What's not a good idea? Installing grips like golf grips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What's not a good idea? Installing grips like golf grips

Well, grips for *sure* don't twist, if you use two-sided masking tape and mineral spirits.

But they also don't come off, and you seriously risk a trip to the ER if you use a box cutter or X-acto knife to 'whittle' the grips off. After spending almost an hour to get the left grip off, I brought out the dremel tool, then ended up using that and a hack saw to cut the bar ( you can see where I started the cut ). Man, Giant uses some seriously thick-walled aluminum in their bars.

Anyway, lesson learned. <sigh>

What's not a good idea? Installing grips like golf grips-20131116_175514.jpg

AZ
    banned
    Seriously? A hacksaw? Maybe shoulda stuck with golf?

mtbr member
    My grips have locking rings but long ago when I had friction type grips I used hair spray to install them. Wet the bar and slip them on. They never twisted and were not impossible to remove.

mtbr member
    If that's how you install golf grips, how does one remove them?

And for that matter, what didn't work about just splitting them lengthwise and peeling them off the bar? Those look like they might be ergons, and you tried to bypass the clamp? any reason for that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    If that's how you install golf grips, how does one remove them?

And for that matter, what didn't work about just splitting them lengthwise and peeling them off the bar? Those look like they might be ergons, and you tried to bypass the clamp? any reason for that?
    With golf grips you *do* just take an razor knife of some sort, and cut parallel to the shaft and they more or less peel off, though I'm no expert. I only re-gripped my clubs once (which is why I had an enormous roll of double-sided tape left over).

These are (were) Ergon grips, and the rubber is so thick and dense it's very hard to peel off the bar, especially considering it's now chemically fused with the melted tape. There's also a plastic tube where the lock ring is, that has to be chipped off.

I didn't want to cut the bar, but I had already broken two box-cutter blades, and thought, 'screw it.' I wanted to ride the bike in the AM, and it was getting late.

I will readily admit this was not my proudest moment. The idea that I wouldn't be able to get the grips off had occurred to me but I figured I wouldn't need to, or could remove the bar with the grips attached and save it (thinking the lock rings for the shifters and brakes were like those on the FD, where one half folds back, after removing the locking screw).

Anyway, a good lesson. I have a new Eaton carbon bar on there, now, and I'm 1x10 with a RaceFace NW chain ring, so the end result is nice, albeit more expensive than necessary.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    One word ODI Lock on grips. Oh wait that's more than one word.

Seriously though break into the twenty first century. They are so simple to use. Screw them on and take them off over and over and over and over again. I could install and remove them and reinstall them 100 times before you could glue those suckers on cut them off re-glue another set on. I'd be out enjoying riding my bike with my ODI Lock On's.
    All this with ZERO slippage ever. Definitely in the top 10 of best improvements in mtbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rollin' a fatty
    Lock on grips, forget about double sticky tape, hairspray or any other product to keep them in place.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All that stuff you went through is still better than playing Golf. (Kidding, of course, I just don't play. Seems OK considering the beer and weed)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Lock on grips, forget about double sticky tape, hairspray or any other product to keep them in place.
    Those were lock on grips. No idea why all the rest was added.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
    These are (were) Ergon grips, and the rubber is so thick and dense it's very hard to peel off the bar, especially considering it's now chemically fused with the melted tape. There's also a plastic tube where the lock ring is, that has to be chipped off.
    Ergons have a 4mm bolt to tension the locking ring. If you can't get them to stay tight on your carbon bars after they get a little used and old change the bolt to a 5mm water bottle carrier bolt from any lbs. More torque and it will hold.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Ergons have a 4mm bolt to tension the locking ring. If you can't get them to stay tight on your carbon bars after they get a little used and old change the bolt to a 5mm water bottle carrier bolt from any lbs. More torque and it will hold.
    More torque on a carbon bar is how you trash a carbon bar. Use just enough to get the job done and do not exceed the manufacturers torque specs. An over-tight grip clamp and a hard landing is not a good mix. Friction paste will also help keep grips on a carbon bar without over tightening. I use ODI grips and paste and they stay put without cranking them down.

AZ
    banned
    Some carbon bars are not intended for lock on grips use. Second the not over torquing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    More torque on a carbon bar is how you trash a carbon bar. Use just enough to get the job done and do not exceed the manufacturers torque specs. An over-tight grip clamp and a hard landing is not a good mix. Friction paste will also help keep grips on a carbon bar without over tightening. I use ODI grips and paste and they stay put without cranking them down.
    Improper use of torque.
    Yes tighten only enough to maintain grip. This is for grips when the original bolt is worn and you are stripping the head trying to install it. You don't generally need paste with Ergons at least on Easton bars. The 5mm is less likely to strip using the allen key.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Some carbon bars are not intended for lock on grips use. Second the not over torquing.
    I've been running the same Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars and the same Lock On's for 11 years. As long as you use common sense and barely tighten them they work fine and never slip or loosen. But of course in today's society many people don't possess the common sense gene.

The bars are actually 13 years old but with Lock On's for 11 years.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27 View Post
    Those were lock on grips. No idea why all the rest was added.
    Yes...the irony is that probably the tape and solvent weren't necessary, but having been really irked by previous pair (not lock-on) twisting around, I decided to make really, really sure this set wouldn't move.

eta: fortunately, I was at least smart enough to stick the original grips in a drawer, so they're back on now, and...not bad. It's only been one ride, but the carbon bar seems 'softer,' though it might be my imagination, and I'm not rushing to get another pair of Ergons.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And if you are not using lock-on grips, the traditional method to install and take off grips is via an air compressor. Makes quick work of grips.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Big Mac

Well, grips for *sure* don't twist, if you use two-sided masking tape and mineral spirits.

But they also don't come off, and you seriously risk a trip to the ER if you use a box cutter or X-acto knife to 'whittle' the grips off. After spending almost an hour to get the left grip off, I brought out the dremel tool, then ended up using that and a hack saw to cut the bar ( you can see where I started the cut ). Man, Giant uses some seriously thick-walled aluminum in their bars.

Anyway, lesson learned. &lt;sigh&gt;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131116_175514.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	847734
    Me thinks that you should never, ever touch another bicycle. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Locking grips using "safety wire"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Me thinks that you should never, ever touch another bicycle. Seriously.
    That seems a bit harsh. Seriously.

Here, you'll like this picture. How would you have gotten the grip off? After struggling with one grip, I thought "screw it" and just cut the bar. (Granted, the cut isn't terribly clean, but that's because once I cut 2/3rds through, I just wiggled it until it snapped off).

An 'as-new' take-off Giant handlebar on eBay is around twelve bucks 'buy it now', and I wanted to use my new Eaton anyway.

What's not a good idea? Installing grips like golf grips-img_0611.jpg

mtbr member
    That picture reads like a twisted tale of psychopathic revenge, did you cut that bar with an axe?

So O.P. what lesson have you learned.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    ...oh...oh...oh......I know this one.....
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, grips for *sure* don't twist, if you use two-sided masking tape and mineral spirits.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>

Anyway, lesson learned. <sigh>

Name:	20131116_175514.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	847734
    wow that sucks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That conventional forum wisdom is correct -- upgrading is *expensive*, and I should have just started with a higher-end carbon spec'd bike in the first place.

(It has since occurred to me that I should have used my Sawzall. Seriously -- I'll bet I could have slid the brake/gear levers toward the stem far enough to provide clearance for a fine-toothed Sawzall blade. Then slide it horizontally along the bar end, slicing the grip right off, with no damage to the bar).

banned
    Jan 2013
    Thats about the stupidest thing I've seen all week.

Next time try one of these for a much more efficient and cleaner job.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJa8R5z...%3DMJa8R5zK2zI

Big Mac

That seems a bit harsh. Seriously.

Here, you'll like this picture. How would you have gotten the grip off? After struggling with one grip, I thought "screw it" and just cut the bar. (Granted, the cut isn't terribly clean, but that's because once I cut 2/3rds through, I just wiggled it until it snapped off).

An 'as-new' take-off Giant handlebar on eBay is around twelve bucks 'buy it now', and I wanted to use my new Eaton anyway.

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG 
Views:	383 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	848003
    I would have installed the damn things properly in the first place. Any time grip removal results in hack saw use and a mangled bar, I would say that person needs to not try to work on stuff. You put the "hack" in hack saw. I'll give you that. I'd hate to see what happens when you try to change a tire.

mtbr member
    This is me, after reading this thread...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    You put the "hack" in hack saw. I'll give you that. I'd hate to see what happens when you try to change a tire.
    You seem sort of angry and scornful. That's fine - I just hope it remains in proportion if/when you encounter incidents of real ugliness such as child or animal abuse.

This was a silly thread -- it amused me to share a moment of stupidity on my part, and I don't know why. Actually, with cheap, thin grips that I didn't mind destroying at some future time, the tape/spirits wouldn't have been a bad idea. Believe me, they simply do NOT twist, when so installed.

But with these Ergon grips it was a slightly expensive lesson, made more expensive compounded by running out of time to work on the bike, and I had to ride in the morning. Otherwise I could have taken my time and thought about a cleaner way to remove the grips (Sawzall, no joke) without destroying the bar.

Net result -- wasted some time and money, but the bike is better for it.

Big Mac

You seem sort of angry and scornful. That's fine - I just hope it remains in proportion if/when you encounter incidents of real ugliness such as child or animal abuse.

This was a silly thread -- it amused me to share a moment of stupidity on my part, and I don't know why. Actually, with cheap, thin grips that I didn't mind destroying at some future time, the tape/spirits wouldn't have been a bad idea. Believe me, they simply do NOT twist, when so installed.

But with these Ergon grips it was a slightly expensive lesson, made more expensive compounded by running out of time to work on the bike, and I had to ride in the morning. Otherwise I could have taken my time and thought about a cleaner way to remove the grips (Sawzall, no joke) without destroying the bar.

Net result -- wasted some time and money, but the bike is better for it.
    Nah, just amazed by the things people do sometimes. Glad it all works for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've used double sided tape and solvent to install the foam/cork grips. Never any slippage and easy to remove. The foam/cork grips are soft and easily split with an xacto knife, separate the split and peel the grip off, hit the tape with a heat gun for 30 seconds and the tape peels off.

Most rubber, non-lock-on, grips have held pretty well for me. Install using Isopropyl alchohol as a lubricant, let it air dry or give it some help with compressed air.

With lock-on grips like the ergon, I just use the lock rings, as designed. These are now my preference, as stated above, they make repeated installation/removal quite simple and quick.

Best of luck with your grips in the future.

Your Best Friend
    When I do stupid sh!t I like to post it on the interwebs so everyone else can agree that I'm an idiot as well.

P.S. your bike hates you.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Ok here's another dumb question; if you knew "hacking" the end of your bar off meant getting a new bar, why even waste the effort? Just get the new bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    When I do stupid sh!t I like to post it on the interwebs so everyone else can agree that I'm an idiot as well.

P.S. your bike hates you.
    My bike loves me now. She's dropped > 1 lb between going to 1x10 with the RaceFace, and the Eaton bar.

Probably silly to have posted, but I was amused by how an unwise installation choice ultimately ended up with me cursing and grabbing a hacksaw -- a change of pace from the usual..."Is it time for 650B?" or "School me on flats?!!?"

@Johnb -- I had to cut the end of the bar off, because I couldn't otherwise slide the brake and gear levers off the end, and onto the new bar.

Life on the easy side of the tracks. O.D.I. Lock On grips. Put them on take them off in seconds over and over again. All this with ZERO slippage.

I even took it upon myself to choose a great color. If that's not your desired color feel free to return for any color of your choice. I left the receipt in the box if you need to exchange them.
    Attached Images Attached Images