what do you think other people think mountain biking is ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what do you think other people think mountain biking is ?

I just moved to a new area. When ever i tell somebody i enjoy mountain biking, alot of them tell me about these stupid paved trails along green belts. (For all you bay area readers, Im talking about Crystal Springs off skyline) Now i dont expect people to help me find trails or anything like that, but i cant help but wonder what most peoples impression of what this sport is.... Do they really think people get all excited for saturday so they can ride on pavement going 8 mph for like 30 minutes ? lol.

AZ
    banned
    As long as they ride. That is all.

mtbr member
    nothing is wrong with doing that. i hope when im 70+ i can handle at least that lol. my threads suck

Your Best Friend
    I think most people I see and talk to feel it is too expensive to get into and regardless, they are too fat or out of shape to really try (in their minds).
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

AZ
    banned
    Everyone's perception of what mountain biking is different, to some it is riding the rail trails, others enjoy D.H. etc. Ask 10 people and I bet you get 10 different answers. Just get them riding, they find their own level of participation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just remember mountain biking is not for everybody.As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water,but you can't make them drink."
    Like my sister once told me: "Talk to people who like what you like".
    And there it is.
    And here we are.
    Talk to the tribe.

mtbr member
    I understand what your saying but its kinda sad when people take absolutely no interest in at least hearing a little bit about other people's interests, especially family. Those people are the same people who expect you to listen to them go on about their interests. Of course am most definitely aware that you can choose your friends but not your family.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You could call IMBA and ask them to send you a mailing like the one I got recently.It said among other things that more people in the U.S. enjoy mountain biking thanTHE ENTIRE POPULATION of the country of Canada !!
    Yeah...
    I was shocked too !!

Pale Rider
    Try explaining what a dirt bike enduro, harescramble, hare and hound, etc. is.

Everybody thinks the only way to ride a dirt bike is doing crazy flips and MX/SX.

We usually kinda get blank looks and "Oooo, racing through trees must be dangerous". "Uhhhh, not nearly as dangerous as jumping 100 feet with 25' vertical in 4th gear pinned, and trying to land THAT 100% of the time." That's usually where I leave it.

With MTB'ing I usually get "That sounds like fun" or "You must be in great shape to do that." Kind of a broad mix when I talk about night riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i think its ability to be able to hit that dirt and not fall off

not everyone has amazing trails around that they can test there bike out on

a lot of people like me would only few spots were there is dirt too have a bit of fun with mtb

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Most people assume rail trails/dirt roads.

I didn't do it
    Around my area I think most people have a somewhat general notion that mountain biking means trailriding. Although one person I know thought it means bike touring/camping.

However some people, perhaps many people, think mountain biking means adrenaline fueled maniacs blasting down the trail at breakneck speed tearing up everything in sight. This can have a real impact on us as a whole because this perception only serves to energize the anti mountain bike folks to lobby for less bike access. It's an easy stereotype to throw out there to garner support for restrictive legislation.

mtb enthusiast
    When I tell freinds/family that my entry-level HT cost $1,100 they can't believe it. Aside from running, I think MTBing is a fairly reasonably priced fitness hobby.

Ride Instigator
    A lot of people see mountain biking as being DANGEROUS...it's as dangerous as you want to make it I always say. And...it's a whole lot safer then road biking with cars wizzing by you/turning in front of you....generally trying to kill you because they don't like sharing "their space" with you.

Just Trying to Get Better
    Seems like everyone I talk to either thinks mountain biking is gravel path or DH type stuff. This is of course right after they sarcastically say, "Mountain biking?...but we don't live in Colorado."

Arrrrrrgggghhh.

Dirt Huffer
    I stopped telling people I mt. bike.

I got too many idiots recommending gravel double track trails to me.

I told one guy I race at a ski hill and he was shocked that we road bikes on it let alone raced. One black chick freaked out when I told her about mt. biking and asked "WHY YOU WANNA DO DAT?" "YOU ONE OF THEM CRAZY WHITE BOYS"

Save yourself the and dont even bring it up. There are local forums to network with likeminded ppl.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I have felt the attitude that mtn biking is like recreational skiing or something:
    Load up the car-
    Drive to the locale with shades and tunes on-
    Unpack, get suited and booted, clip in and ride-
    Do it again next weekend or month.

I kinda get miffed when people think my time is spent on some little novelty: un-unique, predictable and simple.

To me my bike is a fantastic machine that turns days and nights into trips away from overly-conscious thought, long resting heart rates, bipedalism, social living and any other uniquely human traits of civility.

I romp my local loops alone, pushing my mindset to a place of focu s and feeling ... Since nobody else sees it and people who don't ride never feel it, it is no wonder the majority of people don't understand it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Mountain Biking

Most people I talk to either think of what you are talking about or BMX kids. Not enough exposure I guess. When you get to more outdoor style cities they are more familar...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbqm9 View Post
    Seems like everyone I talk to either thinks mountain biking is gravel path or DH type stuff.
    That's basically all I hear too. Only think of the 2 extremes of riding. Riding on dirt single-track with trees, rocks, hills and roots never crosses their mind. Don't even know it exists. I've learned not to bring up riding in conversation.

I used to get excited when someone I'd meet would mention that they mountain biked. I'd then find out that they were thinking of riding paved rail trails and that a 2 mile ride was a long ride for them.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

banned
    Most people hear mountain biker and think of some Mt. Dew swilling, trail skidding, downhilling huckster trouble maker. Thank Dog none of them post in General.

I like mtn biking, too
    Some people think mountain biking is the same thing as riding motorized dirt bikes on trails, which is not a great selling point for allowing mountain bikes on trails.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    My friends in my hall have all seen all four of my bikes at one point, so they get the general idea of road vs. mtb'ing. I can't wait to see their faces when they see I've got a fifth bike when we all move back into the dorm after break Some people just don't understand N+1.....

Actually, my first mtb race was hosted by my school, and I also crashed in that race. So they all saw me walking back up to my room, covered in dust and bleeding from my leg and arm. I think they mostly understand how different mountain biking is from road riding, at any rate.

To the OP: I was just riding on the Crystal Springs path yesterday. But I was on my road bike, and I was only riding along it because it's a safe way to get from my house to Canada Road. If you know the quarry in Pacifica, I ride through there too. But I take my road bike on the dirt path, instead of the paved path. I still want to know what people are thinking when they see me blasting by on my road bike, bunny-hopping over rocks and curbs and whatnot.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Hermit
    I swear, in my area (northeast Ohio) most people who aren't into the sport automatically assume that I ride a MOTORCYCLE when I say that I mountainbike. Even though we have an active club out of Cleveland - and there are trails in several of the state parks - they assume I'm talking about riding a moto in the woods. I've even had some recreational managers ask for clarification when it's come up.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Live 2 Ride
    I believe most people around here think mountain biking is riding a Walmart bike around town. I see very few people riding a name brand bike. I see even fewer people riding a high end name brand bike.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I know my friends all think mtb'ing is a stupidly expensive sport that I crash a lot in...

mtbr member
    The people I know who don't ride think its just an excuse for some of their friends to get together in the outdoors and drink some beer. They're mostly right.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    I had no idea that we had MTB Trails...I was just looking for a pond I had heard about,
    I came across some trails in the woods in the park,and thought wow !!! I then started
    thinking how much fun it would be to ride "Through the woods" on some trails...

I had no idea how technical it was,all those damn roots everywhere!!!
    All those tight turns...I thought it was gonna be nothing but beginner loop green trails.

I was completlely shocked by my first trip to LBS....I thought I get something decent
    for $400 or so...29ers WTF????? Bikes have disc brakes now...????
    Shocks HUH?

It's all about the FSR!
    When I tell someone that I ride, I usually get them replying back that they got a cool mountain bike at Wal-Mart and it cost them $100 but they don't ride it much. Then I get asked how much my bike cost me. Then the awkwardness begins. Not sure how to tell them that I paid over 2k for my Stumpjumper. They cannot fathom that. Why would I do that when I can get the same thing like they have. The conversation usually ends there.

Those who show a genuine interest in it, they get to see the pics and videos on my phone.

In all reality, I don't think most people understand what it is we do, or why we do it. I try to explain to them the best that I can about the rush, the sense of accomplishment, and let's face it, the workout that you can get while riding.

Live 2 Ride
    What's even worse is trying to explain to a family member why mountain bikes costs so much and why the sport costs so much.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    What's even worse is trying to explain to a family member why mountain bikes costs so much and why the sport costs so much.
    If they drive a nice, newer car/SUV there's your retort right there.

mtbr member
    I feel like too many of my friends/family think that when i mtn bike, im going for a casual ride through the woods, like "rails to trails" but through some trees.... this is why i need a GoPro or similar.

and yes, i always get the "you paid WHAT for your bike!!??"

Live 2 Ride
    Anyone ever get this: "WHY do you need disc brakes?" when your discussing buying a new bike?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Then I get asked how much my bike cost me.
    "Which bike?"

Ride More, Work Less
    For the majority of people, the urban bike trails or rails to trails are a godsend. In fact, I would hope even the most hardcore mountain biker would recommend them to people as a place to ride since not every ride is (or should be) the ultimate mtb experience. And if your city is like mine, while we do have the witch from Oz riding her dog on the paved trails, you will also see very skilled cyclists out for basic fitness.

In case you didn't know, Google Maps now has a "bicycling" layer you can show on a map. If this is where you are talking about, you are lucky. Enjoy the riding potential!

Crystal Springs near Skyline Boulevard, CA - Google Maps

Chubby Chaser
    I once told a guy I ride mountain bikes and he mistaken it for dirt bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Most of my non-riding co-workers think mountain biking is the Red Bull Rampage stuff, and therefor would never try it. I blame this on the media, which did the same thing with windsurfing (it couldn't be real windsurfing unless you have mast-high waves and 25+ knots) and snowboarding (all park or pipe riding). When a sport is shown as "extreme", it only appeals to the "extreme" segment of the population. With so many trails in the US under threat of closure to biking, it would be better for our sport to include more people instead of excluding more. I know it's cheesy, but the Michelob commercial with Lance Armstrong showing a social event on some mellow gravel roads does a better job enticing the masses than a Red Bull commercial does.

mtbr member
    Welcome to my world! My wife actually got mad when we were discussing the merits of getting a decent 24" bike for my 7 yr old and he told her "WalMart bikes suck!" She looked right at me and said "You told him to say that!"

Professional Crastinator
    I'm in NE OH, too.

At least 10 years ago I made a bunch of helmet cam videos from around Ohio, including Vulture's Knob, and also at Snowshoe. I showed them to friends and relatives.
    I got 3 different responses:
    1) MTBers said "Cool trails! Looks like fun!"
    2) Non-bikers said "You seen one tree, you seen 'em all. Oh look... another tree..."
    3) "Nice wreck. Rewind that."

In the interim, every time we asked the parks for MTB trails they said "There are plenty of bike trails already in the park" referring to greenways and pavement. Part of that crew thought we were all Mt. Dew swilling adrenaline junkies.

We FINALLY got some singletrack trails in Cleveland. The non-bikers who have visited them were like "Hey, it looks just like a hiking trail." So that tiny minority that made the effort to come over and check out MTBing understands that MTBing is not all jumps and drops, but they have no concept of the variety of terrain or riding styles that MTBers call "fun", or why we go to PA to ride through giant boulder piles. They also have no idea what it takes to build an actual MTB trail to make it fun for most, but still safe.

It's one of only a few sports that you really don't have to be good at to have fun with it, and you can still have as much fun for a modest investment in gear as someone who spends a lot more.

Even my own M&D, who have known me my entire life still don't fully grasp what a good ride is all about, even when I take my 6 yo along and she tells them how much fun she had. They just ask if I broke anything (really, my 30+ -year biking record is pretty clean but for an ankle and a collar bone and a finger - and the ankle was while I was off the bike, and the collar bone was in the front yard! ).

So I'm convinced that people outside the sport will never really understand the sport. I would give someone a lot of credit if they tried it and then decided that they hated it.

This was our effort to explain it (click on video): Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association

-F

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I'm in NE OH, too.

At least 10 years ago I made a bunch of helmet cam videos from around Ohio, including Vulture's Knob, and also at Snowshoe. I showed them to friends and relatives.
    I got 3 different responses:
    1) MTBers said "Cool trails! Looks like fun!"
    2) Non-bikers said "You seen one tree, you seen 'em all. Oh look... another tree..."
    3) "Nice wreck. Rewind that."
    Don't kid yourself. MTBers said, "Nice wreck. Rewind that" too.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Don't kid yourself. MTBers said, "Nice wreck. Rewind that" too.
    Yeah, that response was not unique to any one group.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    When I tell someone that I ride, I usually get them replying back that they got a cool mountain bike at Wal-Mart and it cost them $100 but they don't ride it much. Then I get asked how much my bike cost me. Then the awkwardness begins. Not sure how to tell them that I paid over 2k for my Stumpjumper. They cannot fathom that. Why would I do that when I can get the same thing like they have. The conversation usually ends there.
    That's a good time to go with the dollars spent per mile argument. Then your well-ridden Stumpjumper becomes a bargain compared to that WalMart dust collector.

Live 2 Ride
    That's a good time to go with the dollars spent per mile argument. Then your well-ridden Stumpjumper becomes a bargain compared to that WalMart rust collector.
    Fixed that for you. Most the people I know leave their bikes outside.

see me rollin, they hatin
    according to my mom, its idiotic

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    according to my mom, its idiotic
    According to my dad, it's an addiction.

To my friends, it's a alien thing to ride all year long, even during snow storms.

To my brother, it's a way of life.

To me, it's pretty much all of the above
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    The only thing Americans can keep in conversation about is Football, Basketball, how much a new pair of Jordan's cost, or what their coworker was doing in the cubicle next to them. It's pretty pathetic.

The average joe has no clue, truly what mountain biking is. My coworkers just talk about football pick-em's, or XBox games 24/7. That's all that's programmed into their grey matter.
    That, or what **** they brought home from the club.

I'd say the vast majority of people, in general, aren't anywhere near in shape enough to get out and actually ENJOY true single-track mountain bike riding. The reason they can't enjoy it is because they don't have the cardiovascular stamina, and they're afraid of crashing.
    America's so hell bent on getting hurt in any way shape or form that they have the "Sheeple" of this country thinking you gotta wear a bubble wrap suit to do anything more than walk to your car, or get a cup of coffee.

Quite frankly... I love being part of a niche sport. It keeps the trails I ride nicer, and keeps the bafoons inside watching their sunday-night fat-so-session on the couch.

Keep it that way, I'm content.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Truthfully this sport/hobby is not that expensive. Planes? Boats? Title 2 firearms? Cars? All those are much more expensive than MTB'ing. Heck my kids can spend more money traveling to fencing competitions than I do on MTB'ing each year.

Just saying.
    Nobody cares...........

see me rollin, they hatin
    i dont blame anyone for fear of getting hurt. thats totally valid. it can be a dangerous sport, so it know its not going to be for everybody . i mean I have a pretty healthy fear of injury, so i dont put myself in crazy situations. i totally realize that i'm going to get cut and bruised, but thats no biggie. But i understand the fear part.

what i dont understand is laziness. well i DO understand it, but i think its something people need to force themselves out of. i used to be lazier, but when you're finally in shape, the laziness goes away and you NEED to move!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ride the urban trail (sounds like some of you call it a green belt or something similar) through neighborhoods to get out to the trails. I often wonder if the people I pass think I get all geared up to shred the urban trail all day.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by cm374 View Post
    I ride the urban trail (sounds like some of you call it a green belt or something similar) through neighborhoods to get out to the trails. I often wonder if the people I pass think I get all geared up to shred the urban trail all day.
    Probably. I have the same feeling too when I go to the mountain by riding popular bike path... At least on the way back, it's easier to see the real thing since my bike and I are covered up in mud
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post

The average joe has no clue, truly what mountain biking is. .... snip

I'd say the vast majority of people, in general, aren't anywhere near in shape enough to get out and actually ENJOY true single-track mountain bike riding.
    A couple of days ago my son and I cruise down to the Post Office here in the valley. On the way home we stop at Taco Smell for a snack. I'm waiting outside and a TB employee comes out. She is 40 something, maybe 5 5, and 200# plus. She asks in a semi condescending voice if we went on 'a little bike ride'. I say its 10 miles. I don't remember exactly but she says something like 'I could knock that out in a heart beat' and then proceeds to light a cigarette. On the inside, I'm going - OK!

Riding 10 miles on pavement with maybe 200 feet total elevation change is not a major feat but lets be realistic here. The average Joes perception of bike riding is a little jaded.

Beer is my spirit animal
    More likely that level of exertion would knock the beat out of her heart.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    The only thing Americans can keep in conversation about is Football, Basketball, how much a new pair of Jordan's cost, or what their coworker was doing in the cubicle next to them. It's pretty pathetic.

The average joe has no clue, truly what mountain biking is. My coworkers just talk about football pick-em's, or XBox games 24/7. That's all that's programmed into their grey matter.
    That, or what **** they brought home from the club.

I'd say the vast majority of people, in general, aren't anywhere near in shape enough to get out and actually ENJOY true single-track mountain bike riding. The reason they can't enjoy it is because they don't have the cardiovascular stamina, and they're afraid of crashing.
    America's so hell bent on getting hurt in any way shape or form that they have the "Sheeple" of this country thinking you gotta wear a bubble wrap suit to do anything more than walk to your car, or get a cup of coffee.

Quite frankly... I love being part of a niche sport. It keeps the trails I ride nicer, and keeps the bafoons inside watching their sunday-night fat-so-session on the couch.

Keep it that way, I'm content.
    this post very sad and 100% true. i love being different.

i work in san francisco

they say the 9ers game
    i say skeggs point

when i lived in boise...

they say BSU

i say foot hills =)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Been riding my whole life, but mountain biking for less than a year.

Before I started mountain biking I thought it was a relatively low speed, skill-based, high-intensity, blast-in-the-woods kind of riding. This opinion hasn't changed much since I bought my first mountain bike and got into it.

I still find however that I need to road bike regularly and in hilly areas to keep my leg strength and cardio endurance.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I've seen three categories of people:

1. People who think MTB'ing is riding Wally bikes on gravel and dirt, at about 5-6mph.
    2. People who think MTB'ing is big-air stunt riding.
    3. People who know the $$ bikes are out there, but either tell me, "You can buy a CAR for that much!" or "Oh, you're one of those FANATIC riders." Both of them follow that with, "I could never do that!"

My sister's husband thinks I need to grow up (he's 62, I'm 52); about a dozen people who know me are still surprised that I'm riding after breaking a couple bones over the last three years.

At one time or another, I've told them all I'm gonna ride past their funeral processions.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    From experience, my expectation of what people think mountain biking is varies depending on location. In California the general public(in my experience) at least has a clue in the right direction. Other places, no. The further away they are from something with angle and at least 200 ft. elevation change the lower the likelyhood of a clue. No matter where you are, if they don't ride, they pretty much have no idea where a good ride is to be found if left to their own devices. You pretty much need to get them to picture what you want to ride and hope they can lead you to a general area where there's something worthwhile. I've found bike shops to be helpful in clueless populace areas.

I've gotten everthing from the paved path, to a dirt road, to the dirt bike for misconceptions. The dirt bike is the easiest to fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    I've seen three categories of people:

1. People who think MTB'ing is riding Wally bikes on gravel and dirt, at about 5-6mph.
    2. People who think MTB'ing is big-air stunt riding.
    3. People who know the $$ bikes are out there, but either tell me, "You can buy a CAR for that much!" or "Oh, you're one of those FANATIC riders." Both of them follow that with, "I could never do that!"

My sister's husband thinks I need to grow up (he's 62, I'm 52); about a dozen people who know me are still surprised that I'm riding after breaking a couple bones over the last three years.

At one time or another, I've told them all I'm gonna ride past their funeral processions.
    I love the fact that you're a cheeky old fella and I can relate to people thinking I need to grow up.

I'm still a teen and everybody at my work are just a bunch of bogans who think i'm strange because instead of playing boring ball sports and binge drinking I rather travel and ride trails with my mates.

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    I'm still a teen and everybody at my work are just a bunch of bogans who think i'm strange because instead of playing boring ball sports and binge drinking I rather travel and ride trails with my mates.

I'm guessing you are gonna turn out all right!

mtb enthusiast
    My wife thinks its dangerous as I usually come home with some new abrasion. Now, she doesn't even say anything. Neither do I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Somebody asked me one time if my Camel-bak hose was for oxygen...

I told them yes it makes me ride faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post

I'm 52....

Same here... Mid 50's and still keeping active.

A good indication of the benefit is when I go to my MD for an annual physical (really because I want a blood test to check cholesterol level). For years now, he says: 'You are 5x?, you are in better shape than many people I see half your age.'

My blood pressure is still 110/70, no perscrips, etc.

Pedal ON guys!

BTW: My MD is a late thirties guy that is an avid mountain biker with many cool pictures of him in action on the walls of the office.

Jonesin'
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    Somebody asked me one time if my Camel-bak hose was for oxygen...

I told them yes it makes me ride faster.

I just tell them its for booze.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.
    2017 SC 5010

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mountain bike.

Mountain bike.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Or mebbe this....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    People always ask me if my road bike is my "race" bike, and my mountain bikes are "fun" bikes. I respond by saying that I race mountain bikes and plan to race road bikes too. I then tell them that, yes, the mountain bikes are the fun bikes, and the road bikes are instruments of pain and torture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    In my area I feel silly saying mountain biking. I once had a person laugh at me when I said I like to mountain bike. Thier reply was there are no mountains in my area. True, it is just good hills. Now, I say trail riding and they understand what I am talking about. When people think of what moutain biking is, probably regional thougths of what it is.

mtbr member
    Never really thought about it. Don't really care. I live by what I think, not other people.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    In austin people think we are spandexed trail nerds, in columbus ohio not sure more than 8 people know what singletrack is, friends that don't ride think it's an automatic trip to the ER.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

It's about showing up.
    We rode road and dirt in the early 80s. The local Trails Council had an identity but it was not well-known. In 2002 I started a mountain bike team at El Cerrito high and of the 3 men who got things going I was the person who knew anything about mountain biking. There weren't a lot of us in the area, certainly not in any coordinated fashion. Over time the presence of this team and my development of the team in Albany has created a very visual presence of mountain biking to the public.

When you talk to people about mountain biking or the high school teams, very often they will say that they have seen us in our "uniforms" riding together through the town or in the local Canyon. I developed a program at the local YMCA and it has broadcast its presence throughout the community over the last five years.

I guess my point is that in our area people think very differently about mountain biking than they used to; they have come to see it as a discipline and not just something wild or stupid.
    It takes a lot of work to make that happen and a lot of time. Just riding around the trails doesn't do it.
    I don't rattle.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I guess my point is that in our area people think very differently about mountain biking than they used to; they have come to see it as a discipline and not just something wild or stupid.
    Although I see it has a discipline too, going wild and stupid is also part of the sport

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Although I see it has a discipline too, going wild and stupid is also part of the sport

I guess you can say that tongue-in-cheek, I get it, but I doubt you mean it literally. Wild and stupid is definitely not a part of my goals for the sport. In my years of starting riders and training them one learns that those qualities need not be a part of great riders.

Wild and stupid is just wild and stupid. Such behavior fills ERs and supplies haters with ammo in the Board Rooms of trail management organizations. Power, skill, and consideration don't come from wild and stupid. Well trained riders go to the edge of the envelope like anyone but do it better, break fewer things and leave other riders off the back.

The days of learning by trial and error are waning.
    I don't rattle.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I guess you can say that tongue-in-cheek, I get it, but I doubt you mean it literally.
    You're right sir

Off course I was joking here. It's not like I was posting this in the "WTF MTB IS ??" forum