What is your top 10 Mountain Bike brands?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

What is your top 10 Mountain Bike brands?

Can you tell me your top 10 brands?

And for your top 3, why is it in your top 3 lists?

I didn't do it
    Top 10? That's awfully broad. Different bikes fit different folks for different reasons. I don't really know how you could make a meaningful ranking of bike manufacturers.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Walmart
    Halfords

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Ranking bike makers is way too subjective for anybody to glean any valuable info on. That said....here are my personal faves, based on extensive use:

1) Trek
    2) Niner
    3) Intense
    4) Cannondale
    5) Rocky Mountain
    6) Scott
    7) Ibis
    8) Santa Cruz
    9) Giant
    10) Yeti
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Ranking bike makers is way too subjective for anybody to glean any valuable info on. That said....here are my personal faves, based on extensive use:

1) Trek
    2) Niner
    3) Intense
    4) Cannondale
    5) Rocky Mountain
    6) Scott
    7) Ibis
    8) Santa Cruz
    9) Giant
    10) Yeti

Zach, Interesting top 10. I was surprised that Specialized is not your list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Top 10? That's awfully broad. Different bikes fit different folks for different reasons. I don't really know how you could make a meaningful ranking of bike manufacturers.
    Agree.

But I'm pertaining to the ones that you've used. I'm in search of my first bike so I'd like to narrow my research / choice based on most brands that will be posted here.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    Agree.

But I'm pertaining to the ones that you've used. I'm in search of my first bike so I'd like to narrow my research / choice based on most brands that will be posted here.
    If that's the case then you should list some specifics. What is your budget? How tall are you? What type of trails are you going to be riding? How many miles do you plan to ride?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post

1) Trek
    2) Niner
    3) Intense
    4) Cannondale
    5) Rocky Mountain
    6) Scott
    7) Ibis
    8) Santa Cruz
    9) Giant
    10) Yeti
    Not KTM brands quality?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    If that's the case then you should list some specifics. What is your budget? How tall are you? What type of trails are you going to be riding? How many miles do you plan to ride?
    Mookie,

I'm 5'7 , budget would be 600-800 USD. I'm planing a single track trail and a bit of road biking.

All bike, all the time
    OK I'll bite.

Pivot
    Ibis
    Santa Cruz
    Intense
    Trek
    Spesh
    Yeti
    Evil
    Turner
    Knolly

Evil is a gamble, haven't ridden their new crop but just love their name and what they're doing to flout convention. For years I loved Ventana but my riding style/prefs changed. Also Cove, altho they're kinda off the radar. Orange, RM and Scott are brands I know folks love, but I know nothing about so can't rank. Devinci's another one I wish I knew more about.

Re the top 3 (four actually), I've owned bikes from them all and like their innovative personal style, founders' flair, approachability at places like Sea Otter and great customer service.
    All bike, all the time

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Zach, Interesting top 10. I was surprised that Specialized is not your list.
    Demo 2013 S-Works Epic 29. Fast, but the Brain gave me problems from the very start...even after dialing it in properly.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

since 4/10/2009
    Ranking like this is too vague. Everybody is going to be making their assessments based on their own experiences and personal bias. Not to mention the regional nature of availability of some of the small to mid-sized brands.

I have personally OWNED bikes from:
    Diamondback
    Specialized
    Salsa
    On-One

My wife has owned:
    Specialized
    Santa Cruz

I have demo'd or rented:
    Trek
    Giant
    Kona
    Santa Cruz
    Surly
    Scott

As far as other bikes go, I won't even venture a guess. Plus, some of the stuff I have experience with (like Diamondback and Specialized) is dated. I owned a Diamondback from 2000 that was still made in the US. They are not the same company now. My Specialized is from 2003. It's not even remotely similar to the bike carrying the same name that you can buy now. Not to mention that my impressions of Specialized as a company and how they operate have changed over the years.

And frankly, I won't even bother to rank the brands I've mentioned. The bikes I have ridden from each company have all been so different from each other that brand comparisons are impossible.

About all I can do is rank the SPECIFIC bikes I've owned over the years, but that's not a useful ranking, either. All of the bikes come from vastly different price categories, and my preferences would pretty much follow pricing, and all but two bikes (the two oldest ones) are well outside your price range. And one of my more recent purchases is a road bike that isn't even what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks guys... keep the thread flowing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just bikes or bike parts/components too? I'm going to go with bikes and parts, because just bikes is too broad

1-santa cruz
    2-specialized
    3-trek
    4-easton
    5-shimano
    6-fox
    7-rockshox
    8-enve
    9-maxxis
    10-continental

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Turner
    Trek
    Yeti, and that's all you get out of me.

Don't Tread on Me
    I'd post my top ten but you wouldn't understand and probably haven't heard of them.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    1. Trek
    2. Giant
    3. Jamis

Those are the 3 brands I own so I guess those are my current favorites.

Most manufacturers are simply putting together bikes from parts they bought from someone else. They all have their frame design and then finish it with stuff from another company.

I buy what feels right, is priced fairly, looks good, and has good customer service.

mtbr member
    1. Kona
    2. Kona
    3. Kona etc.
    4...9. Kona
    10. KHS

Only mtb's I've owned ^^

Next one will likely go to #1

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    1. Yeti.

No other brand captures the spirit of mountain biking for me and combines that with the most beautiful bikes ever made. They only make dream bikes. Period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    1. Yeti.

No other brand captures the spirit of mountain biking for me and combines that with the most beautiful bikes ever made. They only make dream bikes. Period.
    Agree with you sir...

mtbr member
    Agree with you sir...
    Grab a MTN bike magazine for ideas.

Go the Bike Brand forum, too.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    What is the purpose of the list? You're looking for a bike? Well then look for a bike, not a brand. Brands are marketing exercises, they are the image the company is selling you so that you will buy products from them rather than their competitors. Bikes are actual things people ride. The two can be, but are not necessarily related. Salsa for example promotes themselves as an "adventure" biking company. Their pics show people bike packing in groups out in the wilderness, not hucking huge air, and their bikes are oriented that way. But that doesn't mean the Horsethief won't shred a trail. Banshee markets towards riding somepretty gnarly trails, but it is not like you couldn't ride them on the same trails as the Salsa pics and have fun.

If it is about reliability, customer service, the only thing you are going to get is the vaguest of ideas based on what people on the internet say. You'll have to filter all of the responses trying to weed out the people who are totally out of wack (the ones who think company x sucks because their frame broke after 8 years of riding it off 12' drops when it was designed for XC), those who have bought into marketing and will defend their chosen brand to the death. I doubt most riders have experience (say 6+ months riding) beyond three or four brands so have no real way to comment of reliability. I have ridden that amount of time on only two bikes, Jamis and Devinci, and both have worked very well for their intended purpose. Are they good brands? I have no idea. Now if companies published fail rates for frames and components we might have something to go on, but that will never happen.

So you are going to end up with a list that is based largely on perception not founded on anything, first on personal perception of limited experience that is biased by the time the person rode the bikes (models and skills change over time), and then perception based on what someone thinks other people think about a brand. I think Yeti make great bikes, even though I didn't like the ones I test rode (SB-75 and SB-95), because I think other people think they make great bikes (look at the lists above). What kind use is that?

What I did when I decided to put some money into this past time, was to really think about what type of riding I was likely to do most and at what my skill set would most benefit from having. I like going up technical climbs quite a bit, but I really love techy, twisty, chunky, descents. I probably am never going to catch big air (at 43 I feel too brittle to risk it) but I love tall steep rollovers and will hit 4' drops to flat at speed. So I settled on the class of bike being AM/Trail with more emphasis on trail. And then I thought about what was most important to me about that type of bike. I am not willing to pay a ton for low weight components. I don't race. I am chasing fun, not seconds. Nor do I really care about crisp shifting, super smooth pedaling, or high engagement hubs. But carbon frames felt great in terms of ride quality, front suspension needed to be really good, with rear good enough, but very good at pedaling.

So then I went to the brands forums and wrote down all the brands that made bikes that were targeted to my type of riding. I also scoured the brands that LBSs stocked and cross referenced them. Then I started going to those bike shops and parking lot rode as many of those bikes as I could getting a feel for the LBS at the same time by talking to the people who worked there. I made notes about how I liked each bike based on the parking lot ride (some of which included short trails) and found an LBS that carried a couple of those models (around here 24 hour demos cost about $75-$80, but they credit it to the bike if you buy from them) and going to demo days when brands rolled through town. I arranged demos so I could test my top two bikes back to back on the same 10 mile loop. From all of this I made a rank order list of bikes (turns out the top three were neck and neck in terms of performance) and started looking for deals. I ended up with a Devinci Troy largely because I got a good deal from the dealer and it got me a carbon frame with a Pike. The process only took me six months.

So anyway, my top brands are (really just a list of how much I liked the individual bikes I rode)

Devinci
    Rocky Mountain
    Kona
    Salsa
    Specialized
    Intense
    Yeti
    Santa Cruz
    It's just a flesh wound!

I quit e-MTBR
    I think OP is more interested in our answers to his question than our (correct) explanations about why it's the wrong question. Fair enough.

If I were shopping for a new bike today, I'd be focusing on:
    - Ibis
    - Yeti
    - Santa Cruz
    - maybe Pivot, Transition, Evil, Kona, and local custom brand Engin

Of the bigger brands, I probably would consider Giant first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    @Ipunch - point taken. What Im doing now is researching for reviews and opinions of fellow bikers specially the veteran ones. So when I go to LBS, i wont ask them to put out dozens of bike for me to try. Well at least, I will have a "shortlist".

I know in the US or most European countries, consumers have lots of power (consumer rights and benefits) and at most, are being pampered by the shops. You have a good return policy, superb warranty and aftersales support. You can rent and try for a certain period or amount that have a rebate, etc... You can return it if you don't want it after a while etc.. But here in the country where I am, its different. Its almost touched-move if you purchased a product. Its hard to explain but you really need a decent background of a brand, their support, reliability, durablility, etc... If you purchase something here and it broke after few weeks or months, it's really a pain in the *ss. hassle.

For me, brand name is really important. Their credibility, after sales, the people working behind those logos, history of producing reliable products, etc... Well thats just me.

Bike aside, I bet that most of us here are using smartphones... Whatever the brand it may be.. Im sure we did a research or background check first before buying...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I think OP is more interested in our answers to his question than our (correct) explanations about why it's the wrong question. Fair enough.
    Exactly sir... It's more of a survey or poll question.

mtbr member

It's more of a survey or poll question.
    Spot on

Going by recommendations on mtbr i have to say cheap kitchens is one of my favourite brands

Professional Crastinator
    When I shop for a bike I shop for features and value, not brand names.

Any more, I am pretty sure I know what I like for frame geometry - not that I wouldn't try any bike just to see how it feels.
    I know what components I should be able to get in a price range.
    If I am buying "off the rack", I know that certain things may not be to my liking like a saddle or grips or stem or tires, but those are not show stoppers. It does result in more expense later, though.
    If I find a bike that is closest to what I think I want, then I check the mfr's reputation.

You are doing it backwards from me.

-F

PS - all of the bikes I've ever owned since I was a kid broke, except for 3, and one of those is a 32# cro-mo steel rigid, one is a tandem, and one barely gets used. They were all popular brands.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I would ask the question, then, this way: I am looking for a XC/Trail/DH bike for around XXXX. I will be riding in XXXX type of terrain. I am especially interested in bikes from brands that have excellent customer service, a history of reliability, and doing the real work behind making a bike, not just catalog rebranders. If you have knowledge of those brands' customer service in the Philippines, that would be extra helpful. That might get you useful info rather than a bunch of unsubstantiated opinion based on rumour and hearsay. Just a suggestion.

I would read through the brand forums on here. They will give you a sense of the current positives and negatives for 20+ brands of bikes.

I didn't research my phone at all, beyond making sure it was spec'ed what I wanted and felt good in my hand
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    1) Kona (this last years remodeling is off the map)
    2) Schwalbe
    3) Maxxis
    4) Race Face
    5) Sram (Rockshox)
    6) Shimano
    7) Fox
    8) Troy Lee
    9) Giro
    10) Transition (they seem like a pretty rad company)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Been reading good reviews of Kona recently... Interesting.