What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?

Curious what everyone carries with them on the bike when they go riding, and what all you leave in the car?

mtbr member
    Tube, water snacks, windbreaker, tools go with me. The car's spare tire, jack and booster seat stay.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pufferjumper View Post
    Curious what everyone carries with them on the bike when they go riding, and what all you leave in the car?
    The only thing I leave in my car is a change of clothes, and maybe a cooler with some cold drinks. But usually I go somewhere post-ride to eat/drink, so I don't usually bring a cooler.

There are plenty of threads already about what gear people carry on themselves/their bike during their ride, and some broken down into specific riding scenarios (races vs. evening rides vs. all day epics, vs. backcountry riding, etc).

Elitest thrill junkie
    I leave my wallet and cell phone in the car, I put my keys under the tire. People are basically good and no one would ever dare break into my car. Plus, it's not really a big deal if someone gets a hold of my wallet, ID, address and credit cards. If I have anything else good in there, I make sure it's in view.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    most of my rides start and end from my driveway, so I just leave everything I don't need at home. but if I drive to a different trail:

in the car:
    • additional water bottle. fill an insulated bottle with ice water and it's usually still cold when I get back. some sort of electrolyte drink for post-ride is also a good idea if it's really hot. post-ride snacks too.

• beach towel for changing clothes—hide under the towel while you change out of your sweaty shorts so no Karens see your private parts and call the cops.

• all wallet contents except ID and one credit card. I should start taking my health insurance info on the bike as well.

• floor pump. nice to have to perfect tire pressure right before the ride or help another rider who forgot theirs.

• clean clothes, deodorant, sunblock. I don't like driving more than a short distance in dirty, gross clothes. Texas summer sweat is no joke. dust turns to mud when it hits your body.

on the bike:
    • aside from bike fixing stuff, water, and a snack for longer rides, I would NEVER leave my cell phone! in the event of an injury, mine or someone else, that could be my only lifeline.

mtbr member
    Spare tube, Co2, tire levers & multi-tool go with me and my floor pump, extra water, clothes and weed stay in the car.
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    ...weed stay in the car.
    no wonder there's so many trailhead breakins everywhere.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I leave my wallet and cell phone in the car, I put my keys under the tire. People are basically good and no one would ever dare break into my car. Plus, it's not really a big deal if someone gets a hold of my wallet, ID, address and credit cards. If I have anything else good in there, I make sure it's in view.
    Good to know. That was your Maserati parked at the trailhead the other day, right?
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Spare tube, Co2, tire levers & multi-tool go with me and my floor pump, extra water, clothes and weed stay in the car.
    I guess no safety breaks , eh?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Yeah:
    CO2/tube
    Multitool
    Levers
    Cigarettes
    Con-domes

Nay:
    Booze
    Recyclable grocery bags
    Outerwear
    Helmet
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I guess no safety breaks , eh?

No breaks but sometimes pre and/or post ride safety meetings are mandatory
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Gun
    Portable air conditioner
    Weed
    Penthouse forum
    Onion dip

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Car: a pump for when I drop my pressures to 15 psi on accident, extra water, extra snacks, shuttle driver, maybe a towel when it’s muddy?

On me: helmet, clothes (t-shirt and basketball shorts), bike, water bottle, maybe a clif bar

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    In the car-Ice chest, floor pump, food, my bike bag that has everything I could ever need (tools, chain lube, shock pump, change of riding clothes, after ride clothes, more tubes, CO2, bike snacks, rain coat, sweater, stans, spare gloves, spare socks, sun block, air pressure gage)

long ride-tube, co2, multi tool, mini leather min, tubeless plug kit, small first aid kit, quite a bit of food, pump, phone, truck key, Kleenex, mini chain lube, water, tire levers.

Short ride- water, co2, plug kit, mulit tool, phone

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    With me (short rides) in a small Camelbak - water, tube, mini-pump, tire lever, multi tool, chain tool, keys, phone, sunglasses . Left in car - chain lube, floor pump and whatever t-shirt and shoes I wore to drive to the ride.

Long rides - bigger pack, add food and chain lube. Spring/fall - add jacket that is convertible to a vest.

I'm too OCD to ride even a short ride without the bare necessities to prevent having to walk out. Amazed how many people I see riding without the items necessary to do the basic trail-side repairs.

mtbr member
    I'll typically bungee on a 6-pack to the bars. A few chunks of bacon. A bowl of pudding. A good rifle. Some ammo. An ice axe and crampons.

In the truck I'll have a few head of cattle. Often a keg too. And definitely BBQ sauce.

I can't believe that nobody's ever brought up this subject before on here.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Ruger LC9

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I'll typically bungee on a 6-pack to the bars. A few chunks of bacon. A bowl of pudding. A good rifle. Some ammo. An ice axe and crampons.

In the truck I'll have a few head of cattle. Often a keg too. And definitely BBQ sauce.

Where's the smoker? Geez! The bears must love you out on the trail, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Ruger LC9

You didn't answer the question completely. Do you carry it with you or do you leave it in the car?

Elitest thrill junkie

I know, right!?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Ruger LC9

And a few practice targets

What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?-99068128_10102167702913184_7876812799291162624_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I bring pretty much what others bring, more in the backcountry, less in the parks. However, being 72 at this point, I cannot ride or ski all day so, when I'm alone, I often bring a paperback SF novel and will spend a little time reading in the shade. Couldn't find a much better place than, say, the benches above Lake Hennessy, the picnic tables at Lake Marie, etc. I even do this skiing. One day, I fell asleep at Forest Lake in Lassen NP and woke up with the sun real near the horizon (caldera rim).
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The bears must love you out on the trail, though.
    That's what the rifle is for. How else to you expect me to get some bear grease for my creaking headset?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by pufferjumper View Post
    Depends on the length of the ride. Some rides require more than others.

3 hours - Tube, pump, multi-tool, patch kit, phone
    What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?-0529200613a.jpg

3 days - Same as above + food, water, shelter
    What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?-0316191100a.jpg

mtbr member
    You didn't answer the question completely. Do you carry it with you or do you leave it in the car?
    EDC.

The extra ammo is in the car.

since 4/10/2009
    That's what the rifle is for. How else to you expect me to get some bear grease for my creaking headset?
    I suppose leaving bacon in the car will generate unpleasant results, so you might as well take it with you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I never leave anything in my truck. If you do there is a real good chance sooner or later you will get ripped off.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I never leave anything in my truck. If you do there is a real good chance sooner or later you will get ripped off.
    No one ever takes my dirty underwear. For sure, I leave it on the seat.

mtbr member
    I suppose leaving bacon in the car will generate unpleasant results, so you might as well take it with you.
    Not only does it make a tasty snack before a big climb, it also serves as excellent bear bait.

since 4/10/2009
    Not only does it make a tasty snack before a big climb, it also serves as excellent bear bait.
    might need to bring along that camping toilet I just bought....

mtbr member
    So does Jayem's underwear. (clarification: for the bear)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    . Amazed how many people I see riding without the items necessary to do the basic trail-side repairs.
    The smart ones have buddies like you to carry everything for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I carry the following stuff
    Whistle
    Water hydration pack 3L
    Some snacks.
    Bug spray
    Tire tools
    Patches
    Extra glasses
    Cell phone
    Extra soft shell jacket if it is a cool day
    Gravol for nausea moments
    Clorox wipes to clean up my sweaty face
    Wallet, car keys
    If I ride in wilderness area, I will bring my survival knife
    First aid kit

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    bleach on my face. now that's what I'm looking for.

Trail Ninja
    Those Chlorox wipes disinfect! Good for decontamination from exposure to chemtrails too.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    The dirty underwear? or the bacon?

mtbr member
    on me..

water
    food
    multi tool
    patch kit
    pump
    master link
    e tape
    wallet
    keys
    iphone

in car...

nothing

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Camera & a couple of lenses, spare tube & a couple of those little plastic tyre levers.

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

My answer is focused on biking related gear.

With me on the ride: hydration pack with water, multi tool, co2 cart & tool, master link, tire levers, bacon tool, tube, tire boots, zip ties, rear der hanger, mini-pump, bug spray (small 3oz bottle), US ACE emergency whistle, 4mm allen with clutch/torque setting (for seat post on a cf frame), couple gels, lens cloth, and lens wipe.

In the back of the car's cargo area (3rd row folded down): floor pump, shock pump, Kryptonite NYC lock. In compartment below floor and above spare tire: 2 (new) cassettes, multiple new chain rings, new chains, spare sets of pedals, Orange sealant, 3-4 tubes, 2-3 new tires, a few sets of new brake pads, tool bag (contents are too many to list), and shop rags.

Regarding the car, never leaving anything in the car which is irreplaceable. Keep EVERYTHING out of sight and do not give bad guys any reason for temptation. If you are carrying money, jewelry, or fire arms--LOCK THEM UP in your glove box or car-safe (yes they make these). Best situation is not to bring valuables at all.

The answer to the question "why does he carry so much"? I normally travel a lot for both work and play. I bring my bike. I like to be prepared if/when something fails.

No known cure
    Nothing gets left in my Jeep.

In the pack-Tube, levers, mini pump, phone, wallet and keys. And maps. Lots of maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?-20160430_170323.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Always carry Picard's cell # in case of emergency....
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Up In Smoke
    I don’t always carry this, it’s more of an “in the car item” since I ride from home and it stays in the garage. This little broom and dust pan is great for cleaning up broken glass on the trail. Easy and small to throw in the pack in advance.

What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?-5627f46f-2420-4eb3-84c1-7e69a7d38b21.jpg

Nat
    mtbr member
    Dare I ask???

What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?-screen-shot-2020-06-16-7.10.46-am.png

Is it a 2nd century gladiator protective cup?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Dare I ask???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 7.10.46 AM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	1341937
    My saddle looks exactly like that after a ride.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Always carry Picard's cell # in case of emergency....
    yes. I have to save all you sorry a$S3es

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Dare I ask???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 7.10.46 AM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	1341937

Is it a 2nd century gladiator protective cup?
    I guess you could use it on a bear if he started getting too frisky? :/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk