What are some lightweight long-travel frames?- Mtbr.com
    RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009

What are some lightweight long-travel frames?

I mean, like FR type bikes that can be pedalled up hill.

ASR-7?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The ibis mojo is pretty highly regarded, I think the HD model is the latest and beefiest but still very light.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, they look pretty light for what they are, but the Mojo is only 140mm travel, and the HD is only 160mm. I'm just not sure that I'd call either one of those "long travel".

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    Yeah, they look pretty light for what they are, but the Mojo is only 140mm travel, and the HD is only 160mm. I'm just not sure that I'd call either one of those "long travel".
    Well, 160 mm is long travel to me, but then I have 100mm on my anthem... plenty for how I ride. But anyway, what if you slap a 180mm fork and some beefy tires on that mojo HD? Still not enough?

Otherwise I think the new Scott Genius LT has 185 mm of travel, pretty expensive bike though. But it is nice....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used to see a guy climbing a vp-free pretty regularly. I don't know if they're particularly "light", but he pedaled to the top.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow
    ...the new Scott Genius LT has 185 mm of travel, pretty expensive bike though. But it is nice....
    Interesting bike.

I wonder how many more years before U.S. patent laws will allow Scott to mount the rear brake caliper to the chain stay?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by RIS
    Interesting bike.

I wonder how many more years before U.S. patent laws will allow Scott to mount the rear brake caliper to the chain stay?
    Four years.. the horst-link patent runs out in september 2014, which really isn't that long away now (because it was a continuation patent application that started back in 1994, it expires 20 years from the earliest filing date). Other fun bicycle patents which have now expired include the shimano patent on hyperglide shift ramps on rear cogs, the ratchet mechanism patent for rapidfire mtb shifters as well as the patent for the design of the dual-control STI road shifters. Oh and the freehub body patent with the hollow 10mm retaining bolt has also expired.

Though they could do it now if they really wanted to, they're now aware of a major bit of fraud that specialized committed with the patent office over the HL patent (and others) and they have the money to get that information before a judge if specialized were to try and issue them a cease & desist notice again.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member

long travel/light weight

If you have to ask,you probably don't need one.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Four years.. the horst-link patent runs out in september 2014, which really isn't that long away now (because it was a continuation patent application that started back in 1994, it expires 20 years from the earliest filing date). Other fun bicycle patents which have now expired include the shimano patent on hyperglide shift ramps on rear cogs, the ratchet mechanism patent for rapidfire mtb shifters as well as the patent for the design of the dual-control STI road shifters. Oh and the freehub body patent with the hollow 10mm retaining bolt has also expired.

Though they could do it now if they really wanted to, they're now aware of a major bit of fraud that specialized committed with the patent office over the HL patent (and others) and they have the money to get that information before a judge if specialized were to try and issue them a cease & desist notice again.
    I can wait. There are a lot of really cool bikes on the market right now that are being hobbled by that patent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    banshee rune.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevirey
    If you have to ask,you probably don't need one.
    This
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0