What's up with these overseas low-cost name brand 'stores'?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

What's up with these overseas low-cost name brand 'stores'?

Completely new here and I'm toying around with getting into my first mountain bike. So just generally checking around I google '2013 Scott Genius 930 price' and mostly I get bike shops in the states quoting around $3780. But peppered in the search results are pages like this one from Axa Cycles quoting a price of $1500...

2013 Scott Genius 930 Mountain Bike

Apparently they're located somewhere in Indonesia. So...what exactly's up with that? Does anybody at all order from these people or others like them? Or should I just stick with my LBS?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    If it's too good to be true, it is. Stick to the retailers that you see mentioned on this site. Art's Cyclery, Jenson USA, and Pricepoint are some of my favorites.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    There is no bike shop and there is no bikes. it's a scam.

Look at how many results in the following search for axaracycles.com have scam and fraud in them.
    http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=axaracycles.com

Look at how many scam bike shops there is in Indonesia.
    http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=indonesian+bike+shop+scam

If you see brands like Giant, Trek, Specialized and Cannonondale advertised at ridiculously cheap prices then it's obviously a scam, these brands don't allow their bikes to be sold over the internet, you have to buy them from a bricks and mortar bike shop.

It's funny how these online Indonesian bike shops don't have a Bahasa Indonesia language option or a Indonesian Rupiah price option.

mtbr member

What's up with these overseas low-cost name brand 'stores'?

A lot of the websites located in countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia which purport to be able to sell new bikes to overseas customers at low prices are scams. If it seems too good to be true it usually is.

How it works is that they take your money upfront, the company address listed is fake and you never receive the bike. The main thing to remember is that there are usually limitations on which brands can be sold in which countries. In the US a brand such as Specialized doesn't even allow out of state mail order sales by its authorised retailers, let alone bargain priced bikes mail order from Indonesia. If they claim to be doing that it's either a scam or at best fake products.

Avoid.

If you look at the About Us page on the site you linked it practically says it's fake.

”AxaraCycles Founded on date 10 March 2010 by Mr.Axarandika (Mr.Axara), graduates from state universities of Medan - Indonesia, majoring in mechanical engineering. Our registered office name is AxaraCycles. AxaraCycles based on JL.Ayahanda No.22, Medan - Sumatera Utara 20118, Indonesia. And company axaracycles.com was started in 20 June 2012. We started the online bussiness for provide our costumers service. Our business philosophy is simple: give consumers and businesses what they want, when they want it. We never stop improving our world class operation by putting our customers - and their needs - first. And we believe that it is our vision and mission to provide innovative products with best service and price as competitive as possible to enhance our clients business. As a result, customer and consumers worldwide will reward us with leadership sales, profit, and value creation, allowing our people and the communities in which we live and work to prosper. We believe our business is built on relationships with our customers, partners, investors, employees, and with the communities where we live and work. To keep those relationships strong, our goals are simply stated: no cheats to customers, no harm to consumers and always providing best products with best price.

What makes AxaraCycles different from other competitors? At AxaraCycles we pride ourselves in offering the best service we possibly can. Mr.Axarandika owner of the store believes in this simple philosophy for his staff. “Treat our customers in the same way as you would like to be treated yourself” “I hate it when you walk in to retail stores and the staff ignore you.” At AxaraCycles our staff always try to greet you early on into your visit to our store. Whether you are bringing your bike into be serviced by our Shimano Certified mechanics, purchasing a new bike or even getting a tube, every customer is important to us! Look around the store and see a vast range of bikes and accessories from different manufacturers. We are proud to offer competitive prices and the best selection possible.

We know you have a multitude of choices out there and occasionally you may find a slightly lower price than ours, however what sets us apart is our dedication and commitment to ensuring that your shopping experience with us is an enjoyable one, every single time, guaranteed!

AxaraCycles is an Authorized Dealer/Reseller for a variety of manufacturers and distributors. All items are BRAND NEW in their original retail packaging with the vast majority of items being shipped direct from the manufacturer or product distributor's warehouse to your door (no 'seconds', 'scratch & dent' or refurbished items unless clearly stated in the product listing).

We started the online bussiness for provide our costumers service.
    AxaraCycles Located at :
    JL.Ayahanda No.22
    Medan - 20118
    Sumatera Utara - Indonesia

A message from us : Real company in Indonesia is a company that uses a payment on behalf of the company concerned with the name of the owner of the company. So don't listen to the issues and slander are not true about our company. Because our company is real and official in Indonesia.

mtbr member
    One of the better threads on the subject of Indonesian bike scams is this one from Bikeradar.com. Someone from the UK bought a bike mail order from Indonesia which (unsurprisingly) never turned up. Another poster who actually lived in Indonesia near to where the shop was supposed to be located went to the address and there was nothing there.

BikeRadar.com ? View topic - www.bonvelo.net is bogus

and

http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-de...te-708653.html

On the specific website of axaracycles.com:

"Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My goal is to answer your question completely and thoroughly and to provide excellent service.

There is a high probability that this company is not legitimate.

First, I conducted a search of the domain registry for Axaracycle's website and it reveals that the site has only been operational since June 20, 2012--that's 83 days. Obviously, this is a very short time for any business to be operational and indicative of a scam, since scammers tend to frequently change business names in order to avoid the accumulation of negative reviews.

Discussions here tend to suggest that Axaracycles is so new because it is the new business name of Mitracycles and Vineracycles, both of which alleged scam sites:

Fraud and Scam Vineracycles < Report & Verify Fraud < EC21 Trade Forums

Further still, while the company claims to be based out of Indonesia, the site appears to be actually operated from Canada. This is an alarming inconsistency that is indicative of a scam.

The website is also registered through a domain proxy, which conceals the true identity of the website owner. While there are sometimes legitimate reasons for registering one's site through a proxy service, this is also the sign of a scam whose perpetrator does not want to be tracked down.

Overall, Axaracycles is extremely unestablished online, with a Google Page Ranking of 0/10 and an Alexa ranking of 10,157,697. These facts, in addition to the fact that Alexacycles is very new, using a domain proxy to hide their identity, and have been accused of being a scam operation, all tend to indicate that Axaracycles is not legitimate. "
    LegalPro54

http://www.justanswer.com/fraud-exam...ny-thanks.html

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks friends, appreciate all the advice!