Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 401 to 440 of 440
  1. #401
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,123
    this is like a bench clearing brawl in hockey: everyone is in....when are the goalies gonna go at it!!!

    I think Picard is definitely winning!!!
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

    15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigHit-Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    756
    Troll... troll... troll.. your boat.... gently down the stream.... merely merely merely merely... life is like a dream.....
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

  3. #403
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Hey DJ, beyond your words being pot calling kettle black, you're also replying to yourself -- telling yourself you're onto something.

    Now don't construe this to be me saying you're wrong. Indeed you ARE onto something!
    =sParty
    After backtracking who I responded to and after you pointing it out. To my surprise I did indeed respond to myself. Just goes to show myself that I agree with what I said. Now I feel guilty for not choosing a post to respond to that wasn’t mine but one I also agree with. It’s all a twisted mess now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  4. #404
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,155
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    After backtracking who I responded to and after you pointing it out. To my surprise I did indeed respond to myself. Just goes to show myself that I agree with what I said. Now I feel guilty for not choosing a post to respond to that wasn’t mine but one I also agree with. It’s all a twisted mess now.
    Are you kidding? It just proves that you were right the whole time. Personally I'd pop a beer & celebrate.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    The fact that you've been riding a department store bike for 9 years means you can ignore everyone else in this thread. Save robbnj, possibly.

    Why should I listen? You can't see passed your own nose.

    Insulting someone calling them idiots then saying "buy our used crap it's safe trust us." Doesn't inspire trust.

    Add in you are ignoring the fact I am aware of my limitations and those of the bike. Or that I have stated I am not an abusive rider.

    And jumping at my skill level isn't an option.
    So I am not applying the same level of riding as you do.

    And likely won't happen for a while.

    As long as that bike isn't being jumped or bashed into a tree... I don't see your issue.

  6. #406
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wacha Wacha Wacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    413
    Hawk -

    Does this mean your skill level has remained consistent over nine years?

    If my skill level has increased over the ten years I've been serious about biking (say enough to wear out my tires) and my disposable income and learned skill allows me to build a bike from scratch (from the frame up) over $150 - say $1,000 or maybe even more than a car at $7,000 - $8,000. Does this mean I'm part of the band wagon you find problematic in the enthusiast mindset?

    Your point of view is very curious. I find it even more intriguing that folks have made helpful, accommodating suggestions that have seemingly been ignored by you.

  7. #407
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,248
    Effin cray thread. Awesome. Just when I thought this place was getting boring AF!

  8. #408
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk258 View Post
    Why should I listen? You can't see passed your own nose.

    Insulting someone calling them idiots then saying "buy our used crap it's safe trust us." Doesn't inspire trust.

    Add in you are ignoring the fact I am aware of my limitations and those of the bike. Or that I have stated I am not an abusive rider.

    And jumping at my skill level isn't an option.
    So I am not applying the same level of riding as you do.

    And likely won't happen for a while.

    As long as that bike isn't being jumped or bashed into a tree... I don't see your issue.
    I'm not insulting you. I like you! I think you're impressively polite and have a ton of patience and a perspective that is totally foreign to my own, so it's interesting to read what you have to say.

    The fact that your department store mongoose has worked for you for 9 years means that you're coming from a different perspective than everyone else here. So ignoring a lot of the replies makes sense, even if they're completely reasonable.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    Hawk -

    Does this mean your skill level has remained consistent over nine years?

    If my skill level has increased over the ten years I've been serious about biking (say enough to wear out my tires) and my disposable income and learned skill allows me to build a bike from scratch (from the frame up) over $150 - say $1,000 or maybe even more than a car at $7,000 - $8,000. Does this mean I'm part of the band wagon you find problematic in the enthusiast mindset?

    Your point of view is very curious. I find it even more intriguing that folks have made helpful, accommodating suggestions that have seemingly been ignored by you.
    Well honestly its marginal, I mean 18 trips isn't much in 9 years honestly. But I have managed learning some down hill braking, and cornering on dirt and gravel and washed out roads.

    So I haven't got "much" invested now. But why I am not going to invest more than I ride at the moment.

  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wacha Wacha Wacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk258 View Post
    Well honestly its marginal, I mean 18 trips isn't much in 9 years honestly. But I have managed learning some down hill braking, and cornering on dirt and gravel and washed out roads.

    So I haven't got "much" invested now. But why I am not going to invest more than I ride at the moment.
    That's completely understandable, from your perspective. I think most folks are just trying to save some headache as most people end up upgrading. In your case, you have to admit, riding a bike 18 times in 9 years puts you in a position to receive advice (despite some of the replies)...

    I am still curious about other questions I asked. For example, I started on a Giant Blah-Blah-Blah that had rim brakes and a three-ring chainring. Probably weighed 45 #s... Fast forward ten years and now I've got 4 incredible bikes and an indoor trainer. I did start from a humble bike but ended up moving up the "traditional" way.

    Is your take simply keep it cheap and upgrade later and that folks that can (and do) drop serious coin on bikes (even if they build it themselves in their garage) a problem? It's also peculiar that the forum name has absolutely no bearing on where this thread has gone.

    Honestly, I have to second scottzg's last response...

  11. #411
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    It's also peculiar that the forum name has absolutely no bearing on where this thread has gone.
    I agree. The title of the original post is, "Why is MTB tech stuck in the '50s & '60'?"

    I think of the improvements and advances in bikes made since then...

    • Frame materials
    • MTB geometry improvements
    • Wheel size
    • Disc brakes
    • Dropper posts
    • Threadless steerers
    • Thru axles
    • Integrated cranks
    • Sealed cassette bearings
    • Weight savings
    • Suspension components
    • Tubeless wheel systems
    • Advanced pedal/shoe systems
    • Drivetrain improvements
    • Composite wheel systems

    ... and more, and I can't help but wonder at the irony in the title of the original post. The OP's bike lacks nearly every single advancement listed above. Meanwhile those attempting to counsel him understand & enjoy the benefits of these advancements. Does this seem ironic to anyone else?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    That's completely understandable, from your perspective. I think most folks are just trying to save some headache as most people end up upgrading. In your case, you have to admit, riding a bike 18 times in 9 years puts you in a position to receive advice (despite some of the replies)...

    I am still curious about other questions I asked. For example, I started on a Giant Blah-Blah-Blah that had rim brakes and a three-ring chainring. Probably weighed 45 #s... Fast forward ten years and now I've got 4 incredible bikes and an indoor trainer. I did start from a humble bike but ended up moving up the "traditional" way.

    Is your take simply keep it cheap and upgrade later and that folks that can (and do) drop serious coin on bikes (even if they build it themselves in their garage) a problem? It's also peculiar that the forum name has absolutely no bearing on where this thread has gone.

    Honestly, I have to second scottzg's last response...
    I have no specific issue with any of you "that drop big coin" on bikes.

    My issue is trusting my self not to trash a $500+ bike while learning but also accepting that I have reached a few fundamental limits of my bike.

    And a "few" upgrades could address those. Like better gears, derailleurs and breaks and a more stable fork.

    Now yes, for the money "I could buy a used bike" but unless I know what to look for in damages and identity defects. It seems to me like both options end up the same. I end up with a busted bike.

    It did.

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wacha Wacha Wacha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk258 View Post
    Now yes, for the money "I could buy a used bike" but unless I know what to look for in damages and identity defects. It seems to me like both options end up the same. I end up with a busted bike.

    It did.
    I think most folks here would support you buying a used bike. There were several recommendations from other posters on craigslist. I think the real issue is no one is going to recommend you go purchase a bike that has historically been known to cause injury to a novice rider and lead to expensive repairs.

    You are peculiar in the fact that you have only ridden your bike eighteen times in nine years. If your intention is to buy a bike and ride it eighteen - twenty times in nine or ten years, this is probably not the forum for you. Those that regularly browse these forums are interested in talking more about bikes and know a lot more about bikes than some can give credit for.

    Go buy or "supe" up a bike and ride it three more times this year and you'll make everyone here happy (beats your yearly average for the last decade).

    Tinker away, Batman.

  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    I think most folks here would support you buying a used bike. There were several recommendations from other posters on craigslist. I think the real issue is no one is going to recommend you go purchase a bike that has historically been known to cause injury to a novice rider and lead to expensive repairs.

    You are peculiar in the fact that you have only ridden your bike eighteen times in nine years. If your intention is to buy a bike and ride it eighteen - twenty times in nine or ten years, this is probably not the forum for you. Those that regularly browse these forums are interested in talking more about bikes and know a lot more about bikes than some can give credit for.

    Go buy or "supe" up a bike and ride it three more times this year and you'll make everyone here happy (beats your yearly average for the last decade).

    Tinker away, Batman.
    They would... because from my perspective i see a guy standing on the outside looking in. And it might appear I might have a sucker.

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    203
    Okay I get it. I'll see myself out. Point made. Time money and blood. I didn't put enough in for ya.

  16. #416
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    So, what have we learned from all this?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  17. #417
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SingleSpeedSteven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Was I unclear when I said my "crazy noob claim" was not meant as a de facto statement?
    Perhaps I was. Ill clarify: "My reference to distance versus time was not meant as a de facto statement".
    Is that clear enough?

    So, you are a super-skilled driver. Would you care to race your car against an identical car for a set distance and see who gets to the end first?
    You launch and stay in 3rd gear. The other car uses the full range of gears.

    You would win, right?
    Your analogy is beyond stupid. The power range and output of a car is vastly different than that of a human.
    I have 2 bikes, a single speed and an "expensive superbike" (Hawks words, not mine). I'll happily let you borrow my carbon full suspension with gears and I'll ride the single speed and we can race. I'll even pound a few beers first.

  18. #418
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    Is there another cycling format that matches the speed of the velodrome? What kind of bikes do they ride?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  19. #419
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,796
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    So, what have we learned from all this?
    That Hawk chooses to stand on the outside looking in despite being shown where the nearby door is and invited in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  20. #420
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,901
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    So, what have we learned from all this?



    That some people just don't want to join the tribe.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

    It ain't supposed to be easy.

  21. #421
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: sXeXBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk258 View Post
    Okay I get it. I'll see myself out. Point made. Time money and blood. I didn't put enough in for ya.
    I think more people would rather see you come in, get a decent frame to build on, and then ride 2 times a week, rather than 2 times a year....but whatever you want to do
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

    15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10,824
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    So, what have we learned from all this?


    That if you only ride twice a year a Huffy can last at least 9 years.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  23. #423
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,790
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That if you only ride twice a year a Huffy can last at least 9 years.
    That's a bold claim. I would think it matters where you ride it those two times a year.

    Seth's didn't even last for one ride.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  24. #424
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,155
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    So, what have we learned from all this?
    That entertainment can be cheap.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Was I unclear when I said my "crazy noob claim" was not meant as a de facto statement?
    Perhaps I was. Ill clarify: "My reference to distance versus time was not meant as a de facto statement".
    Is that clear enough?

    So, you are a super-skilled driver. Would you care to race your car against an identical car for a set distance and see who gets to the end first?
    You launch and stay in 3rd gear. The other car uses the full range of gears.

    You would win, right?
    Go ride a single speed for Christ sake.

    Cars are not the same thing as pedal powered bike.

    Also as far as your claim about Rampage and single speed (in the other thread), quite a few freeriders do run single speed often using a gutted Shimano Zee derailleurs as chain tensioners. Also there is the SB One chain tensioner that is developed for freeriding.

  26. #426
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk258 View Post
    Okay I get it. I'll see myself out. Point made. Time money and blood. I didn't put enough in for ya.
    Nope, you just lack humility and common sense. Feel free to come back for help when you have those. The door is always open and we'll leave the light on.

  27. #427
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10,824
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    That's a bold claim. I would think it matters where you ride it those two times a year.

    Seth's didn't even last for one ride.



    Yep, that's why I said it "can" last that long instead of it "will" last that long.


    If you never ride them they can last for decades.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  28. #428
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,790
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    If you never ride them they can last for decades.
    There is the "can" again.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  29. #429
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    So, what have we learned from all this?
    I've learned that it's okay to quote myself and respond to my own post in a way that agrees with and reaffirms my own ideas.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  30. #430
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,871
    I am reminded of a car I saw once several decades ago. Way back when, there was a Toyota model called the Corona. The 60's version were as ugly a car as you will ever see, and cheap as heck. But reliable transportation.

    I saw one once, probably around 1978 or so, that has expensive rims and tires, a wing mounted on the trunk for aerodynamic efficiency, and various other body enhancements.

    I have no doubt the guy driving it was as proud of that car as a man can be.

    To me, it was a vast waste of money.

    But who cares what I think. He's happy and that's all that mattered.

    I drive what I want and he drives what he wants and that's the end of it.

    Same thing applies here.

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Same thing applies here.


    Not really, I owned a 63 Corona and that thing was a well built machine.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Same thing applies here.
    no it doesn't. OP was insisting on pimping out a Ford Pinto.

    [edit- I hate automotive metaphors for bikes. they fall pretty short, even for a metaphor]

  33. #433
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    I'm not sure that there really is a good parallel for this in the automotive world.

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Your analogy is beyond stupid. The power range and output of a car is vastly different than that of a human.
    I have 2 bikes, a single speed and an "expensive superbike" (Hawks words, not mine). I'll happily let you borrow my carbon full suspension with gears and I'll ride the single speed and we can race. I'll even pound a few beers first.
    So, you want to compare two different bikes being ridden by two different riders.
    And I'M the stupid one?

    The ANALOGY (look it up) regards two means of transport that have a)power source b) force multiplication connected to the power source c)output ultimately caused by the power source
    It's really not that difficult to make the connection.
    Did you know that horsepower is not always produced by horses?
    Analogies. Like stupid people, they're everywhere.


    If you had a whit of sense, you'd know that you minimize the variables as much as possible when you are comparing things (is it causal, or mechanistic analysis?)
    You'd compare the same bike with two different riders to learn about the riders.
    You'd compare different bikes with the same rider to learn about the bikes.

    Troubleshooting is done similarly. One variable at a time. Unless you work for a car dealership, then you just replace every part in the problem chain.

    What exactly does comparing two different bikes using two different riders tell you?
    Maybe that a BMX rider wouldn't do well in Tour de France? Maybe a TDF rider would not do well in BMX? Maybe a 50lb DH bike would not be a blast to ride XC?
    (i.e. not a lot of useful info).

  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,252
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    no it doesn't. OP was insisting on pimping out a Ford Pinto.
    Which isn't a big deal, I mean who cares what other people waste their time on really?

    But when you drive around in a Yugo held together with duct tape, why would you go on to a muscle car forum and start telling everyone else you invented muscle cars and they're all just a bunch of posers because they don't fix cracked blocks with JB Weld. Which is what the OP did, and what makes him a tool.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,252
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I've learned that it's okay to quote myself and respond to my own post in a way that agrees with and reaffirms my own ideas.
    I learned what the Dunning-Kruger effect is, and was able to spot at least 3 obvious 'victims' of it just in this thread!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  37. #437
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    I'll give it a try. I think it's kind of like putting car parts on a kid's power wheel and thinking it has become something other than a toy.

    Name:  power-wheels-escalade-black-for-kids.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  77.7 KB
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  38. #438
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm not sure that there really is a good parallel for this in the automotive world.
    Yeah there really isn't.

    I have seen some wicked Pintos, Gremlins, even a Yugo.

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    and i'm the stupid one?
    yes

  40. #440
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    MTB tech is stuck in the '50s and '60s? Rubbish! But the OP is stuck on a very bad idea.

    What I don't understand is why anyone is wasting time trying to change his mind. A brick will be a brick no matter how hard you persuade it to be otherwise.
    yep, time for this thread to die. The Op and rob are unable to be reasonable in the face of many reasonable arguments to the contrary of what they think to be true.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 08:26 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 12:09 AM
  3. To Ice Tech or not to Ice Tech?
    By CrozCountry in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Members who have read this thread: 444

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.