What bike to buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What bike to buy?

I own a Major Jake CX and a FS bike and not doingbanybrealmtrailmriding due to my age.

Looking to sell the FS and get a lighter bike, with flat bars that would be good for rail trails, fire roads, etc.

What type of bike would suit me best?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would just use the major Jake for that. You can pretty easily switch it to flat bar as well and save little money over getting a new bike.

mtbr member
    Thought about that but wondering if itís worth it? New bar, brakes, shifter lever, might be expensive.

The Specialized Serrus x5 is Carbon with flat bars and that future shock technology, might be worth a look? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I suppose the question is what are you using the major Jake for? Are you racing cross with it? Are you just using it on the road? If it's the latter then it seems easier to just use that for both.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    i suppose the question is what are you using the major jake for? Are you racing cross with it? Are you just using it on the road? If it's the ladder then it seems easier to just use that for both.
    What bike to buy?-werner-step-ladders-nxt1a06-64_1000.jpg
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    how old are you? 90? no excuses!

you need to be more specific about what you want to do and why those bikes are not working for you.

What don't you you like about the Major Jake? if the frame size is correct for you, you should be able to make it more capable and comfortable with some simple changes. how large of a tire can you fit in there? is it fitted for you like a cyclocross race bike? that can be changed easily.

What makes the FS bike unsuitable for what you're doing? if it feels heavy and sluggish, you can make a massive change by just putting some lighter, more supple tires on it. you probably don't need heavy, thick, aggressively knobby tires for the kind of riding you're doing. a more upright position could be easily achieved with a change of handlebar.

whether you're buying a new bike or changing your current bike, look into "bikepacking" bikes. It's hard to see what's going on under all the gear, but if you look at photos of bikes that are used in the Tour Divide, that should give you an idea. you could easily sell both your bikes and buy something like that.

wildcard idea: 29+ hardtail like a Salsa Deadwood, if you can still find one. that bike was not very popular for some reason and Salsa was blowing them out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	werner-step-ladders-nxt1a06-64_1000.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1343873
    That's what I get for using speech to text without looking!

...fixed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Thought about that but wondering if itís worth it? New bar, brakes, shifter lever, might be expensive.

The Specialized Serrus x5 is Carbon with flat bars and that future shock technology, might be worth a look? Thanks

If coin is of no concern, then buy the Spec. That's a very nice flat-bar option.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    If coin is of no concern, then buy the Spec. That's a very nice flat-bar option.
    Warped mentality since Iím thinking my FS should sell for enough to purchase the Spec and better to have 2 bikes than just one!

mtbr member
    Actually Iím mistaken, itís a Private Jake and Iíve just been using it on a paved Greenway and thinking it might be good on my back to have a flat bar bike as well?

mtbr member
    Good one, no mercy ❗️

mtbr member
    a bike with a drop bar should be no more or less comfortable than a bike with a flat bar, IF it is set up correctly. the drop bar has nothing to do with back pain unless it is set up with the handlebar too low or too far in front of you. when I see people on drop-bar bikes, it's very common to have them set up in what appears to be a too long, too low position. I don't stop to ask them, but these folks are bent over in awkward positions that sure do look painful. that's just a poorly set up bike, not a feature of all drop-bar bikes.

mtbr member
    Truth, here it is! Iím 70 snd have a GG Trail Pistol 27.5 with lots of tubeless rubber snd the bouncing on the trails kills my arms, shoulders and back after mtn biking at Carvins Cove. I also get tired pushing that thing up the hill so I was thinking Iíd retire from the mountains for the most part and stick to Greenways and rail trails, trips with the wife to ride, etc. Also, had a few falls on the trail and losing my nerve and really donít want to break any bones at this age even though Iím in decent shape.

I have looked at Salsaís, the bikes and know they are awesome bikes but Iím thinking a more upright position would be nice for a Change but a Hardtail might be too heavy and not great if I wanted to ride the Greenway in a more upright position.

Not sure what would suit be best, other than perhaps some therapy❗️

mtbr member
    Thatís a good point, I guess I need to be checked out by a decent bike shop! Iím thinking my tires are 35ís and I might be better off going to 40ís to get more suspension?