Why don't roadies use camelbaks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why don't roadies use camelbaks?

Just curious, especially since I'm doing more and more road miles: Why don't more roadies use camelbaks? I've been doing a lot of road riding the past 6 weeks and I've only seen one other rider with one.
    I just assume use my camelbak and keep the tools I already use for mtb'ing. The things I like are: I can get a drink quicker, stay in position, and still keep my eyes on the hrm, speed, etc.

Any thoughts from fellow roadies.

Lou.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Because they clash with helmet visors. Oh wait, roadies don't wear helmet visors either.

IMO, it's because Lance and Jan and Tyler don't.

Jul 2004
    I love your signature

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Just curious, especially since I'm doing more and more road miles: Why don't more roadies use camelbaks? I've been doing a lot of road riding the past 6 weeks and I've only seen one other rider with one.
    I just assume use my camelbak and keep the tools I already use for mtb'ing. The things I like are: I can get a drink quicker, stay in position, and still keep my eyes on the hrm, speed, etc.

Lou.
    Here's the definitive answer: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...ight=camelbaks

mtbr member

Lou.

I see 25-30% of the roadies in my area with camelbacks. But then again, northern california is a little more laid back than some of the other areas. The brutal ones up here are the "tri-geeks" (they named themselves, I swear!) If you don't see them doing it on ESPN they won't do it.

Jun 2004
    They weigh too many g.'s

"El Whatever"
    One hit roadies are missing... A camelback does the same that the trailing tip of an aero helmet. It's simply more aerodinamically efficient. It helps reduce the low pressure area behind your head and hence drag.

Not stylish but efficient.
    Check my Site

It's about showing up.

Roadies are slow to give up traditions.

It doesn't matter if the change makes sense; "it just isn't done," is often heard. Roadies in Europe resist helmets and are resisting a high cadence method of riding and triple chainrings. They use bottles...
    I primarily ride mtb and am an mtb'er at heart. Two large botttles get me pretty far and my back is cooler without a camelback on the road.
    On the dirt I use a camelback because I carry a lot more stuff which I use or may need and few trails end up at stores.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It is not cool

Uncool to ride the road with a camelback. Also unneccessary. 2 bottles will always get you to a store where you can refill and refuel. You do not need to be as self sufficient on the road. Roadies like to carry money and spend it.

Rollin' a fatty
    This is easy, they don't use visors or hydration packs because they'll look like us. Here roadies hate mountainbikers and the last thing that they want is share the same look.

mtbr member
    I just looked at the roadbikereview site and I'm just amazed. Not riding with one simply because "it's not done" is ridiculous. Having a system that's able to hold more water, keep it cooler longer, and easier to drink from and not using it because it's a fashion faux-pas is crazy.
    Better not let anyone see me wearing my Specialized mtb shoes with time pedals on the road.
    I like this quote...
    If you don't care what others think, then wear your Camelbak. My suggestion is to let your riding speak for itself, and wear whatever you want.
    Lou.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

paintbucket
    I don't know about roadies in general, but this roadie a) would rather have the weight on the bike, b) likes the breeze blowing across his back, and c) can ride with one hand while drinking knowing he's not gonna hit a root or rock and crash.

I'd use bottles on the trail too except for a and c.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Sep 2004
    I've never been a road rider and I don't understand why they would want to stop at a store to get a drink. Why would you go out on a ride knowing you have to stop somewhere?

mtbr member

What about....

Quote Originally Posted by barrows
    Uncool to ride the road with a camelback. Also unneccessary. 2 bottles will always get you to a store where you can refill and refuel. You do not need to be as self sufficient on the road. Roadies like to carry money and spend it.
    A pump, tube and levers/tools?

mtbr member

Some reasons...

Mixing Cytomax in a Camelback sucks!! So does cleaning it out.
    Camelbacks are hot and irritating on your back. The only reason I ride with one is because I carry a pump. Haven't made the switch to CO2 yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    A couple of options:
    1. Seat bag
    2. Jersey pockets
    3. Attached to seat post

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm
    I've never been a road rider and I don't understand why they would want to stop at a store to get a drink. Why would you go out on a ride knowing you have to stop somewhere?
    Longer rides, sometimes stopping for water is also a nice chance to stretch your legs too. I also agree about the energy drinks in camelbaks, that would be way messy and heck to clean out. I don't know if I would be able to carry enough water in a camel bak 80+ miles. Some mtn bike rides have to detour to a stream for water and require riders to either have a purfication filter or a purfication tablet thing.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroG
    With CO2, frame and mini-pumps kinda went the way of the dinosaur.... road tube (much smaller than mtb) and levers are all that some carry, heck some just carry quick patches and some tires don't even need levers to get off the rim. With 2 bottles in cages, a small seat bag, and jersey pockets for anything else, what more do you need? Tools? Naw, roads bikes are much less prone to mechanicals (and flats), and it anything all one needs for most adjustments are 5mm and 6mm allen wrenches. Remember, alot of roadies have been doin' it since before the camelbak was invented and those dogs don't easily learn new tricks.

Ride what you want!!
    Camelbaks are generally overkill for a road bike, they're hot and heavy. A road bike is all about being light nimble and quick. You don't need a slew of tools and tubes. Most road rides I've been on have determined rest stops where you can grab a snack, stretch, top off your water, and regroup. Even in a race there will be feed zones to grab a quick water bottle if you're running low.

Except for the hottest days, I never go through two large water bottles during a 40-50 mile road ride. And on the hottest days, I really don't want a camelbak on to get me even hotter. I'd rather stop and refill the water bottle.

george
    Last edited by george_da_trog; 09-14-2004 at 07:14 AM.
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member

Litterbugs

Because they're too expensive to throw away when empty.
    Last edited by pacman; 09-14-2004 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Title

mtbr member
    I gotta say, man, some of those posts were lol funny.

I have to ask the question.. Why does what you drink your watter out of ALWAYS turn into such a heated debate? Who gives a flying rats a$$ what Rodie Q drinks out of 3000 miles away on the other side of the country? I don't. And I don't see anyone forcing me to drink out of anything I don't want to either.. Boggles the mind..

Jan 2004
    Roadies don't wear visors because you they CAN'T SEE WITH THEM. Get on a roadbike and use the helmet visor. Your neck will hurt in about 2 minutes from forcing your head up high enough to see. Then grab onto the drops and you will simply not be able to see forward at all. Your body lies too flat on the bike for it to be usefull. There are even some sunglasses I can't use on a RB because the top of the frame is too low and impedes vision when I'm trying to look forward. Camel Backs as mentioned above are simply overkill for a road bike. The two water bottle holders on the frame are more than enough for all but the longest of rides. Road tubes are so small you can easily fit 2 or 3 in your jersey and only take the space of one MTB tube. Tools, CO2 and everything else you need easily fits into the jersey pockets with room to spare. Most camel backs have terrible aerodynamics and for any serious roadie that is a big deal. Somehow I can't imagine trying to squeeze 45+ mph out of my roadbike with my MULE strapped to my back. Its a gigantic airbrake and simply a bad idea when riding a bike that already puts your back in a pretty straining posture. There are a few aerodynamic camel backs but that defeats the purpose since you can't fit anything inside and they dont hold much more water than the two bottles you can carry on your frame. You are also mistaken about pro roadies not using them. A few riders in the pro peloton DO use camel backs on their time trial bikes. The bikes don't carry bottles for aerodynamic reasons. Notice the hunch of some riders underneath the jersey in the time trial suits. That hunch is a small camel back. I believe Boby Julich (Bronze medal winner) used one in the olympic TT. For the rest of the rides is just unecessary weight/drag since there are feed zones.

Jan 2004
    Julich wearing a camel back in the olympic time trial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

don't like the weight up high

i prefer not to use a camelbak for most road rides because the extra weight up high makes me less comfortable. i have tried it, and just didn't like it. i can drink from my water bottles without looking at them.

fwiw, i ride on the road with a helmet visor, mtb shoes, full finger gloves, etc, so it's not like i'm trying to conform or maintain the roadie look.

mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Mid-Level Functionary
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Just curious... Why don't more roadies use camelbaks?
    They don't come in pink?

hehe... I kill me.
    Guess what? I gotta fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggystyle
    They don't come in pink?

hehe... I kill me.
    They do come in pink with aquamarine trim and matching earings and pumps!
    Oops! That was bad. LOL

Sep 2003
    [/i]From the Linked Thread[/i]
    Agree.......It just isn't done.
    You have to decide if you want to be a "Roadie", or just a guy on a road bike.
    Ha!

Nuff said.

Seriously though, judging by the other thread plenty of roadies do wear camelbaks on long rides where no water is available along the way. Another great quote:

Alot of the its not cool crowd have zero idea about why their urine looks like it came out of a Mrs Butterworths bottle after a ride and then brag about how long the hard ride took to recover from. Actually, its a freakish need to punish themselves from dehydrating themselves.....oh well......

Jan 2003
    not only do i not use one on the road, i don't use one off road unless it's gonna be a particularly long ride. i'm in florida, so the heat is pretty oppressive 10 months out of the year and the back gets very uncomfortable. that, and the sloshing bugs me.

and as for a visor, it's just one more thing to get caught on a low-hanging, got-knocked-over-by-the-most-recent-hurricane-or-maybe-the-one-before-it tree, so i don't use them either.

i too ride on the road with my performance mtb shoes with metal stud and eggbeaters, so the image is lost on me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geddy2112
    I love your signature
    I love your screen name and signature....

'.....ooooh we've taken care of everything, the words you read, the songs you sing....."

Related content. "What everyone else said:
    two bottles good for 50+ miles
    cool air on the back
    no roots to contend with

I LOVE mountainbike rides where I can get away with just a bottle or two, it is like a new kind of freedom.....

Jun 2003

Not UCI legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    One hit roadies are missing... A camelback does the same that the trailing tip of an aero helmet. It's simply more aerodinamically efficient. It helps reduce the low pressure area behind your head and hence drag.

Not stylish but efficient.
    For this very reason, the UCI has restricted the use of a hudration bladder on the rider's back.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    For this very reason, the UCI has restricted the use of a hudration bladder on the rider's back.
    heh...the fact that its against UCI regulations was too simple a reason for a lot of posters in this thread it seems.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Thank you for bringing this up... some said a CB it's like a air brake. Far from truth.

Behind the rider's head and back a low pressure (vacuum) area is formed which attracts the air passing around the rider forming turbulences (know as Karman's vortexes) which increase the drag as actually all this scenario is "pulling" the rider back.

With a CB or anything alike the flow around these areas is improved (by reducing the "flatness" of the rider's back and giving a more drop-like shape) reducing drag.
    Check my Site

Sep 2003
    UCI? Are there roadies who do not race? Or is it kind of like the burning bush from the bible: UCI hath spoken and thou shalt obey?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Thank you for bringing this up... some said a CB it's like a air brake. Far from truth.
    Dude, the average camelback designed mainly around a MTB rider is a big hunk of mass with no areodynamic advantage whatsoever. Thats without even considering the weight. It's just a big block of mass sticking out of your back no matter which way you look at it. There ARE some camel backs like what I posted above in the picture and they are used as you can see but only under very specific circumstances. Like I said before, they have no significant (if any) storage room, and hardly hold any more water than two bottles.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Dude, the average camelback designed mainly around a MTB rider is a big hunk of mass with no areodynamic advantage whatsoever. Thats without even considering the weight. It's just a big block of mass sticking out of your back no matter which way you look at it. There ARE some camel backs like what I posted above in the picture and they are used as you can see but only under very specific circumstances. Like I said before, they have no significant (if any) storage room, and hardly hold any more water than two bottles.
    I partially agree with you... who said it has to be perfectly smooth to help aerodynamics?? It just need to be back there to combat the vacuum formed behind you. It's not like that simple but is better than nothing aerowise. Well strapped it's not much of a problem.

Now, it's a bulk? Yes. Is it a comfortable thing?? No. But that's another ticket. I guess we all agree that a raceboy will use anything to his advantage either it would be comfortable or not. In such case I can't see why some roadie would use a MULE or a Blowfish when he can use a Lobo or something sleeker

The UCI rulebook has some silly rules like this of the CB or that one that prohibites bikes under 6 (or 8??) kilos. It has some other good ones like "Thou shall not use EPO".
    Check my Site

Ride what you want!!
    As far as UCI goes, I think they changed some of that becuase Julich did use one during the tour TT. A TT is far different than the basic road ride.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFJosh
    that, and the sloshing bugs me.
    Turn the bladder upside-down, suck the air out using the valve you drink from. No air, no sloshing. Simple.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    That's the first thing I do when filling a bladder, makes it so much more managable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tired shoulder from hydro pack!

Sorry I'm a little late with the post, but I used to ride with a Cammelback HAWG, 100oz bladder, plenty of storage room. When I got done with a long ride I always found that it was my shoulders that were the most tired, not my legs. I would try do some stretching to keep them loose if possible while on the bike.

Last fall I got a road bike, and that got me heading towards riding road without a pack, just a seat pack and bottles with food in the jersey pocket. It is sooo much nicer riding without anything on your back. Anyway, I do some endurance racing, and I decided to also ditch the backpack for MTB. Guess what, I no longer get tired shoulders. Not at all. Wish I had figured that out sooner! It doesn't even bother me having to wait to drink because of rough trail. Unless I need to carry alot of water, I now ride both road and mtb with bottles/seatpack/jersey pockets. No pack. It is way more comfortable this way. You also save weight, and if you race you might care about that. Probably less expensive, too.

Shut Up, Legs!
    Mar 2004
    Bravo! They Camelback would cover up their Gay Team jerseys; teams they couldn't qualify for as a soigneur!
    These pricks won't even return a wave!
    Let's see: RB=light weight MB=Heavy tank;Thank God for the FS! (I own the Original, 1997 Cdale Super V.)

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    heh...the fact that its against UCI regulations was too simple a reason for a lot of posters in this thread it seems.

What does the UCI have to do with the original post?

Monte