Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,329 of 1329
    jcd's best friend
    I used to be a US Air Force jet engine mechanic on F-15C and C-17A aircraft. The military gave me full retirement at 34 and now I am now a senior in college pursuing my technical writing degree.

I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate. I just want to stay retired, but my wife says I need to work. I told her I wanted to be a bike mechanic and fix bikes all day but she said no. In my world, no means yes so I will poke around the bike shops to see who will want to hire me
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    I am both permanently unemployed and unemployable.
    I believe the term is "retired"!

Snow Dog
    I am a band director/percussion instructor. Teach middle (3 middle school programs) and high school kids. Also play in bands. Teach private lessons on drums and bass guitar. I get paid to play drums all day!!

Also a professional nerd...

[QUOTE=Battery;13831778] I used to be a US Air Force jet engine mechanic on F-15C and C-17A aircraft. The military gave me full retirement at 34 and now I am now a senior in college pursuing my technical writing degree. [\QUOTE]

1. thanks for your service!!!

2. you are soooo lucky that you set it up to do what you are doing...retire from the "official" job early, and then do what you want/can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate. I just want to stay retired, but my wife says I need to work. I told her I wanted to be a bike mechanic and fix bikes all day but she said no. In my world, no means yes so I will poke around the bike shops to see who will want to hire me
    3. This is freaking hilarious. I love this mentality. I also live in this world, and it took my wife about 4 years to realize that it wasn't changing. It also took me 4 years to live in her world of leaving clutter everywhere....sacrifices
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post

3. This is freaking hilarious. I love this mentality. I also live in this world, and it took my wife about 4 years to realize that it wasn't changing. It also took me 4 years to live in her world of leaving clutter everywhere....sacrifices
    Thanks! My wife hasn't grasped the concept that I am very stubborn and will end up doing what's on my mind regardless what she thinks. Don't get me wrong. I love her to death because she is very independent too. I think my shenanigans is making her age faster. Seeing she won't let me do the N+1 rule for bikes, I end up getting a new bike more often after selling my old one.

Music & Bikes
    Technical director / soundman in a downtown theater around here for the last 5 years.

Was playing bass the 25 years before that.
    So being a musician , often broke , I also worked as a Bike mechanic at a younger age
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Technical director / soundman in a downtown theater around here for the last 5 years.

Was playing bass the 25 years before that.
    So being a musician , often broke , I also worked as a Bike mechanic at a younger age
    broke musician here as well, and also play bass!!!

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Co Springs
    Healthcare system facilities mgmt.

Title/Credential as Power Plant Operator III / Stationary Engineer
    Basic job is power plant operations involving boilers, chillers, generator power, cooling towers and related monitoring / maint.

I also default to being the "hall monitor" for most other things related to B.A.S. (building automated systems) and stuff like patient room temps, OR temps, HVAC issues, medical freezers, refig, ovens etc...
    Mostly monitoring as observe and report but sometimes being the 'wrench' to go fix or solve.

This gig has been keeping me company for 18 years now, second career after nearly 20 yrs in sales / marketing. I'm just about 57 years old.
    My work schedule allows me time to help with grandkids a day or two on weekdays and weekday biking when trails are usually peaceful.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I work for a company that catches birds inside of stores. I work in the Operations side of the company.

One ring to mash them all
    Saw this pic, thought of this thread:

What do you do for a living?-0vh80s9o6dp11.jpg

Keep on rockin'.
    You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Saw this pic, thought of this thread:

Keep on rockin'.
    Lol. Oh, man- been there, done that! Many times.
    You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
    Khizr Khan

Music & Bikes
    Musician :
    Someone who loads 5000$ of gear in a 500$ car to drive 100 miles to a 50$ gig ...... to pay his 9000$ bike

Corrected it for you
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I used to be a US Air Force jet engine mechanic on F-15C and C-17A aircraft. The military gave me full retirement at 34 and now I am now a senior in college pursuing my technical writing degree.

That must have been a cush job. I read that airplane mechanics are paid well, and I would think that being a military jet engine tech would get you a sweet gig in the private sector. Why did you retire?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    That must have been a cush job. I read that airplane mechanics are paid well, and I would think that being a military jet engine tech would get you a sweet gig in the private sector. Why did you retire?

Believe me, it wasn't. We had to support 2 wars at the same time. We worked 12-hour shifts nonstop to keep up with the pace. Most of my friends (including myself) got out of the Air Force with high disability ratings due to all of this excessive work. Things calmed down during my final 2 years in the Air Force.

I opted to not pursue a civilian job in jet engines because my body is shot to hell. I've lost a lot of grip strength. I have a ton of back problems. Most of my joints hurt. I've spent the last 4 years working with the VA to help with most of my medical issues. I have to see a massage therapist monthly to help with my back and the rest of my body. I don't sleep well at night because I hurt all over.

I retired at 15 years because the Obama administration wanted to cut costs in military spending because both wars were practically over. The Air Force offered the TERA program in 2014 and I was selected for full retirement benefits at age 34.

I'm very lucky that I can ride my road bike and mountain bike for exercise without it becoming a huge hassle. It's my outlet that I use to deal with 15 years of stress, loss, and other problems. So far, I've lost close to 25 lbs in weight since June. Much of this weight loss came from road cycling. When I jump on a bike, I feel like I still have a purpose despite all that I lost over 15 years.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight. I knew being an aircraft mechanic was a physical job but I wasn't aware of how physically demanding it was and how much wear and tear is done to your body working on big complex engines.

The maintenance schedule interval on military jets must be a lot shorter than civilian jets. And the pressure to do a 100% job must have added a mental toll since other people depended on you to have the machines in top mechanical condition.

Good to hear that you're still able to ride!
    Believe me, it wasn't. We had to support 2 wars at the same time. We worked 12-hour shifts nonstop to keep up with the pace. Most of my friends (including myself) got out of the Air Force with high disability ratings due to all of this excessive work. Things calmed down during my final 2 years in the Air Force.

I opted to not pursue a civilian job in jet engines because my body is shot to hell. I've lost a lot of grip strength. I have a ton of back problems. Most of my joints hurt. I've spent the last 4 years working with the VA to help with most of my medical issues. I have to see a massage therapist monthly to help with my back and the rest of my body. I don't sleep well at night because I hurt all over.

I retired at 15 years because the Obama administration wanted to cut costs in military spending because both wars were practically over. The Air Force offered the TERA program in 2014 and I was selected for full retirement benefits at age 34.

I'm very lucky that I can ride my road bike and mountain bike for exercise without it becoming a huge hassle. It's my outlet that I use to deal with 15 years of stress, loss, and other problems. So far, I've lost close to 25 lbs in weight since June. Much of this weight loss came from road cycling. When I jump on a bike, I feel like I still have a purpose despite all that I lost over 15 years.

Cycologist

Thanks for your service and sacrifices, Battery. Hope your new career goes well, whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I knew being an aircraft mechanic was a physical job but I wasn't aware of how physically demanding it was and how much wear and tear is done to your body working on big complex engines.

The maintenance schedule interval on military jets must be a lot shorter than civilian jets. And the pressure to do a 100% job must have added a mental toll since other people depended on you to have the machines in top mechanical condition.

Good to hear that you're still able to ride!

Funny about maintenance schedule intervals. Our C17s have been through a lot since 1988. These 2 wars have aged them considerably fast and yet they still fly strong. We do hangar our planes for big home station check projects (overhaul and inspections) but we hire civilians to do all of that work. At my last base, most of the active duty worked on the flight line to keep the planes in the air. I can't count how many times I've had to fix a plane in just a couple of hours so it can meet it's mission window. I've had to stress out my maintenance teams on night shift to get a plane fixed so we can send it on a mission in the morning.

I have to hand it to Pratt & Whitney toward the end of my career. They fixed so many little things on our engines that I had absolutely nothing to do for almost 2 years of my career. The engines just stopped breaking for little things! It was great for me but bad for my replacements. They had no real world experience fixing this stuff and we had to use our dummy engine to teach them how to remove and reinstall engine parts. I was one of the last guys in my shop who truly knew how to remove an engine from the wing of a plane and reinstall a new one within 8 hours. After I retired, our replacements were on their own. It was unfortunate, but I'm sure they are doing just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Thanks for your service and sacrifices, Battery. Hope your new career goes well, whatever it is.
    You are welcome and thanks for listening to me

mtbr member
    I cuddle with strippers and give them self assurance between pole dances

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

+

For sure.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Pinehurst NC
    CCRN for a 450 bed hospital, clinical practice for a 10 bed Cardio-Thoracic ICU, recovering immediate post-op open heart surgery patients.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    I work now at a small engineering company. I'm the Piping Department manager. We do layouts to set equipment and route the piping to and from things in different facilities. Power plants, refineries, chemical plants that kinda stuff.
    I am also a to old to do it anymore firefighter/EMT - Ex-Fire Chief. Local politics, bad back (surgery), bad knee (replacement) and just having enough of the BS. I moved to the side and watch from distance now. I jump in to help people when I see them having issues on the street or those I come across but I'm not doing the runs for a while now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am an Aircraft Inspector. I have been working on T-45s as a civilian contractor since 2001.
    What do you do for a living?-mcdonnell-douglas-boeing-t45-goshawk_9.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Test Driver/Development Engineer for tire company.
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur X01 Reserve
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 C
    2016 Look 695 Aerolite

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    I am an Aircraft Inspector. I have been working on T-45s as a civilian contractor since 2001.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcdonnell-douglas-boeing-t45-goshawk_9.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1220075
    sweet....what kind of missions do those planes fly? Have never heard of those

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Software Engineer

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Paramedic.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Web Applications Developer and Serial Entrepreneur failure
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Data science professor.
    Last edited by MarcusBrody; 10-12-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

What do you do for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Hi There!
    I re-design my company's infrastructure to bring it up to current wind loading standards.
    NTFTC

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314