mtbr member

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills

My other sport is kiting. To be more specific I kitesurf, hydrofoil, Buggy and landboard.

How does it help my biking and vise versa.

Kiting gives me rock hard core. No more sore back from being hunched over a bike.

In the ocean the sea is allways moving. You have to see and react instantly. This helps riding tech track fasting honing my ability to react quickly.

Jumps are exponentially bigger that mtb. I've measured out jumping 36m distance on the land and easily double that on the water. On the water jumps are measure in height. My biggest jumps are around 10m high. The big jumping eyethometer helps reduce fear hitting mtb jumps.

Hydrofoil is all about balance. Imaging doing a wheeelie though moguls constantly. You have to be perfectly weighted or face plant. Hydrofoil helps with balance and flow,. .

Kite buggy in sand dunes is like having your own personal whislter to ride . The reacting to terrian is very similar to riding unknown tech track.

Lastly, When its blowning 40 bastards and raining its generally crap for biking but excellent for kiting. No wind fine day thats shit for kiting is awesome for biking.

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-1146983_10152165603689832_960119416_o.jpgWhat other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-16684147_10210145958699823_8609942000164504738_n.jpgWhat other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-22529019_10155238464666443_3640054831018741758_o.jpgWhat other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-26220574_10212971969628330_4071280014928303511_o.jpgWhat other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-dsc01382.jpg

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Rock climbing. Mountain biking helps climbing some because of the cardio benefit, but I don't see much reciprocal benefit the other direction.

Skiing as well, but not a ton of crossover there IMO except the benefit of different seasons.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Skiing has taught me how to load up on jumps and to be more comfortable in the air for a longer amount of time.

No known cure
    Snowboarding and surfing both help with picking lines at speed.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Skier here too. Iíve been a skier longer than a mountain biker. I find tree skiing to be similar to fast downhill biking. Picking lines, thinking fast and adapting to changes on the trail.

As I do more long backcountry rides I find the prep and planning the same as planning backcountry ski days. I have the same mentality of having the right gear, careful route planning and bail out points if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Reading terrain at mountain bike speed makes reading terrain at trail running speed really easy.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Swimming. Gets me off my feet, and keeps balance between upper and lower body. Going out in cold water really feels great on sore muscles and joints.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Growing up MX / Alpine Skiing / Stand Up Freestyle Jet Skiing and Slalom Watersking.

All transferable skills from one sport to the other.

The MX and Freestyle Stand Up Jet Skiing more so than the others. The list is too long to get into right now.

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-8f23c169-f8fa-4060-97f0-d9f1f52ee398.jpeg

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-e3d03267-29f8-43a8-8491-ca4f74ab5cc0.jpeg

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-ca4e5f58-5e42-4530-8ba9-66133f662909.jpeg
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Reading terrain at mountain bike speed makes reading terrain at trail running speed really easy.
    I've found it useful when hiking difficult terrain to think about how I'd ride it on my MTB.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    Dirt and street motorcycles, BMX.

mtbr member
    I trained horses for a long time. I learned how to turn a horse using my feet and hips. Then this one time I took this girl for a ride. Oh wait, sorry this is a family show.

mtbr member
    Soccer taought me how to suck wind.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I like to drink beer and start fires.
    Blowing stuff up is pretty fun.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Rock climbing. Mountain biking helps climbing some because of the cardio benefit, but I don't see much reciprocal benefit the other direction.

Skiing as well, but not a ton of crossover there IMO except the benefit of different seasons.
    Grip strength?. I bet you get buggar all arm pump on long descents.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Growing up MX / Alpine Skiing / Stand Up Freestyle Jet Skiing and Slalom Watersking.

All transferable skills from one sport to the other.

The MX and Freestyle Stand Up Jet Skiing more so than the others. The list is too long to get into right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F23C169-F8FA-4060-97F0-D9F1F52EE398.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	1202971

Name:	E3D03267-29F8-43A8-8491-CA4F74AB5CC0.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1202972

Name:	CA4E5F58-5E42-4530-8BA9-66133F662909.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	1202973
    Good to see another stand up Jetski rider on here!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes DJ, I spent many days on the river riding that type of
    Jetski.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hunting, some competetive shooting, and charreria (google it)

Not many transferable skills, except maybe the heavy drinking at the end of the day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    nm...gave up

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Autocross (USA, called auto slalom in some countries) form of auto racing/time trial: knowledge of how a damper works and what the adjustments do. They are used a little differently in a car, but compression and rebound are still the same. Also developing a feel for what a mechanical object is doing.

Soccer: cardio, body english

Baseball/softball: not much, though the cardio from MTB helps with this sport.

Running: cardio

Cycologist
    Trail running. I met a gal on the trail yesterday and she and another were talking about how they thought mtb would be no problem since they were runners but discovered that it uses some very different muscles. I think it helps one get used to constantly keeping the body pumping and teaches you how to recover in motion; no coasting when running. It is fun when running to think about what line I'd pick if I was on a bike.

Also some kayaking. Probably not a lot of transfer but I figure it's a good complement since it's more upper body. And it also uses weight shifting to maneuver so maybe some of the same hip muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Nat
    mtbr member
    After mountain biking I feel as if my bunny hop skills will transfer to driving my car since I apparently still think I can bunny hop my car over potholes.

Maybe a clipless gas pedal will help?

After mountain biking I feel as if my bunny hop skills will transfer to driving my car since I apparently still think I can bunny hop my car over potholes.

Maybe a clipless gas pedal will help?
    Do you find yourself leaning into the steering wheel and preloading with your legs then pulling up at the exact moment your car slams into the hole and your hubcap pops off at Mach I taking out a pedestrian?

mtbr member
    Lifting weights but not in a sport kinda way. Just lift for size/strength though once in a while I do compete in bench competition so I guess there's a tiny bit of sports aspect to my lifting.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Nat
    mtbr member
    Do you find yourself leaning into the steering wheel and preloading with your legs then pulling up at the exact moment your car slams into the hole and your hubcap pops off at Mach I taking out a pedestrian?
    Ha, yeah totally!

mtbr member
    I skied most of my life, and pretty aggressively in CO for a decade. Helps with jumps, drops, weight transfer (outside ski/outside pedal), comfort with speed and steeps. Probably more. Rode BMX and dirtbikes as a kid. Pumping was definitely a benefit from BMX and well as just goofing off doing silly stuff on flat pavement. Learning bunny hops, wheelies, stoppies, manuals, and playing around leaning the bike was just part of riding to a friend's house. Cornering, body position, weighting the outside peg/pedal also probably transferred from dirtbikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Volleyball. Not many skills carry over. But when Iím in good biking shape I do feel less tired at the end of a VB match.

mtbr member
    I have a Concept 2 rowing machine that I don't use often enough. Usually when the trails are wet or I need a day off the bike. Seems to help with upper body strength and helps with the slumped over bike back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadcmpr View Post
    Volleyball. Not many skills carry over. But when Iím in good biking shape I do feel less tired at the end of a VB match.
    Love volleyball. Used to have a sand court at my place with lights. Several of my friends back home have sand courts. The best team sport out there.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Singletrack gnarly woods riding on dirtbikes up until last year and street bike riding. Going from dirtbike to mtb on steep techy stuff really was natural just a little bit different. But picking lines and body position and reading a trail at speed all transfers. Weirdest part for me was having my feet staggered constantly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Professional Crastinator
    +1000!

Snowboarding, too.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    +1000!

Snowboarding, too.

-F
    I donít think that computes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Kite buggy in sand dunes is like having your own personal whislter to ride . The reacting to terrian is very similar to riding unknown tech track.
    Kite... buggy? Holy $#!+, TIL. I want to try that and the landboard. I didn't know those were things.

I always wondered what keeps a strong updraft from taking you into a cloud... after watching this video on the Internet once...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills

Basketball and Golf. Other than cardio no transferable skills.
    Last edited by j102; 06-11-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Is beer drinking considered a sport? It transfers nicely.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Love volleyball. Used to have a sand court at my place with lights. Several of my friends back home have sand courts. The best team sport out there.
    I do too! Haven't played in years though, maybe I should join a recreational league, they have some in my city.. if its nights it might work.

Soccer, but I pretty much gave it all up due to time restraints and now I just ride.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    I snowkite and snowboard more than half the year, MTB the rest. The nice thing about boosting with a kite is you can change directions and correct in the air, vs dirt jumping or jumps on a snowboard you better be lined up perfect at takeoff.

Where is your main riding spot? Ever go to IBX / NABX with the buggy and landboard?

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    I can't call it a sport, but I do Yoga. It helps me out a lot.
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Alpine and telemark skiing about 60 years: top level. Mountain biking about 6 years. Skiing transfers nicely in terms of dynamic balance and center of gravity. Some things don't transfer so well. You cannot clear a tree at speed simply by moving your inside hand. The damned handlebars are still out there. Being violently ripped from the bike at speed in trees does not work for old people. I had to back off, never could get it through my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    Being violently ripped from the bike at speed in trees does not work for old people. I had to back off, never could get it through my head.
    It doesnít work well for younger (30 years old) people either...

mtbr member
    Gran Turismo helps me imagine that I'm railing corners @ 150mph.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    Working...

Supports my passion.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Ballet.

Helps with motor coordination and wardrobe malfunction, I mean selection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggs1993 View Post
    Kite... buggy? Holy $#!+, TIL. I want to try that and the landboard. I didn't know those were things.

I always wondered what keeps a strong updraft from taking you into a cloud... after watching this video on the Internet once...
    Yep Buggy and landboard are a niche within a niche!. Cool if you havethe terrain to support them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    I snowkite and snowboard more than half the year, MTB the rest. The nice thing about boosting with a kite is you can change directions and correct in the air, vs dirt jumping or jumps on a snowboard you better be lined up perfect at takeoff.

Where is your main riding spot? Ever go to IBX / NABX with the buggy and landboard?
    I'm in NZ. Would love to go to nabx one day. But its logistically challenging

Cycologist
    I was at the beach a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy kite surfing. He made it look so easy, I only saw him fall once. There was a really good wind and he was really zipping along and getting a lot of air off the waves. Looked like a lot of fun but I'm sure it takes awhile before you're able to do much and seems like it would be stressful for a beginner trying to keep track of what you're doing on the board and keeping track of what you're doing with the kite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I was at the beach a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy kite surfing. He made it look so easy, I only saw him fall once. There was a really good wind and he was really zipping along and getting a lot of air off the waves. Looked like a lot of fun but I'm sure it takes awhile before you're able to do much and seems like it would be stressful for a beginner trying to keep track of what you're doing on the board and keeping track of what you're doing with the kite.
    When learning It's like 80 to 90 percent kite flying skills, 10 to 20 percent board skills.

Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post

My brother is a big time windsurfer / surfer / snowboarder. Heís just recently has taken up kite surfing. Years ago he had a land wind board [long board skateboard with windsurf sail] Iíve ridden it across parking lots, great fun but not so much if you crash.

mtbr member
    My brother is a big time windsurfer / surfer / snowboarder. Heís just recently has taken up kite surfing. Years ago he had a land wind board [long board skateboard with windsurf sail] Iíve ridden it across parking lots, great fun but not so much if you crash.
    Yeah water then snow are the most forgiving, I don't land board much anymore cause it really sucks when you crash.

Snow Dog
    Hockey is my other sport. Have played all my life. Goalie first, then (thanks to the influence of Wendel Clark) right wing. Cardio; leg strength; upper body; balance...and the lack of fear of pain, all transfer.

I also ride BMX.

I play golf...or more correctly, I hit the ball around and cuss a lot. What I do could not really be construed as playing...

I also do yoga as some have mentioned. I really like the isometric qualities of yoga, and the Zen side too.
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Yeah, it does take a while to learn, Probably a good year to go from pleb to punting average jumps. Maybe 2 years to punt BIG jumps.

The advantage of being in the water is if you crash you just splash down typically with no injury. Also when its hot in summer exersizing in the water is refreshing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Snowboard, autocross and rallycross. Main skill that transfer between all those disciplines is look where you want to go. Coming from cycling, already have a good feel for line choice in cornering for auto. Physical skill not so much, the muscles used and balance is so different between all of these. One skill I need to remember to transfer to rallyX is to breathe. A lot of times on a really demanding course, I'll finish and realize I was almost holding my breath through it and will finish winded and burning. If I consciously engage deeper breathing it helps.

9 lives
    When I responded to that post in 2013, I was doing yoga, which I found helped with flexibility, core strength and balance. I was still recovering from cancer treatments and it was an excellent accompaniment to mtb and dh.

I've been doing crossfit since 2014 which has helped me gain strength. I've participated in the regional crossfit games for the past 3 years and my results show a strong steady progression and personal bests (This year I did 4/5 events prescribed). I did very well in my age group

I started running 2 years ago to enhance my cardio. I manage to squeeze in 30 to 40km/week (in addition to mtb and crossfit) I've been training to participate in a marathon.

Last summer I learned to ride a dirt bike for the first time. It was an incredible experience. My mtb bike skills came in handy and my core strength was also an asset.

I'm always looking to try experience new activities. I have my sights set on surfing .... mmmm maybe next year for my birthday
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    My strategy, raising 2 boys, was to stay at least 2 sports ahead of them. That way, I was able to accumulate more gear and at least for a while, be better than them at something! That lasted until they were about 17 or 18. By then, they were pretty much better than me at everything.
    Racquetball, tennis, surfing, motocross - in my younger years - whitewater kayaking, rock climbing (spent a summer in Yosemite as a college kid waiting tables to feed THAT habit), mountaineering, ice climbing, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking and telemark skiing have been my main interests (and flying, but that was a job for the last 40 years), but I'm mainly down to rock climbing (poorly) kayaking (though I like to stay 4-/3+ or easier!) mountain biking and telemark skiing. Telemark skiing, especially bump skiing (and powder days in the Wasatch, of course), really has become my primary passion. More so even than mountain biking (which is number 2 on my list). Being permanently unemployed, I can get 80 to 100 days a season in and it's great, though at almost 66, I don't expect I have many more years of that left. Besides, 4 advil, 3 times a day is probably not good....anyone have an extra kidney they'd like to donate?...I did try parachuting once, but that was because my airplane blew up....gave up on that as entertainment, though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    My strategy, raising 2 boys, was to stay at least 2 sports ahead of them. That way, I was able to accumulate more gear and at least for a while, be better than them at something! That lasted until they were about 17 or 18. By then, they were pretty much better than me at everything.
    Racquetball, tennis, surfing, motocross - in my younger years - whitewater kayaking, rock climbing (spent a summer in Yosemite as a college kid waiting tables to feed THAT habit), mountaineering, ice climbing, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking and telemark skiing have been my main interests (and flying, but that was a job for the last 40 years), but I'm mainly down to rock climbing (poorly) kayaking (though I like to stay 4-/3+ or easier!) mountain biking and telemark skiing. Telemark skiing, especially bump skiing (and powder days in the Wasatch, of course), really has become my primary passion. More so even than mountain biking (which is number 2 on my list). Being permanently unemployed, I can get 80 to 100 days a season in and it's great, though at almost 66, I don't expect I have many more years of that left. Besides, 4 advil, 3 times a day is probably not good....anyone have an extra kidney they'd like to donate?...I did try parachuting once, but that was because my airplane blew up....gave up on that as entertainment, though!
    Sounds like you have lived man. Awesome!
    My kids are 9, 11 and 14. I'm still better than them...... at most things.... except flipping on a trampline or reading small print. They then kick my arse! The gap is closing faster than i would like though!

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    A life I strive for right there. You won't need that extra kidney though, I've been eating 800mg of motrin 2-3 times a day for 20 years and I'm healthy as a horse. The VA and the Army hand that crap out like it's candy.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    All the obvious connections between skiing and biking. Kayaking because the conditions for one dove tail in to the conditions of the other...basic posture lessons of not leaning back apply.

Wrestling and now BJJ my primary "Other" sport. Yes, it develops a lot of core and grip strength. It also develops incredible mental toughness. When I am out to push myself on the bike, the internal dialogue when the going gets tough is pretty easy to win on the bike. A couple few times a week submission fighting Black Belts and Brown Belts that outweigh me by 50 pounds, and endless rounds with 21 year olds really lets you explore how deep into exhaustion you can go. How much pain you can endure, how much you *really* need O2.
    The physical and mental durability Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu require really do make life and MTBing less intimidating. The well of pain and suffering is deep, and I always have those endless hours of simulated fights to the death to draw on as a water mark of just how much more I can give before I'm really on empty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-bjj2.jpg  

What other sports do you do? what are the transferable skills-bjj5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    When I lived in Colorado, I did a ton of climbing, snowshoeing, snowboarding, backcountry snowboarding, distance hiking, trail running, and mountain biking,

When I returned to Arkansas, it became mainly trailrunning and flyfishing (not really a sport, hah). Still spend a lot of time in a kayak on lakes as well fishing. Then our trails started getting really developed, so I started MTB, and that's dominated my life for the last few years, especially as my youngest son has gotten into it as well.

I work out pretty much daily pretty intensely (CrossFit style metcons, but not dumb) and also do spin classes to keep cardio. All of that transfers well to the bike. I don't have the crazy distance cycling endurance of some of my buddies who can go out and do 100 mile days on the bike, but my cardio is solid enough that I can keep up with most people on ascents for 20+ mile rides. The weight training side of working out definitely helps in injury prevention when wrecking as well (at 45, wrecks always suck, though).

My son wrestles and has started showing some interest in LaX, which isn't big in our area but they're starting a club. Wrestling definitely has helped him with mental toughness, general conditioning, and not being afraid to throw his body around. He also climbs some, as his best friend is a great climber (he's at divisionals in ABQ this weekend).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    All the obvious connections between skiing and biking. Kayaking because the conditions for one dove tail in to the conditions of the other...basic posture lessons of not leaning back apply.

Wrestling and now BJJ my primary "Other" sport. Yes, it develops a lot of core and grip strength. It also develops incredible mental toughness. When I am out to push myself on the bike, the internal dialogue when the going gets tough is pretty easy to win on the bike. A couple few times a week submission fighting Black Belts and Brown Belts that outweigh me by 50 pounds, and endless rounds with 21 year olds really lets you explore how deep into exhaustion you can go. How much pain you can endure, how much you *really* need O2.
    The physical and mental durability Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu require really do make life and MTBing less intimidating. The well of pain and suffering is deep, and I always have those endless hours of simulated fights to the death to draw on as a water mark of just how much more I can give before I'm really on empty.
    I was heavily into Martial arts in my teenage years. Achieved first dan black belt. I agree the mental fortitude that martail arts brings is excellent. Also one of the best cross over skills has been learning how break fall and "ninja roll". I've lost cout of the times I have crashed of my bike and automatically busted out a ninja roll to zero injury. It has saved my arse sooooo many times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Skier as well, or at least the best skiing I can get in the Midwest. I also kayak on lakes and calmer rivers. There isn't much whitewater in Northern Indiana either.

I don't think there is much crossover skill wise. All three sports require a certain level of fitness and core strength. I think skiing and mountain biking compliment each other well when it comes to picking lines, carving turns, and perception of airtime and speed.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Hockey is my other sport. Have played all my life. Goalie first, then (thanks to the influence of Wendel Clark) right wing. Cardio; leg strength; upper body; balance...and the lack of fear of pain, all transfer.

I also ride BMX.

I play golf...or more correctly, I hit the ball around and cuss a lot. What I do could not really be construed as playing...

I also do yoga as some have mentioned. I really like the isometric qualities of yoga, and the Zen side too.
    I've wanted to get back into hockey for 6-7 years now, but haven't found anyone with an open roster. My dad played goalie, and I could easily inherit his gear, but I've only ever played goalie once or twice before...I'm much more comfortable playing up.

I try to golf once or twice a year, usually scrambles with either church or work groups...

My wife is a yoga assistant at a local studio, so time permitting, I like to attend the evening community classes with her.

Time permitting is a huge thing... I've got a weird (but regular) work schedule that doesn't allow for a lot of group bike rides, or even other sorts of recreational leagues. So, I spend a lot of time on my road bike and with my (large) collection of longboards.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Also one of the best cross over skills has been learning how break fall and "ninja roll". I've lost cout of the times I have crashed of my bike and automatically busted out a ninja roll to zero injury. It has saved my arse sooooo many times.
    The first skills I taught my son. How to fall. How to roll. I've watched it save him from sketchy moments as well. He also has a pretty tight double leg, arm bar from the mount and back mount and finds the Kill the Lion Choke instantly once he get's on your back. I hope he never needs to use those to save his butt, but I'm glad they are in there.