mtbr member
    Aug 2018

well that was "exciting" chain went off into spokes .. minimal carnage (i think**)

Haven't been on here much .. much busy with holidays..

it started raining (lightly) so I thought well this is a perfect time to go hit the trails by my house, I'm from the PNW and I miss seasons greatly living here in SoCal with what I like to call warm summer and Hot summer as seasons generally...

everything went pretty well except for mud flying into my mouth.. blah..

then at very low speed I started up a hilly section and had just shifted into granny gear.. chain went off cassette into spokes.. I stopped pedaling immediately trying very hard, successfully to avoid falling flat on my face...

blah blah ... lacking proper tools (i know i know) I loosened back wheel got chain back on cassette and limped home (checking wheel for obvious o **** damage) ...

I don't see any obvious damage to wheel / spokes.. nor to derailleur

the bike hasn't been crashed.. I don't think the derailleur or hanger is bent?? .. didn't look that closely yet.. (getting dark and it is wet .. not ideal conditions to work on bike as I have no choice but to do so outside...

I guess I need to check chain for wear , double check for bent derailleur or whatever , adjust limit screw .. double check wheel to see if it is now jacked up?? / out of true?

what else ??

one of my friends who are bike mechanic's could probably look at it next week so I'll probably have them do so... it was quite unpleasant having the chain go over the back of the cassette if I'm honest.. I would much like to have that not happen again... not sure why it happened now.. I have checked this recently and the limit screws previously seemed ok?

could have been worse I did very nearly eat it when chain came off..

well that was "exciting" chain went off into spokes .. minimal carnage (i think**)-rain.jpg

jcd's best friend
    Glad to hear you were ok. This goes back to the dork disc argument now
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    yeah.. cheers .. I was less worried about the bike than myself when it went wrong honestly.. I was a bit surprised I managed to get a foot down and save it.. happily surprised indeed..

i did consider the fact that ye ol' dork disc would have prevented this unhappy mishap.. someone should make a "stylish" dork disc... I might well have that.

mtbr member
    it doesn't take much to knock it out of alignment, you could have messed it up very easily. If you can adjust the limit screw and see that it is not bent you're probably going to be ok.

Just say to to the dork disc.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    First thing that came to mind is that itís a troll thread to give the dork disc credit as if itís needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I had this happen to me (2-3 times before I got derailed fixed)and then started breaking spokes. Chain had scored the drive side spokes. I would just inspect, and not worry about unless it happens. But if it does and breaks in the middle on the drive side - consider replacing all drive side spokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. It's pretty common that the spokes get nicked by the chain going off the inside of the cassette. Rear DS spokes are under the greatest stress and nicks can lead to them breaking in use. It's a judgement call as to whether to ride them and see if they start to break, or preemptively replacing the nicked spokes. Usually it's 1/4 or fewer of the total spokes on the wheel...8 for a 32 spoke wheel, and it's a pretty simple job if the wheel is already reasonably true and otherwise in good shape.

A dork disc might reduce the possibility of the chain derailing inside the cassette, but I've seen a good number of bikes with dork discs and the chain jammed behind the cassette. Mainly, a dork disc can prevents the inner edge of the RD cage from catching on a spoke ripping the derailleur off, if the DD is big enough in diameter. I've seen many that aren't, especially with the large cassettes commonly in use nowadays.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Impossible to tell without laying eyes on it to inspect. Here is what I would do (but I have tools):
    -remove rear wheel and clean everything on wheel, cassette, chain, derailleur and dropout area
    -inspect spokes behind cassette (may need to pop off cassette). I don't worry about minor scars on spokes, just verify there is no major damage. You can buy just about any spoke at wheelbuilder.com in sets of 5. Need to figure out style and length...best to measure spokes vs guess.
    -true up hanger with alignment tool
    -inspect chain
    -lubricate everything
    -set up hi/lo stops per mfg guidance
    -check wheel and true up as needed
    -derailleur could be bent...sometimes it's not enough to see and there is a possibility you will have shifting issues after doing all the above
    -go ride
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^
    minor chain nicks on spokes typically means that spoke or spokes will bust eventually, at the nick. not really ideal to keep them installed with nicks but...just expect them to bust. they may never bust though...depends on how much you ride
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I had this happen to me (2-3 times before I got derailed fixed)and then started breaking spokes. Chain had scored the drive side spokes. I would just inspect, and not worry about unless it happens. But if it does and breaks in the middle on the drive side - consider replacing all drive side spokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, this happened to me, too. Check them spokes.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    ...someone should make a "stylish" dork disc... I might well have that.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    My new bike has shifted the chain over the large cog on 2 occasions now. I need to make an adjustment to the limit screw and see how it does.

Both times have been in a technical, quick shift situation.

Now that it has happened twice on this bike, it makes 3 times in my life it has happened

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Impossible to tell without laying eyes on it to inspect. Here is what I would do (but I have tools):
    -remove rear wheel and clean everything on wheel, cassette, chain, derailleur and dropout area
    -inspect spokes behind cassette (may need to pop off cassette). I don't worry about minor scars on spokes, just verify there is no major damage. You can buy just about any spoke at wheelbuilder.com in sets of 5. Need to figure out style and length...best to measure spokes vs guess.
    -true up hanger with alignment tool
    -inspect chain
    -lubricate everything
    -set up hi/lo stops per mfg guidance
    -check wheel and true up as needed
    -derailleur could be bent...sometimes it's not enough to see and there is a possibility you will have shifting issues after doing all the above
    -go ride
    thank you for the check list thing.. I do have tools at home I just didn't on the ride I will get on this..

also thank you everyone who has commented.. I will probably get the wheel looked at by a friend (who works on bikes for a living) and see what he thinks about the spokes / wheel condition..

the discerning hooligan
    The hanger alignment check at the shop with a tool is kinda' important. Eyeballing it is not the same. I also check the limit screw/ high-low adjustment every time the chain gets cleaned and lubed, not because the limit screws move that much, but it could indicate the derailleur or hanger might have taken a hit (very common on New England rock trails). Ten years ago these chain jams happened way more often from cup/cone hub bearings going loose or bad QR skewers.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    ok... so I looked at it awhile.. the H screw was off somehow?? it had been checked recently.. not sure ..maybe hanger is bent?

in the next couple days I'm having a mechanic look at it.. going to be raining here anyways.. and work..etc. I'll get it more professionally checked over before having a go again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The H screw won't have any affect on shifting inward.
    H is the "High" limit screw. Another way to remember it is H=Hard

If the H screw was okay before and now it is not -it is likely the hanger is bent.
    Best internet guess is that the hanger is bent and is slightly inward (meaning the high limit won't fully allow the chain to easily drop onto your hardest cog, likewise it is inward allowing derailleur travel further than it should be.

This comment of course would assume only that your H screw needed to be unscrewed for proper adjustment.

TRANCER
    Ouch
    Ride

Barely in control
    You can get a zip tie mud fender for your fork for like 99 cents or make your own for less out of an old milk carton. That will keep stuff out of your mouth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    The H screw won't have any affect on shifting inward.
    H is the "High" limit screw. Another way to remember it is H=Hard

If the H screw was okay before and now it is not -it is likely the hanger is bent.
    Best internet guess is that the hanger is bent and is slightly inward (meaning the high limit won't fully allow the chain to easily drop onto your hardest cog, likewise it is inward allowing derailleur travel further than it should be.

This comment of course would assume only that your H screw needed to be unscrewed for proper adjustment.
    I'm dumb I meant "L" screw.. I actually followed park tools video guide to adust rear derailleur.. so I ended up adjusting both actually..

however you may well be right .. the hanger might well be bent.. after thinking about it .. I did actually have a low speed mishap and ended up putting the bike down drive side while stepping off the bike myself.. perhaps that did indeed tweak the hanger?

blah blah.. in a couple days I'm going to get my bike mechanic friend to look at it.. doubtless he will be "impressed" with my adjustment efforts??

mtbr member
    Coulda been worse. Chain could have flown into the front wheel spokes.

Upcyclist
    Why rely on someone else to fix your bike? It's not that hard to figure out what's going on, even without a hangar tool. I'd probably make a DIY version, or rig one somehow... if I ever couldn't eyeball an alignment.

By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

the discerning hooligan
    I can usually get the vertical adjustment close by eyeballing it. When itís twisted I canít always get it right without a tool. Itís very much the kind of job a shop does for loyal customers no charge.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Why rely on someone else to fix your bike? It's not that hard to figure out what's going on, even without a hangar tool. I'd probably make a DIY version, or rig one somehow... if I ever couldn't eyeball an alignment.

fair enough.. since my friend that works on bikes for a living offered to look at it.. I'm going to take some beers and have him more or less show me ..so I can do it more confidently in future...

since it was nearly a catastrophic event.. I'll feel better having someone that already knows what they are doing give it a look over..

but my goal is not to just have them fix it, but to have them teach me how to fix it moving forwards..