mbtr member

What happened to bash rings?

It's like i'm the only one on the trail nowadays with a bash ring on my bikes. It's so weird; my long-low bike tags the bash ring semi-frequently on stuff i just pedal through. Attempting challenging log-overs is a lot more fun and less worrisome when i know a mistake won't ruin my chain. They don't weigh squat, they help locate your chain in the tall gears, and they're cheap. They're not even unattractive!

...and yet most cranksets don't even have a provision for mounting them. What gives? Are they just a victim of the crabwalk of progress? Is everyone riding flow trails?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

since 4/10/2009
    Iscg mounts and taco bash guards.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    We use our pedals now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I have them mounted to my bottom brackets.

https://mrpbike.com/products/xcg

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Iscg mounts and taco bash guards.

This. I've beat the crap outta my blackspire and they just keep talking it.

mtbr member
    Since going 1X many drivetrain iterations ago, I haven't felt the need to run one. I have smacked my ring good a couple times since getting the long wb bike though.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I haven't come across bash rings in some time. Unless maybe it's a DH bike. Some look like they extend pretty far down. You might hit in spots where you might not hit if you didn't have one. There just isn't too many things to bash a bash guard on in my area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

What happened to bash rings?

1x happened. So now everyone uses bashguards (either iscg tab or front dee mounts) instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ipe
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The answer of iscg tabs is the current solution. I've got an iscg bash guard on my trail bike now.
    The funny idea part is my new (last year) Norco fat bike didn't come with them and that is a huge PITA. There are still rocks here in the winter and I really, really wish the bike had the tabs. Because it doesn't I need to find a solution like a bash ring. The problem with that is the crankset is a cheap no-name (Samox?) with a direct mount chainring and an unknown mounting interface standard. I don't want to spend the $$$ on a new crankset right now. Like I said, it's a PITA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    IBIS Mojo 3
    Norco Ithaqua 2s

NEMBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
    The answer of iscg tabs is the current solution. I've got an iscg bash guard on my trail bike now.
    The funny idea part is my new (last year) Norco fat bike didn't come with them and that is a huge PITA. There are still rocks here in the winter and I really, really wish the bike had the tabs. Because it doesn't I need to find a solution like a bash ring. The problem with that is the crankset is a cheap no-name (Samox?) with a direct mount chainring and an unknown mounting interface standard. I don't want to spend the $$$ on a new crankset right now. Like I said, it's a PITA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Thereís a bb mounted bashguard, but Iím not sure of compatibility.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Chains only last ~500 miles and chainrings only ~1000... Both wear out before my bashing is an issue. If my technique is correct I don't hit them at all, but of course that isn't always the case.

mtbr member
    What happened to bash guards... for me... going down to a single 32t chain ring. I never really hit my big ring often to begin with, so going to a single smaller chain ring pretty much negated the need for a bash ring. Now, my pedals... yeah, they need bash guards.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Bash guard is a must have around here. My Kona has ISCG mount so I bought one of these as soon as the bike showed up...What happened to bash rings?-img_0320.jpg
    I hit it multiple times every ride on rocks, logs, etc. With newer bikes and 1X they all use N/W chainrings and everything is more expensive.

A buddy just got a new YT Jeffsy 29 which does not have ISCG mounts...the 27.5 model does (WTF?). We're trying to figure out cheapest option to get something protect his chainring.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I asked Kona when i bought my process about this, and they said that they don't recommend using their ISCG mount for a bash guard. They said that if anything happens to the frame due to an ISCG mounted bash guard, it won't be covered by their warranty.

It's one of the reason why i'm still on the fence about installing it on my process
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    I asked Kona when i bought my process about this, and they said that they don't recommend using their ISCG mount for a bash guard. They said that if anything happens to the frame due to an ISCG mounted bash guard, it won't be covered by their warranty.

It's one of the reason why i'm still on the fence about installing it on my process
    Lolwut. So what is the iscg mount for then, a chainguide?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    chainrings only [last] ~1000....
    For real?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    What happened to bash guards... for me... going down to a single 32t chain ring. I never really hit my big ring often to begin with, so going to a single smaller chain ring pretty much negated the need for a bash ring. Now, my pedals... yeah, they need bash guards.
    Bingo! Thatís what happened to bash guards. Not really needed once the industry went to one or two rings up front.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    My 32t bashring has some nasty gouges in it. Glad those rock hits happened to my $12 BBG bash ring instead of my $40 chainring. And that I haven't had to take a long walk back because of a broken chainring

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    For real?
    Yup. Been through ~8,000 miles on X1 and GX drivetrains in the last four or five years and that number has been fairly consistent. Worth noting though, I replace chains a fair bit before I really need to and replace chainrings the first time they drop a chain.

I believe they have all fallen within:

Chains: 350-500 miles
    Chainrings: 850-1100 miles
    Cassettes: 1800-2200 miles
    Derailleurs: Every time they find a nice stick or rock and want a closer look.
    Shifters: Never.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Since going 1X many drivetrain iterations ago, I haven't felt the need to run one. I have smacked my ring good a couple times since getting the long wb bike though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Chains only last ~500 miles and chainrings only ~1000... Both wear out before my bashing is an issue. If my technique is correct I don't hit them at all, but of course that isn't always the case.
    Met a guy who hit his fancy 1x chainring on a log - not a rock - a log, and folded it over. He wasn't an overly big guy, though he may have been hauling ass. Immediate hike-a-bike and mandatory time off the bike until you can obtain a new ring. With all the spline interfaces available nowadays, you might not be able to find the one you need in stock right away.

I won't build a mtb without some sort of bash guard. If a company puts iscg mounts on a frame, and then tells me that an iscg mounted bash guard voids the warranty, then f*ck them. Guess I'm not buying a Kona anytime soon.

Pro Crastinator
    i still use them. i also still run 2x setups as well...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

So before that discussion you were in the process?

Makes sense though. A big hit to the bash guard and that force is sent directly to the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Lolwut. So what is the iscg mount for then, a chainguide?
    ...yes. They're not designed to absorb impacts.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    ...yes. They're not designed to absorb impacts.
    Plenty of manufacturers don't have a problem with it.

mbtr member

Maybe so, but the taco bash came long after the chainguide. If iscg tabs were intended for tacos they wouldn't be what they are.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

always licking the glass

Havenít heard anyone say that theyíve broken a frame hitting a taco bash either.

Iíd be interested to see if anyone has heard that.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Havenít heard anyone say that theyíve broken a frame hitting a taco bash either.

Iíd be interested to see if anyone has heard that.
    I've smacked my 32T MRP bash guard but never hard enough to cause frame breakage. If I hit it hard enough to break my frame then I'd best be examining my riding technique, i.e., more finesse needed.

since 4/10/2009
    That's why most taco bashes are plastic on the "business end" anyway.

mtbr member

I'm sure they would gladly replace your frame if you whack it trying to clear a rock wall WITHOUT a bash installed.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

All fat, all the time.
    Pretty much a non issue (hitting a bash so hard you break the frame).

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I run a bash ring on my 2X but not the 1X 28T.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

turtles make me hot
    Funny. I just installed one today because it gave a more finished look on the bike I was building. I put a 64 bcd ring on a Trailcraft crankset for my nephew today and I also had a bash guard that bolts to the 104 bcd. It looks better and it will keep his leg off the chain.

I also have one on one of my fat bikes. Surly OD cranks. The 28 goes on the inner and again, the bash fits on the outer and gives it a very finished appearance. My other fatty and my Krampus both do not have bash guards and I haven't ruined any rings yet.
    Come to think of it, the last twenty or so bikes I've built have had 1x11 or 1x12 with single direct mount rings.
    I like turtles