Went for my first ride on the new bike the ride was great but...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Went for my first ride on the new bike the ride was great but...

I went to my local park just to give myself some time to get used to the bike.
    I ran into a group of riders some street some Mountain bikes i knew one couple so I talked to them for a few.
    I was listening to another couple make sneid remarks about my choice of bike and what I was doing with it.
    I almost feelt like I took my CBR to a Harley show.
    I know I didn't spend 2000 on a bike or more but I am at no level where I need a bike like that.
    And while I am not one to care much what people think it still sucks t have to listen to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ignore it, enjoy your ride. Not much else to do. Make sure you never become like that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Oh god no I believe people should enjoy there sport no matter what they can afford.

mtbr member
    The only "judgement" I think can be made of a rider, by their choice of ride, is how serious they take the sport. People who are really passionate about mtn biking tend to have nicer equipment. Some have the buck$ to make that leap early on; but I think most of us have a steady progression of bikes where each new one is better than the last.
    My current bike is the best ride I've ever had...and it's just good enough that sites like this would review it as a entry level bike.

Don't ever make the mistake of judging a rider's skills though by their equipment. I've eaten dust off guys with lower quality rigs than mine and I've blown by guys that are over a decade younger and riding bikes that cost more than two grand more than mine.

RAKC

Re: Went for my first ride on the new bike the ride was great but...

I'll share my beginnings as i dealt with similar.

Last year I started riding again for 2 reasons. First was my son was riding too fast to walk with him and other was I had gotten fat and lazy, needed to get healthy again.

Started on a $25 pos I bought off a old guy. Something to ride for a bit. Month later I went to Walmart spend $200 on a 26" fs. Replaced forks and rear shock with suntour forks and rockshox rear shock, total like $100 Thnx to eBay. Road paved pretty much for months mostly with my son. Got plenty of looks of disgust and snide comments from roadies (why i have a dislike for them now cause i get the same looks cause I ride a mtb everywhere, I'm an mtber on pavement..they don't like me on the paths for whatever reason)

Last fall decided to try out trails. Singletrack trails at that as i found a club not too far that had put together 4 trail sets around their area.

So went down first time to give it a try and got hooked. Was the least challenging trails of the 4.

Second time out I went there again. Ran across a couple riding really nice giant 29er fs' . Well not so.much ran across as caught up to them on the trail. Talked for a couple mins. Told me about them and that those bikes were new, but they were avid riders new too singletrack. Me being 315+ lbs etc at that time. So I shared a brief thing about my quest to loose weight etc. Discussed their bikes a bit then they asked about mine...so i told them it was a $200 Walmart bike that I changed the forks and rear shock....

Got a complete look of being disgusted from them, they spent $2-3k on each bike I had around $300 in mine and caught them. So i was nice said Thnx and have a good day, enjoy their ride. And I took off. Later i came up close to them where trail almost crossed itself and as i came up they were talking about their disgust for how i could be riding like I do on a Walmart bike.

Not the last time I heard comments. I just laughed about it.

Then I met local club members. They gave no care to my bike. Happy to meet a new person to ride with that loved the sport. One did ask if my bike was safe and i explained I stripped and rebuilt it myself so its all good.

They took time to teach me things and I joined shortly after. Was welcomed with happily open arms. Wasn't till late winter I bought my current bike, trek 29er hardtail, as rewardfor getting under 300lbs/late Xmas present (wife used her Xmas bonus to fill in where i was short on funds) long story behind why i chose to buy it. But still isn't some $2k+ bike, was $600 before I started tinkering LOL.

Moral of the story:
    Plenty of asshats out there, just ignore and smile. Figure it this way u spent far less than them to have more fun. You would ask how "more fun" cause they care more about what ur riding than riding for the sport of it. Ur their to have fun they are there for fun yes, but they have to make themselves feel better about who they are and the money they spent. Ull find far more out for fun as time goes on than assclowns like that. Funny thing is "elitest" jerks are hated by everyone I know in this club and its the only club for 2hrs any direction. Some ride $1k bikes, others $5k bikes. All with the same mentality, ride for fun and friends, don't care what u ride as long as its safe cause we'd hate to see you get hurt needlesly.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bike snobs.
    Ignore them, pass them, ride harder, leave them behind.
    I'm glad I live in an avid bicycle area (roseville/folsom) Never once have I had any issues of them being rude about what I ride(even though there are a lot of riders here who ride $3-9k bikes), even when I had a low end bike, now I have a little over $3k total invested into my bike, built from the ground up. Just ride man, ignore haters there are always going to be douche's, mtb scene, roadie scene, car scene, etc. Just because someone has a super expensive and nice high end ride doesn't make them a great or even good rider. Same goes for cars, someone can have a Ferrari or z06 vette and still don't know how to fully utilize it's capabilities.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I try to ignore negative people period I guee it just cought me off guard being a woman into Sports bikes I get a lot of crap from Guys.
    But to me riding Mountain Bikes wasn't about status just about having a good time and getting back into shape.

Hi There!
    No matter where you are or what you're doing you can look around and see some nice people and some jerks, usually more nice people than jerks which is good. Ignore the jerks and the judgmental people.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not MTB but MotoX. Back in the day, way back, my brother and I raced a lot (brother was state champ in fact). We had no money rode used bikes that we pulled to the race on a home made trailer behind an old Camaro. But when the gate dropped we said bye to the guys in the fancy motor homes and picked up the trophies. Also had couple of friends who were brothers and big and I don't mean tall. Great guys and they were damn fast. Learned early on don't judge the book by the cover.

mtbr member

Oh boy have I met some real jerks in my time of riding!!! My Dad was a " Roadie" and he had a Schwinn Paramount racing tandem that he'd take us kids on. I learned to ride as a stoker on that tandem before I could reach the pedals! My bikes growing up were hand me downs that my dad would build up down the basement so I've always rode rat bikes. But I was destined to take after my mothers side of the family and at 17 I was 6 foot 195 and stocky. Even then these roadie assh*les would sneer at me riding my homemade bike even though all the components were Campy. And also make rude comments about my size. Now as an adult riding mtb's I get the same shit except now besides the comments about my weight and bike choice now my age (45) is also thrown in! I've met nice people and jerks. I learned to just ride and have fun
    Chances are .. You're full of [email protected]&?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Like Ricky916 said: "Bike snobs", ignore them. The rider makes the bike, not the other way around. 3 weeks ago, a guy showed up to one of our club rides, riding an old single speed Marin with a solid fork, and he was wearing gym shorts, a ratty old flannel shirt, and orange Croc shoes. I asked one of the guys who he was and he laughed, and said this guy was a member of the racing team (mtb) for one of the largest bike chains in the country. To make a long story short, on a 24 mile ride, this guy smoked everybody, by a good long way. When we took a break, the only question I asked him was if he felt comfortable riding with the Crocs instead of sneakers or something like that, and he said that he likes for his feet to "breathe".

If you want to make them eat their words, ride your ass off, get in great shape, and smoke them on the trail, and we'll see who's laughing. Go get em!

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    The only "judgement" I think can be made of a rider, by their choice of ride, is how serious they take the sport. People who are really passionate about mtn biking tend to have nicer equipment. Some have the buck$ to make that leap early on; but I think most of us have a steady progression of bikes where each new one is better than the last.
    My current bike is the best ride I've ever had...and it's just good enough that sites like this would review it as a entry level bike.

Don't ever make the mistake of judging a rider's skills though by their equipment. I've eaten dust off guys with lower quality rigs than mine and I've blown by guys that are over a decade younger and riding bikes that cost more than two grand more than mine.
    +1, Head on the nail bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

29ers Forever
    I bet no one started out biking with a $1000 or more bike. Even those people who laughed at you must have at one time used a cheap, KMART bike, and then progressively worked up their skills until it seemed reasonable to buy a $3000 bike. Don't listen to them because one day you too will have a nice bike and can laugh at them.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I bet no one started out biking with a $1000 or more bike. Even those people who laughed at you must have at one time used a cheap, KMART bike, and then progressively worked up their skills until it seemed reasonable to buy a $3000 bike. Don't listen to them because one day you too will have a nice bike and can laugh at them.
    You would be surprised on how many people started off with $2k+ bikes as their first rides.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I was intimidated about racing for a long time because, among other things, I was on a $600 Hardrock at the time. Actually turned out to be one of the most welcoming scenes in cycling. Go figure.

People who need to beat you on something and can't beat you on skills and fitness need to do it on equipment.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREBLADE01 View Post
    I was listening to another couple make sneid remarks about my choice of bike and what I was doing with it.
    I know I didn't spend 2000 on a bike or more but I am at no level where I need a bike like that.
    Guess what?
    They don't need a $2000 bike either.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    Oh boy have I met some real jerks in my time of riding!!! My Dad was a " Roadie" and he had a Schwinn Paramount racing tandem that he'd take us kids on. I learned to ride as a stoker on that tandem before I could reach the pedals! My bikes growing up were hand me downs that my dad would build up down the basement so I've always rode rat bikes. But I was destined to take after my mothers side of the family and at 17 I was 6 foot 195 and stocky. Even then these roadie assh*les would sneer at me riding my homemade bike even though all the components were Campy. And also make rude comments about my size. Now as an adult riding mtb's I get the same shit except now besides the comments about my weight and bike choice now my age (45) is also thrown in! I've met nice people and jerks. I learned to just ride and have fun
    Yah I know that one I am 48 now and need to loose some weight and getting back to riding. I guess I just figured eventually people would grow up especially since every one in that group was around 40.
    I shouldn't take it personally but I guess it just took me of guard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks a lot for the comments and yes everyone is right I should just ignor people like that but it took me quite a while to pay that bike off and I guess that's why it bugged me so much.
    But I appreciate everyonce input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its all about having a good time, and the hell with those jerks. Don't give
    up and don't let them get to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For the sake of objectivity though, what exactly were their snide remarks and what were they referring to? Maybe the bike was the wrong size for you or maybe you have an off geometry fork on your bike?

AZ
    banned
    As much as we would like to achieve cycling Nirvana, it is a segment of society that is made up of all types of people with all types of personalities. Thick skin and the ability to ignore some comments will go a long way. Ride for yourself and the gratification of knowing that the azzholes will wake up tomorrow and they will still be azzholes.

High Desert MTBer
    If these people were in your local park MTBing, I would suggest they might not be the greatest MTBers themselves. Like most have said, there are jerks everywhere, try not to let them get to you, do not feel less-than for the bike you have. That is silly! Just ride the crap out of it, and when you feel you need a better one to match your inevitable riding skills improvement, buy one. Those people will probably still be riding round your local park while you'll be up some beautiful mountainside on a gorgeous trail, shredding some 'Gnar'...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Take it from me, son. I ride a $200 Jeep Comanche 29er, some diss it, some like it. But the only thing that matters to me is, I have a Mountain bike that is solid enough to ride on beginner to medium XC trails and doesnt sound like it's gonna blow up when I go fast. What people think of my bike doesnt matter, and if they think my Jeep is crap just cause I got it at Benny's for $200, they can take their $3,000 Specialized and stick it where the sun doesnt shine! Cause I dont need $3,000 worth of components to be happy, I plan on spending somewhere betwixed $800-$1,000 for my next bike. But until then, I shall ride the piss out of the Comanche and enjoy the sport!

Rock on, chaps - JohieBoy1997

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ran into a group of riders some street some Mountain bikes i knew one couple so I talked to them for a few.
    And while I am not one to care much what people think it still sucks t have to listen to it.
    Face it, your bike sucks. I don't know how you can show your face at the trailhead, let alone get caught riding the trail.

Your only recourse is to take up night riding. Get some lights, wait until it's dark, and try riding then if you can bear the shame. If you see someone coming turn off your lights, drag your sucky bike into the woods, and lay quietly for at least fifteen minutes after they pass.

Sorry. I know you want to ride but we have standards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Face it, your bike sucks. I don't know how you can show your face at the trailhead, let alone get caught riding the trail.

Your only recourse is to take up night riding. Get some lights, wait until it's dark, and try riding then if you can bear the shame. If you see someone coming turn off your lights, drag your sucky bike into the woods, and lay quietly for at least fifteen minutes after they pass.

Sorry. I know you want to ride but we have standards.
    Yah ok I will certainly do that

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Karma can be a b.... sometimes just today I rode past the guy broke down with his 2000 dollar bike his suspension broke oh well maybe his expensive bike pushed better.

RAKC

Re: Went for my first ride on the new bike the ride was great but...

Ur getting it now, but one thing is be cool to everyone unless they give u a reason not to be. I always check on anyone that's fallen or broke down make sure they are ok and such. But these snobs don't realize one thing, their expensive bike is lighter and prettier, but breaks just as easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Ur getting it now, but one thing is be cool to everyone unless they give u a reason not to be. I always check on anyone that's fallen or broke down make sure they are ok and such. But these snobs don't realize one thing, their expensive bike is lighter and prettier, but breaks just as easy.

He wasn't alone but from what I saw he was walking period.

mtbr member
    Well, what kind of bike do you have? Maybe they were right!

Just kidding ... like someone mentioned, just human nature. Show up to play bball, someone will be criticizing your shoes. Show up to scrap book, someone will be eyeing your scissors. Go to a fishing derby, they'll make fun of your rig (or whatever it is called). And so on and so forth.

80% of us won't even notice what bike you're on, 90% won't care, 95% won't say anything. But you always have that 5% will notice, will care, and say something about it. For example, I got to the top of a moderate climb in a popular riding area on my long travel AM, rode past someone who made the comment to the guy next to him, "why would you EVER want to pedal that bike up the hill, I can't believe what some people ride ..." So you'll get comments even if you have a bike worth more than $2000 ... just something to look forward to!

Just the way people seem to work.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member

Ok congrats on the new ride. Enjoy it.

I try never to judge, however once this year I was an azz badly.
    The guy was mtn biking without a helmet and smoking. I was like WTF.

In retro I should have been nicer. Lesson hopefully learned.

Bill

Pro Crastinator
    some serious sensitivity going on here...

mtbr member
    I'm always pumped to see people out on whatever bike they have. Everybody gets the bug for a new bike once they start riding a lot. The bike I am riding is way beyond what I could afford, but I just happen to have connections to people in the industry. Otherwise I would probably still be riding the 1998 Heckler that I bought from the classifieds here when it was 3 years old.

The important thing is to have fun. And be safe. My quest for safety got me a better fork and brakes on my first bike.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Tell them all to "fvck off" next time they whine and moan.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    some serious sensitivity going on here...

Maybe but finding it sad that people can't outgrow that childish behavior saying that was something I would have done when I was 8.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Well, what kind of bike do you have? Maybe they were right!

Just kidding ... like someone mentioned, just human nature. Show up to play bball, someone will be criticizing your shoes. Show up to scrap book, someone will be eyeing your scissors. Go to a fishing derby, they'll make fun of your rig (or whatever it is called). And so on and so forth.

80% of us won't even notice what bike you're on, 90% won't care, 95% won't say anything. But you always have that 5% will notice, will care, and say something about it. For example, I got to the top of a moderate climb in a popular riding area on my long travel AM, rode past someone who made the comment to the guy next to him, "why would you EVER want to pedal that bike up the hill, I can't believe what some people ride ..." So you'll get comments even if you have a bike worth more than $2000 ... just something to look forward to!

Just the way people seem to work.

The X-caliber 8 29er not by far the best but not the worst either.
    And yes they will lol

Ride Instigator
    I wonder if anyone ever makes reverse snobbery comments about me...the old guy on the high end bike that everyone passes on the climbs. All the carbon in the world ain't going to make ME go faster!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    I wonder if anyone ever makes reverse snobbery comments about me...the old guy on the high end bike that everyone passes on the climbs. All the carbon in the world ain't going to make ME go faster!
    I am certain some teenagers would do that because they haven't lived long enough while others wished they still could just like my bike not being top of the line I am sure someone out there does not have enough tact to keep there mouth shut.
    I do not know your age and its none of my business but I have taken enough just being 48 and getting back into bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For almost 10 years I've been using my old school FS (URT) bike with V-brakes. I'd get looks from other bikers ranging from sympathetic to outright contemptuous. I didn't care, I love it and it's so comfortable to me and by the way, nothing's wrong with it even after 10 years. Even my bike buddies would disguise how they feel about my bike by giving "suggestions" to change the fork or to change the brakes to disc etc. I eventually succumbed to pressure and bought a newer bike because I noticed I didn't get invited to rides anymore. But I still love my old FS and would ride it occasionally during solo rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    [QUOTE=Gundam168;10667370]For almost 10 years I've been using my old school FS (URT) bike with V-brakes. I'd get looks from other bikers ranging from sympathetic to outright contemptuous. I didn't care, I love it and it's so comfortable to me and by the way, nothing's wrong with it even after 10 years. Even my bike buddies would disguise how they feel about my bike by giving "suggestions" to change the fork or to change the brakes to disc etc. I eventually succumbed to pressure and bought a newer bike because I noticed I didn't get invited to rides anymore. But I still love my old FS and would ride it occasionally during solo rides.[/QUOTE

Thats why I ride by myself or with family only that way I don't get pushed into things.

mtbr member
    I just love jackasses to make a comment about my weight or the bike I'm riding. Today as a matter of fact I went on a short ride and I get " man, how does that bike hold up under that weight"?!? I mean really? So I stopped and asked these two whippets " have you ever had a 310 pound weight on your chest? " they both answered no to which I replied " how about we find out?" Lol they both looked at each other in disbelief that I had the nerve to confront them.
    Chances are .. You're full of [email protected]&?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    I just love jackasses to make a comment about my weight or the bike I'm riding. Today as a matter of fact I went on a short ride and I get " man, how does that bike hold up under that weight"?!? I mean really? So I stopped and asked these two whippets " have you ever had a 310 pound weight on your chest? " they both answered no to which I replied " how about we find out?" Lol they both looked at each other in disbelief that I had the nerve to confront them.
    Good for you