way, Way, WAY off topic..any carpenters/remodelers?`- Mtbr.com
    Pocket Pool Savant

New question here. way, Way, WAY off topic..any carpenters/remodelers?`

How do I find a ceiling joist under popcorn ceilings?....<mumble>..hate popcorn ceilings..<mumble>...

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

mtbr member
    Asuming there are lights in the ceiling. To the right or left of where the light is mounted, take a nail and hit it into the ceiling. The junction box is most likely mounted to a joist. If it's not for some reason, find an outlet on the wall. Same thing as before. Right...Left... If you find one in the wall the ceiling joist should be right above the stud. Fahn

mtbr member
    May 2006
    With a studfinder. A deep ranging model like this one may be needed because of the popcorn. However you are going to get rid of the popcorn, right?

Pocket Pool Savant

Naw, gotta hang some crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Beermaker
    With a studfinder. A deep ranging model like this one may be needed because of the popcorn. However you are going to get rid of the popcorn, right?

I'm trying to hang some stuff in my garage, and my McMansion has a "finished" garage. I would've liked bare studs myself.

Thanks
    AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Use a magnet to find the head of the screws or nails used to hang the drywall or lathboards. I have one that is encased in hard white plastic that leaves no marks. It is sold at home depot, but it is part of a system used for baby-proofing drawers called 'tot-lock' and the magnet is the 'key'. Just buy one of those and you have my favorite stud finder.

When you 'find' the nail or screw, you can just leave it there and measure over to it.

After years of doing this, you also just know where you are mostly to find a stud or you can lightly tap on a ceiling or wall and locate them that way.

But for those not used to doing that, the 'tot-lock' magnet is super simple, easy and leaves no marks that you don't want to be there.

Members who have read this thread: 0