What will the future of bike technology bring us in 2020?- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Huffer

What will the future of bike technology bring us in 2020?

Anyone have any predictions?

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Anyone have any predictions?
    Hoverbike

so no-skill richers can keep up
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    30lb full suspension fat bike

40lb motorized fat bike that blurs the line between motox and mtb

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Electronic, dynamic tuning (i.e. a sensor see what kind of terrain you're on, what your pedal rate is, and adjusts your suspension damping settings for you).

Dropper seat posts with seat angle adjust built in (i.e. angled back slightly for low position, angled forward slightly for high position).

mtbr member
    suspension bikes with 111% pedalling efficiency

mtbr member
    Nuclear-powered semi-rephased ionic plasma shifting. Higgs boson particle coating extra, of course. Works best with String Theory- now-Fact chain drive.
    Last edited by edley; 01-21-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelin
    Will trade for some chicken.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Gearbox transmissions and airless tires. Maybe, hopefully a lightweight dropper post that's reliable.

mtbr member
    Hopefully, more time to ride.

I won't be able to afford any of the newfangled crap anyway.

How about this though - Knee and/or elbow pads that stay put.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    36" wheels being mainstream while 32" is too small and 26" is extinct.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hydrobrakes with seal boots

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Hydrobrakes with seal boots
    YES

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

since 4/10/2009
    more electronic bits.

expanded electronic shifting grouppos
    more electronic suspension damping control
    electronic dropper post controls
    more centralized computer displays (many bikes will have an integrated display showing gearing, speed, location, etc)
    maybe even start seeing someone toying with the idea of ABS on some bikes.

mtbr member
    Electronic suspension like in some high end cars trickling down to MTBs. Magnetic damper cartridges and whatnot.

Affordable carbon brake rotors and pads.

Progress towards internal gearing either with gearboxes at the front or lightweight internal gears in the rear - basically making them light enough and cheap enough to come on standard bikes. Singlespeed drivetrains like MX bikes. Nicolai is paving the way towards this but I think this is really where drivetrains are heading. More gears, less headache.

mtbr member
    Major price increase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Major price increase.
    That and 14 speed cassettes.

I like turtles
    26ers make a return and are hailed as the greatest innovation of 2020.

MBA says "The sluggishness of a 29er is gone...they fly through tight singletrack with ease."

Dirt Rag raves "I haven't bunnyhopped in years...what a refreshing feeling!".

And finally, the editors of Bike online say "The egg-heads have it, the lower inertia of the smaller, lighter wheels helps these bikes accelerate like a Bugatti!"

All a joke of course, but funny non the less!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    New for 2020 will be the Sram Scram (tm), an electrically powered three-wheeled 'All-Mountain' access trike aimed at the retired mountain biker community - now with limited mobility but still with a "hankering to get out on the trail," Sram execs tout. The new Sram Scram will use leftover inventory from Sram's XX1 through XX8 drivetrains long after their planned obsolescence, and following Srams move to the new-fangled drivetrain of the future - 2x9. Srams new drivetrain will feature transparent aluminum cassettes and crank arms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    That and 14 speed cassettes.
    Yep and they will be so thin that you need to replace them after every ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Something that finally does away with these god forsaken derailleur systems, AND doesn't cost a mint!

And through axles on everything. I wish they already were on every bike. They should be.

Give it a crank
    Internal gearboxes will make derailleurs go away by then.

Edit: like Jon Richard already mentioned and I missed it.
    Last edited by Mtn-Rider; 01-21-2013 at 10:19 PM.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Gearbox transmissions and airless tires. Maybe, hopefully a lightweight dropper post that's reliable.
    This

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    will there be any trails or woods left in 2020?
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    will there be any trails or woods left in 2020?
    Yes, but few will use them because todays generation of nintendoheads will spend their days virtual mountain biking- much safer!

mtbr member
    GPS controlled everything - suspension settings, seatpost height, gears. They're already working on it.

Load the map in of where you're riding on your ithingy, it connects to your bike and the suspension settings change as you ride. It knows exactly what terrain you're riding. Can record your favourite settings from each ride and use them too. Download "factory app" settings from your favourite rider etc. This is the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    GPS controlled everything - suspension settings, seatpost height, gears. They're already working on it.

Load the map in of where you're riding on your ithingy, it connects to your bike and the suspension settings change as you ride. It knows exactly what terrain you're riding. Can record your favourite settings from each ride and use them too. Download "factory app" settings from your favourite rider etc. This is the future.
    They've already got systems like this working on street and race cars.

Give it a crank
    Electric bikes have been improving lately and will get even better by 2020.

I don't always ride electric bikes, but when I do, I want it to have regenerative braking, all-wheel drive, internal gearbox, and be real quiet.

Keep pedaling
    More diversity in wheel sizes.

More carbon fiber frames and carbon fiber parts.

More complex rear suspension designs.

Air shocks with more adjustments.

Headlights will be lighter, more reliable, and less expensive.

Self driving cars will be available. We will be able to have our cars drive us to the top of a mountain, then the car will drive itself down and meet us at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I can't wait for the future.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I love these threads. They really get you thinking.

I am pretty happy and fast on my rigid mountain bikes. I just dont like the way suspension feels...

But I am wondering about the day in which I will HAVE to switch to FS to continue to be a competitive racer. Right now its pretty much up to preference. But once they perfect solid pedaling platforms and light weight suspension, there will be no downside!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I can't wait for the future.
    Not me. I weep for the future.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358885711.707513.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  27.1 KB

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post

I don't always ride electric bikes, but when I do, I want it to have regenerative braking, all-wheel drive, internal gearbox, and be real quiet.
    I think this Pedal assisted type bike with whisper quiet motor, light weight set up. It's available now in a few models from gruber assist, but I'm sure it can be much better.

This would pretty much end the light weight craze, because how much lighter can a bike be. Now there are plenty of 23# 6" travel bike. Going with the pedal assisted route you can have the bike at 40# but won't notice the weight. It would save the trail as well, less torqy wheel spin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think a terrain-specific two-wheel drive system would be pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    There will be a new standard for headsets and bottom brackets,wait the future is here already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In 2020, we'll all be riding a new frame material that hasn't been invented yet. Space aliens would have made contact by that point, bringing a new type of alloy that is 1000X stronger than carbon fiber and 10X lighter.

Cycling apparel will be all silver, and helmets won't be needed. Why? Force fields. Yep, force fields around our heads.

There will be controversy whether robotic limbs will be allowed in racing, and there will be cyclocross courses on distant planets - we get there via spaceship.

GPS will come standard on all bikes - not so much to track your Strava, but because our government will need to keep tabs on you. Park rangers will look like Judge Dredd, and fly hover craft type vehicles that shoot knock-out gas for trail poachers.

Our US President will be Justin Bieber - our first young, lesbian President. Carbs will be outlawed and the National Anthem will be in DubStep. Energy drinks that contains meth will replace coffee. Six pack abs and Jersey Shore tans will be required in the work place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Guys, it's only 7 years away. How much different is a 2006 bike from a 2013 bike?
    I figure lots of electronic sensors, push button suspension controls - thats only to over ride the automatic changes.
    Electronic shifting. Maybe 2 or 3 gears in a gearbox up front and 5 or 6 speeds out back but with no gear overlap so 18 real gears - the shifter is just up or down, front and rear shifts are controlled by a processor.

mtbr member
    i will probably be riding a steel single-speed hardtail with mechanical disc brakes. maybe i will have a 1x10 or a nicer suspension fork, but that's about it. all you technophiles can have your gadgets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    We will all have personal Hoverdrones that fly beside, behind, and in front of us, videoing our rides directly to MTBR.com.

They will have microlaser targeting to zap mosquitoes, ticks, and those ca-razy blackflies out of our way. They will also laser prune those thorny suckers before they rip your antecubital fossae (inner elbows) to shreds.

Doin' a faceplant? Never fear! The automatic airbags will deploy! And if you still manage to bung yourself up, said drones will fly-in the synthetic endorphins and local microbrew growlers to tide you over till help arrives.

(Bet on it)
    "....All of your so-called friends, I'll take you where the sidewalk ends..." Robbie Robertson, "American Roulette"

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Guys, it's only 7 years away. How much different is a 2006 bike from a 2013 bike?
    I figure lots of electronic sensors, push button suspension controls - thats only to over ride the automatic changes.
    Electronic shifting. Maybe 2 or 3 gears in a gearbox up front and 5 or 6 speeds out back but with no gear overlap so 18 real gears - the shifter is just up or down, front and rear shifts are controlled by a processor.
    In 2006, if someone would tell me that in 7 years, over half of the noobs or enthusiast posting about getting a new bike would be about 29er, or night ride would be widely popular because you can get powerful set of lights under $100, I would not believe it, but here it is. New stuffs would come out but the consumers still dictate the rapid growth of any products.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    They've already got systems like this working on street and race cars.
    True, I don't remember which car it was but I remember reading somewhere that there was a car which only let you load certain performance settings when it detected that you were on a racetrack.

It was probably the Nissan GT-R...

mtbr member

You're talking about motor bike improvements. I realize many view bicycles and light motor bikes as a seamless transition but I don't. Neither does Wikipedia-

A bicycle, often called a bike[2] (and sometimes referred to as a "pushbike",[3] "pedal bike",[4] "pedal cycle",[5] or "cycle"[6]), is a human-powered, pedal-driven, single-track vehicle, having two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other.[7] A person who rides a bicycle is called a cyclist, or bicyclist.
    or Webster-

: a vehicle with two wheels tandem, handlebars for steering, a saddle seat, and pedals by which it is propelled;

High Desert MTBer

This could probably be programmed to play your favorite music for each trail section... BTW, what IS your favorite music while riding these innovative new ideas???

Perhaps we'll see some innovative new threads on MTBR???!?

Nahhhh!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Aig!

Definately Automatic Integrated Gearboxes. You never have to deal with choosing and shifting gear you only have to pedal the same speed no matter how steep, flat or whatever it is.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Horup View Post
    Definately Automatic Integrated Gearboxes. You never have to deal with choosing and shifting gear you only have to pedal the same speed no matter how steep, flat or whatever it is.
    I think that would suck for technical climbs, actually. I do think gearboxes make sense conceptually though, and I expect that we'll be riding them eventually. But it took Apple a long time to go from the Newton to the iPad. Pinion seems to be getting closer to a working gearbox but I think they still have a ways to go, and then getting frame makers to settle on a standard...

mtbr member

Maybe. Probably. I for one sure as hell hope not though, seems like a nightmare of added complexity and anyway I'd rather not have any app know exactly where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by Horup View Post
    They have those already and will continue to refine them for recreational bikes. For performance oriented riding there are too many variables involved to have your gears chosen for you.

I think the derailleur system works well but I agree there may be room for major refinement. An old idea that I think has potential, and one that people are still working on is an expandable front chainring. Essentially you could have a smooth gear transition between highest and lowest positions (say 24-54 t or whatever) while maintaining a straight chainline and never having to shift the chain in the traditional sense.

mtbr member
    I wish they would invent a helmet that wouldn't mess your hair up when you rode. Think how easy the commute to work would be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The top innovation will be a thinner barrel-link metal belt that replaces the current greasy roller and sprocket chain.

It'll be permanently sealed with lubricant. Gear shifting will be smoother and seamless because of less friction. Only one front "pull ring" would be needed. All speed changes are done by a continuously-variable rear mesh instead of cogs. Component weight is cut in half.

mtbr member
    Being that I'll be 50 in 2020 I'm kinda hoping for a JATO for my Stumpjumper.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    How about goggles with heads up display, which shows current speed, point on map, and a semi transparent representation of the parts of the trail further ahead and elsewhere you can't see yet, so that you can anticipate what's around corners.

Oh and z-torque cranks, those will be everywhere.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ....Hopefully a sighting of a 68 year old mtbr forum member named zarr riding his partially updated favorite bike!

roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    28.25" wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Major price increase.
    That is the only certainty, but you can be sure that for %40 more cost the bike will work at least %2 better.

The bicycle industrial complex can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are out of money.

No matter what they come up with riding a bike well will still be %95 rider.

The pinion looks pretty sweet, BB mounted internal gear box, but at 2-3 times the weight of typically drive train components they won't be in widespread use anytime soon, and they do cost 3,400 euros and they won't fit a "normal" bike anyway.

mtbr member
    In 2020 all the major manufacturers will have adopted the Mondraker forwards geometry.

Mondraker Introduces Forward Geometry: Are You Ready for a 10 mm Stem? - Bike Rumor

Electronic shifting and automatically adjusting electronic suspension will be widespread, all controlled from your heads up display built into your bike helmet.

Strava will have launched their own brand of bicycles.

Unfortunately a trail access law introduced in 2017 to combat rogue bikers means that all mountain bikes by 2020 must now have a numberplate and an electronic "kill switch" that can be remotely activated by enforcement officers who patrol by helicopter. The "kill switch" shuts down the mountain bike's systems, immobilises it with a stick through the front wheel and uploads all footage recorded by the bike's built in cameras for an immediate fine (or custodial sentence based on a three strikes system), depending upon the severity of the offence...

Keep pedaling
    In 2020 MTBR will still be the biggest and best Mountain Bike Site. These forums will still be here, and unfortunately there will still be spammers.

Give it a crank
    If you look at the pace smartphones have advanced in less than 10 years, just imagine what they'll be doing in 7 more years.

The sensors on the will detect when you fall off your bike, check your vital signs, asses bike damage, and call for help automatically, unless cancelled by swear recognition.

GPS logging will include full video and sensor logs with live streaming to and from your buddies.

mtbr member
    The sensors on the will detect when you fall off your bike, check your vital signs, asses bike damage, and call for help automatically, unless cancelled by swear recognition.
    You're thinking of the ICEdot crash sensor? It sounds like it's going to be out sometime this year.

https://icedot.org/crash

ICEdot introduces helmet sensor that notifies contacts after a crash

Give it a crank
    Cool, hadn't heard about it. I guess it's another thing that'll need the batteries charged before each ride.

Smartphone battery: check
    Headphone battery: check
    Headlight battery: check
    Active suspension battery: check
    Electric shifters battery: check
    ICEdot battery: check

Go ride!

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    In 2020 all the major manufacturers will have adopted the Mondraker forwards geometry.

Mondraker Introduces Forward Geometry: Are You Ready for a 10 mm Stem? - Bike Rumor

Electronic shifting and automatically adjusting electronic suspension will be widespread, all controlled from your heads up display built into your bike helmet.

Strava will have launched their own brand of bicycles.

Unfortunately a trail access law introduced in 2017 to combat rogue bikers means that all mountain bikes by 2020 must now have a numberplate and an electronic "kill switch" that can be remotely activated by enforcement officers who patrol by helicopter. The "kill switch" shuts down the mountain bike's systems, immobilises it with a stick through the front wheel and uploads all footage recorded by the bike's built in cameras for an immediate fine (or custodial sentence based on a three strikes system), depending upon the severity of the offence...
    That trail access law doesn't sound too far fetched. I could see that happening in the more heavily populated regions of the country. Regarding the forward geo bikes, I guess all trails will be downhill in 2020!

My own take: As long as I can still get rebuild kits for my 08 Reba SL, I don't care. This bike stuff is way too expensive to keep upgrading all the time.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Cool, hadn't heard about it. I guess it's another thing that'll need the batteries charged before each ride.

Smartphone battery: check
    Headphone battery: check
    Headlight battery: check
    Active suspension battery: check
    Electric shifters battery: check
    ICEdot battery: check

Go ride!
    Of course none of the batteries will be interchangeable or user serviceable as thats the best way to maximize profits for the bike manufacturers....

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    How about goggles with heads up display, which shows current speed, point on map, and a semi transparent representation of the parts of the trail further ahead and elsewhere you can't see yet, so that you can anticipate what's around corners.

Oh and z-torque cranks, those will be everywhere.
    It won't be to long

Google to Sell Heads-Up Display Glasses by Year's End - NYTimes.com

They already have it for skiing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jcPHnWelva0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

banned
    Aug 2012
    Some nice dreaming in this thread

In 2020 MTBR'rs will have finally figured out how sales hype works, and we'll all be riding bikes that meet our needs WITHOUT all the hulla-baloo and fluff of making additional sales.

Those sales will only come from the ultra-gullable, X-Box Induced Coma, crowd, as they argue the advantage of 26.1", 26.2"26.3",26.4" .... 27.4", 27.5", 27.6 ... 29.0, 29.1 .... 5 zillion.0, 5 zillion.1 wheels ... Super exotic, most fashionable boutique material of the day ... Back and forth, gotta convince them it's better, because I just bought it.

Err,
    Uh,
    I don't see much difference occurring in such a short timeframe

Perhaps a bit more plastic, and perhaps tubeless as a standard for all bikes ... And more over-priced stuff that people are willing to pay good money for

mtbr member
    As much as invention, the future of material usage, electronics and the like, how much do you bridge the body human with delighting of the wilderness via wheels self powered? Hmmm? That's the beautiful thing about (mountain) biking, it is so close, and often as close as can be perfect an activity.
    You can tweak this and fiddle that, but the ability to pedal oneself through the woods is completely sublime and absolute in form! It will continually be an activity, sport, that reminds us to know we can do everything with so little -a fantastic check of what we want vs what we need in the ever-advancing age of science & comfort.
    That said, I see some internal piping of our hydraulics, universal battery for any electronics -shifting and auto-suspension adjustment. Though I see a forever holdout on the mechanical if everything goes to hell in a handbag. Talking about universal: I see more common bearing sizing, for wheel/crank/hset/pivots. Lastly what others have mentioned: better internal gearing, dependable anything, etc...

We have it so good though, virtually perfect than any other time in history of man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    NanoTech tires that form around rocks and tree roots - leaving more time to carve!
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Electronic gears lower down the range for roadies.

Down hill bikes using more carbon, prices soaring even higher..

Electronic XTR. Hopefully no more than 11 speed.

Lance Armstrong.... Err perhaps I better not start!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by marra2 View Post
    prices soaring even higher..
    This

mtbr member
    Wow- not only is it spam, but Russian language spam, no less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A system that connects 2 wheels together and allows someone to program the actions themselves by using only their mind and creativity with only their physical power....
    t1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by t1bosie View Post
    A system that connects 2 wheels together and allows someone to program the actions themselves by using only their mind and creativity with only their physical power....
    t1
    Sounds like a patent description. Better get that submitted and sue everyone here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Electronic suspension like in some high end cars trickling down to MTBs. Magnetic damper cartridges and whatnot.
    Just realized that White Brothers are already using magnetic damping in their forks. Hopefully it will trickle down to additional manufacturers as it is much more consistent across a range of temperatures than hydraulic dampers. Then again you cant play with oil weight to get different feels so some folks might keep it old school in 20 years.

Keep pedaling
    I have this thread bookmarked. I plan on bringing it back in 2020, so we can see how right or wrong we were.

After thinking about my previous predictions, I have some minor changes:

I predict most mountain bikes will have 29 inch wheels, with smaller wheels mainly used for dirt jumping, downhill/free ride, and short people.

Carbon fiber will be lighter, stronger and cheaper; but bike companies will still find other ways to make things more expensive.

I still expect self driving cars by 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    More diversity in wheel sizes.

More carbon fiber frames and carbon fiber parts.

More complex rear suspension designs.

Air shocks with more adjustments.

Headlights will be lighter, more reliable, and less expensive.

Self driving cars will be available. We will be able to have our cars drive us to the top of a mountain, then the car will drive itself down and meet us at the bottom.
    Last edited by Furball the Mystery Cat; 10-22-2013 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    bike companies will still find other ways to make things more expensive.
    This is an absolute certainty.

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    I have this thread bookmarked. I plan on brining it back in 2020, so we can see how right or wrong we were.
    Good plan! Personally, I expect (hope) for fully internal shifting, dropper, and brake routing. I just really dislike how cluttered these bikes are getting with the cables/hoses running all over.
    Electric shifting will probably *still* not work reliably, and rigid/single speed people will still constantly say how much better it is than whatever else there is.

Oh, and someone will still be complaining that Carbon is too weak/brittle/fragile/etc
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Halfrauds stop selling bikes :-P

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This material could reduce a lot of weight and vastly improve stiffness. Carbyne is stronger than any known material

All 26.5" all the time!

I predict some mountain bikes will have 29 inch wheels, with smaller wheels mainly used for dirt jumping, downhill/free ride, and riders of all disciplines that prefer the strongest, stiffest, lightest and fastest accelerating wheel size in mountain biking.
    Fixed that for you.

The Fastest of Bananas
    So in.

Predictions for technology are always more ambitious than what manufacturers will make, because they spoon feed you technology.

I would love to see an affordable, light internal transmission.

Advances in materials will be made, "super-carbon"

I personally want to see some standardization. Its getting to the point where you cant buy used parts, because nothing fits. I cant find a damn fork used.

mtbr member
    Post-hipsters riding 26" aluminum hardtails.

mtbr member
    7 years from now, I predict at least 4 new wheel sizes. Each will solve hundreds of problems that no one noticed about the previous one. MTBR will announce, in turn, the death of 26, 29, 27.5.. then 26.75, 26.375... and for model year 2020 Giant will be all over 26.000001, which will be so much better than everything before it. Fox 26.000002" forks will not fit 26.000001" wheels however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Advances in materials will be made, "super-carbon"
    Increased use of carbon nanotubes is pretty much a sure bet.

Give it a crank
    In 2020 we'll be riding indoor mountain bike simulators so realistic that you won't notice you're not outside. You'll be able to select any trail in the world and ride it like the real thing.

Keep pedaling
    Maybe Dual-chamber Tires:

Dual-chamber mountain bike tire takes on the snake bites and the burps

That's where the new Schwalbe/Syntace system comes in.

It incorporates a higher-pressure inner air chamber, and a lower-pressure outer chamber. The inner one provides a firm cushion that helps stop the tire from striking the rim, lessening the likelihood of snake bite flats, plus it secures the tire bead more securely on the rim, making burps less likely. This means that the outer chamber can be run at pressures as low as 14 psi (1 bar) for much better traction – most conventional tubeless tires shouldn't be run lower than about 20 psi, depending on the weight of the rider.

As an added side benefit, if the outer chamber is punctured and won't seal, the air in the inner chamber will allow the bike to temporarily still be rideable.

mtbr member
    Interesting, they have been around for a while for motorcycles, tubliss is the name of the product, I hear mixed reviews, but many guys are quite happy with them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    Electronic, dynamic tuning (i.e. a sensor see what kind of terrain you're on, what your pedal rate is, and adjusts your suspension damping settings for you).

Dropper seat posts with seat angle adjust built in (i.e. angled back slightly for low position, angled forward slightly for high position).
    i like it!!

Keep pedaling
    I may have been off by 1 year: In race to get driverless cars on the road, Ford speeds ahead - LA Times

Now, Ford Motor Co. says it will make it happen, and soon.

The Detroit automaker revealed in broad strokes Tuesday an ambitious strategy to make fully autonomous cars available for sale by 2021.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Trump will buy specialized

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Specialized will be called Trump suspension

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

I don't think he has the money to do that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Motion activated

BS. He's buying ORANGE bikes.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Inverted spokes that act as Camelbaks in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Caca pasa
    Mtbr will finally be glitch-free!

Haw haw hawwww!!!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    suspension grips with full rebound and compression settings.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    more electronic bits.

expanded electronic shifting grouppos
    more electronic suspension damping control
    electronic dropper post controls
    more centralized computer displays (many bikes will have an integrated display showing gearing, speed, location, etc)
    maybe even start seeing someone toying with the idea of ABS on some bikes.
    LOL reading through this thread, not realising it was from 2013 (geez not that long ago) and thinking mate most of those things are available now...hahaha you knew, should have taken out some patents...
    All the gear and no idea.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    11 chainrings and one cassette cog

A strap of sorts resembling a bungee cord that takes the place of a seat bag.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

T.W.O.
    On the fly adjustable wheel size from 32" down to 24". Extreme xxx small 29er hard tail for Simone Biles, you know, they roll better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    28.25" wheels.
    Looks like you didn't have to wait until 2020 for this one. It's called 27.5 plus

27.5x3.0 28.74" (730mm) - Spec Ground Control
    27.5x2.8 ~28.5" - WTB Trailblazer
    27.5x2.6 ??? - New from Specialized <--- 28.25"?

For reference:
    29x2.2 28.82" (732mm) - Maxxis Ikon
    29x2.3 29" (740mm) - Bontrager XR3
    27.5x2.35 27.75" (705mm) - Bontrager XR4

Sources:
    - Nerd Alert: Wheel Size by the Numbers ? Flow Mountain Bike
    - WTB Trailblazer 27.5 X 2.8" Tires: Exclusive B+ Review Intro: Part 2
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Life Is Short
    2020 isn't that far forward. How about 2120? I say there won't be any free trails to ride anyway, thanks to China's iron grip on us, they would have cashed in on our debt by then and would own most of the US territories.
    Cheap people buy things twice

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Built in cyclo-computer.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    How about 2120?
    I'd say E-Trails. You know, like inside theater roller coasters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Drone mtb bike. You can control bike from your home

Robot mtb bike you control from home. Screw test pedaling BS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    chainless drives where the power you deliver is exactly what the wheel receives.

automatic transmission

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    2020 isn't that far forward. How about 2120? I say there won't be any free trails to ride anyway, thanks to China's iron grip on us, they would have cashed in on our debt by then and would own most of the US territories.
    You can't own what you cant maintain a grip on.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    A strap of sorts resembling a bungee cord that takes the place of a seat bag.
    Too far fetched, will never happen.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    In 2020, I'll be freakin' 70 years old (how the $%@! did THAT happen?) I'll want pressurized oxygen chambers integrated into the frame with a hydration pak type tube to suck on. Actually, I could use that right now.

mtbr member
    Self stacking rocks along the sides of trails. When you skid around a corner, the thrown rocks stick together like magnets and form stacks, so everyone will know you were there and getting rad. The bigger the stack, the more rad the rider.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Death of the derailleur....gear boxes, more/better internally geared hubs, and belt drives.

Blue tooth automated wireless technology with all gear box shifting and drive train, without chains or belts. All we do is pedal and the bike selects the internal gear that's most efficient at the time. A beam that reads the trail ahead and brakes automatically. Nothing is manually operated but pedaling and steering.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Blue tooth automated wireless technology with all gear box shifting and drive train, without chains or belts. All we do is pedal and the bike selects the internal gear that's most efficient at the time. A beam that reads the trail ahead and brakes automatically. Nothing is manually operated but pedaling and steering.
    Ok, then, holding onto my old bikes!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Ebikes will look like this:

Attachment 1089873
    Worse. They will look like this yet still be 1500w and have 5 hours on the batt.

Motion activated

Attachment 1089873
    Man, I sure hope so. Because (1) motos are an unbelievable amount of fun to ride and an insane workout and (2) it's not like ebikes are going to be allowed on MTB trails anyway.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve71 View Post
    man, i sure hope so. Because (1) motos are an unbelievable amount of fun to ride and an insane workout and (2) it's not like bikes are going to be allowed on trails anyway.
    fify

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Get rid of cables - go fully wireless with shifting, brakes, & dropper post. 1x14 drive will be standard.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014

Attachment 1089873
    They already do....

Attachment 1089961

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    They already do....
    Not much good for trail riding, with ~30min battery life. Maybe by 2020, or 2025

mtbr member

Attachment 1089873

Except the exhaust pipe is in bf New Mexico.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    air conditioning

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Power steering to help biker maintain straight line

jcd's best friend
    Apple will create the iRide bicycle where millennials can ride bicycles on their iPhone without having to leave home.
    Trek Émonda SL6 | Intense Recluse

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Apple will create the iRide bicycle where millennials can ride bicycles on their iPhone without having to leave home.
    Apple already created an app for it

mtbr member
    If graphene ever makes it out of the lab, the lighter+stronger trend will accelerate.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    If graphene ever makes it out of the lab, the lighter+stronger trend will accelerate.
    It's already in tires and rims. See Vittoria's new line up. They claimed that it helped alter softer rubber to have better durability and better rolling characteristics. They seem to be conservative with their rim claims, only really saying the spoke holes are stronger and higher resistance to heat (regarding rim brakes), not really mentioning anything like increased impact resistance.

mtbr member

Edit: like Jon Richard already mentioned and I missed it.
    I'd say this, but during the next election there is going to be a comprehensive power grid failure and we are all going to die of dehydration. Only our leaders and the very elite will survive. They will dissolve The Constitution and start a one world government. And in the year 2285 you'll have this:

In the year 2285, The NOMACS (Noise Machines) appear over the Emperor’s palace on New Maineland. A small ‘army’ of the drone-like machines is seen with one main NOMAC hovering in the foreground scanning the city in a display of control and supremacy. NOMACS were initially conceived by people in their quest to create the world’s most perfect music, but instead turned into something much more insidious. Born out of the vacuum created as a result of the suffocation of human expression, along with exponential advances in technology over time, they stand as the only semblance of entertainment remaining in the world. NOMACS music is now the only music anyone knows or listens to, and the only music that still exists. The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Over the course of nearly three hundred years, ever dwindling natural resources coupled with the excessive abuse of presidential power and extreme
    government-wide corruption has led to the return of a feudal society throughout
    the country. This is not necessarily the gleaming, space-exploring future we’ve
    grown accustomed to imagine. yet instead a dystopian world to come which in
    many ways resembles more of a time and place back in mankind’s harsh history.
    The margin between rich and poor has widened to a point beyond recovery where
    ruthless dictators once again rule over vast empires. Along with their families and
    nobility, they now possess all of the land, wealth, power and control over whatever
    spoils remain on Earth. Meanwhile, the general population lives in scattered
    townships across the region, struggling to exist amidst a climate of extreme
    economic and social oppression. The resulting dichotomy between the magnificence
    and splendor of the big cities and the modesty and simplicity of the decaying rural
    villages contributes greatly to the division between classes. In this dramatically
    redefined landscape, what was formerly known as the Northeast region of the
    United States is now a new super kingdom called G.N.E.A. or The Great Northern
    Empire Of The Americas. It is in this new land where we find the ominous Lord
    Nafaryus thriving in his tyrannical role as Emperor and Head of the Realm. From
    the comfort of his opulent palatial residence on metropolitan New Maineland, he is
    able to keep a watchful eye on all that transpires throughout the Empire.
    Since working class families are now consumed with the day-to-day challenges of survival, forced to bear the lion’s share of taxes needed to support the Empire, any dedication, investment or interest in the arts has all but been abandoned. People just don’t have the time or the desire to participate in any of the creative forms of human expression that art, dance and especially music have to offer anymore. And, why should they? Life may closely resemble that of more ancient times in most ways, but now the only music to be heard is electronically manufactured and performed by the NOMACS.

This brings us to the village of Ravenskill; a small, somewhat isolated
    town on Endless Isleland located far from the Emperor’s palace and the frantic
    pace of metropolitan living. Ravenskill is a close knit community whose
    inhabitants enjoy a renewed sense of family due to the simplicity of current times,
    yet who struggle and toil under the harshness of life’s reality under Nafaryus’ rule.
    It is here where we find our unsuspecting hero Gabriel, increasingly being looked
    upon as ‘The Chosen One’ who will liberate the people and lead them in a
    victorious revolution against Lord Nafaryus and his advocates. He is seen as a
    shining beacon of light in this seemingly dark and hopeless situation because of a
    very unique and magical talent that has been neither heard nor nurtured in many,
    many years…the divine gift of music.

Gabriel was born and blessed with the natural ability to sing and to
    make music on a level that is simply… astonishing.

Mindlessly programmed to withstand the cold and passionless cacophony
    of the NOMACS, people are transfixed by Gabriel and transported back to a time
    where true art created by human beings was celebrated and consumed as the
    ultimate nourishment for the soul. It is mesmerizing to all who hear him perform
    and the sound of his voice is as cathartic to those around him as the most advanced
    medicines available. So much so that the spirit of hope and enlightenment has
    overtaken and inspired not only this small township, but also many others in the
    region. As word spreads of this newly discovered savior, plans for an uprising are
    brewing and people everywhere are talking about Gabriel’s magical power.

Ever so humble and not exactly viewing himself as a natural born leader, all of the attention showered upon him and the tremendous expectations placed on him have made Gabriel very uncomfortable and confused. While blessed with a captivating charm and presence, Gabriel is often puzzled by his uniqueness and largely seen by folks as a bit of an enigma. Although adored by many, he questions his purpose in life and the meaning of his gift, ultimately leaving him to feel very alone and isolated. He spends most of his time by himself and is conflicted…why was he The Chosen One? This was not something he asked for but it is obviously something that was meant to happen to him. He embodies the very essence of promise and hope that the inhabitants of Ravenskill cling to and it is he whom they wholly place their belief in. They see something extraordinary in Gabriel and are depending on him to rescue them from hardship and oppression and deliver them their freedom. As he ponders his role in all of this, he yearns for meaning in his life and searches for a path to his destiny, which…he will soon find.

It is Gabriel’s older brother Arhys who is his biggest supporter. As Commander of the Ravenskill Rebel Militia, it is his strong belief in Gabriel that fuels the fires of revolution in his eyes. He sees Gabriel as a catalyst for change and the people’s one and only appointed guide on the road to freedom. He is convinced it is Gabriel’s destiny. Arhys also has another reason to want to be free of this life of adversity… his eight year old son Xander whom he affectionately calls ‘X’. His love for Xander and longing for a better life and secure future for him is what keeps him motivated and willing to push forward with the crusade through these increasingly difficult times. As a single father he carries the memory of X’s mother and his only love,
    Evangeline, with a heavy heart and with deep dedication. Knowing that she would not survive the birth of their son and recounting the life of misery and misfortune she endured, he promises her on her deathbed that he will see to a better future for X and devote the rest of his life to their son’s safety, prosperity and ultimately, his freedom. Arhys proceeds to further educate the townspeople of Gabriel’s powers and plant the seeds for an uprising amongst them.

Like vines racing across the landscape, news quickly travels throughout the region and talk of Gabriel’s increasing popularity and the mysterious gift he possesses eventually reaches Lord Nafaryus himself. The ruler, both intrigued as well as envious of the apparent influence Gabriel has over the people, decides to pay the residents of Ravenskill a visit. Concerned, he wants to see what all the hype is
    about and whether or not Gabriel truly presents a threat to the Empire. He is also aware of the rumblings of a revolution beginning to surface throughout G.N.E.A. and in order to quell any foolish talk of mass rebellion, is prepared to make an example of Gabriel if necessary. Along with his exquisite wife Empress Arabelle, his loyal son Crown Prince Daryus and his daughter, the beautiful Princess Faythe whom he treasures more than life itself, they embark upon their journey to the
    far-off reaches of The Realm in order to witness first hand what has become known as ‘Gabriel’s Gift’.
    Traveling across Eden’s Way and over the Emperor’s Bridge to Brother’s Crossing, they’ll ultimately arrive in Ravenskill where they will undoubtedly get to meet this mysterious savior face to face.

In Ravenskill a large crowd has assembled in the town square, as it often does, around Gabriel, whom we find playing an old, beat-up relic of an acoustic guitar and singing an uplifting song ironically about believing in who you are and knowing that when your time has come, you will answer the call as it is your destiny. Not only are Arhys, X and all in attendance amazed by the remarkably strange and magnificent instrument he is playing (as they are not used to music coming from anything but machines) but at the same time their souls are lifted up and wonderfully transported by his angelic voice to the point of aural ecstasy. Gabriel’s divinely inspired music has a mystical way of penetrating even the most guarded individuals and transcends all generations while reawakening the dormant feelings of passion, power and self worth in anyone who hears it. It is at that moment that Nafaryus and his entourage arrive in the square, startling and alarming the townspeople. Gabriel stops singing and a thick silence falls upon the gathering. Everyone is very aware that they are in the presence of the Emperor and the Imperial Family and the danger associated with that very scenario. Flanked by his guards, Nafaryus addresses Gabriel saying,
    “So, this is Gabriel The Astonishing. Please, do not stop on my account.
    Continue as you were.”
    Arhys responds to him, “We are gathered here in peace my Lord and want no trouble” to which Nafaryus replies, “We are only here to witness for ourselves what we have all heard so much about. Gabriel’s remarkable gift.”
    After an uncomfortable pause, Prince Daryus looks at Gabriel and with a threatening tone says, “Do as my father says…savior!”
    Gabriel knows he has no choice and as he starts to lay his fingers on the guitar, he spots Princess Faythe standing next to the Empress and is absolutely mesmerized.
    She is…astonishing.

Gabriel commences playing and starts to sing the words of a deeply moving song. At first sheepishly and then with confidence and passion he sings the lines…
    When you're facing the path that divides
    Know that I will be there by your side
    Find your strength in the sound of my voice
    And you'll know
    Which choice is right
    In an instant, the words strike a very deep chord within Faythe and, as if awoken from a spell, the Princess’ eyes lock with Gabriel’s. Like a lightning bolt from the heavens and without hesitation, they immediately know that they are meant to be together and that this encounter was no accident. It is clear that somehow this moment marked the first step on the path to each other’s destiny. Up until now there had only been one thing that she truly connected with which comforted her and gave her hope on the days when she felt most alone. It happened to come from
    a secret she’d been hiding for many years…

A vision of delightfulness with a look both enchantingly provocative and innocently demure at the same time, he has never before laid eyes upon anyone quite like her and her inescapable beauty pierces his soul. Gabriel however has not quite
    captured the princess’ attention yet, as she is distracted by the scope of her surroundings and completely in awe of the number of people peacefully gathered in the square that afternoon. She is moved by the sense of togetherness and community being displayed before them, all amidst dreadful and practically unbearable living conditions. As a sheltered princess accustomed to the excesses of her palatial life, she is certainly not used to seeing any of this. Her heart immediately goes out to them and she is touched by their collective innocence and flickering sense of hope that a better life does exist somewhere out there. Although possessing her father’s tenacity and stubbornness, she is very much not aligned
    with his way of thinking or harsh methods of ruling. In many ways she, like
    Gabriel, shares the same feelings of isolation, often feeling like an outsider in her own home. She is alone, shielded from the bleak world by an over protective father, and longing for a purpose. And also like Gabriel, yearning for meaning in her life and searching for the path to her own destiny.
    As a young girl growing up on New Maineland, she was a very curious child and used to keep herself entertained by going on adventures throughout the palace. One day while on one of these journeys she stumbled upon the Great Hall of Artifacts buried deep within its underground corridors. It is here that she found something remarkable; an antique digital music player very common during decades past but now deemed obsolete. It was filled with thousands of songs from all sorts of talented artists from a distant time when music was still created and performed by humans. It had a strange engraving on the back that simply said, “To BUG”. She didn’t know what it meant but that never mattered to her. She carried it with her wherever she went, always being careful to conceal it from those around her, especially her father. Relishing any private opportunity she could get to escape the realities of her cold and shielded imperial life, with her ear phones carefully hidden beneath her hair and her hood, she’d lose herself in the beautiful sounds of long ago. Still, as a young woman, there is not a day that goes by without her stealing a moment to listen to her prized secret device, the magical vessel that carries her spirit throughout the endless adventures of her imagination. Hearing Gabriel play the guitar and sing with an almost indescribable air of grace and beauty that day is the first time she ever feels such an overwhelming sense of safety and belonging outside of her private rendezvous with her music player.

When the song is finished, the crowd erupts in glorious applause and even Nafaryus, notably moved by Gabriel’s song, is momentarily caught up in the contagious atmosphere of elation surrounding him. He is quickly brought back to reality, however, when he notices how Gabriel and the Princess are gazing at each other and immediately shouts out, “Enough!” Empress Arabelle also catches the two locked in an infatuating stare, and a quick glance from Faythe to her mother ensures that she knows the Empress is aware. Sensing that things are quickly about to go very wrong, Arhys has Gabriel obscured from view by his soldiers and swiftly whisked away and out of Nafaryus’ sight.
    Lord Nafaryus will not tolerate the adoration and allegiance of his people to anyone other than himself and his jealousy of Gabriel’s power over them as well as his insecurities about the future of The Empire makes him feel the need to demonstrate his superiority. He immediately sees Gabriel as a threat to The Realm. The Emperor very smugly addresses Arhys and the townspeople saying that they can hide and protect Gabriel all they want but that he will not stoop to their level and take part of some sort of foolish cat and mouse game in order to find their ‘Savior’. He ensures them that ‘Gabriel The Astonishing’ will come to him willingly and surrender himself in person to his highness or suffer dire consequences. Nafaryus then declares that Gabriel has three days to give himself up and guarantee the disbanding and surrender of the Rebel Militia and cease all talk of revolution. Staring maliciously at X who is attempting to cower behind his father’s back, he continues to state that if ‘The Savior’ refuses to comply within that time, he will return with his forces, and he will hunt Gabriel down destroying every home one by one and killing every inhabitant until he is captured. And with that terrifying decree, Lord Nafaryus and his entourage depart Ravenskill leaving the stunned villagers to process the gravity of their newfound situation. As they head back to the palace, Princess Faythe is consumed with the vision of Gabriel and their obviously magnetic connection. Still intoxicated by his music, she is obsessed with the overwhelming notion that she must see him again.

Back in Ravenskill, Gabriel has gone into hiding and is being protected by Arhys’ men. Commander Arhys is convinced that his civilian army, combined with the bordering rebel forces in the region is strong enough to protect the town, and that there should be no talk of Gabriel’s surrender under any circumstances. Gabriel however is severely traumatized by all of this and is questioning the possession of his so called ‘gift’ now, more than ever. His surrender will clearly mark the end of any possible chance of peace and freedom for his people and will also most likely ensure his own demise. How can he abandon all that they’ve worked for, all that they stand for and all they have sacrificed for? On the other hand, how can he be so selfish as to make his own life worth more than all of the innocent inhabitants of his town? In the midst of all of this, he cannot shake the vision of Princess Faythe from his memory. He is completely absorbed with the thought of her and entranced by her inescapable beauty. Gabriel has come to a major crossroads in his life and knows that a turning point is imminent.

After returning home to the palace, Princess Faythe realizes that her desire to see Gabriel again is not waning and that she is desperate to be with him no matter what the cost. It is simply something that she can most certainly feel yet cannot explain. She knows instinctually that fate has brought them together and that they both have a higher purpose to fulfill by their union, so she makes a plan to return
    to Ravenskill the next morning. As to not alert the rebels or alarm the locals who may recognize her and think her a threat, she decides it is best to conceal her true identity while traveling outside of the palace. Empress Arabelle, ever in tune with the princess’ intentions, sees that she is planning this trip and confronts her about it. After seeing the spark of joy and passion in her daughter’s eyes as she talks about her feelings for Gabriel; eyes that have been cold and empty for so long, now ablaze with excitement and hope, she knows that the right thing to do is to let her go. She could not possibly deprive Faythe of pursuing her true love. Always the protective mother, the Empress has Prince Daryus secretly follow his sister in order to ensure her safety. Daryus willingly complies but has evil intentions of his own, which he is all too eager to carry out.

Upon arriving in Ravenskill on the morning of the second day, the disguised princess asks if anyone knows where she could find Arhys, knowing that no one will voluntarily offer up Gabriel’s whereabouts and will certainly think of anyone asking as suspicious. Frustrated and exhausted, not really getting anywhere due to high levels of anxiety and vigilance amongst the townspeople, she eventually catches a break. She sees a young boy playing in front of a fountain and recognizes him as Arhys’ son Xander. Faythe’s gentle nature and sensitively alluring eyes win over the boy’s trust almost instantly. She convinces him that she has a way that she can help his father as well as Gabriel if she can just speak to him. Of course, all the while her brother Daryus has been watching her from afar and is now equally equipped with the information required to set his plan in motion.
    X innocently leads the princess to the military camp where Arhys is preparing the rebel forces. Faythe takes the Commander aside and very bravely reveals her true identity to him. At first he is immediately tempted to arrest her and hold her as leverage against Nafaryus, but she assures him that her intentions are true and that she has a way to end the conflict and restore peace, but that she will only share it with Gabriel. Reluctantly, Arhys eventually agrees and leads her to where Gabriel is being hidden. Upon seeing each other they embrace and promise never to be separated again. First though, the conflict with Lord Nafaryus needs to be resolved before the three days expire. She tells Gabriel that she is certain she can convince her father to spare him as well as all of Ravenskill, and that she has seen a gentle and forgiving side of him before that need only be reignited. Although there is not much time left, she is convinced that through their unity her father will see a way to restore peace to the land and give up his preposterous witch-hunt.

The Princess’s words resonate with Gabriel and he remembers how his song in the square temporarily moved Nafaryus the day before. Gabriel is convinced that the absence of art and music and the incessant drivel being spewed out by the NOMACS has caused a sort of emotional hibernation amongst Lord Nafaryus and his supporters, ultimately leading to the deadening of his soul and the lack of any compassion in his heart. If Gabriel could just meet with the Emperor and Empress, he knows that through the power of his magical gift of music, especially with their daughter by his side, he could reawaken their spirits and bring harmony back to The Realm. Nafaryus need only agree to ignore the NOMACS for a moment and just listen. Excited to share this encouraging plan with her father, she returns to the palace to speak to him and convince him to meet with Gabriel.

Meanwhile, still in Ravenskill, Prince Daryus follows Xander on his way home that evening. As X is about to enter his house, Daryus overpowers him and forces his way inside where the devious prince holds the boy hostage and waits for his father to return. Arhys eventually comes home only to find that Daryus has broken in and is now holding X’s life in his hands. Recognizing his son’s captor to be Prince Daryus and keeping X’s safety in mind, he immediately withdraws any efforts to apprehend the prince and instead asks him what he wants. Daryus makes him an offer that will put Arhys in an extremely complicated and life altering position…If Arhys delivers Gabriel to him, Prince Daryus will in return guarantee the safety, protection and prosperity of Xander for the rest of his life. He will enjoy all of the riches The Empire has to offer, the best education and a privileged life equal to that of Nafaryus’ own son. He will be in want of nothing for the rest of his life. As he sees it, the choice is easy because either way, they will capture Gabriel in the end. This way, he will be his son’s hero. Why is this so important to Daryus? He has lived in the shadow of his father’s outward love and adoration of Faythe his entire life. He has been unfairly pushed aside and expected to just ‘be a man’, ‘suck it up’ and relinquish any need of parental approval or praise. He could never quite measure up to the Emperor’s expectations and is deeply jealous of his father’s favoritism shown towards the princess. Daryus sees the successful capture of Gabriel as his opportunity to win over his father’s respect and gain the admiration he deserves.

Daryus remains in Ravenskill for the evening and gives Arhys the rest of the night to consider his offer, telling him that he expects an answer by morning or the deal
    is off. Obviously Arhys has a seemingly insurmountable decision to make. How can he possibly turn his back on his own brother? How can he betray the trust of his soldiers and his fellow people altogether abandoning the plans for revolution they have been working so tirelessly on for years now? Then he remembers the promise he made to Evangeline before she breathed her last breath; to see to the protection and livelihood of their son and to the dedication of his life to X’s eventual freedom. After a mostly sleepless night, he concludes that he has no choice, and with
    Xander’s best interests in mind, contacts Prince Daryus agreeing to the terms of his offer. He vows to divulge the time and location to Daryus later that day, where the exchange of Gabriel’s freedom for the sake of X’s future will take place.

That morning, Princess Faythe isn’t having quite the same luck convincing her father to meet with Gabriel, and the unwelcome news of her being in love with ‘the enemy’ further compounds his unwillingness to cooperate. Nafaryus finds the notion of a meeting both absurd and fruitless, since by the start of the next day his forces will be bearing down upon Ravenskill with all their wrath and fury if her boyfriend, ‘The Savior’ does not surrender himself as the impostor he truly is. Princess Faythe pleas with him that they only ask for a chance to be listened to without judgment, and if the Emperor is not convinced upon the conclusion of Gabriel’s message, then he will agree to surrender himself fully and with honor as per Nafaryus’ wishes. Perceiving any negotiation as a sign of weakness, however, Nafaryus shows no intention of even considering what he views to be his daughter’s foolish desires. Faythe is frustrated by her father’s ignorance, thick headedness and absence of
    compassion for the people of his Empire, as well as his lack of respect for her feelings. It is then that Empress Arabelle expresses that she’s seen enough of this stubbornness between the two of them and enlightens him to the fact that if he doesn’t agree to this meeting, his daughter will never forgive him and that he will lose her forever.
    “I remember a time when you too possessed Faythe’s romantic innocence and passion for life’s unexplored mysteries…BUG.” says Arabelle to her husband.
    It is then that Faythe realizes that the word “BUG” inscribed on the back of her music player was referring to her father and that it once belonged to him!
    It had been given to him as a gift by his own father who shared the same secret affinity for music made by humans as Faythe eventually would. As a very young boy, Nafaryus was always zipping in and out of the palace halls and buzzing around his father’s feet trying to get the busy Emperor’s attention (hence the nickname ‘BUG’). The rare times when he wasn't consumed with balancing the many affairs of The Realm, his father would privately submit to the therapeutic bliss of his own secretly kept digital music player, oftentimes inviting young Nafaryus to indulge in these undisclosed
    soul-soothing escapes. His gift of the
    music player to his son was his way of letting Nafaryus know that they would always have that special connection no matter how complicated life may eventually get. As time passed, however, Nafaryus grew into adulthood and his father the Emperor grew old and tired. The allure of the imminent passing of the crown to the ambitious prince and all of the power and control associated with it far
    out-shadowed the indulgences of some silly music player. In the course of time his father fell ill, eventually passing away and with the rise of the NOMACS drowning out his memory, the music player was discarded by the newly crowned Emperor Nafaryus and ultimately forgotten.
    Until…now.

For the first time Princess Faythe reveals the secret music player she’d been both relishing and concealing almost her entire life to the Emperor, saying,
    “See father, you also once enjoyed the beauty of real music and not just the garbage of those dreadful NOMACS.”
    “Where did you get that, child?” Shouts Nafaryus, to which Faythe responds, “Never mind that.” “I am not a child anymore, father, I am a woman who doesn't want to be told what to do or who I can or cannot see anymore!” “Now please reach inside your soul and show me that you are not just the heartless dictator you have come to be known as.”
    Not able to contest the wisdom of neither his wife nor his daughter, Nafaryus concedes, knowing that if he persists, he risks losing the princess forever and so agrees to the meeting. If Gabriel truly is ‘The Chosen One’ and can sway him as his beloved daughter says he can, then he will cease all plans of attack on Ravenskill and award him his freedom. If not, then he will accept Gabriel’s surrender as promised, at which point it will be sure that she will never see him again.

Elated, Princess Faythe immediately shares the news with Gabriel, who is still in hiding back at Ravenskill. He tells her that he knows of the perfect neutral location for this summit and that the only way this is ensured to work is if the meeting takes place that evening, under the dance of the stars and the glow of the midnight moon at a once magnificent but since abandoned amphitheater on the edge of town called Heaven’s Cove. It is against the dramatic backdrop of a place where music once poured from the lighted stage where Gabriel will best be able to showcase his miraculous musical gift and is sure that once enlightened, there is no way the Emperor will be able to follow through with his plans. As a symbolic gesture of peace, Faythe agrees to sing together along with Gabriel so that when her father hears the purity and innocence of love and unity in their combined voices, the fate of their future will be sealed. Aware there is always the chance that the outcome of tonight’s events may not turn out as they both desire, Gabriel and
    Faythe decide it best to meet at Heaven’s Cove ahead of time in order to relish what may possibly be their final moments alone together and to rehearse for their performance that evening. Faythe shares the location with her father and later that day Nafaryus and Arabelle begin to make their way to the amphitheater at Heaven’s Cove on Endless Isleland; the Emperor outwardly pessimistic and with guards in tow prepared for what he predicts will be Gabriel’s surrender.

Gabriel immediately tells Arhys the news about his meeting
    with Nafaryus at the abandoned amphitheater and his plans to rehearse with the Princess beforehand. He is convinced that
    this is the opportunity he’s been waiting for…a chance to use his gift as a conduit of peace and the means for preventing any further bloodshed
    of their people and the destruction of Ravenskill. Gabriel is of course unaware of the plans of betrayal made between his brother and Prince Daryus and he notices that Arhys is acting strange and seems uncharacteristically nervous and uncomfortable. He suspects that it is the safety of his younger brother and the looming threat of attack on their village that he must be concerned about. Regardless, Gabriel leaves to prepare for the big night and Arhys, upon now receiving the information necessary to entrap his brother, contacts Daryus and tells him that he will deliver Gabriel to him that night at Heaven’s Cove. Still struggling with his conscience, and not fully trusting the prince’s intentions, he tells Daryus that he is secretly meeting his brother there to discuss the final plans for the uprising but does not reveal the information about Gabriel’s intended encounter with Lord Nafaryus, or his plans to rehearse with the princess. He assures the prince that with only the three of them there, Gabriel will have no chance and that he promises to stand by and let his brother be captured. Afterwards he will tell everyone that he put up a fight to protect him, but to no avail. The prince will be able to present the captured ‘Savior’ to his father and finally for once, be seen as the hero.

As the pivotal moment approaches on the evening of the third day, the night sky above Heaven’s Cove is dark and still, with the only light provided being that found in-between the shadows created by the decaying structure under the pale glow of the moonlit sky.

Faythe realizes that her life has now taken a new turn and that through her destined relationship with Gabriel, she has been given the opportunity to start anew. She feels that there must be more to life than what she has come to know and that she is somehow meant to fulfill a higher purpose. She dreams of a peaceful world where everyone is given a chance to prosper
    and where all citizens could be free to follow their desires and express their creativity. She is resolved to use the power of her royal status to champion the changes necessary to realize this vision, and to be the voice of the people as they journey towards justice and equality.

Arhys nervously awaits Prince Daryus and Gabriel at the barren amphitheater for the moment of betrayal that will ultimately lead to his brother’s capture. He is completely unaware, however, that X followed him there and is hiding behind a tree watching with curiously as his father awaits the Prince. Miraculously though, Arhys bravely decides that alas there will be no betrayal tonight…As Prince Daryus comes into view eager to reap the rewards of his crafty plan, Arhys recognizes the same malicious look in his eyes that his father Nafaryus had in the square as he leered at Xander and threatened the people of Ravenskill. It is at that moment that Arhys summons a well of courage and integrity deep within his soul and recalling the message in the words of the song sung by Gabriel in the square only a few days ago…
    When you're facing the path that divides
    Know that I will be there by your side
    Find your strength in the sound of my voice
    And you'll know
    Which choice is right
    He declares to Daryus that Gabriel is his blood and he would rather die than betray his brother or his people to which the prince resounds, “Then, tonight you die!” A fight ensues and although Xander can only make out the twisted shapes in the shadows as the struggle goes on, it is apparent after a final grunt from his father that Daryus has stolen Arhys’ last breath and with that he was gone.

X comes running out of the dark, crying and clinging to his father’s lifeless body, startling Daryus who was unaware that he was present. The prince would have ended the young boy’s life right then and there but is suddenly distracted by a dark figure approaching him through the theater’s corridor. “Of course! It has to be Gabriel arriving for the meeting with his brother,” he mutters to himself. He’s thinking that now not only will he be the one to capture The Savior, but also to deliver the dead Commander of the Rebel Militia in the same night! As the cloaked figure quickly approaches, Prince Daryus, hiding in the shadows, prepares to attack. When the figure is just about upon him he leaps out of the darkness and unleashes a seemingly deadly strike sure enough to take Gabriel down permanently. However, as if in slow motion, just as his weapon is about to make contact, he comes face to face with the figure and looking into its eyes realizes that it is not Gabriel. It is his sister, Princess Faythe who was on her way into the amphitheater to meet with him! Faythe was unaware of any imminent danger since she was listening to her music player, earphones hidden beneath her hair and hood as usual.

Unfortunately, it is too late. His weapon meets its target and her limp body falls to the ground, leaving Daryus standing there utterly in shock and completely horrified over what he has just done. Only seconds too late, Gabriel arrives to see the
    stunned prince perched over his cherished Faythe who is lying on the ground and left gasping for her final breaths. He stumbles towards her in disbelief, almost simultaneously noticing his brother Arhys lying lifeless only feet away with X
    crying over his father’s dead body. At that moment the overwhelming, soul crushing feeling of grief and pain become more than any man could be expected to handle, and while covering X’s ears, Gabriel unleashes a blood curdling scream straight from the darkest depths of the abyss at a level unsustainable to the human ear. Faythe is unaffected due to the protection of her earphones but Daryus is not so lucky. The scream shatters the prince’s eardrums causing irreversible nerve damage and rendering him hearing-less. He is now doomed to live inside of his own soundless prison with the rest of his lifetime left to lament in a barren wasteland of silence over his despicable actions.

At this point Lord Nafaryus and the Empress, only a short distance away, having heard Gabriel’s outcry and wondering who or what could produce such a sound, begin to descend upon the amphitheater along with the Emperor’s guards. They cannot believe their eyes when they arrive to see the gruesome scene that just took place…their only daughter, Lord Nafaryus’ angelic jewel of his crown, the Princess of G.N.E.A., lying motionless in Gabriel’s arms. Their son the prince, blood stained and still clutching at his head, hands over his ears. They both run over to the princess sobbing and pleading God not to take their precious daughter from them. During this time, also curious as to the loud sound that came out of the night and the commotion coming from the usually silent Heaven’s Cove, residents from the surrounding area start to gather around Gabriel and Faythe. One, two, three at a time until the entire amphitheater is filled with people both bewildered and traumatized by the events unfolding under the moonlight that night. Lord Nafaryus takes his daughter’s body from Gabriel and, stroking her hair, begins to confess his regrets to her. Through burning tears and a weary voice he apologizes for his stubborn pride and his foolish ego. He concedes that this is entirely his fault and that none of this would have happened if he weren’t so envious of Gabriel and the powers he possesses. She smiles at him as she starts to fade away, offering forgiveness with her eyes, but her flame is flickering so very faintly at this point and will quickly be extinguished for good. Suddenly, Nafaryus has an epiphany…If Gabriel truly is The Savior as it has been said, then the miraculous healing power of his gift could be used to save the princess’ life!

He humbly pleads with Gabriel to sing. Sing until the heavens open up and the grace of God shines down upon his daughter and releases her from the clutches of death. But Gabriel cannot sing. The scream which he bellowed forth upon seeing his dead brother and the fallen princess, the scream which deafened Prince Daryus and alerted everyone in the region of this terrible nightmare they all were experiencing, had rendered his voice useless. He wanted to sing. He tried but was only capable of producing a few scratchy whispers.

All seemed hopeless and futile at that moment, but just as Gabriel had predicted that everyone would know what to do when they are called upon, a choir of voices begins to rise from the people gathered in the amphitheater under the moonlight and together they answer the call. They had listened to Gabriel’s message and truly taken it to heart and now it was they who were providing the hope and strength needed for him in this grim and seemingly desperate situation. They were the collective beacons of light in the darkness guiding him through the night. As their singing voices grow louder and louder, it is discovered that they themselves are the true revolution. They have given Gabriel the strength and belief he needed to be able to find his voice. And he does indeed! Music flies out of his vocal chords like beaming rays of light from the sun and it sounds like a chorus of a thousand angels. Nafaryus was right. The beautiful Princess Faythe does, as it happens, open her eyes and is freed from the chains of eternal sleep. At this moment, Gabriel finally knows why he has been given this remarkable gift and why he truly is The Chosen One…Gabriel The Astonishing.

Everyone rejoices, but there is one very sad and unresolved piece to this complicated puzzle…Gabriel has lost his brother and Xander his father. X is now alone in the world without the loving guidance of his father to protect and nurture him. But this story has always been about fulfilling one’s destiny… It is now clear that together as a new family, Gabriel and Faythe shall be the ones to raise X, and he will not be left to walk through this harsh world alone. Arhys’ death was not in vain. He kept his promise to Evangeline of their son one day being a free man and enjoying a prosperous life.

Eternally grateful, Lord Nafaryus immediately puts an end to the crusade against Gabriel and the people of Ravenskill and orders his guards to silence the NOMACS for good.

The Emperor has listened to the collective voice of his people and promises to govern The Realm as a fair and just leader. Together with the insightful guidance of his beloved Empress Arabelle, they will lift the restrictions holding back his people and promote free will so that all inhabitants of G.N.E.A. will be given the opportunity to seek a better life for themselves and their families. Aware of the new struggles that Prince Daryus will now face, Gabriel and the Princess agree to offer him their full forgiveness and accept him into their newly united family. He is pardoned by Lord Nafaryus for his crimes, who also vows his commitment to the care and protection of his son who will need his father’s help as he navigates the hardships of his new handicap. Prince Daryus finally has the love and attention he so desperately yearned for from his father.
    Peace has at last been restored to The Empire and the people now pledge their allegiance to a new way of life; A better life where art and creative individualism are celebrated and the astonishing power of music made by humans is treasured and enjoyed by all once again, and so it shall be forever.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    If anyone understands this, please PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    It's already in tires and rims. See Vittoria's new line up. They claimed that it helped alter softer rubber to have better durability and better rolling characteristics. They seem to be conservative with their rim claims, only really saying the spoke holes are stronger and higher resistance to heat (regarding rim brakes), not really mentioning anything like increased impact resistance.
    It's not a structural material, yet. The longest strands of graphene produced to date are less than a centimeter long. So, what those companies are doing is mixing minute threads into their composite structures.

When we achieve meters long filaments, then we can make graphene composites that weigh 1/3 what equally strong carbon composites weigh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    If anyone understands this, please PM me
    Dream Theater lyrics. probably an air buble passing thrue

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I'd say this, but during the next election there is going to be a comprehensive power grid failure and we are all going to die of dehydration. Only our leaders and the very elite will survive. They will dissolve The Constitution and start a one world government. And in the year 2285 you'll have this:

In the year 2285, The NOMACS (Noise Machines) appear over the Emperor’s palace on New Maineland....
    Hard to say where you plagiarized that from, Melania...

Dream Theater | Track Description

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    Dream Theater lyrics. probably an air buble passing thrue
    If we're goin concept albums, I'd go Operation Mindcrime way before this.

Dream Theater is the Dungeons and Dragons of Prog Rock.

Flappity flappity flap
    Nice.

Dream theater rips off Rush rips off Anthem.

Wonder who Ayn was ripping off?

mtbr member
    More exotic materials,more electronics,derailleur less drive train, yet another tire/wheel size.

mtbr member
    Operation Mindcrime
    That's another good one. I've seen it many times in concert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    It's not a structural material, yet. The longest strands of graphene produced to date are less than a centimeter long. So, what those companies are doing is mixing minute threads into their composite structures.

When we achieve meters long filaments, then we can make graphene composites that weigh 1/3 what equally strong carbon composites weigh.
    Are the properties suitable for mountain bike frames.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    That's another good one. I've seen it many times in concert.
    But, I have no idea what's going on. Why did Dr X ask him to kill sister Mary? And the priest?

mtbr member
    But, I have no idea what's going on. Why did Dr X ask him to kill sister Mary? And the priest?
    "She's a risk. And, get the priest as well."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Mindcrime

mtbr member
    I almost posted "thread killer" after the Dream Theater overload. But more like a thread derailment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I almost posted "thread killer" after the Dream Theater overload. But more like a thread derailment.
    from motocross to Queenswryche. Don't know what you mean.

Cycologist
    And to keep the derailment going on concept albums, I gotta go with the Coolies "Doug".

from wikipedia:

Doug is the story of a skinhead, named Doug, who kills a drag queen short-order cook, steals his recipe book and becomes a "culinary giant" when the cookbook becomes a nationwide bestseller. Doug embraces the celebrity lifestyle of stretch limousines and partying. Soon, his guilt drives him to become paranoid, and he's certain that the entire food service industry knows of his crime and is out for revenge -- so he decides he will stop eating, and subsist solely on crack cocaine and alcohol. Having squandered his fortune on luxuries and drugs, Doug ends up back on the streets in poverty.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    And to keep the derailment going on concept albums, I gotta go with the Coolies "Doug".

from wikipedia:

Doug is the story of a skinhead, named Doug, who kills a drag queen short-order cook, steals his recipe book and becomes a "culinary giant" when the cookbook becomes a nationwide bestseller. Doug embraces the celebrity lifestyle of stretch limousines and partying. Soon, his guilt drives him to become paranoid, and he's certain that the entire food service industry knows of his crime and is out for revenge -- so he decides he will stop eating, and subsist solely on crack cocaine and alcohol. Having squandered his fortune on luxuries and drugs, Doug ends up back on the streets in poverty.
    That's a ripoff of "Crime & Punishment" by Dostoevsky.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Are the properties suitable for mountain bike frames.
    Certainly. It'll be utilized like carbon fiber, just stronger and lighter.

Super interesting stuff really, it has application in electronics, phonics, materials, medicine, and much more, but it's stuck in the lab right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potent...ns_of_graphene

Trail Ninja
    From that wiki:

Structural material
    Graphene's strength, stiffness and lightness suggested it for use with carbon fiber. Graphene has been used as a reinforcing agent to improve the mechanical properties of biodegradable polymeric nanocomposites for engineering bone tissue.

Just FYI, rubber is a polymer. It's being used structurally how the wiki suggests.

To understand why it's unlikely to be seen as you imagine, in as soon as 4 years, look at how long it took for other materials to mature, like carbon fiber, which was pioneered in the 1960s. Carbon fiber's method of manufacturing is totally different than graphene's, as a fiber and not a film deposit. Also, some patents might be holding back certain uses, such as this one. I just can't think of why anyone would think something on the scale of nanometers would be used to replace structural materials like metals. Perhaps it'll show up as a coating like Kashima Coat, Diamond-like Carbon (DLC), etc... the breakthrough is more in the discovery of how properties change at the nanoscale, rather than the material itself. By taking graphite and stripping an 1-atom thick layer of it off onto a substrate like silicon, the way the carbon atoms bond together creates new properties like extreme strength and stiffness that it was like a different material, hence graphene. It's not unlike of how heat treating aluminum and steel hardens it, due to the internal crystalline structure changing, creating "new" materials like Duralumin and Zicral.

Not sure how you are imagining this material being built up into larger objects, made from mostly graphene alone... wouldn't making it thick be akin to making graphite? It's more likely going to continue to be used for a film/additive/reinforcement that imparts some of its properties to the actual structural material. A 3d printer can combine a more easily mass produced version of it, graphene oxide, with another polymer, to maybe create something more functional... as for bike related parts, reinforcing tires and carbon is a good first step. Maybe they can fill hollow parts with a graphene aerogel to provide stiffness, similar to how there's structural foam in the Trek Session's pivot area and in SRAM cranks. Or use the conductive properties for electronics, including the advancement of improving the energy density of batteries.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Eh, I think you may be giving the Coolies more credit than they deserve. But it was amusing back in the '80s.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Which, might be in turn, of Macbeth. Or Theseus

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    From that wiki:

Structural material
    Graphene's strength, stiffness and lightness suggested it for use with carbon fiber. Graphene has been used as a reinforcing agent to improve the mechanical properties of biodegradable polymeric nanocomposites for engineering bone tissue.

Just FYI, rubber is a polymer. It's being used structurally how the wiki suggests.

To understand why it's unlikely to be seen as you imagine, in as soon as 4 years, look at how long it took for other materials to mature, like carbon fiber, which was pioneered in the 1960s. Carbon fiber's method of manufacturing is totally different than graphene's, as a fiber and not a film deposit. Also, some patents might be holding back certain uses, such as this one. I just can't think of why anyone would think something on the scale of nanometers would be used to replace structural materials like metals. Perhaps it'll show up as a coating like Kashima Coat, Diamond-like Carbon (DLC), etc... the breakthrough is more in the discovery of how properties change at the nanoscale, rather than the material itself. By taking graphite and stripping an 1-atom thick layer of it off onto a substrate like silicon, the way the carbon atoms bond together creates new properties like extreme strength and stiffness that it was like a different material, hence graphene. It's not unlike of how heat treating aluminum and steel hardens it, due to the internal crystalline structure changing, creating "new" materials like Duralumin and Zicral.

Not sure how you are imagining this material being built up into larger objects, made from mostly graphene alone... wouldn't making it thick be akin to making graphite? It's more likely going to continue to be used for a film/additive/reinforcement that imparts some of its properties to the actual structural material. A 3d printer can combine a more easily mass produced version of it, graphene oxide, with another polymer, to maybe create something more functional... as for bike related parts, reinforcing tires and carbon is a good first step. Maybe they can fill hollow parts with a graphene aerogel to provide stiffness, similar to how there's structural foam in the Trek Session's pivot area and in SRAM cranks. Or use the conductive properties for electronics, including the advancement of improving the energy density of batteries.
    I've done some commercial technology assessment of graphene, & you are partially right. But the situation is more complex than you have stated.

There are 2 ways to produce graphene: peal a layer from native graphite or deposit a layer in a vapor deposition process.

Vapor deposition is by far much more expensive, but produces larger pristine crystals. This is the kind most valued for electrical & semiconductor properties. It also has excellent mechanical strength, but is too expensive to be of any commercial value for structural applications.

Pealed graphite could become a viable ingredient in ultra-light carbon fiber composites, but production cost will need to come down along with high-volume production methods. You are more likely to see it in airframes & other high-value applications before it happens for consumer sports products.

A decade ago, there was similar chatter about carbon nano-tubes, but that never commercialized. Probably the same researchers that were working on that are now focused on graphene. There has been some published research on combined graphene & nano-tubes in composites that are much stronger than either separately.

The use of graphene in tires was to enhance tread wear & heat dissipation; completely different requirements than for structures. The jury is still out on whether the additional cost for enhanced properties in tires will be a commercial success. Maybe after graphene production costs come down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Wireless disc brake

~ B A D A S S ~

Attachment 1089873
    Is this the new stealth bomber bike?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I think we will see edible frames and rims mostly.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Carbon Candy?

mtbr member
    To match your edible panties?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Edible panties are already sold in store now.
    We need all wireless components. No hydraulic disc brakes

~ B A D A S S ~
    To match your edible panties?

only if they are twisted.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    We need all wireless components. No hydraulic disc brakes

ok what about edible wireless components?? I think thats a fairly good idea.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    only if they are twisted.
    They are very twisted!

mtbr member
    We need all wireless components. Tapatalk
    What about wireless bras? Wait, I think they have those. What about wireless panties, then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    What about wireless bras? Wait, I think they have those. What about wireless panties, then?
    Oh no, you gotta big set of DDs, you need wires to hold those things up. Maybe even girders. Wireless panties are a good thing. Especially if you have the remote control.

Elitest thrill junkie
    More **** I won't be able to afford until 3-5 years after it comes onto the market.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    More **** I won't be able to afford until 3-5 years after it comes onto the market.
    You can't even afford a pair of wireless panties?

Members who have read this thread: 42