mtbr member
    Jan 2019

New question here. What makes a Cannondale Bike a "1st Edition"?

Recently, i started getting into biking as it is beyond amazing for your health and overall well being, as well as a rather enjoyable form of exercise. the bike i am using, a 1994 Cannondale Killer V 900, has gotten much praise from a few of my friends who i bike with. a common question they asked me (as i didnt know the year when they asked only the model) was "Is it a 1st Edition"? I of course didn't know. and so I need help, identifying if my Killer V 900 is a 1st edition and im curious how to identify 1st edition bikes in general, as im unsure if it is different than, for instance, how to identify 1st edition books. thanks!
    (also posted thread in beginner's corner, still new around here)

mtbr member
    They probably mean the first generation of the model. I have never heard of someone referring to the first edition of a bike. You should be able to figure out what model and year you have by going thru old catalogs on this website Cannondale Catalogs | VintageCannondale.com
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Sneaker man
    Yeah also never heard og a "1st edition"... unless it was a bike maybe that had limited runs and were signified as editions.
    Maybe be better to ask in the vintage/retro/classic section of the site.

Normally bikes are referred to by year model rather than edition. If you get a bike thats kinda famous/popular then they might get separated in versions or era's due to changes made that are significant or identifiable (eg GT Xizang, you had 1990, Canadian made, 91-21 Ubrake, 93-95 canti guide, then post 95 canti hanger). ANd then bikes that are super significant will be called by any major detail. (eg a John Tomac Raleigh can be called a Tomac Merlin or a Tomac Litespeed depending if its the first 30 or so made Merlin or that latter 40 odd made by Litespeed.)

But a Killer V, its just model year... unless it not a killer v, but just a small Mxxx frame, then it's still just model year.
    All the gear and no idea.