What chain lube for teflon-coated chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What chain lube for teflon-coated chain?

I have the IRD Black Lightning teflon-coated chain and have been using the liquid Tri-Flow, mainly becaise IRD recommends it due to the fact that Teflon is a bit particular about what oil can stick to it, or so I've read somewhere. The thing is the TRi-Flow tends to colect grime and dirt when I go on a dusty path. I'm in CA, so not much wet trails. I was thinking about a dry lube, maybe Tri-Flow wax lube or something. Is it true that dry lube doesn't cause a lot of dirt to stick to the chain?

Mar 2005
    Hmm, I've never heard of a teflon-coated chain. Well, with teflon-coated cables, the general advice is to not use any lube at all since it breaks the coating down and just gums up the housings.

Why not just use a regular chain? I don't see any advantage to teflon in that application.

Then you can use whatever condition-specific lube you need. Your riding conditions should drive what you lube your chain with, not what it's made out of.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers, Chris

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have a wipperman teflon coated chain, it appears to only be coated on the side plates and its wearing off quite quickly. I use finish line dry w/teflon in the dry season and finish line wet in winter.
    just a note about teflon, arent you not supposed to use metal utinsels on teflon pans? because they chip and scratch easily. seems like a poor application on a chain.

mtbr member
    I got the IRD chain to pair with the IRD teflon-coated cassette I have also. Main reason to get them is for their color, which is black and matches with the overall color scheme of my bike.

ps
    dano, that avatar always cracks me up!

group W bench member
    The reviews I had read turned me away from the ird chain, but if they spec triflow, I would stick with it.Wiping the excess should limit the grime build up. On convetional chains, I use prolink in dry conditions as its the cleanest lube I've found. Nothing looks hotter on a mtbike than a spotless drivetrain on an otherwise well worn and dirty bike.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I have a wipperman teflon coated chain, it appears to only be coated on the side plates and its wearing off quite quickly. I use finish line dry w/teflon in the dry season and finish line wet in winter.
    just a note about teflon, arent you not supposed to use metal utinsels on teflon pans? because they chip and scratch easily. seems like a poor application on a chain.
    I bought the 920 Wipperman too because it looked good on my bike but all the Blue sh!t wore off in a couple of weeks and I went back to my 7701. Plus I'm not sold on the width of the connector link as it wants to grab the gear beside it.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Djork, It's kind of hard to tell from the picture however, from the little I can see it looks like the connex connector on your wipperman chain is upside down.
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    lebikerboy, what's the connex connector and whipperman chain? Where is it upside down??????

Members who have read this thread: 1