What do you prefer ?- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride !

What do you prefer ?

Buying a complete assembled bike from a LBS ?or taking some time and building your own masterpiece with components you want = saving a bit ?
    I myself prefer the custom/ build yourself because its fun. Plus the over all fit and satisfaction .
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Depends if you have the time and money I say go the route of building up your own masterpiece. For most though you can get a pretty good deal on a complete bike from an LBS. May not have all the components on it you may want but you can always swap them out for something else once they wear out. This is also a lower cost route to go.
    My last bike was a complete custom built Rip 9. I really enjoyed picking out all of the components and watching it come together!

Underskilled
    Masterpiece for me, catalogue bike for the wife (albeit a 1500 catalogue bike)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Starting with my 3rd bike, I've built up my own. More expensive, but oh so much fun.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

canuck
    both

well since I get ep, it helps to get a complete.

building a bike is fun and awesome, but I don't mind a fully built bike either it's always so much cheaper too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I could never go back to buying a stock bike.
    It's just too much fun to pick out the components and build it myself.
    It might be more expensive, but it is way more satisfying.

Token Hillbilly
    My preference is to buy a cheaper bike with a great frame and then upgrade from there. That way you get to witness and experience the evolution.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Big Boy
    I would build up, but there are a few areas I am still not comfortable doing myself. Such as wheelbuilding and installing a headset. Thats about it though.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    i prefer buying a complete bike and making a couple upgrades here and there. i'm not that picky so it works out well for me.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Granny Gear Abuser
    I bought a cheap complete bike to "learn" with. As I have progressed I have upgraded pieces to make a more competent bike. As for what I would like to do, I would have to say buy the pieces separately and put them together on my own time when and where I can. Of course, seeking help from my favorite LBS and this forum.
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by C.M.S
    Buying a complete assembled bike from a LBS ?or taking some time and building your own masterpiece with components you want = saving a bit ?
    I myself prefer the custom/ build yourself because its fun. Plus the over all fit and satisfaction .
    I generally don't like the 1 size fits all mentality of stock, mass-produced bikes that are outfitted with components by someone who doesn't even know me..... but if you find a good "starting point", it makes sense.

So I have searched out leftover models and very good, used bikes near to what I want and made smart upgrades.

You generally will not "save a bit" building your own masterpiece unless you a VERY careful shopper and/or buy used (or get a shop discount).
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Members who have read this thread: 0