Are we just as bad as roadies.... ?- Mtbr.com
    I always bleed like this.

Are we just as bad as roadies.... ?

Decided to get a road bike. I even decided I was going to need one with... gears.

I have been doing my research and spending some time on BikeForum. Though I am not surprised that the name on the side of the bike seems to be more important to most people over there than if it rides well. I am concerned that we are kinda the same. I mean, I don't care if you have a Nashbar or Sette frame, heck I don't CARE much about what anyone else does, as long as they treat the trail right, (truth is I think the Nashbar and Sette frames are pretty solid all things considered). If you pull up with some Walmart specials I just kinda figure that you are new and I hope you don't get hurt because something breaks.

Point is, are we as a community gravitating to the roadie mentality that perception is real and if your bike does not have a pedigree then regardless of how fast you are you are still not worthy of a head nod? I have read a lot of comments about how this frame or that frame is junk, the bike is not worth upgrading and the common denominator seems to be the name on the frame, not the ride or that they have been known to fail or anything that I would consider important. This seems to be a popular mentality over there and though it makes getting good advice on a purchase difficult I wondered if I was being a bit hypocritical by laughing at their superiority complex. I don't think we are as bad but I have to wonder, are we and I just can't see it?

Probably drunk right now

Mountain biker = Road Rider

Mountain bikers are the same thing as Roadies. They're myopic and disparage other types of riding. They identify themselves by what they ride.

I've found that people who identify themselves solely as mountain bikers tend to disparage and make gross generalizations of people who ride a bike they consider inferior to theirs and other types of riding. People who ride road bikes really don't care about poking fun at mountain biking.

On the other hand, people who ride all types of bikes but have a preference of one type over another tend to not care at all what type of bike or style of riding someone else does.

mtbr member
    Go back to BikeForum and tell them that Scott O says they're a bunch of pussies, especially if their bike is not red. That should settle that problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    Stuff.
    I think this whole roadies hate mtn.bikers thing is complete ********. Everyone that I know rides as many different bikes as they can get their hands on. I used to ride with fairly serious roadies and they don't give a crap what you ride as long as you can keep up.
    Same thing for mtn.bikers. Nobody cares what you ride or how you dress as long as you can keep up with the group. You want to wear Lycra and ride a cross bike on the trails? Cool. You want to ride full suspension and baggy shorts? Cool. Just keep up and there won't be any problems.

mtbr member

As a fulltime armchair psychologist,

my considered opinion is that one of the things that drives people is the desire for status. We're social creatures, after all - like dogs. And face it, most of us aren't that special to rate any real status in the pack. So we make up ways to give ourselves status, sometimes at the expense of others, sometimes based on pure fantasy. A few examples:

Mountain biking is superior to road biking (or visa versa).
    My climbing ability makes me superior to those who use the granny gear.
    My country is superior to all others.
    My race is above all others.
    Etc, etc.

I think most of us do this in some way or other (I know I catch myself doing it) - but some of us are a lot more annoying about it.
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 01-28-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Go back to BikeForum and tell them that Scott O says they're a bunch of pussies, especially if their bike is not red. That should settle that problem.
    ... Crap. We ARE just a bunch of roadies, we just have tougher bikes and wear our lycra under our baggies. Damn.

Gasp4Air:
    "I think most of us do this in some way or other (I know I catch myself doing it) - but some of us are a lot more annoying about it."

So THAT'S the difference, we are just like roadies but cooler and more laid back. Well, that's not so bad I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    +1 I find that cyclists are happy to have riding buddies either on road or mountain, gear is not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by limba
    I think this whole roadies hate mtn.bikers thing is complete ********. Everyone that I know rides as many different bikes as they can get their hands on. I used to ride with fairly serious roadies and they don't give a crap what you ride as long as you can keep up.
    Same thing for mtn.bikers. Nobody cares what you ride or how you dress as long as you can keep up with the group. You want to wear Lycra and ride a cross bike on the trails? Cool. You want to ride full suspension and baggy shorts? Cool. Just keep up and there won't be any problems.

nobody
    I don't think we are as bad but I have to wonder, are we and I just can't see it?
    No. Roadies are much worse

Seriously though, some people define themselves by their possessions and status is important to them. I don't think what type of bike a person chooses to ride makes them that way....it's just an attitude thing.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

There's no app for this.

Roadies have more courage

you wouldn't catch me jockeying for position with some texting Hummer driver. I'd rather be boinging down some steep Norshore trails where it's safe.

Wait, does this mean we're the same?

Jim

Sweep the leg!
    Ken hit it on the head. The only differences might be leg hair and dirt
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

AZ
    banned
    Just ride a bike ..............

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mt. bikers don't generally wear heart rate monitors; so there is one thing that is different.

dwt
    mtbr member
    I ride with the same group of guys - all 50+ - on the road and off the road. We get in plenty of miles of both each season - at least 2000 on the road (we use computers) and who knows how many off-road (because anybody who uses a computer off-road is a Barney) - just kidding.

By coincidence, we all have VPP mtn bikes (2 Spiders, 3 Blurs) but everybody has a different road bike, from new 16 lbs. all carbon to old 20+ lbs. all aluminum.

The criterion is: "it's the motor, not the machine." If you generally keep up, you're in. Period. Whether you wear baggies or lycra, t-shirt or jersey, have hairy legs or shaved, use a camelbak or water bottles, have light bike or heavy bike, have a new bike or old bike, have a brand name or a Korean e-bay knock off.

Walking the walk always trumps talking the talk.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Probably drunk right now

Roadies are tougher...

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    you wouldn't catch me jockeying for position with some texting Hummer driver. I'd rather be boinging down some steep Norshore trails where it's safe.

Wait, does this mean we're the same?

Jim

At least Catted roadies who race crits. I fully and readily admitt that I'm not man enough to race a crit at any Cat level.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Just as bad, perhaps, but in different ways.

FWIW, roadies don't hate mtbrs. They are barely aware of our existence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't know, a great many of them own MTB's which I suspect they must ride in the dirt every now and then. There was a recent thread on RBR where roadies showed their MTB's...a great many indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Just ride a bike ..............
    Yah....I just consider myself a "biker" (at least that's what they used to call me @ the local Skatepark.....I dont go there anymore ) So yah I lIke Biker
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Its got what plants crave
    At first glance I'll probably think you're a chump if you're riding some POS. But if you can ride it, and if you can drop me or hit bigger jumps or ride your ass off I don't care WHAT you ride, you get respect. On the other hand, if you have some super high end bike and can't ride worth a damn I'll probably think you're a chump also. You can ride what you want if you gots da skillz. In fact, you might even get MORE respect if you ride a clunker and can keep up. Even if you're riding a clunker and are just trying HARD to learn to ride or whatever, I think that's cool too.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

First picture in the post at RBR that canuckjgc mentioned.
    Now, I think I have at least some basic component knowledge but I have never seen these wheels before and there is no way I would take them off a paved surface.
    Is this like the perfect "Roadie" Mountain Bike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are we just as bad as roadies....   ?-roadiemtbk.jpg  

AZ
    banned
    Thats quite the compilation of parts . :]

ride the moment
    Now, I think I have at least some basic component knowledge but I have never seen these wheels before and there is no way I would take them off a paved surface.
    Adjustable stem, carbon wheels, thudbuster, tender tushie saddle, and roadie pedals on a full squish. That guy is 11 different kinds of awesome.

On the topic though, anyone can be a douche if they fall into the mistaken mindset that their achievements make them special. For the most part, we're all pretty disposable.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    I ride lots of both and both groups are similar in that they tend to give more status to people with high end bikes,

Where I see a big difference is in acknowledgement of other riders when crossing paths Here's the math:

roadies = 10% bike snobs - I'd say at least 10 % of riders I see on the road don't even pretend to notice that you exist A little wave or nod is all I'm looking for!

mountain bikers <1% bike snobs - everybody says hi!

mtbr member
    About the bikes, I like objective standards, and I find it is easier to measure on mountain bikes.

You could weigh road frames, maybe test stiffness (German bike mags do it), but otherwise, they have very similar geometry and riding characteristics.

Mountain bikes, there are so many ways to measure, from bearing replacement times, to head tube angles.

The riders, I noticed on the bike paths no one says hello, but plenty of mountain bikers have blown me off as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's missing a flex stem...then it would be the ultimate suspension rig.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Mountain bikers are the same thing as Roadies. They're myopic and disparage other types of riding. They identify themselves by what they ride.
    +1, except we cover our spandex more often and our helmets come with visors.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

the test dummy
    mountain bikers have more fun roadies are just jealous. i cant ride road bikes because when i do i break them.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think we all have about the same percentage of A$$holes in our respective groups...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tough to make generalizations; of the cyclists I know, I'd say close to half of them ride both.

Now drivers...there's a bunch of a$$holes

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I am speechless. Wow.

Do we do equally stupid things to road bikes?

Maaaaan
    That Raleigh was probably built by a rich person with a bad back.

Or as a joke...

The XTR is a nice touch. lol.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta

I am speechless. Wow.

Do we do equally stupid things to road bikes?

Do you huck your road bike ?

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar

The XTR is a nice touch. lol.
    Damn, ya beat me to it. I was staring too long wondering if that's "really" XTR or if I'm hallucinating.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    I like the 3 lb gel seat on a Thudbuster on rear suspension.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I admit I fall to the occassional bit of bike snobbery. The best solution for me is the fact that the best rider I ride with rides an old Marin HT which he finally put a disk compatible fork (80 mm) on front with cable disks. Still rocking Vs in the rear because no tabs. He's always first up the hill, and worse for me with the 5" expensive toy, usually first down it too!

He came with a different group I occassionally ride with, all with similar 5" trail bikes, nice rides all. One later admitted that he was worried about my friend keeping up. At the end he admitted it was all he could do to keep up with him. So yeah, mountain bikers in my experience do look at the bike. Once the ride is on it's all about the motor though.

David B.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover
    I think we all have about the same percentage of A$$holes in our respective groups...
    +1

mtbr member
    I ride both, and am lucky to have found pretty laid back groups in both disciplines. But I think mountain biking is seriously at risk of succumbing to the marketing hype... "This years full carbon 6" is 100 grams lighter than last years and so much more plush..." - you get the picture.

Will I go faster on a carbon FS bike that's 1 kilogram lighter than my current FS rig? - Yeah.

Will I enjoy my riding more on carbon FS bike that's 1 kilogram lighter than my current FS rig? - Maybe.

The MtB technology has improved dramatically, but I don't think you always need the top end toys to enjoy the ride.
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am south presently with my mountain bike and doing a lot of pavement riding. A mountain bike with aggressive riding position and slicks is the perfect urban bike IMHO. I have outfitted my 26er with slicks and the bike is "almost" as fast as a road bike. Back home I ride road and dirt in about the same amount. I believe this roadie snob thing is nonsense. There are shy or people without a personality in every type of riding. I just like to drop those guys. I ride my mountain bike with slicks pretty aggressively. A top road biker can drop me on it but not the other guys. Many road bikers have been really nice to me out riding. Hey, you're pretty fast on that fat tired bike! many say. I tell them I am also a road biker. Some try to drop me but can't Others I can even drop while spinning out down wind in 44-11. The point is, the more different people and groups you hang with, the more you learn that people are the same. There are jerks that ride the dirt and on the road but mostly great guys with a common spirit that ride both. Keep in mind, if you can't drop the jerks, you are worse than they are.

local trails rider
    I don't see a big division between people riding different bikes, or deep concern for your bike being nicer than your neighbor's bike. But then, I am in northern Europe.

I know that a pretty good percentage of people who ride trails here also ride road. Or at least they use a bike for local transportation. When people get together for a group ride, someone might be curious about your bike if it is something less common. Or if a newbie shows up with something clearly unsuitable, some good advice will probably be offered.

trail addict
    Well, it should be obvious that anyone with a less expensive bike than mine is a cheapskate loser.... and anyone with a more expensive bike (or more bikes) is obviously a spoiled brat or a snob. Kidding, obviously, but that attitude does rear its ugly head here and there. Most of the guys I know are just happy to have a good bike, good trails, and good rides with good buds.

In real life, negativity breeds negativity, so I either ignore it or get away from those types.

Here on the internet, however, anyone can play armchair quarterback, or start arguments, or inflate their own ego... so you see a lot of negativity just for the sake of people getting away with it with no real consequences.

But at any rate, we are always better than roadies. ALWAYS!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

trail addict
    Wow, thudbuster and rear suspension... That's a lot of travel?!?

Oops, am I being guilty of insulting someone else's ride?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    But at any rate, we are always better than roadies. ALWAYS!
    My motto is " A roadie who doesn't ride off-road has no soul. An off-roadie who doesn't ride on the road has no heart."
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

It's about showing up.

So much of our task is measuring ourselves agains gravity, surfaces and obsticles.

Succeeding at this through our own efforts is what our riding is all about. The power, techniques, and machines we use are a vital part of that success. The decisions we make are central to that success. Sometimes that mental mechanism spills over into other issues and what works and what doesn't morphs into us and them.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbeinct
    rider I ride with rides
    i struggled for a while with these words
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BMX:Our Shining Future
    Riding a double suspended long travel mountain bike with big fat street tires and up bars "around town" (is that called "urban"?) Is so much focking fun you wouldn't believe it. I think it could be the funnest biking I have ever done. And rigorous! Anyways I would make mods to that goofy bike but seriously. All mountain bikes with Schwalbe asphault tires. It's NUTTY!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are we just as bad as roadies....   ?-cr8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Road bikers are pussies.

Even worse are the road bikers that try and mountain bike. You know those guys that can only climb in a straight line, and are too busy washing the sand out of their vag when even the slightest downhill appears.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    Road bikers are pussies.

Even worse are the road bikers that try and mountain bike. You know those guys that can only climb in a straight line, and are too busy washing the sand out of their vag when even the slightest downhill appears.
    The fastest downhillers all ride road bikes around here.
    I'm sure the people on the KHS Team wouldn't be too happy to hear your comments.
    We have some very fast XC riders around Bootleg Canyon, that are very serious roadies as well. One of them commutes about 23 miles each way to work at UNLV, from Boulder City NV.
    One of them is the wife of the guy that commutes to his teaching job at the university every day. She can out-ride a lot of the guys around here.
    They are all excellent technical riders.

I'll have to ask the girls at Bootleg, if they have to wash the sand out of there "vags" after a technical ride...
    They'll get a laugh out of that.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Probably drunk right now

Humm....

Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    Road bikers are pussies.

Go ride a crit. Come back to us and let us know your opinion then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It's called the Roadifying or Road-Creep. Some is good but most is bad.

mtbr member
    Threads like this are always a good read and confirm that no matter what you are riding, you can still come off as a complete douche bag......

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What about E Bikes?

I see some serious attitude against anyone even thinking about an E assist bike.
    I guess if you cant ride an unassisted bike, don't ride at all?
    My main activity is Martial Arts. Should newbies be put down and mistreated because they don't have the skills that others have? If we want to expand cycling, we have to leave room for others to join in. They will sort themselves out in time. Some will eventually get a proper MTB and some will drop out. Just like anything else, people need an entryway into an activity. JMHO

R

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I've found that people who identify themselves solely as mountain bikers tend to disparage and make gross generalizations of people who ride a bike they consider inferior to theirs and other types of riding. People who ride road bikes really don't care about poking fun at mountain biking.

On the other hand, people who ride all types of bikes but have a preference of one type over another tend to not care at all what type of bike or style of riding someone else does.
    i agree with this guy, seemingly that mountain bikes were invented by road bike riders??????????????

local trails rider
    Go ride a crit.
    Uhh, I will not...
    I might go and watch a race when there is one in town.
    Cannot decide if I want, or don't want, to see a crash when the pack takes a tight street corner at speed, half of the guys having someone rubbing their shoulders on both sides.

mtbr member

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    mountain bikers have more fun roadies are just jealous. i cant ride road bikes because when i do i break them.
    I think I'm getting there. I quit riding my road bike after bending the rear axle twice and braking 4 spokes over the course of a month.

Maybe i'm the minority, but living in a big city, I know a lot of guys who road bike/fixed gears and really hate on mountain biking. A couple of them think 'downhill' when I tell them that I'm going mountain biking for a few hours, yet they ***** about the cars and traffic, the things I try to get away from in the woods. Honestly they're worse than the roadies yall are talking about, since they ***** about the lycra mafia just like i'm hearing on here but wont even try riding off paved surfaces. Most of them are just so full of their fixed gear is best elitism that they've closed their mind to other disciplines of road riding and wouldnt even think to try mountain biking.

There will always be elitists who think they're better because of their hardware, and one can argue who has the more advanced bikes, mountain or road, but in the end the bike that is ridden is better than the one sitting in a garage.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    up to a point all mountain bikes are pretty much the same, road bikes are just about the same, once you get the right geometry and decent components.
    We as humans need to satisfy our egos, and they often come in to play in every sport or activity we play part of , can be cars, road or mtbke.
    We often take as weakness the likes of others, as to what we express are our own fears

local trails rider
    Those who most fervently preach their own faith are often the ones who are the most insecure about it.

mtbr member
    Hey Diggidy! You're a Douche.

mtbr member
    I agree with those who say there is no difference between the two groups, really. it's human nature for people to look down on others who don't have the latest, greatest stuff, and for people without the latest greatest stuff to resent those that do. This happens in all aspects of life. (I know I hate all those BMW and Lexus drivers I see on the freeway when driving my '02 Civic to work. )

When I was shopping for my road bike, I posted over on roadbikereview.com for advice, openly stating that I was a mountain biker looking for a road bike for training purposes. Just like here, there were a lot of friendly people who responded with well-meaning advice, and a few A-holes, too.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

Members who have read this thread: 0