where do you keep your phone when riding ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

where do you keep your phone when riding ?

so yesterday my phone fell as i was riding and i ran it over with my rear wheel ...

the problem was that my phone was a Galaxy Note 2 which is very large, and i couldn't find a place to fit it anywhere but my hydration pack but i wanted to use the GPS on that particular ride so i didn't put it in the hydration pack ...

i have this case which is decent:

Amazon.com: Arkon SM032 Bicycle and Motorcycle Handlebar Mount With Water-Resistant Case For Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories

but unfortunately the Note 2 would not fit inside ...

i really wanted to get Note 3 for my next phone but after this tragic experience i am considering going back to more pocketable phones ...

what should i do ? where do you keep your phone while on the ride ? can you think of any solution for a phablet type phone ? the Note 3 is rumored to be similar physical size to Note 2, but with a larger 5.8" display ( versus 5.5" for Note 2 ).

if possible i would like to keep using the Note series because it offers a bigger battery, bigger screen and a stylus as compared to the regular Galaxy S series. however i can not afford to risk this accident repeating so if i am unable to develop a secure solution i will switch back to smaller phones.

the note 2 fits great into my pockets when i am standing up straight, and when i am sitting down the phone is usually on the desk, in my hands or the glove compartment. it is when i am on the bike when it doesn't quite fit into the pockets and i have a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I bought one of these Amazon.com: Seattle Sports Dry Doc Landing Pad (Black, 7 x 4-Inch): Sports & Outdoors
    It comes with a handlebar mount.. Never used it as my phone fit in my side pocket which has snaps..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb268 View Post
    I bought one of these Amazon.com: Seattle Sports Dry Doc Landing Pad (Black, 7 x 4-Inch): Sports & Outdoors
    It comes with a handlebar mount.. Never used it as my phone fit in my side pocket which has snaps..
    looks similar to what i have. i'm almost certain my phone wouldn't fit ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm sure you could still use the platform that's 4"x7" to attach phone using other method other then pouch. Some time's we need to improvise what's out there for our need's..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb268 View Post
    I'm sure you could still use the platform that's 4"x7" to attach phone using other method other then pouch. Some time's we need to improvise what's out there for our need's..
    the best idea i could come up with is a frame bag:

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...ed=0CFAQvwUoAA

but i was unable to find one i liked. i guess i wasn't trying hard enough ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There's a thread on making frame bags on this site, not sure which sub forum.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-b...em-766873.html
    I'm sure you can get some ideas from there..

AZ
    banned
    I keep my phone with all the other crap I don't need on a ride, at home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    what if you need to dial 911 ?

i usually turn the phone off and put it in my hydration pack - that way nobody will bother me, but in case of emergency i can make a phone call.

Gotta pay to play
    I put my phone in my hydration pack with my spare tubes, tools, etc...

One the very rare cases when I decide to ride without a condom- I put my phone and car keys in this.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post

i usually turn the phone off and put it in my hydration pack - that way nobody will bother me, but in case of emergency i can make a phone call.

911? What did people do before there were these new fangled portable telephones? Oh yeah, they relied on skill, preparedness and wits. I wonder how some of you find your way out of the house without a map and directions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    One the very rare cases when I decide to ride without a condom- I put my phone and car keys in this.
    almost perfect. but i checked internal dimensions on the site its 5 x 4 inches. my phone is 6 inches long. that's the whole problem ...

mtbr member
    911? What did people do before there were these new fangled portable telephones? Oh yeah, they relied on skill, preparedness and wits. I wonder how some of you find your way out of the house without a map and directions.
    so if you break your leg you will rely on your skill, not on doctors, because doctors are a relatively recent invention of humanity ? there was a time when life expectancy at birth was 12 years you know ( it is now 75 ) - maybe we should go back to living the way people lived back then - except 90% of us would be dead.

Gotta pay to play
    The large one is 7 x 4 x 2. You should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    The large one is 7 x 4 x 2. You should be fine.
    here it says 5 x 4:

FuelBox™

i did see the numbers you quote on Amazon but that could be shipping size or something like that. i'm interested in internal dimensions - Amazon doesn't mention what their dimensions are for.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I could/would not call 911 on most of my rides. No service.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    well that obviously depends on where you are. where i am, in New York City, we have some of the best wireless coverage anywhere on the planet. the last time i have seen a "no signal" message was in Arizona desert.

mtbr member

I only take my phone when I want to GPS a ride. When that happens it goes in the hydration pack. I have not had any significant issues with GPS recording like that.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

T.W.O.
    I usually put it in the ziplock bag and in the hydration pack. I cross some water sometime so just in case. I have Garmin edge so I don't need anything else mounted on the bar, come to think of it, it's not a good idea to mount the smart phone on the bar anyways.

Custom User Title
    I used to keep it in my pocket, but after a crash where my phone hit my handlebars after going over the bar, it now stays in my hydration pack in an area that would crush it if I rolled on my back. I might have to go back to the drawing board on this one... Go deeper into the pack we must.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member
    On my camelback there's a lined sunglasses pocket, my phone fits perfectly in there. I run leave it a little unzipped so I can run headphones. It doesn't have trouble using gps in there either. It's neatly tucked out of the way and I don't have to worry about losing or breaking my phone.

mtbr member
    Chest pocket of my Wingnut pack mostly, or jersey pocket if I'm on a short ride, sans pack.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

Rogue Exterminator
    I keep mine in the side pocket of my shorts with no case and have had several crashes.
    I have a Motorola Bionic.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Tree Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The FCC requires all wireless companies to transmit 911 calls whether or not the caller is a subscriber. So while your data plan may not work, a competitor's might. Also text messages work on the fringes of signal maps.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop View Post
    The FCC requires all wireless companies to transmit 911 calls whether or not the caller is a subscriber. So while your data plan may not work, a competitor's might. Also text messages work on the fringes of signal maps.
    Requires or not, no service is no service.
    If I ride in Pisgah there is no service on most of the trails with any carrier and this includes text.

I like pie.
    Well your point is well taken. But since my wife almost died of a heart attack in April of 2012 I have insisted that she and I both have cell phones handy-at all times. To make a long story short she woulda died without the ability to call 911 while she still could. She coded five minutes after arriving in the emergency room. Guess what would have happened if she didn't have her phone handy?

I also think having a cell phone is handy if your riding partner has an accident or (if yer married) to let the wife know your two hour ride has become four.

See here is the deal. I carry a phone Not because I want to chat, text or otherwise stay in touch to take care of business while riding my bicycle; I do so because my mobile is a tool. To be used if need be. If I or my friend needs medical assistance due to a crash, it is nice to be able to call for help. The GPS function is nice, although I prefer maps and a compass.

I live in a rural area and have no need or reason to escape the shackles of urban life. I carry a phone for practical reasons. I carry a ton of tools in my Camelbak. One of which is my phone.

So if you had a medical emergency on the trail would you just grit your teeth and walk five miles to a pay phone and call 911 (my wife is not much older than you)?

But to each his/her own.

To the OP: mine is the an outer pocket of my Camelbak.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

So if you had a medical emergency on the trail would you just grit your teeth and walk five miles to a pay phone and call 911 (my wife is not much older than you)?
    No, it would be more like 10miles to get to any phone or cell coverage.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

In dog years, I'm dead.
    So you want to use the GPS while you ride. Does that mean you need to look at the screen while you ride? If not, the GPS should track your ride just fine sitting in your hydration pack.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    So you want to use the GPS while you ride. Does that mean you need to look at the screen while you ride? If not, the GPS should track your ride just fine sitting in your hydration pack.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    no i didn't want to look at the screen while riding. but i also didn't want to take my hydration pack off because that was at night and my helmet light power cable goes into hydration pack so to take it off i also need to take the helmet off, then it takes time to put it back on, and in a bad neighborhood at night i need to be ready to move at a few seconds' notice. the lights at night draw too much attention to be standing around trying to sort out all of your equipment and cables.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Why don't you just leave your giant phone in your pack until you are not in a bad neighborhood?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Why don't you just leave your giant phone in your pack until you are not in a bad neighborhood?
    because most of Brooklyn is a bad neighborhood

mtbr member
    I ride alone 90% of the time, so I keep my phone on me for emergencies. I also am on call for work 24 hours a day, and I have been called while riding to come in before. Although I seldom have service on my rides, I keep my phone in my Camelbak with all my other riding essentials. I'm already carrying my wallet, keys, 3 liters of water, tools, snacks, tubes and a first aid kit, might as well toss the phone in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just bought one of these

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM EZ ON/OFF Stroller Mount with Universal X-Grip Phone Holder: MP3 Players & Accessories

And I have used it once and I'm a fan. I did My Tracks for GPS and looking at marked trails and picking my route, so I used my phone frequently on rides. This mount is pretty sweet. And my phone is Droid Razr with a think case on it, so roughly the size of your phone. I will be keeping my case on the phone, but I don't the grips will let go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    I just bought one of these

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM EZ ON/OFF Stroller Mount with Universal X-Grip Phone Holder: MP3 Players & Accessories

And I have used it once and I'm a fan. I did My Tracks for GPS and looking at marked trails and picking my route, so I used my phone frequently on rides. This mount is pretty sweet. And my phone is Droid Razr with a think case on it, so roughly the size of your phone. I will be keeping my case on the phone, but I don't the grips will let go.
    doesn't look secure enough. my phone was in this:

Amazon.com: Arkon SM032 Bicycle and Motorcycle Handlebar Mount With Water-Resistant Case For Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories

but it wasn't zipped up because the end of the phone was sticking out half an inch. it ended up flying out when i hit a patch of uneven pavement going downhill.

and if you do work out a geometry for which it is impossible for the phone to get out, then it looks like it would be a chore to get it out if you wanted to take a call for example.

i would prefer something like a zipper - 100% secure, but able to be open and closed within 2 seconds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    doesn't look secure enough. my phone was in this:

but it wasn't zipped up because the end of the phone was sticking out half an inch. it ended up flying out when i hit a patch of uneven pavement going downhill.

and if you do work out a geometry for which it is impossible for the phone to get out, then it looks like it would be a chore to get it out if you wanted to take a call for example.

i would prefer something like a zipper - 100% secure, but able to be open and closed within 2 seconds.
    I will provide future comments on the stability. Do you notice how the product you showed is a 4 star product, and the one I showed is a 5 star product? Granted the Ram ez/on only has 6 comments so far. Ram Mounts are well known and well used. I am super impressed with quality and use build so far. I don't see the plastic or construction failing.

If you are worried about the phone slipping or coming loose, this vibration test looks like similar force and motion experienced in mountain biking.
    RAM X-Grip Vibration Test: EZ-Strap Mount - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    Do you notice how the product you showed is a 4 star product, and the one I showed is a 5 star product?
    that doesn't mean anything.

i got the mount when i had a 4.5" screen phone and it fit perfectly in there. but a 5.5" screen phone didn't fit. that's not the fault of the mount.

the low reviews for my mount are for things like " screen not responsive through the case " or " camera is blocked by the case " or " speakerphone too quiet through the case " or other stuff that i don't care about.

your case obviously will not block the camera or interfere with responsiveness of screen or loudness of speakerphone - so it may get higher reviews - and then drop the phone on some rocks.

high reviews means somebody is happy with the product doesn't mean i will be. i bet Justin Biebers albums are highly reviewed by his fans - that's not going to make me listen to him.

i hope you're happy with your mount. to ME it doesn't look secure.

i have a G-Form case for iPad that was tested by manufacturer ( on video ) by getting thrown off high rise buildings and getting run over by cars, but then some id1ot owners on YouTube gave it a light toss and their iPad was finished. so just because your case passes manufacturer testing doesn't mean anything either. tests and real life are not the same.

ultimately the model of G-Form case i got ( the portfolio ) was EXTREMELY protective - i could probably play football with the iPad and it would be fine in there - my problem was that when in it the iPad 3 would get so hot it was uncomfortable to use. none of the many reviews i watched of that case mentioned this problem because iPad 3 wasn't out yet at the time and it ran hotter than previous iPads ...

tests and reviews = one thing. reality = another.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want a phone that's bigger than their face. Didn't those things get left behind in the '80s?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

RAKC

Re: where do you keep your phone when riding ?

This is what i use, not water tight but being I usually don't ride in more than damp conditions its perfect. I use this as well cause I listen to music from my phone on headphones while riding. I know the case is tough, still in perfect shape this far into the season and i have wrecked several times. Only thing hurt was my ears from headphones getting ripped out LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want a phone that's bigger than their face. Didn't those things get left behind in the '80s?
    why would anyone want an iPad ?

except compared to an iPad my phone has a pressure sensitive active digitizer, it can * gasp * make phone calls, and my contract subsidized more than half of the price whereas with iPad you have to pay for the whole thing.

i sold my iPad after i got the Note, because i didn't have any use left for the iPad.

by selling my iPhone and iPad at full price and then getting the Note subsidized i made a bunch of money in the process of getting a better device ...

too bad i will never be able to sell the Note because it now looks like it went through a meat grinder ...

Note 3 should be released soon by the way ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    This is what i use, not water tight but being I usually don't ride in more than damp conditions its perfect. I use this as well cause I listen to music from my phone on headphones while riding. I know the case is tough, still in perfect shape this far into the season and i have wrecked several times. Only thing hurt was my ears from headphones getting ripped out LOL.

Amazon.com: Bikemate Slim Case 3 for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, BlackBerry Torch, HTC EVO, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC Sensation, Droid X, Droid Incredible, Droid 2, Droid 3, Samsung EPIC, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S III: Cell Phones & Accessories

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    yes i remember seeing this one. would be excellent if it was bigger.

re: headphones getting ripped out - OUCH !

i hope you weren't using expensive headphones. you know nowadays some earbuds are $300+ in which case you might want to rethink your cabling strategy.

this actually raises an interesting point because when i ride at night i'm too paranoid to wear headphones, but when i ride during the day ( which i haven't done in a long while ) i do listen to music and the last time i crashed i had an iPhone in my pocket and my phones came out without a scratch, but if i start wearing them again i will need to have the phone on my body because i don't want to be tethered to my bike for the reason you metioned as well as other reasons.

thanks for bringing this up.

there goes the frame bag idea ...

how could i forget about headphones ?

what happened was i used to take my bike to the trail in the car, and then bike with headphones, but then my car lease ended and the new car doesn't have a bike rack and since i couldn't sell the rack for the old car i'm reluctant to buy one for the new car. so now i'm biking on the streets, where i can't wear headphones for safety reasons and i forgot all about them ...

ARRRGH ! ! !

so apparently i need something like this:

Bike storage that doesn?t make you look like a douche (IOW, no fanny packs)

Bro
    Content from my avatar

When I think of iPad, I don't think of something that's portable enough to bring on a bike. If you want communication ability while riding, why don't you buy a cheap go-phone that - gasp - only makes calls. If you want GPS ability, take that money you "made" from selling the iPad and use it to buy a Garmin. That way you don't have to worry about fitting a miniature home-computer on your handlebar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    When I think of iPad, I don't think of something that's portable enough to bring on a bike. If you want communication ability while riding, why don't you buy a cheap go-phone that - gasp - only makes calls. If you want GPS ability, take that money you "made" from selling the iPad and use it to buy a Garmin. That way you don't have to worry about fitting a miniature home-computer on your handlebar.
    i'm sure carrying 20 devices instead of 1 is a more logical solution than lets say putting on something with bigger pockets ...

Bro
    Content from my avatar

Two small devices that together are lighter and less voluminous than one gargantuan device, but ok.

Huckin' trails

I have an iPhone 3Gs, with the bulky OtterBox Defender case. I fit it in a cellphone pouch on the shoulder strap of my hydration pack, from there I can use it to track with the GPS, take videos, take it out quickly for pictures, or in the unlikely even I get a call, or when I want to know what time it is (just tip the pouch forward and take a look at the lockscreen). Oh, and it's also a little stereo music player for long climbs or commutes
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    So if you had a medical emergency on the trail would you just grit your teeth and walk five miles to a pay phone and call 911
    Pay phone? I haven't seen one of those in years. lol

OP, if you don't want to carry your phone in you hydration pack or your pocket and want quick access then the answer is simple.

Top tube bag.

where do you keep your phone when riding ?-vaude-carbo-bag-black-side-mounted-stock.jpg

They even make ones with a clear pouch on the front so you can view the phone while riding.

Hi There!
    Hidden in my truck. If I'm going on a looonngggg ride I will stash my cheap company phone in the specific pocket for it in my Camelbak.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    A few weeks later of riding typical NH trails, the LifeProof case and mount system is holding up and working perfectly. The rubber sizing thingy for the clamp does the job of damping vibration and even after an epic crash, it all held together.
    A great system.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    A few weeks later of riding typical NH trails, the LifeProof case and mount system is holding up and working perfectly. The rubber sizing thingy for the clamp does the job of damping vibration and even after an epic crash, it all held together.
    A great system.
    yeah that's the one thing that's unbeatable about the iPhone is the accessories ...

mtbr member
    We've always been a Mac house and having seamless co-habitation of devices is nice.
    :-)

High Desert MTBer
    I keep mine in my pack right next to my gun... Last time I was attacked by a bear I accidentally dialed home trying to shoot him. Then another time I shot myself in the head when my phone rang! Duh!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I keep mine in my pack right next to my gun... Last time I was attacked by a bear I accidentally dialed home trying to shoot him. Then another time I shot myself in the head when my phone rang! Duh!!!

I hate it when that happens, which is why I now leave mine on a hook- at home. I generally leave the pistol trail side (loaded in case anyone needs to use it) and pick it up on my way back.

29ers Forever
    I wear cargo shorts when I ride, so I put my phone in a compartment closed with Velcro.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

psycho cyclo addict
    Bread crumbs of course...

I bring my iPhone for tracking rides (I don't answer the damn thing though). Only time it is a problem is when ride time exceeds ~6 hours because my battery doesn't go longer, particularly in remote areas. For that I rely on others with dedicated GPS devices or snag the route off ridewith GPS

Relying on GPS has its drawbacks...

Woman drives 900 miles out of her way after GPS error

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Funny, a couple weeks ago, I had to explain to my kids (7 and 8 yrs old) why there was a blue box outside of the 7-11 with picture of a phone on it (the pay phone had been removed). "See, there was a time when we didn't all have phones in our pockets, so if you wanted to use the phone, you had to ..." They looked at me like I was crazy ...

My phone goes in my pack. I only have cell service maybe 50% of the trails I ride, but the phone has other useful purposes. I usually am using Strava or something else to track my ride, and it is also my camera. Carry a sandwich baggie in case of rain, almost never leave it behind.

And I can't figure out why anyone would want a phablet phone, either, but I guess that is another topic for discussion.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

Payphones are dangerous...

where do you keep your phone when riding ?-candp.jpg

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Payphones are dangerous...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CandP.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	825417
    The dog did it...
    It's all Here. Now.

AZ
    banned
    Look at him, he even looks guilty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    that doesn't mean anything.

i got the mount when i had a 4.5" screen phone and it fit perfectly in there. but a 5.5" screen phone didn't fit. that's not the fault of the mount.

the low reviews for my mount are for things like " screen not responsive through the case " or " camera is blocked by the case " or " speakerphone too quiet through the case " or other stuff that i don't care about.

your case obviously will not block the camera or interfere with responsiveness of screen or loudness of speakerphone - so it may get higher reviews - and then drop the phone on some rocks.

high reviews means somebody is happy with the product doesn't mean i will be. i bet Justin Biebers albums are highly reviewed by his fans - that's not going to make me listen to him.

i hope you're happy with your mount. to ME it doesn't look secure.

i have a G-Form case for iPad that was tested by manufacturer ( on video ) by getting thrown off high rise buildings and getting run over by cars, but then some id1ot owners on YouTube gave it a light toss and their iPad was finished. so just because your case passes manufacturer testing doesn't mean anything either. tests and real life are not the same.

ultimately the model of G-Form case i got ( the portfolio ) was EXTREMELY protective - i could probably play football with the iPad and it would be fine in there - my problem was that when in it the iPad 3 would get so hot it was uncomfortable to use. none of the many reviews i watched of that case mentioned this problem because iPad 3 wasn't out yet at the time and it ran hotter than previous iPads ...

tests and reviews = one thing. reality = another.
    First of all, no one rates a device 5 stars if it drops a phone, so I think that's a good place to start. Second of all, zippers are definitely not 100% secure. I've had multiple zippers stop working on jackets or pants, and those weren't on a mountain trail. In fact a comment calls the zipper cheap. Third, I don't see how the device in question attached to a metal rod, violently shaking up and down is incomparable to device in question attached to a metal handlebar, attached to a suspension fork, receiving spontaneous vibration. Stating that that test is not real life is silly. Real vibrations, real physics, real phone. If you choose to use the zipper case, that's personal preference, but just because you don't like the design of the Ram Mount doesn't mean you have evidence it doesn't work. In fact, you have zero evidence it doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    We've always been a Mac house and having seamless co-habitation of devices is nice.
    :-)
    i went to Mac a few years ago and now i'm back. i still need to sell my iMac, and i'm going to keep my MacBook Pro ( running Windows ).

each system has its cons and pros. windows and android are slower and more problematic than apple operating systems, but more flexible.

in terms of hardware it is hit and miss on both sides. iPad 3 was a great tablet - there is still no answer to it from the competition. MacBook Pro is a great laptop - still no answer to it from the competition. on the other hand the Note 2 cannot be matched by any Apple phone and a laptop like Alienware or Dell Precision cannot be matched by anything from Apple either.

i switched back from Apple mainly because i estimate that in the future Apple will return to being a niche maker of small gadgets like iWatch and Android will overtake the mobile computing space, while Windows will hold on to professional workstation space and Linux to server space.

Elon Musk is probably the smartest guy left in American Business after Jobs died and he said that he expects Google to defeat Apple because Tim Cook basically isn't creative enough to compete with Larry Page and Sergey Brin. I agree with that analysis.

Apple never had a business strategy that made any sense - when Apple was successful it was entirely dependent on being able to come out with gadgets that you simply had to have or you were not cool - like iPod, iPhone and iPad - and Jobs was personally involved in the development of all of those cool toys - without him, it is unlikely that Apple will be able to keep hitting home runs like the iPhone and Google will win because Google has younger leadership which includes all of the company's founders ( Apple has lost both its founders, as well as the main guy behind iOS ) and Google shows no signs of slowing down.

that's why i switched to Android ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Quadlock

I use one of these on my bicycle and one on my motorcycle. iPhone Bike Mount | Quad Lock - iPhone Bike Mount

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmilin View Post
    I use one of these on my bicycle and one on my motorcycle. iPhone Bike Mount | Quad Lock - iPhone Bike Mount
    well they have a Galaxy S4 model - that's better than nothing.

but i went to a shop that repairs cell phones and we tested my phone with a good battery and it seems to work. my battery got completely crushed so i tossed it at the spot becaue i didn't want it to catch on fire in my pocket.

problem is the shop didn't have my size battery - we tested the phone with a smaller one but i had to order the correct size one and will need to wait for it.

bottom line is for the time being it seems i will be keeping the Note 2 with all its battle scars.

if the Note 2 was dead i would consider getting S4 and that would expand my accessories options tremendously, but i'm sticking with the Note so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

If you can afford to buy a Galaxy Note 2 you can very well afford to buy a smaller, cheap ass, second phone. That is if your only purpose is to use it for 911 calls. I have 2 phones, both are Android GPS-enabled phones but I still can't afford the Galaxy Note 2. And they both fit in my pocket.

You can even use an old cellphone as you can make emergency calls even without an active subscription account. That is if your intention is to make emergency calls in case of emergency.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    If you can afford to buy a Galaxy Note 2 you can very well afford to buy a smaller, cheap ass, second phone. That is if your only purpose is to use it for 911 calls. I have 2 phones, both are Android GPS-enabled phones but I still can't afford the Galaxy Note 2. And they both fit in my pocket.
    as i explained i actually made money by getting the Note 2 - it didn't cost me anything because i sold my iPhone, my iPad and also the AT&T store gave me Beats Wireless headphones for free for getting the Note 2 which i sold for $200 on Amazon.

if i wasn't doing an early upgrade i would have ended up with a whole bunch of cash for getting it, but since i did pay $250 for early upgrade, $25 activation plus $300 for the phone itself it basically cancelled out the money made from selling the stuff so i came out about even.

yes i could use a cheap phone when riding - i have a few of those - but that would be giving up. i don't like to give up. i'd rather invent problems for myself that don't exist and then enjoy overcoming them.

mtbr member
    I dunno. I don't keep up with this stuff, but two things come to mind as a response.
    1. None of this changes how well my Apple stuff works for me and my needs and wants.
    2. A lifetime of perspective informs me that this stuff is a moving target and tends to leap frog.

A while back as the defacto IT guy as one of my hats, the only boxes without constant problems was Mac. Admittedly due in part to employees who didn't follow suggested protocol, but its hard to break a Mac.
    BTW--I love my mini-pad.
    i went to Mac a few years ago and now i'm back. i still need to sell my iMac, and i'm going to keep my MacBook Pro ( running Windows ).

each system has its cons and pros. windows and android are slower and more problematic than apple operating systems, but more flexible.

in terms of hardware it is hit and miss on both sides. iPad 3 was a great tablet - there is still no answer to it from the competition. MacBook Pro is a great laptop - still no answer to it from the competition. on the other hand the Note 2 cannot be matched by any Apple phone and a laptop like Alienware or Dell Precision cannot be matched by anything from Apple either.

i switched back from Apple mainly because i estimate that in the future Apple will return to being a niche maker of small gadgets like iWatch and Android will overtake the mobile computing space, while Windows will hold on to professional workstation space and Linux to server space.

Elon Musk is probably the smartest guy left in American Business after Jobs died and he said that he expects Google to defeat Apple because Tim Cook basically isn't creative enough to compete with Larry Page and Sergey Brin. I agree with that analysis.

Apple never had a business strategy that made any sense - when Apple was successful it was entirely dependent on being able to come out with gadgets that you simply had to have or you were not cool - like iPod, iPhone and iPad - and Jobs was personally involved in the development of all of those cool toys - without him, it is unlikely that Apple will be able to keep hitting home runs like the iPhone and Google will win because Google has younger leadership which includes all of the company's founders ( Apple has lost both its founders, as well as the main guy behind iOS ) and Google shows no signs of slowing down.

that's why i switched to Android ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yes i could use a cheap phone when riding - i have a few of those - but that would be giving up. i don't like to give up. i'd rather invent problems for myself that don't exist and then enjoy overcoming them.
    Giving up what? You said so yourself that you switch off your phone and only use it in case of emergency?

Here's a problem you're sure to encounter....even if you drop your Galaxy Note 2 or 3 in the future and didn't run over it, you are still likely to damage it because of the sheer size of it. Even if it's inside a pouch, the sheer size of the Galaxy Note 2's screen will likely break if it fell screen first. Hell, even if it's safe inside your hydration bag and you fell on your back on a rock or a log it's gonna break it. All solutions presented here does not reduce the chance of you damaging that phone as it is not an ideal rugged outdoor phone because of its size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There are a lot of cell phone cases for your belt that have a hook that keeps it from falling off. There are also cases that velcro around your leg or arm. Also keep in mind that it is against the rules to carry any electronic device in the ring when you show. Good luck!