Where is everybody in 2019???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Where is everybody in 2019???

I am talking about online presence of cycling enthusiasts. I used to spend a fair bit of time on MTBR, RBR, WW, PINKBIKE, etc. but the traffic has really dipped a lot in the past couple of years.

So, where do most cyclists hang out online these days?

What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Social media, I suppose. Facebook and Instagram mainly, for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    reddit?
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    I’ve wondered about this with regards to forums in general and I’d love to see some numbers plotted overtime for log-ins, new accounts created, average number of different users that log in each month, etc...

Just browsing forums or doing searches it just seems like there was a whole lot more going on in many of the forums on this site 2012 and earlierish—that’s not based on any real data, just feel and subject to being completely inaccurate. I have to wonder if this is due to younger potential users just not even thinking to use forums given all of the social media platforms they’re more familiar with— in general I don’t get the vibe there are a ton of younger/teen users on this site; whereas, anecdotally while doing searches I feel like there were more threads that had indicators of originating with younger users in the past.

I have to wonder if reddit doesn’t steal a ton of forum traffic as it allows users to pose questions to a targeted group of users and receive replies while allowing them to never leave a platform they’re using for a bunch of other stuff anyway. This could be totally off though.

I will say that forums in general (yes there are exceptions) outwardly appear to be dying and definitely see way less traffic—the numbers could very well prove me wrong. For a given hobby / forum topic there seems to be a core group of users that have been around forever and then a scattering of people that pop in occasionally or even just once to get help with something and disappear. For reasons I can’t explain it kind of bums me out, but it could just be because it makes me feel nostalgic and old lol.
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

Up In Smoke
    I've been here recently more than ever before. Probably because I sit at a computer most of my day and this helps me get through slow periods at work, don't tell my boss.

I don't spend as much time here when I'm on my phone or tablet.

mtbr member
    Facebook has really taken a lot of the users away which sucks because I hate FB. Reddit has several MTB forums with good info but not much for local info. I like forums much better as it seems to be filled with people who are way more into all aspects of the sport.

mtbr member
    This is the only site I interact with. I do subscribe to several sites on FB but am not a contributor.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I think most of the non-nerds are just riding.

I have tried the mtb Reddit pages and those are rather dead as well.

slow
    My online time is mainly here and facebook, but I'm spending less time online overall and more time on the bike. I have to be on the computer a lot for work, so I am trying to spend less time on it when I'm not working.

Rabid Lana Fan
    "Don't look too far...right where you are.
    That's where I am."

Hey, those would make great song lyrics.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    That's where I am."

Or the final line in a Dr. Seuss story ::
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

since 4/10/2009
    quite a few of the people I ride with don't even use social media unless they have to these days. We organize rides via text message.

though quite a bit of traffic has moved to facebook/instagram and other places online (I think reddit captures more people who never really used mtb forums to begin with), I think a lot of people just avoid the social media thing as much as they can. I know people whose only "social media" presence is on strava. And quite a few who share a single Facebook account for the whole family just so they can access what's on there (events and groups), but never really post.

Quite a number of my friends have been leaving Facebook outright in the past couple years.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    This is the only site I interact with. I do subscribe to several sites on FB but am not a contributor.
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I never, ever used a forum before I came here, but its the only one I participate in. FB I do use it, but not as much. Working from home, this a nice break. I don't have an Instagram account.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Snow Dog
    for me and biking it is :

MTBR; Vital BMX; Bikepacking.com; our local group forum; BMX Museum;

this is the only form of social media I participate in. Have never done FB or any of the other stuff...don't need or want all of the drama and other crap that comes with that...

also hit up bass guitar; drumming, and sports card forums as well
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by threefire View Post
    I am talking about online presence of cycling enthusiasts. I used to spend a fair bit of time on MTBR, RBR, WW, PINKBIKE, etc. but the traffic has really dipped a lot in the past couple of years.

What am I missing?
    You tell us, you're only averaging about 1.23 posts a month on this site. Where have you been hanging out?

This is also pretty much the only site I regularly post on.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I used to post a lot of ride reports on MTBR but Facebook was much easier to load photos onto so I stopped doing that here. Instagram is also super easy. If I want to load a photo onto MTBR it's multiple steps so now I only do it if I really feel like it. FB and Instagram also have people I actually know and care about so I share my best stuff with them, whereas most of you I really don't know and couldn't care much less about. Don't be hurt.

mtbr member
    I post here, PB, and weightweenies. I actually quit using RBR; I guess road biking is pretty boring b/c that place just became a politics shit show with very little biking ever discussed...just a handful of Trumpians arguing with a several large fistfuls of Libs...none of which I want in a bike forum.

banned
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by threefire View Post

What am I missing?
    Usenet. It's all about usenet these days.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I used to post a lot of ride reports on MTBR but Facebook was much easier to load photos onto so I stopped doing that here. Instagram is also super easy. If I want to load a photo onto MTBR it's multiple steps so now I only do it if I really feel like it. FB and Instagram also have people I actually know and care about so I share my best stuff with them, whereas most of you I really don't know and couldn't care much less about. Don't be hurt.
    Mind you I’m counting the # of steps.

1] Click on “Go advanced”.

2] Click in the photo icon.

3] Click on “Choose File”.

4] Click on the photo you want in your library.

5] Click on submit post.

That took like 1 minute.

Get R Done.

Where is everybody in 2019???-016a49ea-f6a5-4cb5-9eec-d85dc81591a9.jpg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-09-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist

Co Springs
    I always thought everyone was at the firing range
    .... when the gun forums were slow.

Racing their Infiniti or building more hp on the motor
    .... when 6MT was putting along

MTBR - out riding or wrenching ?

Motorcycle , Mazda forums - out Zooming ?
    It sure seems that way.

** My off bike time is high with kid duty and few other things at present so I peruse, read and post as a form of vicarious enjoyment.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again.

mtbr member
    TLDNR version:

Online forums have been around long enough that the novelty of interacting with distant others with similar interests has worn off. I get my MTB-talking fix while on actual MTB rides with my real friends. To do much more than that (posting online) uses effort that is now disproportionate to the reward.

It's similar to the reasons I quit buying bike/car/snowboarding magazine years ago.

To elaborate on my own experience:

My "social media / forum" time is limited to my lunch hour (and during slow times) at my work desk. Seriously, I don't look at screens when I'm at home unless I'm trying to learn something. So I just don't spend much time posting on forums to begin with. After a while, so many of the topics start to be repeated and I don't feel I have anything to say that can't be found with a search.

Take this current thread for example https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...b-1101123.html

I KNOW I've read the exact same sentiments at least half a dozen times during my days on MTBR. It's not worth my time to respond.

I feel like the second poster on this thread (also from today) https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...d-1101106.html

I rarely post ride reports, photos, etc. because I don't like to inconvenience myself for the sake of showing others what I'm up to. If you're my friend, and weren't with me when it happened, I'll tell you about it the next time I see you. Otherwise I'm probably not going to take the time - no one really cares where I rode last weekend and maybe I want to keep it a secret anyway.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Dirt Junkie,

Steps to load from my phone:
    1. Change format to Full site
    2. Locate forum
    3. Locate thread
    4. Go advanced
    5. Upload images
    6. Add files
    7. Choose file
    8. Photo library
    9. Select photo
    10. Upload

Where is everybody in 2019???-de14fce3-1687-4bc1-a443-540989e18446.jpg

11. Try steps 5-10 again
    12. Insert inline
    13. Change format back to Mobile
    14. Done

Now compare that to loading a bunch of pics onto your Facebook page:

1. Click on “photo”
    2. Select pic and click “Done”
    3. Click “share”

NTX
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I haven’t been here very long. I mainly use Facebook for the local groups. I hate to see forums go to the way side because there is a lot of information on these pages.

Bikesexual
    Steps to upload from TapaTalk

Take pic w/your phone

Open thread -> Upload photo.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Up In Smoke
    Is there a way to rotate the orientation on pics? I usually have to do some bogus edit/cropping of my pics so they don't get posted sideways.

mtbr member
    I installed Tapatalk on my phone and now;

1. Take photo with my phone.
    2. Add photo on my post.
    3. Post.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Dirt Junkie,

Steps to load from my phone:
    1. Change format to Full site
    2. Locate forum
    3. Locate thread
    4. Go advanced
    5. Upload images
    6. Add files
    7. Choose file
    8. Photo library
    9. Select photo
    10. Upload

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE14FCE3-1687-4BC1-A443-540989E18446.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1246209

11. Try steps 5-10 again
    12. Insert inline
    13. Change format back to Mobile
    14. Done

Now compare that to loading a bunch of pics onto your Facebook page:

1. Click on “photo”
    2. Select pic and click “Done”
    3. Click “share”
    I have no idea why you have all those steps. My above post #19 with 5 steps in it was from my phone at work today.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

That's where I am."

Someone listened.

Rabid Lana Fan
    You like that song?

Downcountry AF
    I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I don't feel like the users here are very important to Big Brother. I don't think they spend much/any time improving the users experience.

FB, Instagram, etc. all are very focused on the user experience and it shows.

Around here it seems when someone, or many people, have a valid complaint or even a good suggestion but nothing happens. It might take months, or might never happen at all.

I think site traffic on MTBR is way down from what it was only a few years ago. No way to confirm this just notice less action, especially in winter.

I feel like all the paid people spend 100% of their time working on getting money from advertisers, which I realize is necessary, but nobody is in charge of improving the website or improving the user experience.

The User Review section is practically abandoned. I've been trying to get the link in the SS FAQ sticky restored for more than a year and it still doesn't work. I'm sure the long timers here have other examples.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Is there a way to rotate the orientation on pics? I usually have to do some bogus edit/cropping of my pics so they don't get posted sideways.
    Easy, if it posts sideways save it again. Then go in your photos and edit-rotate it, then post it again. I do it all the time on here to help others out. It’s been officially coined a CR [courtesy rotation]..

You like that song?
    It’s alright.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Oct 2014
    Here, FB, Insta.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I have no idea why you have all those steps. My above post #19 with 5 steps in it was from my phone at work today.
    After I click “go advanced“ there’s no photo icon.

Where is everybody in 2019???-7d587ad5-134a-4a69-b7b1-a02e2ec1c873.jpg

Where is everybody in 2019???-e3c44ced-be1f-408b-80e7-f352fc236a50.jpg

Where is everybody in 2019???-24849c8e-b064-4ab9-a779-fbb9dbdac8d4.jpg

jcd's best friend
    should we...start our own FB group? Better yet, how about a Strava group instead
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

Bikesexual
    I just click on the paper clip to attach it. Never noticed that picture icon DJ pointed out.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I just click on the paper clip to attach it. Never noticed that picture icon DJ pointed out.
    And now you’ve got me looking for a paper clip, I’m not seeing one.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Me too. Paper clip to load photos. Still kinda of a pita though having to load a few different web pages, remember to put the curser in the spot you want the photo before uploading or you’ll have to cut and paste the photo below your text and sometimes it post the photo twice and one has a weird attachment look and the other is actually in the body of the text. There are some other quirks as well.

I know I end up not posting a lot of stuff just because it is more steps than I want to take and then I start thinking about how I am just wasting time as I am getting annoyed with clicking around just to upload a stupid photo. Shit, just realized I am waisting time again...

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Naw, you gotta crop 'em first.

An mtbr anomaly.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Cycologist
    Paper clip you can upload multiple photos (after selecting one file to upload, click on the +) and/or select photos you have previously uploaded. Picture icon is one and done, or you can link from a url.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I don't feel like the users here are very important to Big Brother. I don't think they spend much/any time improving the users experience.

FB, Instagram, etc. all are very focused on the user experience and it shows.

Around here it seems when someone, or many people, have a valid complaint or even a good suggestion but nothing happens. It might take months, or might never happen at all.

I think site traffic on MTBR is way down from what it was only a few years ago. No way to confirm this just notice less action, especially in winter.

I feel like all the paid people spend 100% of their time working on getting money from advertisers, which I realize is necessary, but nobody is in charge of improving the website or improving the user experience.

The User Review section is practically abandoned. I've been trying to get the link in the SS FAQ sticky restored for more than a year and it still doesn't work. I'm sure the long timers here have other examples.
    As much as I hate Facebook and other social media sites (I don't partake in any of them these days) the good thing about them is that stuff gets done by the mods rather quickly. I imagine trolls like LaneDetroitCity would last maybe 2 days on a Facebook group page before he got the boot.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtjunkie View Post

Name:	7D587AD5-134A-4A69-B7B1-A02E2EC1C873.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	1246290

Name:	E3C44CED-BE1F-408B-80E7-F352FC236A50.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	1246286

Name:	24849C8E-B064-4AB9-A779-FBB9DBDAC8D4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1246287

This is the screen I get unless I go to full site. If I go to full site on my phone then I’m having to pinch zoom in and out to see what I’m doing. PITA.

Where is everybody in 2019???-3fef017e-1718-4206-980a-6710a401766c.jpg

Where is everybody in 2019???-07daed22-7186-4f38-ab93-572b2d254acf.jpg

Even if loading images were easier than Facebook or Instagram (it’s not) it wouldn’t change the fact that I don’t actually know the vast majority of the people here whereas I know 100% of the people on my Facebook page and have a real-world connection to them so that’s where my ride pics have gone. Mtbr is where you go to get in an argument with a stranger about something trivial.

Downcountry AF
    Mtbr is where you go to get in an argument with a stranger about something trivial.
    Really? I've never experienced this... It's probably just you.

Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rabid Lana Fan
    And now you’ve got me looking for a paper clip, I’m not seeing one.
    In your step one picture, you drew an arrow. Look right above what the arrow is pointing at..see the smiley face thing? Just to the right of that.

Downcountry AF
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

In your step one picture, you drew an arrow. Look right above what the arrow is pointing at..see the smiley face thing? Just to the right of that.

Ahh..I see it, thanks.That’s one ugly deformed looking paper clip.

Let’s see if that technique works.

Yep, about the same amount of steps as the way I’ve been posting photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is everybody in 2019???-7549cf99-b8be-40c3-8e84-7248f330663d.jpg  

Rabid Lana Fan
    That’s one ugly deformed looking paper clip.

Someone probably used it to get a CD out of their CD drive.

Someone probably used it to get a CD out of their CD drive.
    Ahh..a rip on my less than savvy tech skills, I got it.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Ahh..a rip on my less than savvy tech skills, I got it.
    ???

If you know that trick, yer techie skills are higher than average. You ever notice that tiny hole in the front of a CD/DVD drive on a PC? It's there so that if you need to open the drive up when it isn't powered up, you can stick something like a paperclip in there to manually open it.

???

If you know that trick, yer techie skills are higher than average. You ever notice that tiny hole in the front of a CD/DVD drive on a PC? It's there so that if you need to open the drive up when it isn't powered up, you can stick something like a paperclip in there to manually open it.

Oh man, if only I knew that when a certain risqué DVD was stuck in my girlfriends parents player when they were out of town. We were house sitting...blah blah blah..long story. Short story I managed to get it to power back up and eject before their arrival home.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtjunkie View Post
    … a certain risqué dvd was stuck in my girlfriends parents player … managed to get it to power back up and eject before their arrival home.
    tmi

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    tmi
    ilalotout

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    While I haven't posted much I have lurked for years. MTBr seems pretty active to me still. (I know, anecdotal...)
    I do not care for most other social platforms. I work on PCs during the day (IT work) so I don't use a pc/mobile device while at home unless I am shopping for bike parts or looking for a video on how not to screw up working on my bike(s).

No known cure
    Been a member here for 22 years. It smells like slow death in here with the embracing of e bikes and killing off the passion page which was the backbone of the site.

Back in the late 90s; early 00s we used to organize gatherings and get up to 40 members to meet in destination riding areas. September by the Sound, The Fruita Gatherings, AZ Spring Flings. That community is gone, except for maybe the vintage guys meeting up for the Keyesville Classic race each year. Well, not this year. The race was cancelled for the first time in 30 years.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Up In Smoke
    This place is bumping! Been to the road bike forum lately? Check that out and report back.

banned
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Back in the late 90s; early 00s we used to organize gatherings and get up to 40 members to meet in destination riding areas. September by the Sound, The Fruita Gatherings, AZ Spring Flings. That community is gone, except for maybe the vintage guys meeting up for the Keyesville Classic race each year.
    Nah, subsets of that community still exist, still stay in touch via FB and still get together to ride, like the folks from CA, CO, UT and AZ that got together a few weeks ago in Hurricane.

Same dude, separated by a few years...

Spring Fling '01

Where is everybody in 2019???-dscn2594.jpg

Friday, 3/29

Where is everybody in 2019???-psf04467.jpg

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    Nah, subsets of that community still exist, still stay in touch via FB and still get together to ride, like the folks from CA, CO, UT and AZ that got together a few weeks ago in Hurricane.
    Was that the MTBR Memory Lane Gathering group on Facebook?

banned
    Sep 2018
    Nope. That Memory Lane thing is still a pipe dream AFAIK.

Nat, did you get that photo posting issue sorted?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Nat, did you get that photo posting issue sorted?
    You may have misinterpreted. I wasn’t looking for help posting pics on mtbr. I was explaining that I now prefer posting pics on Facebook and Instagram, and the photo loading process is only half of the reason.

You may have misinterpreted. I wasn’t looking for help posting pics on mtbr. I was explaining that I now prefer posting pics on Facebook and Instagram, and the photo loading process is only half of the reason.
    Oh, sorry. I thought you said that there were too many steps in posting photos on here. I knew you knew how to post them. I was just trying to help in shortening the amount of steps for you is all.

mtbr member
    I dropped out of MTBR about two or more years ago. Just came back yesterday for no good reason. I never hung out at any other site. I ride as much as ever and have current bikes but I just got tired of being on-line.