Poll: What is the motivating factor when you make a purchase?

Wanna ride bikes?

What determines how you spend your money?

We all have our wants/needs, our priorities, our values, etc. There are more easily accessible shopping options now than ever before. More manufacturers are selling direct, and online retailers are everywhere.

How many of you only support brands you approve of, wether it's a complete bike or components? What is the driving factor when you make a purchase?
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 1 Week Ago at 07:31 PM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

the discerning hooligan
    This year I only plan to buy bikes that are at least 50 years old and cost less than $50. Didn't really see a category like that on the survey.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Interplanetary Poultry
    What motivates my purchases. . . hmmmm. . . .
    well. . . .does it look enough like what it's replacing that my wife won't notice (bike parts)? Is it on sale? Does it look good (apparel)? Obviously, I'm going to look for quality products that offer a good value and will improve some aspect of my ride. I'm not afraid to spend extra money to support certain brands, or to buy a product that will perform better than a cheaper alternative. I can't think of any brand that I won't buy due to any sort of ethical concerns. I do try to avoid neon colored apparel, as well as jerseys that make me look like a billboard.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    This year I only plan to buy bikes that are at least 50 years old and cost less than $50. Didn't really see a category like that on the survey.
    LMAO, normally I'd call BS but I've been enjoying watching your recent projects! Whatever you're doing it's working. Just keep sharing the stoke!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    The thickness of my wallet to disposable income to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    I look for a good deal when it can be found, but sometimes I bite the bullet to get what I want.

I do have one big purchase coming up, depending on other dealings.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

slow
    Price. Brand, warranty, etc don't matter because I rarely buy anything bike related brand new. I tend to favor somewhat unique setups on my bikes, so finding something that is exactly what I want is rare. I usually end up piecing things together.

Curiosity drives some purchases: When I see a good deal I buy it to try it and if I don't like it I sell it off again.

I don't find myself shopping around to save a few bucks, but rather buy things that are deals I stumble upon. Some are things I don't get around to using for a while, but it is nice to have spare parts in backup to limit bike downtime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    When the old stuff breaks and can't be fixed no mo

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    My answer is #2 AND #5 (partially).

I support my LBS whenever I can, but only if they have the best or one of the best quality products I am hunting down at the moment.

Thankfully, my LBS has, or has access to, pretty much every single thing I am hunting for. A rare exception occurred this weekend when I went on a Fasthouse frenzy.

I donít really care about warranties. My LBS will take care of me if something shits the bed, regardless of warranty.

Thatís what loyalty buys you. That, plus a minimum of 25 points off everything, free servicing and frequent pre or post ride tweaks, and zero waiting for anything. Plus lifelong friendships and all of this for my daughter over her riding lifetime as well.

This year my LBS will be celebrating its 62nd year in business. I am proud to say that I have been part of the last 25.

since 4/10/2009
    All of the above?

Every purchase decision I make involves considering all of those questions (among others). On the balance sheet, the option I choose is going to vary from case to case.

Always in the wrong gear
    I chose #4
    "Price is my primary concern. I shop around and find the best deal going regardless of where I find it."

I'll purchase from my LBS when I can, (oil, lube, small parts) but most of the stuff I buy is used or 'take-off' from one of the FB trade groups I'm in, or from eBay, here, or PinkBike.
    Most of my bike is "I needed/wanted something else, so this isn't needed anymore"

Let's be real. That's the only way I could afford the Hadley hubs, carbon hoops, carbon handlebar or the basically new Manitou Magnum Pro fork on my bike.

My budget is much more in the 'Shimano SLX and OEM alloy' tier.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Professional Crastinator
    None of the poll options is valid for me.
    I am motivated by products that meet my specifications, regardless of where I find them. Most times the LBS does not have them, but most times I can find them online. So while I often buy online, it is because of availability, not loyalty to or disdain of any products (except Nuke Proof )

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I donít see ďwifeĒ as a poll option.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Barely in control
    I have a list of things I want, but I enjoy what I have. When I see a mind blowing awesome deal on what I want, I buy it. This keeps things sporty. And whenever I look at my shiney new toy, I think, Man I got that for a steal! Which adds to the enjoyment. It's kind of a game. If you just buy the things you want you miss out on a lot because no matter how rich you are, hedonic adaption will bite you in the butt.

mtbr member
    I prefer to do everything myself so I don't have the need for a bike shop. I buy all bikes on-line. In my experience shops are more expensive, don't always do good work and never have anything in XL for me to try anyway. I've always found everything I need on-line at a better price and it gets delivered to my door.

As for brand, I rarely go for the most expensive option but sometimes it's what I need. My focus is on well built bang for the buck components and I base my decisions on previous experience and input of others. There's typically more than one brand to choose from but sometimes my research gets it down to a specific brand/model.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I buy what I break, wherever I am and whenever I break it.

Candlestick Maker
    I'd say I shop online almost exclusively.

That being said, I tend to buy higher quality stuff now than I used to. This boils down to 2 things:
    1 - I have more disposable income
    2 - I'd rather buy something high quality once, rather than buy lower quality stuff to be replaced more regularly or buy whatever I should have purchased the first time
    baker

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I donít see ďwifeĒ as a poll option.

A lot more mail order brides in the USA than you may think lol.

And no I don't have one.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

2x is underrated
    This just happened to me yesterday: last week I brought my aluminum hardtail in to the LBS for a very modest crankset upgrade. They found the frame badly cracked inside, between the bottom bracket and one of the chainstays.

So...what to do? Go expensive or go cheap? Buy a whole new bike, buy a nicer frame, or buy a cheap frame? Since my wheels are still QR, they recommended getting another cheap aluminum frame for $100-200 and then they'll put the crankset and fork on, I do the rest. Sounds simple enough.

I really tried hard to find an aluminum frame online. I really did. A ton of 26 and 29 dropout frames out there. Not so many 27.5's. E-bay didn't have enough info. on the frames to trust them. A lot of the rest started at $700 (for aluminum? wtf...). Chain Reaction Cycles had one for $130, 68 degree head tube, can fit a 2.4 in back, good reviews, OK, looking good. Get out my credit card...click on purchase...$70 shipping fee. So $200 total.

I can buy an Amazon.com Chinese Toray 800 carbon fiber 27.5 frame for $340 with free shipping. $140 more for a 2 lb weight reduction and stiffer frame. Is that a good rationalization? I clicked buy. This will be quite an experiment to see if this frame holds up where I ride. I love mashing through rock gardens and it appears to have taken its toll on an aluminum frame. We'll see how long this carbon frame lasts. If it lasts, that $340 spent is worth every penny, but time will tell.

Update: the frame is NOT cracked. The other frame already shipped today so it will stay in my garage for a while. The chain fell off many times on the current frame and got caught between the 1st chainring and chainstay, gouged the chainstay maybe 5mm deep. It's not even 15% of the way through. They just used that as an excuse not to work on a QR bike. They said it was cracked all the way through, there is no crack at all, there is chain scrape on the side of the frame. Just tell me that up front, that you don't want to work on cheaper bikes, don't make up some BS that my frame is cracked when it's not. I'll go elsewhere for the crankset swap.
    Last edited by richj8990; 1 Week Ago at 05:04 PM.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Nat
    mtbr member
    When it comes to bike purchases, I shop mostly by emotion. "That [item] is awesome! I NEED it!"

I'll buy it from an LBS if they have it but if none of them have it I'll buy online.

When I compare online vendors I look for whoever has the best price and can get it to me quickly. I'm accustomed to 2-day delivery. I also look for whichever vendors have a decent return policy (e.g., Backcountry, REI) and avoid those who have a shitty return policy (e.g., Universal Cycles).

No eBay.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    When it comes to bike purchases, I shop mostly by emotion. "That [item] is awesome! I NEED it!"

I'll buy it from an LBS if they have it but if none of them have it I'll buy online.

When I compare online vendors I look for whoever has the best price and can get it to me quickly. I'm accustomed to 2-day delivery. I also look for whichever vendors have a decent return policy (e.g., Backcountry, REI) and avoid those who have a shitty return policy (e.g., Universal Cycles).

No eBay.
    Interesting. You have a different mix of online preferences compared to mine. In case anyone couldn't tell I much prefer to buy at LBS. In most cases they can get me the same stuff, at the same or better price as online, and often in the same amount of time. If your a good customer (and it's a decent bike shop) you'll receive far more in customer service value than you'll pay. Also lots of warranty claims need to go through an authorized dealer and I'm really good at breaking stuff.

Not to mention being part of the cycling community and supporting local business. There's good people involved and I've made many connections because of the MTB community that has it's core at local bike shops, trail crews, and advocacy groups.

I'm not afraid of an eBay deal from time to time, depending on the item. I've bought a bunch of used stuff there. At least there's some accountability.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Nat
    mtbr member
    Trust me, I share the love with the lbs (multiple) plenty. I value customer service but if the only place to get a specific item is online then thatís where I go.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Trust me, I share the love with the lbs (multiple) plenty. I value customer service but if the only place to get a specific item is online then thatís where I go.
    Understood. If there's a smokin deal on a closeout item, I'm all for a great deal.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I just buy online. Most of the stuff on my bikes my LBS does not stock anyways. Last thing I bought from a bike shop was some ZEE brake pads. They had to be ordered...took a week to get there...and I had to drive back down to pick it up. I could have just ordered online...paid less...and have it inmy mailbox in two days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    If I want something, I'll buy it from one of 3 LBS'. If none of them can supply it, chances are it's a direct from manufacturer type thing. I have a list of manufacturers/people I wont buy from (9/10 they are on the list because I don't like the people running the company or the person themselves).

Rarely buy from an online reseller

mtbr member
    Kind of a tough poll for me... I answered what I think I do most often. But honestly, I've done all of the above.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

the discerning hooligan
    Because I've been building a lot of vintage stuff most of my parts come from Craigslist or auction, but I expect more and more of the 26er/ 9 speed ( insert any older standard here) holdouts will be going that way too. The better NOS is starting to get harder to find.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    At this current budgetary stage of my life, I don't have the flow to purchase a complete from the LBS. I buy from locals or online and do a fair share of my wrenching. I frequent a couple shops around town when I need generic items that will always be in stock, need some wrenching done for which I've not the tool or when I need some discussion to help me figure something out. For example, shock work goes to the LBS,chase and face...LBS. So, I guess I'm a mix of 1,2 and 4.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Understood. If there's a smokin deal on a closeout item, I'm all for a great deal.
    It's hard to pass up a great deal but I also am very particular in what I buy. I rarely walk into a store thinking that I'll buy whichever brand they have of a certain item. Most of the time I know exactly what I want before I enter a store. If an LBS has it then I'll buy it but some items aren't available through any LBS because they don't have distribution through the stores' wholesalers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    For me it comes down to need. I just bought a Stans Flow rear wheel, nearly $400. The price haunts me, but I broke the 4yr old wheel again and had a hard time getting some hub parts so a whole new beauty shows up on the doorstep! Very excited to see if I can feel the 6mm of added rim width. 29mm looks so w-i-d-e next to 23, and it really changed the profile of the MTB Riddler I transfered over.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    I use my LBS for pretty much everything even tho they are 60 miles away. we have 2 close by but they suck. I use them because they have the brands I like, can get me anything I want or need and match or beat online prices and service is awesome, they drove all the way here to swap a shock for me on my Hightower at no charge and the bike was already out of the warranty period. They are great people and go above and beyond. so, they get all my business.
    " What do you want for yourself?"

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR/DL 29

mtbr member
    I search for best prices online for most biking-related needs. I'll patronize the locals for immediate concerns or smaller priced items.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

mtbr member
    Need, durability, quality and I prefer my LBS over ordering online even if it may a few dollars more.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    My previous LBS gouged me in service costs. They'd tell me one price, then after labor, they'll double or triple the price. I ended my relationship with them, and quite frankly, they're close to closing doors. Since then, I'm dealing with two other bike shops, one from which I bought a new bike this winter.

If price is fair and not marked up unreasonably, I'd like to support the LBSs.

EMBA Member
    For buying replacement items, I buy online because of price and convenience. That kind of stuff, I can install myself, usually.

If I am thinking of upgrading key components, I rely on the lbs guys. Their advice has been very valuable - they know if the great new thing the marketing machines are pushing is really better, and will tell me. They also know exactly how to order what is needed to do the job, and then install it better than I could myself, which is worth it to me.

Also, if there is something about my bike that is bugging me (the dropper post lever is the most recent example), I tell them and they either tell me that's the way it is, or they suggest how to improve the situation. In the dropper post example, they recommended an after market dropper post remote.

Huge improvement. Totally solved the issue I had. The droppers should all come with better remotes.

One example of many. Those guys have forgotten more bike stuff than I will ever know. It is totally worth what it costs when I am upgrading.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It's odd how it works out. Last year I probably spent $2000 in my preferred bike shop but this year I think I spent under $100. I find it easier to buy items online and install them myself. Most times my shop doesn't have the item in stock. I think the ideal role of the LBS is to make repairs. If I brake stuff, they can fix it. If I want a new dropper post, I can do that myself.