Welcoming Post and Opinions Needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Welcoming Post and Opinions Needed

Hello bikers! New to the forums and new to biking! Will be making my first mountain bike purchase this weekend or the next. Just wanted to say hi to all and maybe get a little friendly input on bike choices. Not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but would like a nice bike for some downhill and trail riding. Really not wanting a Trek, couple of my friends have owned them and said they have to tinker around with them all the time. Really interested in the Cannondales, possibly the Cannondale Trail 5. Any input or opinions is appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Blard

Rabid Lana Fan
    For the most part, they are all going to have the same brands/kinds of components hanging off of them, and it's the components that need the "tinkering", not so much the frame.

So if you find a Trek you like, don't let your friends sway your decision.

I would say ride as many different kinds as you can: demo days, borrow friend's bikes, borrow stranger's bikes, etc. You'll find your 'perfect' bike.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    For the most part, they are all going to have the same brands/kinds of components hanging off of them, and it's the components that need the "tinkering", not so much the frame.

So if you find a Trek you like, don't let your friends sway your decision.

I would say ride as many different kinds as you can: demo days, borrow friend's bikes, borrow stranger's bikes, etc. You'll find your 'perfect' bike.
    Thanks for the reply! I always loved the way Trek bikes looked and seemed to perform very well in videos that I watched. Will still be looking at some Treks when I go to the shop this weekend.

Rabid Lana Fan
    For the most part, Trek is a pretty well liked brand.

It's Specialized that makes everyone cringe. And I can't verify this, but I've always heard that you get more "bang for your buck" with Giant over the rest of the big name bike companys.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Giant makes bikes for many companies They have and maybe still make bikes for Trek and Specialized.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Welcome!

As netwurker said, at that spec you'll get pretty much comparable equipment from all the major brands. I'd try to go for a big brand from an LBS in order to get the right fit and fitments. Also, if you don't like tinkering, some LBS offer free tuneups for a limited time.

Downhill and Trail are loaded (not in a bad way) terms. But if you really mean Downhill with a capital D then most would recommend going for a full suspension bike and either upping the budget or buying a used bike.

Lone Wolf
    Your 1st bike won't be your last..You like the Trek get it and ride it like you stole it....
    To get the most out of your bike you need to fill your skills bag.... Buy a bike and RIDE....
    Lower end bikes work fine and are cheaper to fix...
    Focus on skills, fill your bag of tricks first, this greatly reduces your risk of injury so you can ride more keep the bike in top shape and worry about all the tech stuff on your second bike....

I know two guys that ride lower end hardtails both with leaking XCR Suntour forks and both with rim brakes....one needs tires,but still they really fast and I mean fast..
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blard View Post
    Really interested in the Cannondales, possibly the Cannondale Trail 5. Any input or opinions is appreciated!
    I worked in a shop that sold Specialized, Giant, and Cannondale--the Trail 5 is not a good bang-fer-yer-buck bike. For the same amount of money, you'll get a better component spec from most other brands. Giant is generally a good value brand.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

All bike, all the time
    Don't spend too much on this bike because three things happen when you get your first bike:

1) You try it but don't particularly get into MTB. Money down the drain.
    2) You go it's OK, I like it not love it, I'll keep it around, ride once in awhile.You didn't overspend.
    3) I love it! I'm riding all the time! I want a better bike!

In all three cases, spending the minimum will leave you with more money for the next step.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Go into the bike shop you like best, and buy what they're selling. An entry level bike might have a few component differences here and there, but no matter what they say on the downtube, they're pretty much all the same. Go buy one from the shop that does the best at earning your business, a place you'll happily go for service and upgrades.

I rode the Cannondale, Giant, and Specialized (all similar priced ones) and liked how the 2015 Cannondale Trail 5 rode the best of all those I tried. Spec wise they are all very similar in that range and about the same price. The Cannondale does have hydraulic disk brakes,remote fork lockout and a few other things which l liked and the Specialized and Giant didn't have in the same price range. Plus I thought the Cannondale looked the best. I bought the 29er in medium. I liked that size of wheel the best.

The biggest deciding factor was I enjoyed how my local bike shop treated me. I went to 3 of the bike shops in my area and the Cannondale dealer was by far the best to work with. Plus the bike shop is 2 miles from my house. Great people there.

I have used it over 20 times on some beginner to immediate trails and it has performed flawlessly. I'm happy with my choice.

Good luck with your new bike. Just go ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcoming Post and Opinions Needed-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It is most fun to do this sport when your equipment fits. You can go buy the most bike you could possible scrape money together for and hate this sport if it doesn't fit right. It's tough to buy a bad bike if you are looking and established brands so go and try out a few from different manufacturers and one of them will feel the best. As you see from the poster above the bike you like is making people happy and that's what counts most. Don't get too caught up in what people say regarding brands; we all like what we like. Find the bike that works for you (your fit and your budget) and get out there and enjoy. And as was mentioned above-if you like it this bike is a stepping stone so ride it like you stole it!