What's your worst enemy when riding?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What's your worst enemy when riding?

Often times we fight battles (both mental and physical) while riding. What are some of yours? Is there a specific section you can't clear? Maybe a hill you can't seem to complete? Are your experiences with equestrians/hikers leaving you bothered? Just trying to come up with topics that haven't been discussed (if this has been beaten to death let me know and I'll remove).

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Those pesky mosquitoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No known cure
    Myself. I went through a spell of going on solo rides well out of cell service, in high heat and not letting anyone know where I was. Twice (in the Kern River Valley), I spent most of the day in the Lake Isabella ER with fluids draining into both arms. I've since changed my selfish ways.

I just remembered that I recently told a woman equestrian to get off her high horse (said with a smirk) who told me I wasn't allowed to be climbing up a multi use trail. (Keller Peak for those in the know) I even stepped off the trail.
    Last edited by Vader; 01-17-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtb addict
    Depends on the trail. Downhill, speed is my enemy... I’m sure we’re all a little addicted to this or we wouldn’t spend time reading about riding. A little speed and endorphins usually makes me want to push more, til I find the edge. Finding that mental balance pushing without crossing the edge of control, working to push it farther, is my downhill mental game.

XC is different, I used to think my enemy was physical there, but spending more time on endurance the past few years and this winter mostly on a trainer, I’m realizing my limits with XC are more mental as well.

The main difference for me: I used to ride to get away and de-stress, now I’m on a mission every day I ride to find more speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hate mosquitoes too but more so the 5mph gnats that can keep up with you on hill climbs.

the half breed devil
    my lack of bike-fitness.

mtbr member
    Cardiovascular fitness, or the lack of it
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Bikesexual
    Fitness/Switchbacks!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

One ring to mash them all
    Wonky heart valve (mitral valve prolapse).
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Fitness/Switchbacks!
    you had to go there, didn't you?

i'm pretty bad at switchbacks, too. as a matter of fact, i'm not afraid to admit my technical skills can be quite lacking despite the fact i've been MTB'ing since 1988 or 89.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Like most exercise, I'm good if I can get my shoes (& helmet) on and out the door/ gate

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hear you guys on the fitness part. I guess the real enemy for me is time. If I had more of it, I would be riding more and fitness wouldn't be that much of an issue. Life happens.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

i'm pretty bad at switchbacks, too. as a matter of fact, i'm not afraid to admit my technical skills can be quite lacking despite the fact i've been MTB'ing since 1988 or 89.
    Yeah, it doesnt help I'm not always exposed to them. Since joining a FB group that has been changing, and I've been riding new trails with more ST and Switchbacks.

One day...
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    I hear you guys on the fitness part. I guess the real enemy for me is time. If I had more of it, I would be riding more and fitness wouldn't be that much of an issue. Life happens.
    Yep! The road bike has helped me a lot! my time is also very limited.

Being able to squeeze rides mid week, has made a difference, even if short 8/10mile rides.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Cycologist
    Lack of confidence in a techy section. I've had places I've cleaned plenty of times then I'll mess it up. Then after that, next time I ride through there I'll be worried about not making it and sure enough, I won't make it through. Yeah, should session more.

Other times I'll make it through a section by sheer determination, just not going to let it stop me, full on confidence.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My technical skills suck and my balance is pretty bad also. At my age a bad crash
    could end it for me. A couple of friends have had bad crashes that have stopped
    them from being able to ride any longer. However I love being outside and riding
    is so much fun.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Great topic.

My worst enemy is mental clutter. A lot of times as I start pedaling my mind gets filled with all kinds of garbage unrelated to biking: that jerk cut me off in traffic, the store employee was so rude, we need to hire a new employee, the house needs new paint, health insurance costs too much, there's going to be a drought this year, nuclear missiles are going to kill everyone, people I've known for years turn out to be racist, the country is a mess, why so many mass shootings, why are grown men sexually assaulting little girls, why did my kid’s friend try to commit suicide, how can people defend that impaired driver who just killed our cyclist friend, on and on...

Once I can get my mind focused on biking at least I can stop thinking about all that other stuff for awhile. Sometimes it takes a bit.

Then I get home and can read about silly topics like dropper posts and presta valves for a diversion.

mtbr member
    Beer?

12+ beers on weekend, had me struggling w/ last nights ride (was extremely humid also).

Was losing some serious gravy o_0

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Lately I've been encountering hikers that seem to be looking for conflict. Just yesterday I was speeding down a multi-use trail when I saw some hikers ahead. My bell alerted them long before I came up on them and pulled off to let them pass. I exchanged hellos with the first few but one in particular had to insert a snarky "thanks for using a bell and not mowing us down". Kinda caught me off guard and I just replied with a "your welcome" and a smile, but I spent the rest of my ride thinking of better responses. Responses that probably would have escalated the situation. This has happened before with people on horses. They've got this attitude that I'm in the wrong for pedaling my bike where they're torturing a horse with their obese bodies. Maybe I'm the asshole? /Rant

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Moose
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Great topic.

My worst enemy is mental clutter. A lot of times as I start pedaling my mind gets filled with all kinds of garbage unrelated to biking: that jerk cut me off in traffic, the store employee was so rude, we need to hire a new employee, the house needs new paint, health insurance costs too much, there's going to be a drought this year, nuclear missiles are going to kill everyone, people I've known for years turn out to be racist, the country is a mess, why so many mass shootings, why are grown men sexually assaulting little girls, why did my kid’s friend try to commit suicide, how can people defend that impaired driver who just killed our cyclist friend, on and on...

Once I can get my mind focused on biking at least I can stop thinking about all that other stuff for awhile. Sometimes it takes a bit.

Then I get home and can read about silly topics like dropper posts and presta valves for a diversion.
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Switchbacks have gotten harder because bikes are longer
    When I get out my old Stumpy from '97, switchbacks are easy again.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What "Nat" said...........and ticks! I hate those little bastards.
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    mostly mental for myself, if I am riding one of my local rides I do tend to day dream at times and loose my focus.

Hi There!
    When I saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was people that stop in the middle of the trail for whatever reason except injury, it's becoming out of control around here.

I agree with staying focused one as well, sometimes even if I have plans for something after the ride I catch myself thinking about that...which usually causes a mistake.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smf805 View Post
    Lately I've been encountering hikers that seem to be looking for conflict. Just yesterday I was speeding down a multi-use trail when I saw some hikers ahead. My bell alerted them long before I came up on them and pulled off to let them pass. I exchanged hellos with the first few but one in particular had to insert a snarky "thanks for using a bell and not mowing us down". Kinda caught me off guard and I just replied with a "your welcome" and a smile, but I spent the rest of my ride thinking of better responses. Responses that probably would have escalated the situation. This has happened before with people on horses. They've got this attitude that I'm in the wrong for pedaling my bike where they're torturing a horse with their obese bodies. Maybe I'm the asshole? /Rant

Interesting that the attitude you bemoan is so similar to the attitude with which you ponder. What's the worst enemy..their attitude or you imagining greater conflict?
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Leg cramps.

I have subjective age disorder. My mind thinks my body is 19 but my body is pretty sure I'm 55. Leads to a lot of "ouch, why does that hurt?" moments when I do something that aggravates one or more of the deteriorating joints I've created over the years. That and a poor night's sleep are my two nemeses.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Moose
    Møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

My worst enemies: Gravity and headwinds.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Interesting that the attitude you bemoan is so similar to the attitude with which you ponder. What's the worst enemy..their attitude or you imagining greater conflict?
    Their continued negative attitude rather than returning the smile and hello.

Cycologist
    ^^^ True, the "thanks for using a bell and not mowing us down" was probably a response to an experience with an earlier rider and was meant as a genuine "thanks". It's easy to imagine snark or the snark was actually toward the earlier rider.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jumps. Especially kickers and/or gap jumps.

I'm comfortable with small ones that don't send you directly skywards. I'm ok with tables and fine with drops of decent size. On the trails I'm always looking for rocks, roots and bumps to catch a little bit of air, but when I encounter man-built jumps my insticts tell me to take the chicken line.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have one section of trail I ride that has two spots that kick my butt
    root balls at the apex of a short steep climb, that immediately downhill after you clear them. they are two in a row, so you climb, try to clear one, then downhill around a corner.climb and then try to clear the second one I bet I run 2 fer 10 with clearing both of them on the same ride.
    Farley 7
    switchblade
    santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    ^^^ True, the "thanks for using a bell and not mowing us down" was probably a response to an experience with an earlier rider and was meant as a genuine "thanks". It's easy to imagine snark or the snark was actually toward the earlier rider.
    Agreed. Best to continue with good trail etiquette.

mtbr member
    Anaerobia. I go there a lot. The frequent technical climbs, though short, just take it out of me, always have. But I go slow and win my share.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    20 to 0mph in zero seconds, aside from that I have no enemies on the trail.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Riders with earphones
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    1. Unleashed dogs on the trail.
    2. joggers wearing earbuds going the same way as you are.
    3. slow bikers wearing earbuds.
    4. Ticks

mtbr member
    Gravity. My enemy, my friend.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    5mph gnats that can keep up with you on hill climbs.
    Yep. One place near me (french creek), it's so bad every time I'm riding there I say I'm never coming back. But I always do.

I have to find a scientist that can tell me why the gnats are so much worse there compared to other trail areas within a 20 mile radius. I also want to invent a thing to put on my helmet that spins pieces of fabric around my head to shoo them away... Like a horse does with their tail. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    1. joggers wearing earbuds going the same way as you are.
    2. slow bikers wearing earbuds.
    3. Ticks
    Fixed that for you.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rent this space for $
    Isis.

And occasionally, the Taliban.

They've complete infiltrated our local trail network.

mtbr member
    Sweat running in my eyes is my worst enemy despite one of those headband sweat stoppers .
    Next is the missus calling me with some stupid stuff despite instructions only to call me if it’s an emergency ....

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

Trail obstacles such as multi tools, tubes and PB&J sandwiches left from the riders that came before me using Awesome Straps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Sunglasses fogging up.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I have no enemies on the trail.

mtbr member
    Others users lacking etiquette skills.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    mostly mental for myself, if I am riding one of my local rides I do tend to day dream at times and loose my focus.
    Same here.
    There are some trails I've ridden hundreds of times and I know the lines like the back of my hand.
    My mind wanders, then boom, I'm having a yard sale.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
    Perhaps if she didn't Karv her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush, your sister would have been spared the møøse bite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Trail obstacles such as multi tools, tubes and PB&J sandwiches left from the riders that came before me using Awesome Straps.
    I would smack someone if I saw them trying to secure a PB&J with an Awesome Strap. That is blasphemy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yep. One place near me (french creek), it's so bad every time I'm riding there I say I'm never coming back. But I always do.

I have to find a scientist that can tell me why the gnats are so much worse there compared to other trail areas within a 20 mile radius. I also want to invent a thing to put on my helmet that spins pieces of fabric around my head to shoo them away... Like a horse does with their tail. Lol
    Deer flies can keep up with you at 10-12 mph. They make these scented sticky patches that go on the back of your helmet. Great to see them ( 10-20) stuck to it after a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Enemy? I loathe yellow jackets, the devil on wings. Very active here in the late summer and early fall, love building nests in holes on the trails, or to the side. What's worse than riding over a nest? Being the 6th person to do so, all riled up and angry at this point. Last year this happened to me, 3 stings on the back of each leg, one on each shoulder. Giant, red itching welts. So bad. So angry. After a re group there is this nasty, chunky maybe 200 ft long climb. I tear into it shouting" make a path" to all the riders in my group doing the hike a bike. Cleaned it for the first time. Ever. Then I just pedaled angry for the next 1/2 hr. Crushing all the climbs. So I guess it's natural doping? Hornet venom angry mad fueled doping? Those fuc*ers itch madly for a week.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Enemy? I loathe yellow jackets, the devil on wings. Very active here in the late summer and early fall, love building nests in holes on the trails, or to the side. What's worse than riding over a nest? Being the 6th person to do so, all riled up and angry at this point. Last year this happened to me, 3 stings on the back of each leg, one on each shoulder. Giant, red itching welts. So bad. So angry. After a re group there is this nasty, chunky maybe 200 ft long climb. I tear into it shouting" make a path" to all the riders in my group doing the hike a bike. Cleaned it for the first time. Ever. Then I just pedaled angry for the next 1/2 hr. Crushing all the climbs. So I guess it's natural doping? Hornet venom angry mad fueled doping? Those fuc*ers itch madly for a week.
    I try to get stung at the start of all races. It definitely helps get the blood flowing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I try to get stung at the start of all races. It definitely helps get the blood flowing.
    Ha! When I get stung I turn into the stay puff marshmellow man. I'd buy an epipen but I'd much rather just but another bike. N+1, the struggle is real.

What's your worst enemy when riding?-tarantula-hawk-800x520.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Anyone on the trail unaware of their surroundings.
    My lower back...ugg
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yellow Jackets for me too. I go into anaphylaxis from those little devils. Last year I got stung on two separate occasions on one ride! Luckily if I eat a bunch of benadryl right after I get stung I can usually beat the reaction, and don't need to stab myself with an epipen. Although... riding on tons of benadryl is also a challenge.

mtbr member
    Currently, it's the power company shuttin' down the trail next to my 'hood makin' me drive to another trailhead.

Long time nemeses: fitness, time, poor trail etiquette (me first is not always the right answer), trail branches that smack the hands or face, the cold winter wind.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    gravity is always trying to bring me down

mtbr member
    I concur with Leeboh...insects are the biggest pain to me. Especially black flies and deer flies on a long, hot uphill grind. They don't have to actually bite me...the endless buzzing around my head annoys the sh*t out of me. Also great when you're sucking wind in the middle of a climb, breath one into your lungs and have a choking attack.

And I have run into ground nests of hornets in the trail where the first couple of guys just piss them off for the remaining riders. We still laugh about one guy who got stung, freaked out, dropped his bike and started running to escape them instead of just pedaling faster. It took at least a half hour before we could retrieve his bike...what a moron!

Winter rides are great...no bugs!!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

The laws of physics keep popping up.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Yeah, those physical laws are unreasonably strict
    Anything that makes unnatural noise. Bike, people, dogs. Funny I never notice my hubs, though they're not silent. If I did, my next wheelset would definitely feature Onyx ones.

Co Springs
    I know I can be in better shape and stronger but I'm not altogether unhappy as is.
    Pretty sure that'll change as I get into bigger rides and continue riding with those stronger and often times younger. I'll start to get ornery falling behind or struggling too much. I do think I can mitigate that some by making sure I ramp up a bit more and we as a group trend to bigger rides rather than last minute surprises.

That said, my usual enemy is poor timing on trail when it gets crumbly, boulderish and big stumps or roots. I'll tend to pedal strike at just the slow enough speed to not recover and end up dabbing or walking.
    I'll add to that the occasional uphill twisty climb with off-camber tight turns that demand rhythm, nuances of balance and consistent torque. Those can throw me too.

I'm off bp meds now and was on a small dose for a few years. I hope to drop the cholesterol pill too but we'll see. Can do better at eating the 'right' foods and daily exercise rather than the weekend warrior stuff.
    I'm told that will help.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Lack of confidence in a techy section. I've had places I've cleaned plenty of times then I'll mess it up. Then after that, next time I ride through there I'll be worried about not making it and sure enough, I won't make it through. Yeah, should session more.
    It is amazing how effective sessioning a challenging section can be. On one of our local trails, there is an awkward slippery diagonal log roll/drop. I rode it successfully dozens of times over the course of a couple years, then for some reason, I got a mental block, and stopped riding it for probably over a year.

I had it in my mind that it had changed in that it was either too slippery/moss covered or that the downslope side had eroded such that it wasn't really rollable any more. One day, I decided I was going to session it until I was able to ride it clean like before.

Took about 5 or 6 tries to dial it back in, but in the year or so since, I've made that section cleanly every single time I have ridden it.

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarantula-hawk-800x520.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1178613
    You just had to go there.

mtbr member

You're not alone!
    2016 El Oso Grande 6x1 (3 sets of wheels)

mtbr member
    Getting back in time to watch kids or take them to whatever. My 2 hour rides can turn into 6 hour rides especially in the summer in the backcountry. Then I get some beers and food afterwards then I get home late and am in trouble or I am just too tired from the long ride and beers and lay on the couch while they get in trouble. Either way it was nice back in the day before all that even though bikes are much better now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I haven't been sleeping well. I stay up until 2 am most nights. It's terrible.

I am feeling okay about my bike handing these days, although it's still nagging at me as I start those climbs with 180 degree +6ft switchbacks we all have to power up.

I'm about the same as last year on tech stuff.

I am having more fun though, riding more, set some goals for myself this year. I got my GF riding, and she's really enjoying it, and we've had fun doing it together.

I got a new (to me) bike six months ago. Sometimes I am riding and I suddenly can't get over how much I love it. I'm doing a lot of customization to carry my equipment on the bike, and am having a lot of fun.

If I could figure out how to fall asleep at midnight I'd be a happy camper for 2018!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    pedal strikes and spiky plants

mtbr member
    You just had to go there.
    That's a tarantula hawk wasp.

They usually don't sting you, but when they do, it is noticeable.

From Wikipedia:

In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt sting pain index,

slow
    Rattlesnakes, mountain lions, and a degree of boredom with the same old trails.

Deviant
    Florida humidity. Sweating doesn't cool you off like it does in drier climates. I'm acclimated but it's a wet ride and you become a giant piece of flypaper and all the bugs stick to you.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I see what you did there, sir. Well played.

mtbr member
    Breaking parts and bikes.

Riding buddies with kids and family obligations...I'm a bad influence. Real bad.

One more beer syndrome on weekend campout/rides.

Wildfires

Rain
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Nat
    mtbr member
    IPAs. They’re nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

DJ knows, oh, he knows…

I lucked out, having one bounce off my face during a fast descent but not getting stung.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

From Wikipedia:
    DJ knows, oh, he knows…

I lucked out, having one bounce off my face during a fast descent but not getting stung.
    Boy do I. Wgscott, they sting you if you step on them barefoot. And lucky me they are rated #2 on the list of the 10 most painful insect bites / stings to humans on the planet. Trust me you don’t want to step on one like I did barefoot.

mtbr member
    Trust me you don’t want to step on one like I did barefoot.
    I'll trust you on that but IME that's probably about the only way to get stung by one. They are industrious creatures and seem oblivious to anything not pertaining to their "work", humans included.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Sneaker man
    Apart from fitness (which is slowly getting better) it the small drops (well I don't do big drops), the sort you roll through. I;ve been working on getting better and I am...but th sot of stuff 25 years ago I would be going down yehaw! with no suspension and canti brakes, now days on FS with 5 inch of travel. little stuff I shoudl be flat out down and I'm all oooooh OTB terror. Get down and look up and think you wuss thats all piss easy.

its the getting old and not want to crash/break stuff (me mostly) self presevation. But I'm trying more and getting better. (still shit though)
    All the gear and no idea.

always licking the glass
    My own mind. I get stuck in it and spend too much time embracing my inner chicken

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I'll trust you on that but IME that's probably about the only way to get stung by one. They are industrious creatures and seem oblivious to anything not pertaining to their "work", humans included.
    On a ride late last summer there must have been one of those wasps hovering over or next to the trail every 25 yards or so. You're right, they seemed to be in seek and destroy mode and not bothered by me going past. I could easily do body-english around them (but still not without some anxiety).
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Broken spokes. Always drive side rear so I have to take the cluster off.
    Who carries the big, heavy tools to do that on the bike?

mtbr member
    IPAs. They’re nasty.
    Do you really believe that? I compare IPA's to angles from heaven after a tough ride.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

Yep, it happened while jet skiing on the east edge of San Diego, a desert region. Sitting on the edge of this lake in a lawn chair almost every weekend for 10 years I’d see them all the time. Working along flipping over rocks and clumps of dirt looking for a Tarantula den. Just feet from us and oblivious to our presence.

banned
    May 2017
    Surprised no one posted this yet, but mine is PEOPLE, humans suck for the most part and the last place I want to see them is on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Surprised no one posted this yet, but mine is PEOPLE, humans suck for the most part and the last place I want to see them is on the trail.
    I said it but then deleted it out of fear of retaliation. >

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Do you really believe that? I compare IPA's to angles from heaven after a tough ride.
    Way to go off on a tangent.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    mental clutter
    OXIVE carbon MTB wheelset:)2017 lightweight T800 and T700 24 27 30 33 35 40 42 50mm width www.oxivecarbon.com

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Apart from fitness (which is slowly getting better) it the small drops (well I don't do big drops), the sort you roll through. I;ve been working on getting better and I am...but th sot of stuff 25 years ago I would be going down yehaw! with no suspension and canti brakes, now days on FS with 5 inch of travel. little stuff I shoudl be flat out down and I'm all oooooh OTB terror. Get down and look up and think you wuss thats all piss easy.

its the getting old and not want to crash/break stuff (me mostly) self presevation. But I'm trying more and getting better. (still shit though)
    Ha !
    I can so relate to every word of your comment !! Still funny though even if we are laughing at ourselves.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Switchbacks have gotten harder because bikes are longer
    When I get out my old Stumpy from '97, switchbacks are easy again.

i had trouble with switchbacks on my karakoram, my alibi, my superlight and practically every other bike i've ever owned.

no, i can't use "longer and lower" as an excuse.

thanks anyway!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yeah, angles don’t come from heaven. They come from a parallel universe maybe, but there’s no such thing as heaven.

mtbr member
    there’s no such thing as heaven.
    Well, that's your hypotenuse anyway.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Well, that's your hypotenuse anyway.
    It’s the truth and I have proof. I’ve even had a scientist cosine it.
    Last edited by Nat; 01-18-2018 at 01:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [email protected]!

Yeah, angles don’t come from heaven. They come from a parallel universe maybe, but there’s no such thing as heaven.
    Hang on, Roma Downey was an angle (and acute one at that) and she came from heaven. I saw it on TV!
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Bears, lions, and switchbacks. I've had close colon loosening encounters with a bear and a lion and I've met the dirt on too many switchbacks.

The actual bear and lion encounters are only half the issue; the other half is worrying about them on long solo rides in the real backcountry. Switchbacks I can always walk if no one is looking.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Bears, lions, and switchbacks. I've had close colon loosening encounters with a bear and a lion and I've met the dirt on too many switchbacks.

The actual bear and lion encounters are only half the issue; the other half is worrying about them on long solo rides in the real backcountry. Switchbacks I can always walk if no one is looking.
    oh yeah forgot about wildlfe, don't have bears or lions, but it's australia so anything that moves will probably kill you... nothing like coming around a hairpin to find a tiger snake lying there... or on the roadie and there is a brown snake stretching all the way across the highway...you just wait till they are long gone, or a truck does a skid across it.

But usually I just see skippies or hedghogs on my rides, so their cute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    NE humidity... ugh

mtbr member
    Hills I can't ride up/lack of fitness, lack of skills, scary tech sections... Those are what motivate me to ride, not what prevents me from riding.

Mosquitoes and gnats motivate me to try to keep riding faster than they can fly...which is good for improving fitness, and in some cases, skills.
    What, me worry?

Cycologist
    I've not started the year off well. I'm also a trail runner and usually run before work a couple of days a week but the showers at work were out of order for November and December so I only got a few runs in. I had hoped to get a lot of rides and runs in over the Christmas break, got a few but too many other commitments. Then I got a really bad cold and I haven't done anything the last couple of weeks, I think it's close to a month now with no mtb. But I'm getting out this weekend, I might even go for a run tomorrow morning, but I'm worried I've lost some fitness, it goes fast when you're no longer a kid.

Oh well, I guess that is part of it.

Professional Crastinator
    My ego-centric self just skipped reading all the posts here so I could hurry up and post my own post.

Time. Never enough. Always in the back of my mind is that I have to be somewhere else at such-and-such a time. And it's not like I don't get time to ride (although I don't see many of my pals out at 5:15am). I just don't get a whole day, or weekend trips like I used to.

Temptation. I started MTBing in the early '90's on trails that are now closed to bikes. There are several that I would really like to ride again. Every day. But I don't.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Time. Never enough.
    ...says the "Professional Crastinator." Is there a connection to be found?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    IBID, Post 54
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Love the challenge of switchbacks and I’ve become pretty good at them, climbing or descending. Of course there was that one time two years ago I was climbing a pretty steep incline going Mach Zero and as I working my way around a switchback I stalled and tipped over. I was clipped in and landed with my hand right on a cactus. Spent a half an hour pulling spines out trail side with my fingernails and then another hour at home with tweezers. Add tweezers to the “Things you carry while riding” thread.

So, one of me fears is cactus located within switchbacks.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm way better at left-hand switchbacks than I am at right-hand switchbacks. I'm pretty smooth going hard left. Hard right can be comical sometimes.

I'm way better at left-hand switchbacks than I am at right-hand switchbacks. I'm pretty smooth going hard left. Hard right can be comical sometimes.
    Yep, if you are right handed turning left is naturally easier.

loud hubs save lives
    Sandy or leafy corners and tires that don’t bite through.

My ribs are still sore after 3 weeks from a crash in the leaves and I’ll never run an ardent as a front tire again after a rough month a couple summers ago.

mtbr member
    I'm better at left-handed switchbacks going down, but better at right-handed switchbacks coming up.

...And now, thanks to all of you, I'm scratching my head as to why?

I'm better at left-handed switchbacks going down, but better at right-handed switchbacks coming up.

Have you ever heard the term “goofy foot”? You’re goofy footed. Take a slalom water skier, snowboarder, skateboarder, wakeboarder, surfer, board sports. If you you are right handed the right foot normally goes to the back of the board. If you are right handed but are considered “goofy foot” your right foot goes to the front of the board as does a left handed person does normally. Ya goof!

Wait a minute, this still doesn’t explain your goofy situation. Back to the drawing board.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    In Summer, chiggers and ticks.

Winter, it used to be the cold. When temps hit the 40's I'd start shutting down and quickly start losing any fitness I'd gained.
    This year I made myself ride and something just clicked. I've been enjoying riding with temps in the teens. I was told my clock just passed middle age...true, but it hurt my feelings.

-Dave

I definitely am much better descending left-handed switchbacks than right-handed. I suck equally at climbing either way.

And I could only ever skateboard goofy-foot.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Nice...I see what you did there!

Maybe too many IPA's impaktid my spel chekker?
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Have you ever heard the term “goofy foot”? You’re goofy footed. Take a slalom water skier, snowboarder, skate boarder, wake boarder, surfer, board sports. If you you are right handed the right foot normally goes to the back of the board. If you are right handed but are considered “goofy foot” your right foot goes to the front of the board as does a left handed person does normally. Ya goof!

Wait a minute, this still doesn’t explain your goofy situation. Back to the drawing board.
    Yep, definitely ride/skate goofy.

Have you ever heard the term “goofy foot”? You’re goofy footed. Take a slalom water skier, snowboarder, skateboarder, wakeboarder, surfer, board sports. If you you are right handed the right foot normally goes to the back of the board. If you are right handed but are considered “goofy foot” your right foot goes to the front of the board as does a left handed person does normally. Ya goof!

Yep, definitely ride/skate goofy.
    Well there it is then, I nailed it. You’re goofy footed which effects you different in doing switchbacks than a normal right handed person. I missed my calling. I should have done something in the medical discovery field.

Bikesexual
    Well there it is then, I nailed it. You’re goofy footed which effects you different in doing switchbacks than a normal right handed person. I missed my calling. I should have done something in the medical discovery field.
    Hmm I must be double goofy footed...bummers
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Hmm I must be double goofy footed...bummers
    No, just a freak of nature, ambidextrous.

Edit: Oh wait, you meant it the other way, didn’t you? Can’t do it either way.

mtbr member

I figured he was just lopsided.

Bikesexual
    No, just a freak of nature, ambidextrous.

Edit: Oh wait, you meant it the other way, didn’t you? Can’t do it either way.
    Nah, you were right the first time!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Nat
    mtbr member
    Nah, you were right the first time!
    You can ride your bike switch (backwards) through a switchback? Nice!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    When I saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was people that stop in the middle of the trail for whatever reason except injury, it's becoming out of control around here.
    Yeah have to admit this is becoming a bit annoying. There's one place near me, you do this like 10min climb before a nice DH, it's not the hardest climb in the world but its all upness. You get to the top and there will be a group stopped, now whatever, I'm fine with you taking a break, having a yak or regrouping, fine but don't be 3-5 people all filling up the trail and then looking at me weirdly because I don't appear to be stopping at the top of the climb...I mean 10 meters away is a clearing where the trail forks, you can see it yet every time every stops in the same narrow spot!

Bikesexual
    You can ride your bike switch (backwards) through a switchback? Nice!
    I'm going to have to "gopro" that!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm going to have to "gopro" that!
    Post it up so I can react to it on my YouTube channel "Nat Reacts!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I figured he was just lopsided.
    Lol...also a possibility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Riding - I absolutely love it and that is the problem.
    What is keeping me back are the old injuries popping up in a middle of a ride. These are not the type that stop you on the trail, but the ones you know are going to take you out for a few weeks, months, if not forever. This also means I can't ride in a way to step up the fitness, cause that is when things go south. In fact today I mashed the peddles out of the saddle pretty good on a long uphill and felt great, now the hip says shouldn'vd done that. Oh well, I had a good ride.
    It was really great being young and damn sucks getting old.

The other stuff like crashing, trail dorks, good days, bad days, fast days, etc., are what riding is all about and that is why I ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Currently my arms are my worst enemy. They give out pretty early on rides these days. I got diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and both arms are toast within 20-30 minutes of decent dh. I've been doing a lot of physical therapy, some acupuncture, had some chiropractics and am finally getting back into riding. Oh, and the cortisone shots helped a lot too. #doper

mtbr member
    Time, Fitness...fear( I'm getting old ... I am old) tight steep sharp rocky single track turns( I can't pivot turn for sh*t)
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    Riding - I absolutely love it and that is the problem.
    What is keeping me back are the old injuries popping up in a middle of a ride.
    One thing that will really help you is a little weight training mixed with stretch. I nursed a damaged shoulder (result of a very fast OTB) for a year. Then in 4 short weeks it was all better. A trainer showed how to use the cable weights at a gym, and even at my advanced age (then 59) the body responded quickly. No more "my weak side"! Now I've just got to get over the mental thing that keeps me pulling on the brakes, that seems a bit harder to do.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Great topic.

I have a very active mind as well. That's why I've been riding more technical trails lately that make me shut my brain off. Some of our rides have serious penalties for distraction. It's anxiety provoking pre and during rides but I feel like I've been meditating when I'm done. I broke my hand pretty bad on one ride in August but I'm right back to it. It's the price I'm willing to pay for a temporary brain break I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Poison oak, ticks, low back pain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lack of confidence in a techy section. I've had places I've cleaned plenty of times then I'll mess it up. Then after that, next time I ride through there I'll be worried about not making it and sure enough, I won't make it through...
    This sometimes happens to me but I now have a trick to get my confidence back. If i fail to clear something I normally clear twice in a row. The next time I approach it, I will intentionally focus on something else, like another section of trail or pick a point beyond the obstacle, muscle memory does the rest and I always clear it without issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Noise made by motorcyles bothers me, it's like shit, I can even get rid of the noise in the forest. Riders are usually cool dudes, but the loud noise kills that feeling of being lost in the woods alone, just riding along with nature.
    Also my low level of energy, that makes riding for too long a torture. I'm doing some medical tests to hopefully found why I feel so tired.
    Aaaaand, my 125mm dropper post. Need to upgrade that thing.

mtbr member
    My worst enemy is mental clutter
    I can't relate to that one because I go riding to get rid of mental clutter. Mountain biking forces me to focus on the trail directly in front of me and nothing else. Road biking allows me to focus on breathing, and sometimes botany and geology.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    I can't relate to that one because I go riding to get rid of mental clutter. Mountain biking forces me to focus on the trail directly in front of me and nothing else. Road biking allows me to focus on breathing, and sometimes botany and geology.
    +1

Yep, I ride to get away!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Cycologist
    Same here, except for that botany and geology part. I love the focus required when mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Same here, except for that botany and geology part. I love the focus required when mountain biking.
    Yeah I can only let my mind wander there sometimes on the road bike, way too much going on when riding the mtb for that.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Nat
    mtbr member
    Like I said, sometimes it takes a bit before I can focus. I tell myself that biking helps clear my mind.

Cycologist
    Yeah I can only let my mind wander there sometimes on the road bike, way too much going on when riding the mtb for that.
    Now i'm wondering what my brain is doing when I road bike. I know that when I trail run, my brain is definitely thinking about other things, helps to keep my mind off the fact that I'm running.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Cardiovascular fitness, or the lack of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I have subjective age disorder. My mind thinks my body is 19 but my body is pretty sure I'm 55. Leads to a lot of "ouch, why does that hurt?" moments when I do something that aggravates one or more of the deteriorating joints I've created over the years. That and a poor night's sleep are my two nemeses.
    I will agree with these and add temperatures over 70*F...I hate riding in the heat
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Mtbr is

mtbr member
    "in the zone" is everything to me biking. Those moments when you and your bike become one and time is meaningless. Every move you make is a reflex and happens instantaneously. These are the moments I'm after. These are the moments I ponder after the fact sometimes for years ongoing. Bliss.

I don't think it's news but these moments are actually extremely good for you, your brain, and your wellbeing. Probably back to when hunting equaled life. Keep hunting

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My biggest enemy last year was despair. I attempted the Tour Divide but I had so many things going on at home (lawsuit from my ex-wife, medical malpractice suit, starting out as an independent contractor) that I couldn't concentrate on the race and felt ashamed sometimes to be out there. I could never get away from the troubles in my head and quit just past Butte.

Things look brighter now. The only thing that saved the year was my marriage to my beautiful wife a year ago.

I should have bagged the race, saved my money, and done it another year. If God is kind to me and things work out I'm planning a repeat in 2019. Northbound, this time (from Antelope Wells to Banff, most people race it the other way) to avoid the cold, snow, and rain that seem to dog the first week of the race.

I love bikepacking but I'm not that good at it, ha ha.

Stemple Pass, 30 miles down the road from Eureka, Montana.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your worst enemy when riding?-img_3191.jpg  

Trail Ninja
    "in the zone" is everything to me biking. Those moments when you and your bike become one and time is meaningless. Every move you make is a reflex and happens instantaneously. These are the moments I'm after. These are the moments I ponder after the fact sometimes for years ongoing. Bliss.

I don't think it's news but these moments are actually extremely good for you, your brain, and your wellbeing. Probably back to when hunting equaled life. Keep hunting
    You actually become in-the-zone on the bike? I've only felt that a few times in life, to the point that I remember the last time pretty vividly (was probably 4-5 seconds worth). It's like slow-mo. Super enhanced senses. I can't reliably trigger it and I don't remember the times where it only happens for a split second. It is like a forced calmness, when faced with a demanding accuracy and timing based challenge. Just gotta raise my out-of-the-zone game...

I try all sorts of mind-tricks to get my motor skills trained. Such as for cornering, I will steer with my outside shoulder, pushing my outside arm to point the wheel accurately, drop my inside arm loosely, and push my inside knee forward. I'll try to point the wheel wide before a turn, such as hitting the top of a berm early, and aim then for the apex, cutting the inside. Once my front wheel is clear, I'll do a combo move where I'll push the front wheel forward where I want it to go, while dropping my weight into the rear sharply to snap the bike like a cuttie, and prepare to pedal the bike, with optional wheelie, to get it back on track to prepare for the trail ahead. xD

My worst enemy is lack of memory, or poor memory. If I try to remember a section and ride the line again, sometimes I'll crash if it has changed. If I don't remember a section, I'll be slowing down to pick out lines. I make quite a lot of mistakes riding blind, and miss out on a lot of things since I lack momentum, or am in the wrong gear, or just came out the last section with a poor line. Trauma comes in at a close second. If I lock-up my body or brake check something, the results tend to be pretty sketchy. I used to go pretty fast and big on jumps, but now jumps are hucks to flat since I my mind sort of goes blank and I freeze up; I can't connect any take offs to any sort of landing. I blame trauma from a bad jumping incident (another angle).

What's your worst enemy when riding?-bkhe0hc.jpg
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

I’m going to go out on a limb here. Not much of an enemy as it is a distraction. But it’s what I enjoy so it’s alright by me. What is he talking about? I’m distracted constantly while riding looking in all directions for wildlife or even an amazing scenic landscape. The very reason I can’t film with helmet mounted camera. The viewers wouldn't see much of the trail straight ahead, trust me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My worst enemy is my brain....for me MTB is all about mindfulness, whenever my brain leaves the present moment that I am in, I end up on the ground.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Cycologist

Agreed and that's what I meant to say in that "A Lines or B Lines" thread/train wreck. When I'm in the zone on a trail and come to an intersection or alt line, my brain has to think about which way to go so it forces me to come out of the zone. I find that really annoying when it is happening a lot. Once I'm familiar with the trail and already know which way I'm going it's fine.

I’m going to go out on a limb here. Not much of an enemy as it is a distraction. But it’s what I enjoy so it’s alright by me. What is he talking about? I’m distracted constantly while riding looking in all directions for wildlife or even an amazing scenic landscape. The very reason I can’t film with helmet mounted camera. The viewers wouldn't see much of the trail straight ahead, trust me.
    As I've said, I'm pretty focused when I'm riding but not when I'm running. I've tripped many times running because I was watching some deer or something instead of the trail. And sometimes I do slow down or stop on the bike to take in my surroundings or just do an easier ride, especially if it is somewhere new. There is one place about an hour from me that I've ridden a couple of times with several nice waterfalls so they become destinations to reach to stop and explore. Another cool thing about bikes, many ways to ride!

mtbr member
    Trail dorks - stanmding around in groups on the trail talking, resting, etc...in the middle of the trail, as if no one else might want to use the trails. Totally takes you out of the zone

New A or B lines on your regular trail. You get in the zone, get a good pace and rhythm going, and up pops a fork in the trail that was never there before, causing you to stop and think about 1) which way does the "real" trail go and 2) what a-hole decided they could modify the trail to suit their needs/wants

Neither really ruins my day, but it does take something away.

Agreed and that's what I meant to say in that "A Lines or B Lines" thread/train wreck. When I'm in the zone on a trail and come to an intersection or alt line, my brain has to think about which way to go so it forces me to come out of the zone. I find that really annoying when it is happening a lot. Once I'm familiar with the trail and already know which way I'm going it's fine.

As I've said, I'm pretty focused when I'm riding but not when I'm running. I've tripped many times running because I was watching some deer or something instead of the trail. And sometimes I do slow down or stop on the bike to take in my surroundings or just do an easier ride, especially if it is somewhere new. There is one place about an hour from me that I've ridden a couple of times with several nice waterfalls so they become destinations to reach to stop and explore. Another cool thing about bikes, many ways to ride!
    I often stop in scenic areas just to take in the view and ponder life’s existence. And to look for wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLyman View Post
    Trail dorks - stanmding around in groups on the trail talking, resting, etc...in the middle of the trail, as if no one else might want to use the trails. Totally takes you out of the zone

New A or B lines on your regular trail. You get in the zone, get a good pace and rhythm going, and up pops a fork in the trail that was never there before, causing you to stop and think about 1) which way does the "real" trail go and 2) what a-hole decided they could modify the trail to suit their needs/wants

Neither really ruins my day, but it does take something away.
    Word.

Snow Dog
    I am also in this camp, especially the first time I ride a trail...I think that is why people don't like to ride with me. A lot of the guys I used to ride with were only focused on riding as absolutely fast and hard as they could...every time. For me, I like speed, but I also like to just cruise and appreciate as well. I usually do not ride within a boxed time frame..like a lunch break or in between other plans, so I generally don't feel rushed to finish a ride. I now have a few friends who ride the same, and we all enjoy the experience. More enjoyable as well since there is no competition or posturing

However, when I do stop, I ALWAYS get off the trail, and I NEVER stop in an area where I know other guys will be coming at a fast pace and need room to navigate...mostly b/c I hate when people do that to me. I already feel like I am a trail dork while riding, I don't want to be one when not moving

LET IT SNOW!

the half breed devil
    Currently my arms are my worst enemy. They give out pretty early on rides these days. I got diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and both arms are toast within 20-30 minutes of decent dh. I've been doing a lot of physical therapy, some acupuncture, had some chiropractics and am finally getting back into riding. Oh, and the cortisone shots helped a lot too. #doper
    mmmmm, cortisone shots. i've had two or three of them since mid october. they jab the needle right into my shoulder joint, so good, so goooood...

the physician's assistant who does it is pretty cute, though.

nothing like a mature lady who has taken very good care of herself throughout the years.

Pipe Dreamer
    Spiderwebs

mtbr member
    I would say fear of injury. I didn't care about that when I was younger in the military because whatever, I'd still be getting paid. Now if I crashed and broke an arm I worry what it would do for my job. I probably shouldn't worry, we had a guy hit a deer while he was riding his motorcycle and he was tore up pretty good with a broken leg and they found stuff for him to do. Still, I'd prefer to not have to deal with that. It's hard to build an airplane if you are all broken up. So as a result I'm much more conservative while riding. It's fine, as long as I'm out in the dirt I'm pretty happy, I don't have to be doing crazy jumps n stuff off of crazy features.

I'm also bothered by the fact that after all these decades I still can't wheelie or manual worth a damn lol....

Pipe Dreamer
    Booby traps

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Booby traps
    there was a guy who used to set booby traps on the northwest side of china camp state park in marin.

Pipe Dreamer
    there was a guy who used to set booby traps on the northwest side of china camp state park in marin.
    I recall reading a few booby trap threads over the years here at mtbr. That would be an awful thing to be afraid of if it's happening where you ride!

mtbr member
    Prolly this joker

https://youtu.be/h9uBy2JVcj0

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^I so need to watch that again, heck, I should own it!

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    Time...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Off camber stuff, loose gravel and cow/horse/dog crap. They will all find a way to my bike, or make me find a way to the ground, every single time.

mtbr member
    Horse shit, dog shit, heaven (it's real, bombing down a trail w/o a care in the world) forbid a human :gag: :barf: :hurl: >.<

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Horse shit, dog shit, heaven (it's real, bombing down a trail w/o a care in the world) forbid a human :gag: :barf: :hurl: >.<

i ran through dog poop this afternoon.

god [email protected]%M people who don't pick up after their dogs!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Lack of bike maintenance. I ride to work daily and work about 12 hours. There isn't enough time to work on the bike during the week after work, so it gets out of whack near the end of the week, especially if it's been raining.

That means the bike will have less than ideal tire pressure, brake and shifting a bit off, and the chain and derailleur pulleys bone dry.

It makes the bike slower and me having to work harder. It also sounds clunky and squeaky. Plus, it gets pretty dirty.

I've decided to keep a pump, chain lube and a couple tools at work and maintain it while I'm on break. I'm going to buy a pump right away.

mtbr member
    GoPro affect o_0

Just watched a DH video of one of my local trails...

It's definitely gnarlier than it looks on camera >.<

https://youtu.be/-yN4PCNVg68

mtbr member

Pineccones

We have these little round and conical shaped things about the diameter of a tennis or baseball someone keeps leaving all over the trail. They are always in your line, forcing you to quickly readjust. I am not sure, but I think these are the culprits leaving them on the trail:What's your worst enemy when riding?-red-squirrel-eating-pine-cone.jpg
    Also, super trail dork today. Parked on trail with speaker playing music. As I pass, he falls in behind me. Great, now I get to listen to his music even longer. Luckily I dropped him quickly, which sad, because I am 5'10" and 230 lbs.

Trail Ninja
    GoPro affect o_0

https://youtu.be/-yN4PCNVg68

Could be an interesting mind trick to make the gopro effect into your own perspective. Maybe it's your mind that is exaggerating things! The only thing I struggle to imagine from that perspective is the difficulty of holding onto the bike while exhausted and pedaling.

I'd be so tired and unable to hold onto the bike trying to replicate this. I'd be holding my breath & clenching my teeth for every moderate impact, unable to tell myself to stay loose.

Those pinecones sometimes spook me when I am on a road bike, when they're on the shoulder, especially at night. Part of the reason why I commute by mtb now. xD

What's worse are those invisible greasy/slime mold spots. Typically wet spots are grippier than dry in my area, except when there's this mold in it. It even sticks to the tire and makes things sketchy for a while. I sometimes encounter them on my commutes, originating from lawn care maintenance, either from tires tracks crossing the lawns and dragging the stuff over into my path or from water run-off--scary when you have to make turns for some reason, such as to dodge cones, storm drains, or if you're heading in that direction.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Could be an interesting mind trick to make the gopro effect into your own perspective. Maybe it's your mind that is exaggerating things! The only thing I struggle to imagine from that perspective is the difficulty of holding onto the bike while exhausted and pedaling.
    There's a couple of features in there I won't hit...

Not ashamed to admit it ^^

They just look a lot smaller on the GoPro, that's all ;-)

mtbr member

Maybe because the camera is pointing straight down? The little I saw looked plenty gnarly to me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Rides all the bikes!
    Work

Having a damn job is holding me back. I'm too slow to make money racing (other than the small $100 winnings I've gotten here and there). But I hate the fact that I will never know what could have been because I found sports too late in my life. And I can't dedicate any more time than I already am (over 20 hours this week).

My fear of heights doesn't help things. I can turn it down pretty far, almost muted, but it does prevent me from a few things here and there. I have one obstacle I still haven't gone down (called BFR) that is because of it, I just need to suck it up and get it done (I've only seen one person in real life do it). It has slowed down my progress with bigger jumps and gaps, but I've gotten pretty good and turning down the fear there, but still working and feeling more comfortable in the air for getting style in.

Bikesexual
    It's very interesting (and refreshing) to read everyone's "fears" or enemies.

Even more so, those of you that have been at this for a while. In a weird way, it has given more confidence as I continue to learn.

That.."I'm not alone" thing is helpful.

Cool thread!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Work

Having a damn job is holding me back. I'm too slow to make money racing (other than the small $100 winnings I've gotten here and there). But I hate the fact that I will never know what could have been because I found sports too late in my life. And I can't dedicate any more time than I already am (over 20 hours this week).
    Priorities man!

20 hours riding a week is actually pretty big I'd imagine comparatively.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My worst enemy?

The chair in my home office.

Yep.

When I come home from work and I sit in that stupid chair, it becomes a struggle to find the energy to walk upstairs, get changed, and get out.

The conversation goes like this:
    Me: *sigh* I really want to go for a ride.
    Lazy Me: I'm really tired. I'll check Facebook, MTBR, almost anything.
    Me: I'm going to regret it if I don't go for a ride.
    Lazy Me: Same old boring trails, routes, people, bike...
    Me, now sitting on the bed getting changed into riding gear.
    Lazy Me: Take your time, play with the dogs.
    Me: I just wasted an hour..ugh.
    Lazy Me: fine go for your ride.

Me, an hour or two later: So glad I went for a ride.

mtbr member
    When visiting a friend in Boulder, I was doing hill repeats on the west side of town into the mtns at night. Kept thinking I was gonna end up with a mountain lion backpack. Creepy.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    When visiting a friend in Boulder, I was doing hill repeats on the west side of town into the mtns at night. Kept thinking I was gonna end up with a mountain lion backpack. Creepy.
    You must be from back east. Welcome to the west.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by O_evetS View Post
    Lazy Me: Take your time, play with the dogs.
    Me: I just wasted an hour..ugh.
    Doesn't sound like wasted time...

Priorities man!

20 hours riding a week is actually pretty big I'd imagine comparatively.

Seems like a lot, but something I love to do, so I just feel like I lack recovery time by going to work. It was easier when I had a desk job, as my work was essentially recovery (was commuting 50 miles round trip at the time).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Work

I'm with you there. I have to work about 18 12-hour shifts a month in the ER and while it doesn't sound like a lot, it really is, especially if I work four or five in a row and have to drive or otherwise travel to the ER. It cuts into my ride time and I confess that after getting home in the morning, my motivation to set the alarm for only five hours of sleep so I can have good ride wanes as the days go by. Lately I've just been going to the gym in the afternoon for 45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weights. I know I could ride for an hour and a half but for some reason being able to schedule a discrete workout is doable while committing to a boring ride out to the trail and back is not.

Plus I confess that my two year Tour Divide foray wore me out a little. I injured my knee last year and, compared to before I left, have hardly been on the bike since July. Maybe I ride ten times a month, never more than thirty miles at a time.

I'm actually selling some bikes (culling the herd) and I'm going to get a full-suspension bike to start riding trails again. I've been almost exclusively gravel grinding for the last two years. Hope to get back to my roots, so to speak.

Give'er!
    Ticks.

****ing Creepy Blood sucking nastyness like why do you exist?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHB View Post
    Ticks.

****ing Creepy Blood sucking nastyness like why do you exist?!
    Retweet

mtbr member
    Cholla

What's your worst enemy when riding?-golfercactus.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Cholla

Name:	GolferCactus.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	1179286
    Wth is that a joke?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by injected59 View Post
    Wth is that a joke?
    The medics are looking at him like "dude, it sucks to be you!"

Anyone who's had even one of those cholla balls attached to them knows how tenacious they are, once those barbs touch you they will not let go. That guy's in for a world of hurt!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    nope not a joke. not my pic just found a nasty one. The funny thing is its called teddybear cholla. they are not soft or cuddly even if this guy thought so. also known as jumping cholla. dont touch. If you ever come to the AZ desert and ride make sure you have a comb.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Rent this space for $
    I bet golfer boy thinks twice before shanking another one off the fairway! Prolly ought to take up mtb'ing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Roots that aren't perpendicular to the trail. Especially when they are wet or mossy. If I hit a root straight on (90 degree angle), they aren't a problem. But when they run in the same direction as the trail, or at slight angles, they sometimes turn the front wheel when you're not expecting it.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I'm with you there. I have to work about 18 12-hour shifts a month in the ER and while it doesn't sound like a lot, it really is, especially if I work four or five in a row and have to drive or otherwise travel to the ER.-
    Medical professional schedules suck...for everyone.

Snow Dog
    Cholla

screw....that.....!

again, would MUCH rather deal with snow, ice, minus-anything temps, and frostbite then any part of this....

LET IT SNOW!

The world is never short on morons doing it for fun.

mtbr member
    I got a new one...going OTB during winter riding and bouncing off frozen tundra. Good news is I didn't land on my head. Bad news is I have a separated shoulder so no riding until I get this checked out and healed up.

Holy Sh*t...that cactus looks like big fun to deal with.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler

slow
    Cholla

Looks like he was golfing. I'll stick to mountain biking because it is much safer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLyman View Post
    Trail dorks - standing around in groups on the trail talking, resting, etc...in the middle of the trail, as if no one else might want to use the trails. Totally takes you out of the zone

This really bugs me. There is a riding group that does this at my local trail. You come around a bend and there are 7+ guys just standing right in the middle of the trail. I would think they would know better since a lot of these guys are really experienced riders.

mtbr member
    The world is never short on morons doing it for fun.

That is some crazy $hit, seriously funny! Lucky he didn't pierce his heart or something else vital though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    This really bugs me. There is a riding group that does this at my local trail. You come around a bend and there are 7+ guys just standing right in the middle of the trail. I would think they would know better since a lot of these guys are really experienced riders.
    It’s hard to teach common sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have difficulty in tight switchbacks and climbing big rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    GoPro affect o_0

https://youtu.be/-yN4PCNVg68'
    that looks awesome
    I'd be happy to peddal uphill for 20min to do that!
    Sometimes I get trail envy...
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Rides all the bikes!
    It’s hard to teach common sense.
    They are (or were) actually trying to at my work. I don't know how much it cost, but they were doing this in depth safety training that basically is, just that, trying to teach common sense. Seriously, things like "make sure nothing is above you when you stand up" and "watch where you are walking in a parking lot". Oh, even "don't crush your hands in a car door when it is closing!".

https://www.safestart.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiykAW_jH7Q

Work gets in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by smf805 View Post

I would read more of this.

Work gets in the way
    I'm big and athletic and played a lot of sports growing up, so I have to remind myself that I'm much older now, and even falling at slow speed on my elbow hurts, and hurts for a long time, and I certainly don't even want to think about breaking any bone in my body. That said, it's caused me to workout my upper body much more so I can have a lot of muscle around my shoulders, since I've broken my collarbones numerous times and had surgeries.

Basically getting old has reminded me many times, I'm not as young as I used to be!

Work gets in the way
    My tricepts are the weakest link when biking though. The wrists are a close second. I'm still trying to fit my bike around me to alleviate wrist pain. I do back excersizes so my back won't be an issue. Tall guys like me need to do lower back excersizes to stay on a bike.

They are (or were) actually trying to at my work. I don't know how much it cost, but they were doing this in depth safety training that basically is, just that, trying to teach common sense. Seriously, things like "make sure nothing is above you when you stand up" and "watch where you are walking in a parking lot". Oh, even "don't crush your hands in a car door when it is closing!".

https://www.safestart.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiykAW_jH7Q
    Am I cruel for finding humor in that?

The White Jeff W
    Location. We have some pretty great trails within an hour drive but I've ridden them so much that they've lost a lot of their fizz. I love the feeling of experiencing new trails for the first time, especially when they deliver the goods.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    The attitude from hikers and horse riders is a big one. I am very polite with hikers and horsers. I give respect and all I want is the same politness in return If there is a horse coming I stop and move off the trail. A horse is a giant dog that you don't want to startle. I had a lady yell at me saying I have to get off my bike and step away from it when she passes or it will startle her horse. If your horse is that skiddish it shouldn't be on the trail. I have even been hit by a lady hiking with her hiking stick yelling no bikes allowed here. It's a multi use trail. Those people are the ones that think mtbrs just ride over people and drink red bull and mountain dew and call each other bro. But I dont to go off on a rant.

mtbr member
    ...But I dont to go off on a rant.
    Too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast