The wave of bike newbs with no helmets is getting annoying - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    I you're measuring your distance or speed in kilometers it doesn't count.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I you're measuring your distance or speed in kilometers it doesn't count.
    What about metres of elevation?

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Can we all just refer to the "wave of bike newbs with no helmets" as the wave of mutilation? I mean the end result might be the same as the song.

no shyt...my band has always done a cover of this song...and no one ever recognizes it...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygz View Post
    The lack of comprehension is exceedingly strong in this one.
    *I* have a lack of comprehension? YOU are the one stating helemets cause more injury than than NOT wearing one in a crash, based on tests of helmets from 30 years ago. YOU are the one stating that your helmet was damaged in a 40MPH crash and therefore it was useless.

Not to mention that part of your argument against the efficacy of helmets includes a broken hip. Oddly, my helmet didn't help prevent the injury to my finger that got broken in a crash.

Laughable

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    *I* have a lack of comprehension? YOU are the one stating helemets cause more injury than than NOT wearing one in a crash, based on tests of helmets from 30 years ago. YOU are the one stating that your helmet was damaged in a 40MPH crash and therefore it was useless.

Not to mention that part of your argument against the efficacy of helmets includes a broken hip. Oddly, my helmet didn't help prevent the injury to my finger that got broken in a crash.

Laughable
    Once again, you fail to disappoint

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I think each to their own..
    Personally i would wear a helmet when on a gritty downhill or trees, but not for just commuting around town and popping a few wheelies.
    In my family i dont like wearing a seatbelt unless i am going real fast.
    I am the only one who has never ever had an accident.
    Ps my brother in law, has a mountain bike, a real good one, all the gear and helmet, he took a small trail busted his colarbone..
    All you old doods who didnt learn to jump and wheelie and drop off and bunnyhop when a child, should helmet up even if you are just rolling down your drive...as its clear that the skill and awareness is built whilst a child.
    For those of us who rode when children...we know darn well when we do or dont need a helmet.
    like i said, beginners especially if you are older than a child, need to helmet up everywhere, as you cant be trusted on 2 wheels or 1 wheel and have very little awareness.
    but the old bmx boys...you know your game, and also have eyes on everyone and everything ..so wear it only when you need it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's true, you won't have an accident. Until you do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rundown thomas View Post
    Personally i would wear a helmet when on a gritty downhill or trees, but not for just commuting around town and popping a few wheelies.
    Ps my brother in law, has a mountain bike, a real good one, all the gear and helmet, he took a small trail busted his colarbone..
    All you old doods who didnt learn to jump and wheelie and drop off and bunnyhop when a child, should helmet up even if you are just rolling down your drive...as its clear that the skill and awareness is built whilst a child.
    For those of us who rode when children...we know darn well when we do or dont need a helmet.
    like i said, beginners especially if you are older than a child, need to helmet up everywhere, as you cant be trusted on 2 wheels or 1 wheel and have very little awareness.
    but the old bmx boys...you know your game, and also have eyes on everyone and everything ..so wear it only when you need it.
    So cool. I wish I knew when I was going to fall on my head.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by rundown thomas View Post
    Though it depends on your definition of "real fast", likely at that speed you will die or be seriously injured in a crash even with a seatbelt and, a lot of the speeds below that you will die or be seriously injured without a seat belt and very possibly not die/be injured if you had been wearing one. Cars really create that illusion of safety that speedy mentioned. You should study physics more and stop kidding yourself.

Probably most of the posters in this thread rode as a kid; I know I did.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Probably most of the posters in this thread rode as a kid; I know I did.
    Agreed. I'd go so far as to say that the overwhelming majority of us rode as kids. I don't ride for fitness; I'm chasing my inner 12 year old.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This thread has so many odd responses in it. I just don't understand the value of NOT wearing a helmet.

A few years back I was riding my 'cross bike on some pavement path loops with a sidewalk connector. I encountered a jogger on the sidewalk and with no room to pass I hopped off the sidewalk into the grass, passed, and then went to hop back onto the sidewalk. At the point I did this the sidewalk was about 4 inches higher than the ground and my unaware and unskilled behind didn't account for it and got my rear tire hung up on the sidewalk lip. I did a barrel roll, bounced my head off the ground, thankfully in the grass on the other side of the sidewalk, un-clipped and kind of ran out it. All that resulted was a brake lever needing repositioning, a scared jogger, and me laughing at the absurdity of it all.

Now I am sort of sure I would not have been severely injured without the helmet but there is no way I would want to find that out. I had no intention of falling on this ride, nor any on pavement or otherwise, but you never know and I have never once felt like a helmet held me back. With people, cars, animals, and whatever else is out there you are fooling yourself if you think you are completely in control.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Watched a guy yesterday on some awful looking rigid e-fatbike contraption go sending it down a flowtrail without a helmet yesterday. It was kind of entertaining in all honesty. He cased every jump (he looked like he was actively trying not to jump but couldn't reign in the e-bike or something). I'm pretty sure he made it down alive, thankfully.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    duh-lete?😀
    Cheers!
    Glen

2016 RMB Thunderbolt 750
    2016 RMB Blizzard 30
    2020 RMB Solo 50

CEO Product Failure

We the people ... Over stuffed gel saddle cover.

Riding yesterday with the wife. Came up on a pair of two bra's both sans helmets. First stepped off the trail, said hello, and seemed happy/relieved for the break. We pass him, nod and say hello. His "bra", takes off spinning, seat is about 5" too low, gym shorts flaying as he passionately pumps out 120rpm, he keeps looking back at us. I wave, I say "hey, no hurry, whenever we can pass is cool", he keeps frantically sprinting and turning back at us and sprinting and turning back at us, and WHAM!!! right into a tree. I should also mention, I was ringing my bell on my handlebar, sight lines were wide open and there was no over growth.

I ask if he was okay, his reply was he was having trouble "seeing us" because his radio (he had a radio/mp3 speaker tied to his handlebars) was too loud. I asked him if that was his buddy back there, he replied "yes". I mentioned it may be good idea to wear a helmet, he said his was back at the TH in the car and it was too hot to wear.

Side note: I had a really hard time not laughing during this entire encounter. Yes, a little annoying but since there's no injuries, it was super funny. Also, I purposely asked him 3 questions. The wife and I have first aid / NMBP training. The questions were to assist in diagnosing a head injury. Sadly the head injury may have been a pre-existing condition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Way back motorcylists didn't wear helmets. I believe it was in the early 90's that actor Gary Busey hit his head real good and it got a lot of media attention. Lots of anti-helmet debate. My mother followed the story and called me to make sure I was wearing my helmets - I was biking & cycling.

I never questioned wearing a helmet it was always how much helmet - lid or full face. My wife does Trauma registry and told me a lot of cyclist head injuries can happen during slow speed impacts. I can attest to that fact, very slow speed entrance into a rock garden followed by too much brake and I was going over the bars head first. Cracked my helmet but walked away w/ a few bruises.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Riding yesterday with the wife. Came up on a pair of two bra's both sans helmets. First stepped off the trail, said hello, and seemed happy/relieved for the break. We pass him, nod and say hello. His "bra", takes off spinning, seat is about 5" too low, gym shorts flaying as he passionately pumps out 120rpm, he keeps looking back at us. I wave, I say "hey, no hurry, whenever we can pass is cool", he keeps frantically sprinting and turning back at us and sprinting and turning back at us, and WHAM!!! right into a tree. I should also mention, I was ringing my bell on my handlebar, sight lines were wide open and there was no over growth.

I ask if he was okay, his reply was he was having trouble "seeing us" because his radio (he had a radio/mp3 speaker tied to his handlebars) was too loud. I asked him if that was his buddy back there, he replied "yes". I mentioned it may be good idea to wear a helmet, he said his was back at the TH in the car and it was too hot to wear.

Side note: I had a really hard time not laughing during this entire encounter. Yes, a little annoying but since there's no injuries, it was super funny. Also, I purposely asked him 3 questions. The wife and I have first aid / NMBP training. The questions were to assist in diagnosing a head injury. Sadly the head injury may have been a pre-existing condition.
    awesome!!! The whole scenario...

I must have been in the minority in that I grew up in the 70'/80's riding BMX with a helmet. The helmet was part of the "cool factor" where we lived. It is where you put all of your stickers, and the amount of damage on it was a badge of experience. Your helmet and your number plate were your total identity

I won't get on a bike w/o a helmet. Never have, never will.

Hell, I wear my elbow pads underneath my sweater and my hockey helmet when I go to open skates at the ice rink...I am prepared for when all of the non-skaters cut me off.

LET IT SNOW!

Up In Smoke
    One of the fastest guys in my area is a champion bmx racer....Only time I see him with a helmet is when he's on the bmx track. It's none of my business to tell him anything but I wouldn't ride with him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    People who "know" when they need a helmet are like the people who "know" when they will or will not need a sidearm for personal protection when they go out in public...
    I wish I could get some valid stock predictions from these people who know the future...

Rippin da fAt
    People who "know" when they need a helmet are like the people who "know" when they will or will not need a sidearm for personal protection when they go out in public...
    I wish I could get some valid stock predictions from these people who know the future...
    Unfortunately, they will not share lotto info either...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    was gonna rep you, but "must spread it around..."

So here is a green Chicklet!!! Such truth...much observation!

LET IT SNOW!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Wait am I the only one who goes everywhere in full tactical gear with helmet publicly displaying my strap? C'mon guys, all safety all the time.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Wait am I the only one who goes everywhere in full tactical gear with helmet publicly displaying my strap? C'mon guys, all safety all the time.
    No mall Ninja here, but I don't leave home without...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I take my helmet off and strap it to my seat pack for slow, long uphill grinds up mountain passes. I just don't feel I'm at too much risk pedaling at 5 MPH for two hours.

I hate telling people what to do. Their helmet decisions have no real effect on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I take my helmet off and strap it to my seat pack for slow, long uphill grinds up mountain passes. I just don't feel I'm at too much risk pedaling at 5 MPH for two hours.

I hate telling people what to do. Their helmet decisions have no real effect on me.
    At 5 MPH you'd be flying past me up a mountain pass. I do the same thing for very long climbs, but I'm also incredibly slow. I think I've had slugs pass me.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Up In Smoke
    My dog and I almost got hit by some clown with no helmet, wearing flip flops, riding illegally on the sidewalk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    My dog and I almost got hit by some clown with no helmet, wearing flip flops, riding illegally on the sidewalk.
    Do i need to start a new thread about newbs wearing flip flops!?!?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Wasn't me. Honest
    The wave of bike newbs with no helmets is getting annoying-img_20200514_062722.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to speedygz again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Scott O again.

Trainwreck is on the lookout for speedygz gone rogue!
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    At 5 MPH you'd be flying past me up a mountain pass. I do the same thing for very long climbs, but I'm also incredibly slow. I think I've had slugs pass me.
    I would be watching him from the bottom...with my helmet on.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    You think I'm trying to show off or something? I guess it is uncommon and most people never get close to 40mph. My bad.
    Maybe more common that you think, on the flats. Have passed cars doing 40. Strangely, going downhill on the road at 40 mph scares the living crap out me, but off road my brain switches to stupid mode and it is perfectly fine. Always with a helmet. And if anyone wants to take a chance with their own egg shell, it's not my place to tell them otherwise.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    ... And if anyone wants to take a chance with their own egg shell, it's not my place to tell them otherwise.
    I only tell them that I will not stop to help them if they willingly don't wear a helmet, and crash. If they are "so smart" that they don't need a helmet, then they can probably fix their own bashed skull...

LET IT SNOW!

Beginner
    What are these people thinking: "Look at those obviously experienced cyclist wearing helmets, whatda they know? I haven't done this in decades and I'm not sure what I'm doing; obviously I don't need any safety gear, we never wore it as kids. I'm not planning to crash!"
    In their defense...

Nope, I got nothin'

mtbr member
    I saw a guy the other day riding down a local DH trail (fast) with his full face helmet strapped to his backpack. High end bike, too.

Should I start another thread?

Rider
    Every tree I pass on the trail almost got hit. I wonder what they say about me to their internet friends?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Do i need to start a new thread about newbs(speedygz) wearing flip flops!?!?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    Should I start another thread?
    You betcha

Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    I wonder what they say about me to their internet friends?
    You'll need to start a new thread

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    If I get really slow I get off and hike a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    I only tell them that I will not stop to help them if they willingly don't wear a helmet, and crash. If they are "so smart" that they don't need a helmet, then they can probably fix their own bashed skull...
    Could always just go on your way and mind your business; don't see why you'd feel the need to make an announcement.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Could always just go on your way and mind your business; don't see why you'd feel the need to make an announcement.
    That's so everyone can see your great importance, in the grand world of cycling.

Rippin da fAt
    Yep

You betcha

You'll need to start a new thread
    Train Wreck, you guys need to team up on a thread. Oughtta be entertaining!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Is wearing a helmet...but not buckled and tilted back...worse than not wearing a helmet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Is wearing a helmet...but not buckled and tilted back...worse than not wearing a helmet?
    It's like wearing a mask around your chin.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Train Wreck, you guys need to team up on a thread. Oughtta be entertaining!
    Aw naw man, can't put all your eggs in one basket. Unless of course, your eggs are your head, and that basket is your helmet. In that case, put 'em in there.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    well, Idon't stop and tell them that.

this conversation is usually between me and my 24 year old step son who thinks he is invincible...

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Every tree I pass on the trail almost got hit. I wonder what they say about me to their internet friends?
    freakin hilarious...

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    That's so everyone can see your great importance, in the grand world of cycling.
    nope. That is what my Surly Krampus is for...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Sounds like me riding in the neighborhood. Was he riding with his kids? LOL

Trail Ninja
    Some scientists believe plants can have feelings and memories too, despite not having a nervous system like animals.

One experiment: 1 group of plants that were verbally abused withered, while another group of plants that were complimented grew well, in conditions controlled to be as similar as possible.

Another experiment: sensitive plant that was dropped from a few feet onto pads was conditioned to no longer react to the sensation of falling. This memory was retained for months.

Who knows if they are similarly dramatizing things due to their limbic system equivalent.

I recall there being some wise saying that intellect is what calms the emotions and instincts. It's just that higher intelligence doesn't repeatedly make the same mistakes, and higher intellect acts on the realization there's much to learn to improve (not necessarily in a greedy and prideful way).

P.S. most of the Dutch don't wear helmets. They don't believe cycling is intrinsically dangerous. It's just that the environment is, and they believe that they created a safe one for cycling.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    why don't we see more newbs bodies on the trails?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    True that. The hospital's should be overflowing with brain damaged patients on life support by now, you would think

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Some scientists believe plants can have feelings and memories too, despite not having a nervous system like animals.

One experiment: 1 group of plants that were verbally abused withered, while another group of plants that were complimented grew well, in conditions controlled to be as similar as possible.

Another experiment: sensitive plant that was dropped from a few feet onto pads was conditioned to no longer react to the sensation of falling. This memory was retained for months.

Who knows if they are similarly dramatizing things due to their limbic system equivalent.

I recall there being some wise saying that intellect is what calms the emotions and instincts. It's just that higher intelligence doesn't repeatedly make the same mistakes, and higher intellect acts on the realization there's much to learn to improve (not necessarily in a greedy and prideful way).

P.S. most of the Dutch don't wear helmets. They don't believe cycling is intrinsically dangerous. It's just that the environment is, and they believe that they created a safe one for cycling.
    Proof that vegans are evil!!!

I also don't take the advice of people who wear wooden shoes. Flip flops? Yes. Wooden shoes, no.

mtbr member
    Because you're cannibalizing them before anyone can find the bodies?

Rippin da fAt
    I need a scotch, neat...

I think Picard has been having BBQ lately!
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    they probably limp themselves back out to their cars, never to return again...they just retreat to the paved trails

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Well, I have been seeing a lot of newbs bodies on the trails.
    They’re great for bunny hop practice.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    they probably limp themselves back out to their cars, never to return again...they just retreat to the paved trails
    After patching up their caved in skulls by the side of the trail, no doubt?

Snow Dog
    After patching up their caved in skulls by the side of the trail, no doubt?
    probably not even doing that...

We only had one casualty that i saw on the trail today. A younger girl, with helmet, must have lost control and hit her face on something. She came walking her bike the wrong direction back towards the trailhead with a bloody lip. The weird thing is that her and who I am assuming is her dad and brother passed us earlier, but they were no where to be found. Sadly, I feel like they were flying, and left her behind.

I asked if she was ok, but she just hurried her pace and went on. I probably embarrassed her. Her bike was way to big for her body size for sure, and looked brand new. Specialized something or other...I wonder if that was part of the problem

LET IT SNOW!

Trail Ninja
    Cycling is technically a solo sport. I expect that helmetless riders, who have not been conditioned to wear one, can sufficiently contort their body like a cat to arch their body and puts limbs out in a way that naturally/subconsciously prevents head impact. If it were a contact sport where others intrude into your comfort zone and can make you fall in a less predictable/expected manner, my opinion would be different.

I notice that when I ride with less gear, my balance feels quite different. It takes me a bit to get a feel for it again. When I ride close to my limit, I come close to crashing, seemingly due to not being tuned to having less weight (no helmet, no pads, and/or flimsier shoes). This near-crash sensation has me regretting not donning my usual gear, but it's more due to restore the balance I'm used to, as if it gives me more stability and confidence in the rough through predictability.

You get used to what you usually run... I've taken this advice pretty far, wearing full gear full time, and find that my adaptation is quite drama-free. I can be wearing what I usually do in the winter, and be totally fine on a hot summer day (not using the gloves I wear for freezing temp). I might find my long sleeves powdered with white stuff from dried sweat, but my performance is within expectations.

Cycologist
    Cycling is technically a solo sport. I expect that helmetless riders, who have not been conditioned to wear one, can sufficiently contort their body like a cat to arch their body and puts limbs out in a way that naturally/subconsciously prevents head impact. If it were a contact sport where others intrude into your comfort zone and can make you fall in a less predictable/expected manner, my opinion would be different.
    This may be true at slower speeds but doesn't hold up at higher ones. It's like the person who says their baby doesn't need to be in a car seat; holding him in my lap is safer as I'll hold onto him and protect him if there is a crash. Physics says otherwise.

So if the rider adjusts their speed and risk taking to compensate for not wearing a helmet, sure. But a big part of mountain biking is the less predictable/expected surface that we ride on. It's not like road biking where you have a pretty consistent surface to deal with. And as speed goes up, it's very easy to get into something that is not expected. I have plenty of crashes where I'm not going very fast and I do have cat like reactions and would probably be fine without a helmet. But as I mentioned previously, my last crash was at around 25 mph and due to a loss of traction (I think) and physics got the better of me.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    This may be true at slower speeds but doesn't hold up at higher ones. It's like the person who says their baby doesn't need to be in a car seat; holding him in my lap is safer as I'll hold onto him and protect him if there is a crash. Physics says otherwise.

So if the rider adjusts their speed and risk taking to compensate for not wearing a helmet, sure. But a big part of mountain biking is the less predictable/expected surface that we ride on. It's not like road biking where you have a pretty consistent surface to deal with. And as speed goes up, it's very easy to get into something that is not expected. I have plenty of crashes where I'm not going very fast and I do have cat like reactions and would probably be fine without a helmet. But as I mentioned previously, my last crash was at around 25 mph and due to a loss of traction (I think) and physics got the better of me.
    Truer words have never been spoken. I’ve had a lot of crashes from a crawl pace to Mach I speeds. One can get hurt just as bad going slow as going fast in our sport. As you said it’s the varied terrain that can make or break ones day. As I sit here with bruised [i hope] ribs and pectoral muscle from a speed between the two I mentioned above. Varied terrain and not being on your game, luckily I was and am smart enough to wear a helmet every time I swing a leg over a bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

I notice that when I ride with less gear, my balance feels quite different. It takes me a bit to get a feel for it again. When I ride close to my limit, I come close to crashing, seemingly due to not being tuned to having less weight (no helmet, no pads, and/or flimsier shoes). This near-crash sensation has me regretting not donning my usual gear, but it's more due to restore the balance I'm used to, as if it gives me more stability and confidence in the rough through predictability.

You get used to what you usually run... I've taken this advice pretty far, wearing full gear full time, and find that my adaptation is quite drama-free. I can be wearing what I usually do in the winter, and be totally fine on a hot summer day (not using the gloves I wear for freezing temp). I might find my long sleeves powdered with white stuff from dried sweat, but my performance is within expectations.

Confusing yet amusing. Cat-like reflexes?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken. I’ve had a lot of crashes from a crawl pace to Mach I speeds. One can get hurt just as bad going slow as going fast in our sport. As you said it’s the varied terrain that can make or break ones day. As I sit here with bruised [i hope] ribs and pectoral muscle from a speed between the two I mentioned above. Varied terrain and not being on your game, luckily I was and am smart enough to wear a helmet every time I swing a leg over a bike.
    Yes.
    It just amazes me (but shouldn’t, I know)
    that this is even a topic of discussion.
    I’ve had two severe concussions in my life,
    both times knocking me completely out for several minutes. And both were from low speed, but “high angle” falls where the head is high off the ground, then levered sort of like a hammer strike. The first was a backwards fall while ice skating (no helmet),
    the 2nd was a low speed (under10 mph) dirt bike crash while wearing an ill-fitting (much too large) low-tech helmet from the 1960’s.
    In nearly 3 decades of avid , pretty hard-core
    mtb’ing, I can say a helmet has only been
    REALLY protective for me one time. That was also a low speed event, but happened so fast (as bicycle crashes tend to do) that my “cat-like “ reflexes didn’t get my arms out at all while I went OTB face first into the dirt, sliding into the base of a tree, resulting in a broken helmet. And I was damn glad I was wearing a helmet.
    In this day and age, where we are actually starting to understand the long term effects of even “minor” head injuries, how the hell
    does anyone justify not protecting their most important body part???
    1. Vanity- “I look so cool with my backwards ball cap”.
    2.Discomfort- well yeah, especially if you buy a cheap, ill fitting one and don’t give enough time to get used to it.
    3.Flat-Earther -style thinking regarding
    the effectiveness of well designed helmets
    and the understanding that they do have their limitations.

mtbr member
    The decision to ride with out a helmet makes me think of the current phenomenon of so many people refusing to wear masks in public to prevent spreading covid-19. The analogy isn't perfect, but both situations require denying/defying proven science. I call it the "You can't tell me what to do, dammit" frame of mind. "I don't like it and that's all that matters".

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    The decision to ride with out a helmet makes me think of the current phenomenon of so many people refusing to wear masks in public to prevent spreading covid-19. The analogy isn't perfect, but both situations require denying/defying proven science. I call it the "You can't tell me what to do, dammit" frame of mind. "I don't like it and that's all that matters".

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gasp4Air again.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Confusing yet amusing. Cat-like reflexes?

1:00 in for an example.

mtbr member

1:00 in for an example.

Well that proves it for me. Helmet in trash.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Big Mac
    Lol. Sadly, you’re just so right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I’ve almost gotten concussions while climbing and never leaving the bike.

They were enough to ring my bell for the end of the day. A low hanging oak tree is a hard thing to hit.

On another note. My least favorite thing is people in Masks on Bikes with no helmet.

Trail Ninja
    Reflexes mostly only can be relied upon for flat even surfaces. In a fall, any increase of elevation (e.g. grade reversal or obstacle) on the ground where you land, from the armpit up, of more than a few inches and you'd have to have strength training for your neck and upper body to avoid serious head injury and practiced falling/rolling technique (e.g. training like martial arts with ground techniques).

Newbies on graded paths are generally safe besides from collision with traffic. Trails that undulate are risky to ride without helmet. No surprise that those who race BMX, pump track, 4X, etc, generally opt for more head protection.

Generally not speed that presents the danger. You can tell how serious a fall is by how suddenly a person's body decelerates to a stop (how hard they splat). If they're spinning, rolling, bouncing, sliding, etc and still look like their muscles are in tension, then the crash impact energy is being properly managed to be equivalent to multiple low speed crashes. High speed falls naturally initiate such moves; it's not luck that they didn't get hurt any worse, it's just poor understanding of how dangerous speed is and inaccurate expectations. Can tell head injury severity by any pause in getting the head off the ground.

Somewhat related: I've had a large branch fall on me, that got deflected by my helmet. I was riding mid-pack and a rider ahead of me pushed an oddly hanging low branch out of his way, and it ended up falling. It fell bushy end first, and only the thinner parts really hit me. The guy profusely apologized to me, but no real harm was done and no fault, but it was quite the eye opener to dangers in the backcountry (they're nicknamed widowmakers in the forestry world).

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Riding without a helmet is completely negligent. A helmet has saved my head from being split open like an egg once and ground into rocky terrain two other times. I’d never ride without a helmet.

Snow Dog
    almost all of my bigger crashes were due to going too slow...

...over an obstacle
    ...over the edge of the trail due to the wrong line
    ...not allowing me to clear something
    ...off the edge of a skinny

and in ALL of those situations, I hit my head at some point in the aftermath.

I always have a helmet on. Even on the slowest, most leisurely paved trail ride with the wife. On the hottest day of the year.

Because of other people...

I also usually ride with the same gear on for the same reason as Varaxis...it feels weird to not have it all on

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    and those types are also always the ones who whine the loudest and try to spread blame the quickest when something bad happens to them...lawsuits arise. Sympathy is demanded. Stupidity is ignored....ugh

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    Riding without a helmet is completely negligent. A helmet has saved my head from being split open like an egg once and ground into rocky terrain two other times. I’d never ride without a helmet.
    you are in the majority...

most of us agree!!

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So what. Better to be out riding.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Had a helmet save me from an impact with a tree.

Still, those events are very unlikely for average riders.

People jumping on a bike today are likely trying to get exercise due to idiotic lock down rules, e.g., You can ride your bike in wet sand but not dry, and okay to ride helmetless to a BLM protest.

People adjust their behavior based on risks. Sadly, the dumb Fu ck consultant s that CDC employs are not aware of reality.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Had a helmet save me from an impact with a tree.

Still, those events are very unlikely for average riders.

People jumping on a bike today are likely trying to get exercise due to idiotic lock down rules, e.g., You can ride your bike in wet sand but not dry, and okay to ride helmetless to a BLM protest.

People adjust their behavior based on risks. Sadly, the dumb Fu ck consultant s that CDC employs are not aware of reality.

or maybe the dumb Fu ck/selfish/impatient/entitled/under-educated/social media zombie public is not aware of the reality that the CDC is trying to bring to light...but what do i know, they are just scientists...and I digress...

not trying to wax political here, but am definitely tired of the CDC-"reality based on fact" bashing that is happening in this country

I know this sounds crazy, but I would go with science and say wear a helmet.

LET IT SNOW!

Rippin da fAt
    or maybe the dumb Fu ck/selfish/impatient/entitled/under-educated/social media zombie public is not aware of the reality that the CDC is trying to bring to light...but what do i know, they are just scientists...and I digress...

not trying to wax political here, but am definitely tired of the CDC-"reality based on fact" bashing that is happening in this country

I know this sounds crazy, but I would go with science and say wear a helmet.
    Might not try to wax political, how about waxing your car?
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    Might not try to wax political, how about waxing your car?
    but it will just get dirty again....

definitely going to try wax on my chain though....

LET IT SNOW!

Rippin da fAt
    but it will just get dirty again....

definitely going to try wax on my chain though....
    Mr. Miagi is going to be disappointed in you!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Saw a guy on an e bike today with what looked like a WWII M1 helmet. I guess its good that at least he's wearing a helmet. Also saw another lady on an e bike with no helmet, tank top, and jogging pants. To these new e bike riders...mountain biking is nothing more than a novelty. Since they have a motor to assist them...it removes the majority of the effort it takes to get up there.

Snow Dog
    Mr. Miagi is going to be disappointed in you!
    ooh yeah. Forgot about what that dude would say!!!

LET IT SNOW!

Rippin da fAt
    Wax on, wax off, Danielsan...

And in the first episode, Danielsan was riding an early Mongoose Coz Cruiser. Classic bike from the early days, prior to Mongoose going Wally World.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

And in the first episode, Danielsan was riding an early Mongoose Coz Cruiser. Classic bike from the early days, prior to Mongoose going Wally World.
    Wth!!
    In 80s movies, even the "poor kid" had a better bike than I did when I was young!!

I must have been poorer than I thought.

mtbr member
    I always thought it was "whacks on, whacks off". Sheesh.

And few know that those bikes were at the top of the full squish game at the time. With connections to AMP Research / Manitou suspension designs.

Here I sit waiting my turn at an Urgent Care. An over the bars crash on Thursday resulted in what I think are a couple of fractured ribs. I was wearing my helmet at the time so my head seems fine. At least no worse than prior to this crash.

mtbr member
    Here I sit waiting my turn at an Urgent Care. An over the bars crash on Thursday resulted in what I think are a couple of fractured ribs. I was wearing my helmet at the time so my head seems fine. At least no worse than prior to this crash.
    I had a similiar experience on Friday.

OTB after landing a (small) jump. Launched me over the bars resulting in a dented helmet, multiple bruises, sore neck, likely concussion and a possible wrist fracture.

Had I not been wearing a helmet, I likely would have fractured my skull.

Luckily the bike was unharmed as it landed on top of me.

Rippin da fAt
    Forgot your chest helmet again, didn't ya DJ!! I heard the doc is searching for some vacuum tubes for ya...
    Doctor recommended...

Trail Ninja
    They make bikes with new fangled geo to lower risk of those crashes.

Old geo's fine if you're sitting in the saddle all the time, but getting out of the saddle shifts a lot more weight on the front wheel that leads to those OTB moments, if you don't adapt by getting weight back and carrying more momentum.

New geo is more newb friendly, paradoxically, making it seem like they're crazy for getting air and riding steeps that took old schoolers years of baby steps for confidence-building to progress to. Don't need as much speed nor as much weight shift technique to keep the front wheel level in the air off of drops, for example.

Big Mac
    Forgot your chest helmet again, didn't ya DJ!! I heard the doc is searching for some vacuum tubes for ya...
    Not sure a chest helmet would have done much for his ribs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bummer DJ, but how is the bike?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post

My DH gear bag has a chest protector in it, that one piece of gear has kept the rib damage from being a thing.
    Dainese makes some nice protective gear, don'tcha know.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    This would work. Ready for trail maintenance (or zombies) as well.

Name:  9822384_ori.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  20.7 KB

Snow Dog

love that bike. Never saw any of those here in Ohio back then...just in magazines

LET IT SNOW!

love that bike. Never saw any of those here in Ohio back then...just in magazines
    There was one in the front window of my LBS in San Diego that just happened to be a couple blocks from my front door. I did or did not drool more than once on that window.

Rippin da fAt
    I had a 24" back in the day and still have a 26. Needs a good resto but is complete.
    Doctor recommended...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I suggest wearing a helmet 100% of the time while reading MTBR, as the level of stupid found here can hurt anyone’s head.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Ha ha ha. Because I'm a bit older, I'm not up with the current trend setters lingo, so I've no idea what you're actually talking about. But, seeing that you included that photo in your quote, I'll assume it's something to do with that bike. Which, isn't actually my bike. It's actually one I borrowed, while on holidays in another country, to go check out some trails in the hills behind our accommodation. So no, I didn't try & break it, or ride it particularly aggressively. If you care to look a little bit closer, you'll also see the removable kiddie trailer hitch, or whatever it is still mounted to the frame. Oh the shame. How could a macho, red blooded MTB cool dude lower themselves to that level? Lol. I still had fun
    Nice bit of selective editing by the way. And assumptions too. Good work.
    Personally, I couldn't care less what you wear when riding. You could ride in a 2 piece bikini for all I care. But, when you start telling us all about how that little blob of Polystyrene is somehow helpful as you ride around banging your head on trees & things, don't be surprised if someone makes a comment in regards to how ludicrous that mind set is.
    I've nothing against bike helmets. In winter. They're quite good at keeping your head warm. But come spring/summer/autumn, it's baseball cap all the way
    I ride a Yeti SB6c and have no idea what a dork disc is.

Rippin da fAt
    I can strongly, very strongly advise, keeping Titanium components on your bike. Rather than body.
    Here’s a shot of me testing out those Ti components on my MTB, a few weeks after surgery, complete with crutches strapped to my back. I’m sitting on my bike, my portly frame & camera angle is just hiding it
    Speedy, you need to change your shopping habits! The loco surgeons are insanely expensive sources of Ti. My stent is a $24,000 Ti piece that doesn't fit any of my bikes. :/
    Doctor recommended...

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Except the cost for emergency services, rescue services, life insurance, lawsuits against the landowner for "trail features" and other "unsafe conditions", hospital bills that get passed on to society, lack of ability to support the family, and so on...

If the person did it on their own private island, then sure, it wouldn't affect anyone.

If they were at least taking some responsibility for their actions, they'd be carrying around a DNR card and let everyone in their group know about it, as well as make sure it's easily retrievable. Set up trust funds for their kids, you know, actually take responsibility for the decision, rather than passing the crap on to everyone else that has to deal with it when they die or go comatose.

No respect for these people that claim to be making "their own decisions" that are just passing the crap on to those of us in society that are the ones that have to deal with the fallout.
    Just reposting this because is does apply not only to biking but to so much more.
    Thank you for posting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I wonder how effect helmets actually are? Or are they like knee pads, only really make a difference in a minor fall.
    A hard enough impact will still result in a concussion, neck injury, etc. But, as you say, the padding and the new MIPS will reduce the damage. Helmets really shine in blood prevention. Rocks, branches, roadside barriers will all rip a scalp open with an amazing amount of blood. Perhaps the risk of spending months with a big shaved patch on their head would be an incentive to wear a helmet.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Speedy, you need to change your shopping habits! The loco surgeons are insanely expensive sources of Ti. My stent is a $24,000 Ti piece that doesn't fit any of my bikes. :/
    I'm trying, I can assure you. I've also got, or had, some little bits of Titanium wire that were in my busted up foot, holding all the bones/joints in line, from a few years back. Looked just like your average, stock standard Titanium welding filler wire. I saw the bill for that, & it was horrific. In the 10's of thousands of $$ from memory. P!ss poor value for sure. If only pickup/4wd drivers would stop running into me while I'm simply minding my own business, I'd be a much happier person, & might have a couple of extra bucks to tip into a Ti bike/components

Rippin da fAt
    I'm trying, I can assure you. I've also got, or had, some little bits of Titanium wire that were in my busted up foot, holding all the bones/joints in line, from a few years back. Looked just like your average, stock standard Titanium welding filler wire. I saw the bill for that, & it was horrific. In the 10's of thousands of $$ from memory. P!ss poor value for sure. If only pickup/4wd drivers would stop running into me while I'm simply minding my own business, I'd be a much happier person, & might have a couple of extra bucks to tip into a Ti bike/components
    Every time my bike wants to go shopping so I don't have more Ti than my bike!
    Doctor recommended...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12