hartail vs. fullsus, tire sizes, etc.
    ...and those couldn't be in General Discussion because they're just too darned passionate.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    114
    At least it's less absurd than "components", "29er components", "brake", "drivetrain" subforums. If this site didn't exist, I would have never known that 29er needs different components and that brake and drivetrain are not part of bike components.

    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    ...and those couldn't be in General Discussion because they're just too darned passionate.

  26. #26
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    At least it's less absurd than "components", "29er components", "brake", "drivetrain" subforums. If this site didn't exist, I would have never known that 29er needs different components and that brake and drivetrain are not part of bike components.
    Indeed.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gravityaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    71
    How about a "hookers and blow" forum ?
    High on dopamine

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    653
    Maybe the moderators help us do this newfangled internet forum thing correctly.

    Maybe we can have webinar.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

  29. #29
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    I think "components" suffers from an unfortunate name. But makes sense as a place to discuss handlebars, grips, saddle, seatposts, etc. Maybe would be better named "Cockpit Components" or something, since that references contact points and fit components.

    If you wanted to lump them all, though, consider traffic in each of them. Drivetrain appears to get the most traffic, with threads staying on the first page for about 3 weeks. Brake time is about 4 weeks. 29er Components is about 4 months, but those threads would only contribute a small amount to any of these topics, since there's lots of wheel discussion and suspension discussion in there, too. Components bumps threads onto page 2 after about a month and a half. So if you grouped 'em all, topics would probably push onto page 2 in a week or two, I'd suspect. But that would give it more traffic than General, which keeps threads on page 1 for about 3 weeks. And at least as much, if not more than Norcal, which is at 2 weeks.

    So I think dividing them up still makes more sense. A more descriptive name for "Components" might be better in the long run, though, as it seems like too many people cannot be bothered to read the forum descriptions which do a pretty good job of explaining what fits in most of the forums.

  30. #30
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    A more descriptive name for "Components" might be better in the long run
    How about "Mountain Bike Components"
    Cool heads prevail

  31. #31
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravityaholic View Post
    How about a "hookers and blow" forum ?
    Seems to be related to this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...c-1091077.html

  32. #32
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    I've always liked this forum, but if the moderators insist on pigeonholing everything we post, they might as well get rid of it.

    Go ahead and move this thread too, moderators. I guess you have nothing better to do.
    Maybe if people stopped posting Drivetrain Questions in general the mods would stop moving the drive train questions to the drivetrain forum.

    If people stopped posting Brake Questions in General, the mods would stop moving the brake questions to the Brake time forum.

    If people stopped posting Dropper Seat threads in General, the mods would stop moving the dropper post threads to the Components section.

    If there is a "spot" for the discussion, then the thread will be migrated to the correct spot. If it belongs in General, then it stays in general.

    It is pretty simple.

    /facepalm
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  33. #33
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Maybe if people stopped posting Drivetrain Questions in general the mods would stop moving the drive train questions to the drivetrain forum.

    If people stopped posting Brake Questions in General, the mods would stop moving the brake questions to the Brake time forum.

    If people stopped posting Dropper Seat threads in General, the mods would stop moving the dropper post threads to the Components section.

    If there is a "spot" for the discussion, then the thread will be migrated to the correct spot. If it belongs in General, then it stays in general.

    It is pretty simple.

    /facepalm
    We're just goofing here, but I think there's work to be done if you are hardcore about moving stuff. A quick glance of first page here shows:

    "HEAD BADGE"/ The Good / The Bad / The Ugly....Photo thread." moved to Passion, but "Attach New Headbadge [sic]" is here in General.

    E-Bikes may get really expensive ... is still in General.

    Sb5 frame size ... is still in General (Yeti).

  34. #34
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    We're just goofing here, but I think there's work to be done if you are hardcore about moving stuff. A quick glance of first page here shows:

    "HEAD BADGE"/ The Good / The Bad / The Ugly....Photo thread." moved to Passion, but "Attach New Headbadge [sic]" is here in General.

    E-Bikes may get really expensive ... is still in General.

    Sb5 frame size ... is still in General (Yeti).
    The head badge thread was moved out of passion into general. But then the consensus was to move it back to passion. I guess I could of left off the redirect.

    The e-bike one is a general discussion of tariffs on all bikes and bike parts, it belongs in general. The eBike forum is for discussion specific eBike models for the most part.

    I did not see the Sb5 thread. most of the time I rely on users to report threads that are in the wrong place.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  35. #35
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Also, not that anyone reads it, but how the site is organized is outlined in this stickied thread:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...t-1017589.html

    I am working on getting new users directed to this page when they first sign up, but it will have to wait until the site is migrated to new servers.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  36. #36
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,521
    I like the redirect link once a thread has been moved. Otherwise if you’ve participated in a thread that was moved and it’s suddenly gone it’s a guessing game as to where it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  37. #37
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    The head badge thread was moved out of passion into general. But then the consensus was to move it back to passion. I guess I could of left off the redirect.

    The e-bike one is a general discussion of tariffs on all bikes and bike parts, it belongs in general. The eBike forum is for discussion specific eBike models for the most part.

    I did not see the Sb5 thread. most of the time I rely on users to report threads that are in the wrong place.
    You neg repped me for this? Nice.

  38. #38
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    You neg repped me for this? Nice.
    not for that, but for the post you started that was specifically taunting me and the other mods. I mentioned that in the reputation comment.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  39. #39
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    You've got a lot more neg rep to dish out then. There has been non-stop mention of thread moving in jest.

    Learn to take a joke.

  40. #40
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,340
    Agreed. That's one reason I don't visit much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Way too many forums here, you could certainly bin some of them.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,010
    I wonder for how long I'll keep saying "discuasion" (rhymes with persuasion)? Thanks a lot, MTBR.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,931
    Can we have subforum about speedo

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Can we have subforum about speedo

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    You want one for this?:

    Why Not Just Delete General Discuasion-speedo-mtbr.jpg

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    I like this website and have been a member since 2010. But it's not as interesting as it used to be....it's probably just me. I've become more set in my ways and I find I'm more interested in the Internally Geared Hub Forum (perhaps the least visited spot on this site) than much of anything else.

    I am happy to see that the ancient partisan topics (wheel size, too much bike, etc.) generally lead to a few boring comments and then die from lack of interest.

    Even the eBike controversy is getting stale.

    There's not that much new in the sport that is revolutionary enough to generate a lot of meaningful debate.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I've become more set in my ways and I find I'm more interested in the Internally Geared Hub Forum..
    I'm afraid that just makes you a weirdo. Hub-gears, single-speed, the marks of a man who fits in like a fart in a lift ;0)

  46. #46
    Enthusiast
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I like this website and have been a member since 2010. But it's not as interesting as it used to be....it's probably just me.
    It's not just you. I feel the same. Hard to put my finger on why. Today it feels like Pinkbike is where the forum action is, and I also wonder whether Reddit and maybe Facebook Groups have siphoned away a lot of the discussion.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    It's not just you. I feel the same. Hard to put my finger on why.
    Way too many sub-forums.

  48. #48
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I like this website and have been a member since 2010. But it's not as interesting as it used to be....it's probably just me. I've become more set in my ways and I find I'm more interested in the Internally Geared Hub Forum (perhaps the least visited spot on this site) than much of anything else.

    I am happy to see that the ancient partisan topics (wheel size, too much bike, etc.) generally lead to a few boring comments and then die from lack of interest.

    Even the eBike controversy is getting stale.

    There's not that much new in the sport that is revolutionary enough to generate a lot of meaningful debate.
    "There's not that much new in the sport that is revolutionary enough to generate a lot of meaningful debate."

    meant to reply to your post and read it again.

    ignore me and please carry on.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    This site needs a Wild West forum. No moderators, no topic off the table. Just say what you think without worrying about offending some whiny thin skinned brat who can’t handle hearing an opinion unless it’s sugar coated and politically correct.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dylandewandel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This site needs a Wild West forum. No moderators, no topic off the table.
    No forum is complete without this section, honestly.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    ALimon makes a very good point.

  52. #52
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,773
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This site needs a Wild West forum. No moderators, no topic off the table. Just say what you think without worrying about offending some whiny thin skinned brat who can’t handle hearing an opinion unless it’s sugar coated and politically correct.
    The whole world needs this.
    Edit, well, I still try to treat others with respect and how I would like them to treat me. There is nothing good about people being assholes for no reason.

    But lately it seems that"everything" is offensive nowadays....I mean come on.
    Last edited by Shark; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:46 AM.

  53. #53
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This site needs a Wild West forum. No moderators, no topic off the table. Just say what you think without worrying about offending some whiny thin skinned brat who can’t handle hearing an opinion unless it’s sugar coated and politically correct.
    This comment sucks.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ALimon makes a very good point.
    No he doesn't. I've been on totally unrestricted forums. One of them the mods felt people are grown-ups and should not be muzzled. The results are catastrophic.

    People behave differently, the worst comes out, and it attracts people who want to behave badly. After a while the atmosphere is toxic and you don't want to visit, it's a depressing place to be. The effects even spill outside of the forum.

    I've seen one guy trying to get another fired from his job in retaliation over a forum fall out. A guy punch another at a barbeque and another trying to sue someone over derogatory things said about his business. It gets real ugly, it's not a good suggestion and I'd be very wary of anyone who wants that kind of forum. If you had no desire to post poison, why would you want that freedom?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    If you had no desire to post poison, why would you want that freedom?
    +Infinity

  56. #56
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    No he doesn't. I've been on totally unrestricted forums. One of them the mods felt people are grown-ups and should not be muzzled. The results are catastrophic.

    People behave differently, the worst comes out, and it attracts people who want to behave badly. After a while the atmosphere is toxic and you don't want to visit, it's a depressing place to be. The effects even spill outside of the forum.

    I've seen one guy trying to get another fired from his job in retaliation over a forum fall out. A guy punch another at a barbeque and another trying to sue someone over derogatory things said about his business. It gets real ugly, it's not a good suggestion and I'd be very wary of anyone who wants that kind of forum. If you had no desire to post poison, why would you want that freedom?
    It gets really ugly. We've had a member here threaten mods. He stalked and made some serious threats. Some people need a timeout, even though they throw a tantrum and act as if they're little innocent angels.

  57. #57
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,506
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

    Learn to take a joke.
    That's pretty funny.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  58. #58
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,506
    Why not spell 'discussion' correctly in the thread topic line, thasswhatiwannakknow.

    How about a Badd Speeling forum?
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  59. #59
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This site needs a Wild West forum. No moderators, no topic off the table. Just say what you think without worrying about offending some whiny thin skinned brat who can’t handle hearing an opinion unless it’s sugar coated and politically correct.
    This forum had that for a time. Years ago. It got bad. Negativity and hate permeated every section of the forum and the whole place became a terrible place to visit. Many people got permabanned from it for being terrible. That section of the site got shitcanned, for good reason. F88 (under a previous link structure that numbered each forum in the URL).

    If you want this kind of thing, go find one of the internet's cesspools like 4chan or reddit.

    What our society NEEDS is for people to stop being toxic towards each other. But until that happens (it won't), places like this need enforced civility (even if some people don't like it), and certain topics absolutely should be kept off-limits.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    No he doesn't. I've been on totally unrestricted forums. One of them the mods felt people are grown-ups and should not be muzzled. The results are catastrophic.

    People behave differently, the worst comes out, and it attracts people who want to behave badly. After a while the atmosphere is toxic and you don't want to visit, it's a depressing place to be. The effects even spill outside of the forum.

    I've seen one guy trying to get another fired from his job in retaliation over a forum fall out. A guy punch another at a barbeque and another trying to sue someone over derogatory things said about his business. It gets real ugly, it's not a good suggestion and I'd be very wary of anyone who wants that kind of forum. If you had no desire to post poison, why would you want that freedom?
    This website most definitely needs a forum where honesty is appreciated, not frowned upon. Honest conversation makes for the best conversation. Ever notice how the really good topics always get shut down here? I do. Then we’re left with diluted, sugar coated, every kid gets a trophy conversation. BOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGGG!

    Honesty isn’t for everyone. But as long as you have self confidence, it really doesn’t matter what others think or say. If you don’t, then I wouldn’t enter a forum where anything goes. Plenty of sugar coated forums to choose from.

  61. #61
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This website most definitely needs a forum where honesty is appreciated, not frowned upon. Honest conversation makes for the best conversation. Ever notice how the really good topics always get shut down here? I do. Then we’re left with diluted, sugar coated, every kid gets a trophy conversation. BOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGGG!

    Honesty isn’t for everyone. But as long as you have self confidence, it really doesn’t matter what others think or say. If you don’t, then I wouldn’t enter a forum where anything goes. Plenty of sugar coated forums to choose from.
    then maybe you don't belong here. how's that for honesty?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This website most definitely needs a forum where honesty is appreciated, not frowned upon.
    I don't like you and I never have. I don't consider you honest. I think you are twisted and manipulative. How's that for a start?

  63. #63
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    I’m not afraid of honesty, but the kind of honesty that hurts.... I’ll save that for people who I have a real face to face relationship with. I have no need for a license to be antagonistic here on the forums.

  64. #64
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I don't like you and I never have. I don't consider you honest. I think you are twisted and manipulative. How's that for a start?



    Pig could moderate proposed forum.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I don't like you and I never have. I don't consider you honest. I think you are twisted and manipulative. How's that for a start?
    You’re entitled to your opinion. It doesn’t faze me one bit. Since were being honest, I think you’re a thin skinned whiny twit who lacks self confidence.

    See.... that’s not so bad.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    then maybe you don't belong here. how's that for honesty?
    Maybe I do, maybe I don’t. Appreciate your honesty

  67. #67
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,568
    i always loved the downward spiral genre in cinema...

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,024
    no Orange section?.. mean Es !

  69. #69
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,795
    This thread is starting to go downhill.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    841
    I like the Passion forum but my shortcut no longer takes me there. Bewildered.

  71. #71
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber View Post
    I like the Passion forum but my shortcut no longer takes me there. Bewildered.
    Update your shortcut.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Pig could moderate proposed forum.
    Lol

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This website most definitely needs a forum where honesty is appreciated, not frowned upon. Honest conversation makes for the best conversation. Ever notice how the really good topics always get shut down here? I do. Then we’re left with diluted, sugar coated, every kid gets a trophy conversation. BOOOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGGG!

    Honesty isn’t for everyone. But as long as you have self confidence, it really doesn’t matter what others think or say. If you don’t, then I wouldn’t enter a forum where anything goes. Plenty of sugar coated forums to choose from.
    Being nice, polite, or open does not mean people aren't being honest.

    This sounds like a personal problem. If you need to break forum rules to be honest, you don't belong here anyway. Don't pin your issues on the rest of us though.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I'm afraid that just makes you a weirdo. Hub-gears, single-speed, the marks of a man who fits in like a fart in a lift ;0)
    I'm obviously in my dotage. But I really like my Rohloff.

  75. #75
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Being nice, polite, or open does not mean people aren't being honest.

    This sounds like a personal problem. If you need to break forum rules to be honest, you don't belong here anyway. Don't pin your issues on the rest of us though.
    Agreed. I have no idea what this "honesty" is that a few users want.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  76. #76
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Agreed. I have no idea what this "honesty" is that a few users want.
    they want license to say whatever they want without consequence. which isn't something that you can have anywhere in life, anyway.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I have no idea what this "honesty" is that a few users want.
    It's a cover for nastiness, nothing more. The mark of a bully.

  78. #78
    Nutrailer
    Reputation: JackWare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    384
    I don't think a sugar coated forum would be a good idea, I spend too long browsing here already without starting to lick my screen as well.
    What a perfect waste of time

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    I don't think a sugar coated forum would be a good idea, I spend too long browsing here already without starting to lick my screen as well.
    I'm not sure what this means, but I often read these forums on the toilet, so this sounds like something I shouldn't do.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    they want license to say whatever they want without consequence. which isn't something that you can have anywhere in life, anyway.
    Why should there be consequences for expressing how you feel? It’s an opinion. Nothing more. MR. Pig has repeatedly has told me how he dislikes me and has stated numerous reasons as well. Although I disagree, He’s entitled to think and form an opinion as he chooses. He’s just being completely honest, not a damn thing wrong with that.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Why should there be consequences for expressing how you feel?
    Not should, are. You can hurt other people, and that's not what this forum is for.

    As others have said, if you want to do that, leave.

  82. #82
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Why should there be consequences for expressing how you feel? It’s an opinion. Nothing more. MR. Pig has repeatedly has told me how he dislikes me and has stated numerous reasons as well. Although I disagree, He’s entitled to think and form an opinion as he chooses. He’s just being completely honest, not a damn thing wrong with that.
    As long as he does it without resorting to name calling of trolling, then he is within the site rules.

    Once people start going outside the bounds and insult others intelligence and become purposely argumentative, then they get moderated.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  83. #83
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Why should there be consequences for expressing how you feel? It’s an opinion. Nothing more. MR. Pig has repeatedly has told me how he dislikes me and has stated numerous reasons as well. Although I disagree, He’s entitled to think and form an opinion as he chooses. He’s just being completely honest, not a damn thing wrong with that.
    There are ALWAYS consequences for your words or actions. ALWAYS. Words have meanings, and those meanings affect people. Not everything should be said. Some things should be kept to yourself.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Update your shortcut.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk


    Thanks, got it.

  85. #85
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,795
    I think there is plenty of leeway on this forum. The mods get called names and insulted all the time either in PMs or publicly. It's usually coming from the ones who want to be wild. Guess what, they are free to express themselves whether we like it or not.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Why should there be consequences for expressing how you feel? It’s an opinion. Nothing more. MR. Pig has repeatedly has told me how he dislikes me and has stated numerous reasons as well. Although I disagree, He’s entitled to think and form an opinion as he chooses. He’s just being completely honest, not a damn thing wrong with that.
    There are times to be perfectly honest and times to bite one's tongue for the sake of being polite. One might read a post and "feel" : "That the most moronic thing I have ever read". Sure, one could express that verbatim, but what will it accomplish? It is likely to make the other person defensive and more set in that position. Is it not better to politely offer a different solution or opinion?

    Respectful discourse seems to be a lost art.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    810
    Get rid of General Discussion? What if one wanted to discuss Rommel vs Patton?

  88. #88
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Get rid of General Discussion? What if one wanted to discuss Rommel vs Patton?
    touche. I bet it would be moved to OC.

  89. #89
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,010
    Participating in an unmoderated forum can be like trying to have a conversation with a room full of very drunk people.

  90. #90
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Participating in an unmoderated forum can be like trying to have a conversation with a room full of very drunk people.




    Drunker than the posters here?
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  91. #91
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    There are times to be perfectly honest and times to bite one's tongue for the sake of being polite. One might read a post and "feel" : "That the most moronic thing I have ever read". Sure, one could express that verbatim, but what will it accomplish? It is likely to make the other person defensive and more set in that position. Is it not better to politely offer a different solution or opinion?

    Respectful discourse seems to be a lost art.
    100% This!
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  92. #92
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,010
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Drunker than the posters here?
    Ha! This place is like office holiday party drunk. Some forums are like 1am at a bar where they have $5 pitchers drunk.

  93. #93
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Get rid of General Discussion? What if one wanted to discuss Rommel vs Patton?
    Tanks, but no tanks.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    — Winston Churchill

  94. #94
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Get rid of General Discussion? What if one wanted to discuss Rommel vs Patton?
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Tanks, but no tanks.
    Ha! I rate your humor five stars.

  95. #95
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Tanks, but no tanks.
    Nicely done Mr Ring.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  96. #96
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Ha! I rate your humor five stars.
    Cool. Normally my dad jokes get flagged.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    — Winston Churchill

  97. #97
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Ha! I rate your humor five stars.

  98. #98
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Ha! This place is like office holiday party drunk. Some forums are like 1am at a bar where they have $5 pitchers drunk.
    Damn. I can't even get a pint for five bucks anymore.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  99. #99
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Damn. I can't even get a pint for five bucks anymore.
    I am not sure it would be possible for me to get drunk on whatever swill is being sold for $5 a pitcher unless shots got added in somewhere. I'd be spending so much time in the can peeing, that it would never happen.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    As long as he does it without resorting to name calling of trolling, then he is within the site rules.

    Once people start going outside the bounds and insult others intelligence and become purposely argumentative, then they get moderated.
    Are you listening Mr Pig???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. delete - please delete mods
    By Urnicus in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 02:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 01:23 AM

Members who have read this thread: 298

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.