Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Let's just wheelie!
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I never edited my post. And that post wasnít directed at you even though it seemed it was as I explained following that post. I can assure you though that it was never edited. I donít know where you saw what you claim you saw. Maybe someone with some tech skills, like a mod could go in and confirm my post was never edited. Maybe you saw what you claim in someone elseís post and mistakenly thought it was mine. Post #81 is the one you claim I edited. Any technical gurus out there that can look in and see it was never edited? Not that it matters, I just donít like to be falsely called out on something that never happened.
    Not edited, but the image originally present in post 81 is no longer there or in any of the quoted posts. If you didn't pull that image, I apologize for suggesting that you didn.
    Unicycle, promoting unity and cycling by being hard to ride since 1866.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyontheTrail View Post
    Not edited, but the image originally present in post 81 is no longer there or in any of the quoted posts. If you didn't pull that image, I apologize for suggesting that you didn.
    Apology accepted, but to reiterate there was never a photo there. I purposely gave that post a large space between my next sentence as part of the suspense.

Hereís a screen shot of the post for reference. Never was a photo there.

Why is innovation shunned?-db693649-398d-4d15-9564-70dccb76505a.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

(this was posted in the Craigslist WTF? forum)
    It's being developed by Ford....found a pic. of the working prototype...

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  14.1 KB
    Can I be the one to say it?

Looks flexy.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Out spokin'

(this was posted in the Craigslist WTF? forum)
    Looks far superior to one of those silly aftermarket car racks for transporting your bike. Love the "tune-able suspension charactics" concept. Genius, I tell you.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by endurosquatch View Post
    This is puzzling.

Droppers were not in their infancy in '11.

I had a remote dropper on my 2005 5Spot. In 2006.
    PowerPost would be the 'infancy' of MTB dropper posts. 1995ish.

Also, evolution and innovation aren't the same thing.
    True innovation is almost non-existent. Goofy seat designs aren't it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    It's being developed by Ford....found a pic. of the working prototype...

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  14.1 KB
    Can I be the one to say it?

Looks flexy.
    But worth it. I filled mine with helium and it weighs negative 2 pounds! It literally "floats" down the trails.*

*not for use where thorns may be present. Or with a rider onboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandals View Post
    Best innovation Iíve had on a bicycle were inverted forks, rear shock linkage, and a 200cc 2-stroke engine. Iíd have preferred an electric start but you have to draw the line somewhere when youíre innovating. /sarcasm

Iíve watched riders shun e-bikes
    not sure if serious. I know this has been discussed to death, but an emtb is not a mountain bike. I'll accept any gizmo you can put on a bike to make it more capable and more fun, but as soon as you put a motor on it, all bets are off. keep that sh*t off our trails, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    not sure if serious. I know this has been discussed to death, but an emtb is not a mountain bike. I'll accept any gizmo you can put on a bike to make it more capable and more fun, but as soon as you put a motor on it, all bets are off. keep that sh*t off our trails, too.
    Some of the motor integrations are pretty innovative. If an electric assist gets or keeps more people biking then I donít see why it is shunned. If it is just an electric dirt bike then I agree that it shouldnít be on a bike only trail.

mtbr member
    I don't think we need more people on my local trails. it's already full of idiots who constantly sanitize the features and ride muddy trails. these same idiots with motorized bikes would make the problem much worse.

while we're at it, lets use drones to fly discs more accurately into the goals at disc golf courses. I'll start riding a Segway in the local road foot races instead of running. why bother reading when you can just watch the movie? instead of hitting the gold ball with a club, i'll just drive the cart over to the hole and drop it in by hand- hole in one, every time!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikers in the 1980s
    I don't think we need mountain bikers on my local trails. it's already full of us good hikers, we don't need bicyclists which would ruin the trails. these idiots with bicycles would make the problem much worse.
    Modified that for ya, Mack. AKA "I've got mine" Syndrome.

Sorry my friend, but this thing is all perspective. There are idiots within every discipline. As my favorite USFS trail manager has said, "It's not what we ride, it's how we ride." This land manager hikes, mountain bikes and rides off-road motorcycles and more. On PNW singletrack. Where legal only, of course. He's responsible for creating new local trails on USFS land in recent years. He builds bridges, literally and figuratively. He inspires many of us to get out and steward the land.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I don't think we need more people on my local trails. it's already full of idiots who constantly sanitize the features and ride muddy trails. these same idiots with motorized bikes would make the problem much worse.

while we're at it, lets use drones to fly discs more accurately into the goals at disc golf courses. I'll start riding a Segway in the local road foot races instead of running. why bother reading when you can just watch the movie? instead of hitting the gold ball with a club, i'll just drive the cart over to the hole and drop it in by hand- hole in one, every time!
    I agree that the way to limit the number of people on trails is to make mountain biking less appealing or less enjoyable. Personally I donít believe that anything more advanced than a 1980ís era BMX has any place on my trails. I believe that if we can make biking into a thoroughly negative experience the trails will be empty and my LBS wonít have a backlog of work that would prevent them from tuning up my Schwinn Stingray before the next Enduro race.

mtbr member
    time will prove me right, and prove the e-mtb apologists wrong. there's nothing I can do about it so I'll stop complaining. I've said my bit for the record.

I'll never understand this drive to wussify everything. give everyone a participation trophy for buying an expensive toy.

get off my lawn

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Adding a motor to a bicycle hasn't been an innovation for well over a century.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Innovation shunned *gasp*. Amazing how some ingenious innovations never made it past the prototype.

Why is innovation shunned?-0a72b474-abf1-430f-83f7-e9c8ca826864.jpeg

One ring to mash them all
    ^HellNO
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    time will prove me right, and prove the e-mtb apologists wrong. there's nothing I can do about it so I'll stop complaining. I've said my bit for the record.

I'll never understand this drive to wussify everything. give everyone a participation trophy for buying an expensive toy.

get off my lawn
    The current trend in Europe and sales in the US is clearly proving you wrong. There's no reason to believe that will change unless it's made illegal against popular demand.

It's about recreation; not some macho BS to "wussify everything." No one cares about your macho attitude and nor do they want a participation trophy. Just to get out an enjoy themselves.

I don't have an e-bike and currently have no intention on getting one. I recognize it's just a pedal assit bike and doesn't do any more or less harm to trails than any other user.

New e-bikes aren't an innovation anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    The current trend in Europe and sales in the US is clearly proving you wrong. There's no reason to believe that will change unless it's made illegal against popular demand.
    I am not saying they are not selling. I am saying that the overall effect on mountain biking will be negative. Yes that is my subjective judgment and I stand by it. Putting motors on anything and everything is dragging humanity down. there's nothing macho about telling people that they would be better off in the long run by challenging their bodies rather than relying on technology to make everything as easy as possible. it will also be better for the rest of us in the long run to keep those shitty motorized bikes off public trails for a variety of reasons that have already been discussed a million times.

Why is innovation shunned?-dcb699613957429f9a8b33ee87cb3cd0.jpg

Nat
    mtbr member
    If you think about it, most inventions (including bicycles) were designed to reduce work. Pick something around you and see if it qualifies.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If you think about it, most inventions (including bicycles) were designed to reduce work. Pick something around you and see if it qualifies.
    MTBR forums.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    But let's face it, a lot of it was designed so we can do more work, not less!

mtbr member
    But let's face it, a lot of it was designed so we can do more work, not less!
    Hmm, what you two imply is similar, but I suppose there are slight differences:

- Do a standard task with less energy/effort/time spent.

- Do more with the same energy/effort/time spent.

The amount of how much more you can do with the same effort can gauge how great the innovation is. Probably why "innovations" like Boost are criticized--there's just not much gained, especially considering for how much you pay to upgrade to it (frame and wheels, and the cost of divesting).

Makes me wonder which things motivate/inspire you to put out even more effort. I think this feeling, for me, is the "new bike stoke effect". "Innovations" that really change things up for the better, being very well suited for the task at hand, give me this motivation to put out more effort for at least a couple seasons. Pretty rare/special to find something so awesome that you go out of your way to look for opportunities to put it to use.

Cycologist
    I was referring to "inventions" in the work place. I remember seeing things written long ago about how machinery, etc would reduce a person's workweek down to 30 hours. But of course, they don't; you're just expected to get more work done with fewer people.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Probably why "innovations" with small windows like Boost are criticized. There's just not much gained for how much you pay for it.
    You see this point frequently and always makes me roll my eyes. People who update a component just because itís new are the problem theyíre complaining about.

If youíre someone who absolutely canít ride their bike anymore because some new standard has come out, then yes, itís expensive to update for no reason. Otherwise itís just in the cost of a new bike whenever you replace your current one. People flipped out over the cost of an XX1 drivetrain when it was released. How many people completely replaced their drivetrain and rear hub on their existing bike or bought a new bike just for that? But now many people are riding single ring drive trains after replacing a bike in that 5 years.

Or the classic complaint about ďthe industryĒ trying to convince you that you need a new bike. Who cares. Bike companies need to sell bikes. I subscribe to Bike and Dirt Rag. Most months I donít bother reading the bike reviews. Theyíre irrelevant when Iím not in the market.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post

It's about recreation; not some macho BS to "wussify everything." No one cares about your macho attitude and nor do they want a participation trophy. Just to get out an enjoy themselves.

I don't have an e-bike and currently have no intention on getting one. I recognize it's just a pedal assit bike and doesn't do any more or less harm to trails than any other user.

New e-bikes aren't an innovation anyway.

The overwhelming majority of e-motorbikes sold are for paved road and path use. E-motormtb's make up a minuscule number of those sales and the numbers that have legal places to ride them on trails is even smaller yet.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Out spokin'
    I was referring to "inventions" in the work place. I remember seeing things written long ago about how machinery, etc would reduce a person's workweek down to 30 hours. But of course, they don't; you're just expected to get more work done with fewer people.
    "It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster."
    --Greg LeMond

=s
    disciplesofdirt.org

Let's just wheelie!
    Sep 2018
    Apology accepted, but to reiterate there was never a photo there. I purposely gave that post a large space between my next sentence as part of the suspense.

Hereís a screen shot of the post for reference. Never was a photo there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB693649-398D-4D15-9564-70DCCB76505A.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1223715
    I'm waving the BS flag on that. There was a screenshot present or there would have been no reason to post the "Here" and the big space. Sorry, I don't buy any of that. I know what I saw.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    I'm waving the BS flag on that. There was a screenshot present or there would have been no reason to post the "Here" and the big space. Sorry, I don't buy any of that. I know what I saw.

It should be archived, no?
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Let's just wheelie!
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    I dunno. It was there when I replied with quote.

mtbr member
    I remember seeing things written long ago about how machinery, etc would reduce a person's workweek down to 30 hours.
    Nothing's changed there, they still pitch the same nonsense. Infact the latest is the worforce will become so efficient in the future do to automation we will need large scale social welfare to make capatalism work.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nat
    mtbr member
    You guys... Seriously.

All I can say is, WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Anybody tech savvy enough to prove to him there was never a photo or screen shot there? Please be my guest as this is getting ridiculous.

Out spokin'
    All I can say is, WOW!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1Xt3T9ZnY

Anybody tech savvy enough to prove to him there was never a photo or screen shot there? Please be my guest as this is getting ridiculous.
    I specifically didn't see anything in that space -- ever. There.

I mean... Here.

=sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am not saying they are not selling. I am saying that the overall effect on mountain biking will be negative. Yes that is my subjective judgment and I stand by it. Putting motors on anything and everything is dragging humanity down. there's nothing macho about telling people that they would be better off in the long run by challenging their bodies rather than relying on technology to make everything as easy as possible. it will also be better for the rest of us in the long run to keep those shitty motorized bikes off public trails for a variety of reasons that have already been discussed a million times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dcb699613957429f9a8b33ee87cb3cd0.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1223767
    People benefit much more from reduction in stress and an increase in happiness. For many people the exercise we find fun would increase their stress and decrease happiness (probably won't find them on any trails either way). You also have those who would enjoy the pain and effort we put ourselves through but their bodies aren't capable of it for various reasons.

If it isn't wrecking the trail I'm not going to stand in someone's way for trying to enjoy life.

Back to the thread. I've been thinking about useful innovations within cycling since this thread started and slowly realized it covers my entire mtb and road bike.
    Tubeless rims/tires, disc brakes, dropper posts, bigger tires, geometry/fit, stronger rim construction, 1x drive trans, road bikes with 650b tires that can go anywhere, electronic shifting and tons of other things have made modern bikes nothing short of awesome. They're all updates from the original inventions which is what innovation is.

It's way more than just the bikes themselves too. Training apps with smart trainers make staying in peak fitness easy and leave you with one less excuse to skip a workout. GPS devices and trail apps that help you navigate back country trails you've never been on before. Gels, waffles, drink mixes and other various sources of energy keep us riding longer without needing to pack 4+ sandwiches for 8 hours in the saddle.

I think the innovations that usually get shunned are those just trying to make a buck off something they can sell to suckers. The zip on tires kinda fall into that. I've ridden in snow/ice, gravel, and single track trail with pure summer road cycling tires on a road bike. Ice could use studs but you certainly don't need a zip on tire for every different surface and condition. For the shark fin saddle, it's tough to find a comfy road bike saddle for 100+ miles so people will try desperate things.

Cycologist
    I dunno. It was there when I replied with quote.
    Ok, I don't want to get in the middle of this however, when you quoted him, the image would have appeared as well. Now if he went back and deleted the image from his post, it would still remain in your quote. I guess if he went in and deleted the image from his library, it would probably delete from your quote. But I believe it would show as a missing image, the little icon with a question mark as the code would still be there for an image but it could no longer locate the image.

I don't know what happened and I don't think either one of you meant/means the other ill. I think it would be best if we could all just move on and forget about it.

mtbr member
    I found the missing "image"!

Why is innovation shunned?-fb_img_1540516690117.jpg
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

jcd's best friend
    I thought innovation was shunned when someone started calling a basic bicycle an "analog bike."
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You do know that in forums you can use the return/enter key to make multiple ďblank spacesĒ, right?

Like this, I mean here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I thought intelligence was shunned when someone started calling a basic bicycle an "analog bike."
    fify

mtbr member
    I resisted tubeless tires at first, but they were kind of a PITA when they started out.

disc brakes and suspension were totally mainstream when I started riding mountain bikes a little over a decade ago. coming from a BMX background, I wanted a minimalist bike that would give me the most unadulterated experience of just pedaling and conquering the terrain. I have slowly, gradually accepted things, but only after they have proven to be minimally error-prone and economically accessible. I set a low bar for how much I am willing to spend on something that I know has a short life and needs a lot of maintenance. that bit rubs me the wrong way too- it seems irresponsible, economically, socially, personally, environmentally, to buy stuff you know is not going to last and end up in a landfill in 1/10 the time a more durable, cheaper alternative would. honestly, when someone says that the life of a frame they just bought for $2-3k is 4-5 years, that sounds absolutely insane to me. throw-away society and all that.

I was profoundly affected by Brave New World when I ride it as a teenager, and several times after that. in chapter 2, the director demonstrates how babies are trained to subconsciously hate nature, he says "We condition the masses to hate the country, but simultaneously we condition them to love all country sports. At the same time, we see to it that all country sports shall entail the use of elaborate apparatus. So that they consume manufactured articles as well as transport." sounds familiar.

give it a few years and I'll probably be on a mid-fat carbon e-droppered e-shifting bike if i can afford it, but I'll be the last person to adopt those things. if money was no object, I'd give those things a try, but buying some new whiz-bang item means I have to take money out of the budget for things that I know will benefit my experience. that's a big driving factor for most of us with average incomes- you have to pry money out of our greasy working-class hands first. putting a motor on the bike is where I draw a red line.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 1 Week Ago at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I wonder what the internal diameter is on that rear rim? Also, instead of stopping to fix a flat, would you have to stop to tie the shoe?
    OMG I about died with laughter on the "... stop to tie a shoe" part.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    I wonder why the buzz around Allite Super Magnesium isn't more widespread.

I got the impression that it had strong potential to be the most popular material on the market for things currently made of aluminum and carbon fiber, as long as supply kept up. It's the tweener option between the two, that people may have been demanding.

20% more dense than carbon. 33% less dense than 6061-T6 (stiffer and stronger, w/20x the shock absorption). 50% less than Ti. 75% less than steel.

They state that it melts and is corrosion resistant, unlike typical magnesium.

Wonder what else holds possibilities, besides the 3D lattice printed stuff...

This place needs an enema

Why is innovation shunned?

It's mostly chemical. Check out 'What the Bleep do we know anyway?"

People are wired to want repeat hits of the same stuff over and over, even though there are diminishing returns to be had there.

With a teeny, tiny mental tweak they could get the same hit from new things. But few do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12