mtbr member
    Feb 2017

What was your fastest sprint on an MTB?

I'm training for a mtb crit this coming Dec 8. I tried sprinting today and the fastest I could go was 50kph. Now I don't know if that's good enough to be called a sprint. My gear setup is sram gx eagle with 36t chainring. During my sprint attempts, I was on the smallest cog 10t and at 100rpm. I'm using a scott scale 950 with continental 2.0 racekings.

I couldn't find any resources online on how fast should a good sprint should be. I know guys on road bikes can go up to 60kph+. I just don't know if mtbs can go that fast too on a flat concrete road.

TIA. I'm new to MTBR so pardon if did anything wrong.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yayannpaul View Post
    TIA. I'm new to MTBR so pardon if did anything wrong.
    Dude, it's mtbr, you've already screwed up. You posted in the wrong forum and your question is stupid. Your choice of equipment is stupid, and the race format you've chosen is stupid.

I can top out at a little over 40 km/h. (i can hold 54 for about a minute on my road bike) It seems like how fast you need to go is going to be largely determined by the fitness and bike set up of the other riders- mtb aero is total trash. Also being able to hold a higher top speed without any wheelsuckers might be pretty useful.

I think it will be fun to go in to your event without too many expectations and see how it plays out. The strategies and set up could be pretty unique, and most of us won't have any experience to draw on. I'm interested in the details of the race; gravel, road, dirt? Specialty bikes? What are the rules from some schulb showing up with an aero road bike? Or drop bars on a mtb?

Good luck!
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Dude, it's mtbr, you've already screwed up. You posted in the wrong forum and your question is stupid. Your choice of equipment is stupid, and the race format you've chosen is stupid.

I can top out at a little over 40 km/h. (i can hold 54 for about a minute on my road bike) It seems like how fast you need to go is going to be largely determined by the fitness and bike set up of the other riders- mtb aero is total trash. Also being able to hold a higher top speed without any wheelsuckers might be pretty useful.

I think it will be fun to go in to your event without too many expectations and see how it plays out. The strategies and set up could be pretty unique, and most of us won't have any experience to draw on. I'm interested in the details of the race; gravel, road, dirt? Specialty bikes? What are the rules from some schulb showing up with an aero road bike? Or drop bars on a mtb?

Good luck!
    Thanks and sorry I'll be more mindful of the forum categories next time.

About the event, we hold crit events and include MTB category since not all has the means to get a road bike easily here in the Philippines. So I'll be pitted against people on mtbs too (prolly XC mtbs).

I just wanted to have an idea how fast should a sprint be using an MTB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If it's your first race sprinting is the last thing you need to focus on. Next to fitness, race strategy is by far the most important aspect to finishing high up the order. If you have a great strategy you can beat people who are much more physically fit than you are and you'll be to far ahead for them to sprint past you at the finish line. You need to learn who to draft, when to spend energy to get in the right positions and save as much energy as possible without dropping back. How you manage the energy you do have throughout the race will also dictate if you even have anything left to sprint with at the end.

Sprinting is a learned skill too which takes more than just raw power. You do not want to be out front pushing through the wind. You need to be drafting someone and use the draft to start your attack before swinging out to go around them. Your gearing seems to be pretty good. Usually sprinters will top out with a cadence of 120 to 140. If you get up to 100 sprinting solo than you should get close to 120 using someones draft. If you can't pedal smooth and put down power at a 120 cadence then you need to practice high cadence drills.

mbtr member
    Thanks and sorry I'll be more mindful of the forum categories next time.
    Sorry, i was just joking there. Your event sounds cool and your post is totally appropriate for this forum.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

jcd's best friend
    Sorry, i was just joking there. Your event sounds cool and your post is totally appropriate for this forum.
    Geez man, what a great way to scare away the fish!
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

One ring to mash them all
    Doesn't this belong in the drag racing forum? /s
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

since 4/10/2009
    Every time I've seen mtb's in a crit, it's been a "citizen's crit" or a "casual" category. Nobody trains for it. They just show up and sign up, oftentimes last minute. And there's almost always at least one goofball on a grocery-getter bike, wearing a silly costume, or some other tomfoolery.

Just show up and have fun and see what it's about. If everybody else is super competitive, then you know that for next time and you have something to compare to. If everybody is just having fun, then you didn't waste time being too serious about it.

mtbr member
    If you have really grippy handle bar grips you might try:

Leave going to plaid to the fat bikers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    sorry, i was just joking there. Your event sounds cool and your post is totally appropriate for this forum.
    damn i was so scared lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    doesn't this belong in the drag racing forum? /s
    how do i transfer this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Every time I've seen mtb's in a crit, it's been a "citizen's crit" or a "casual" category. Nobody trains for it. They just show up and sign up, oftentimes last minute. And there's almost always at least one goofball on a grocery-getter bike, wearing a silly costume, or some other tomfoolery.

Just show up and have fun and see what it's about. If everybody else is super competitive, then you know that for next time and you have something to compare to. If everybody is just having fun, then you didn't waste time being too serious about it.
    thanks! lol but I'm really competitive I want to win

I race a lot of xc and offroad duathlons and it's a small island here in Cebu, Philippines. So I already have an idea who I'll be racing against.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    If you have really grippy handle bar grips you might try:

Leave going to plaid to the fat bikers.
    I'm going full nude for my handlebars. Should I be worried?

since 4/10/2009
    thanks! lol but I'm really competitive I want to win

I race a lot of xc and offroad duathlons and it's a small island here in Cebu, Philippines. So I already have an idea who I'll be racing against.
    If you haven't raced a crit before, you don't know what you don't know.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    how do i transfer this?
    Another joke... You're good.

Land of the 230+
    Strava said I hit 150 MPH, but I suspect it may have been GPS error. Felt a lot closer to 200 MPH.

I think there are too many variables. Perfectly flat? Downhill? On dirt or road? Hurricane force tail wind?

mtbr member
    50kph is good.

Remember to have fun.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I don't do anything fast

well one thing, but I'm not proud about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks everyone! I freakin WON!!!

Was able to join a six man breakaway and we made it work. I sprinted for the finish line, I didn't know why but I just felt like I had to go and I was actually fading 50 meters away from the line but I had a small gap and I won!! WOoohhh thank you so much everyone!!!!

What was your fastest sprint on an MTB?-47578930_2359937947353712_5667420556383748096_n.jpg

What was your fastest sprint on an MTB?-47580786_2359937987353708_9031942784671547392_n.jpg

What was your fastest sprint on an MTB?-48197919_2359938037353703_4440742549065302016_n.jpg

What was your fastest sprint on an MTB?-48260290_2359938164020357_619697518057357312_n.jpg

What was your fastest sprint on an MTB?-48090626_2359938180687022_9210777878482911232_n.jpg

Sorry for the long post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Congrats on the win! Seems like you're a natural at racing crits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Here's a video of the finish. It's not really in good quality but better than none

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I donít know how fast I was going, but I believe the hardest I ever pedaled was going up hill being chased by a mama moose that was with her calf. My heart rate was above 600 bpmís.
    Thatís a fact!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!