Warm up before riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Warm up before riding?

I was really tired before todays ride...figured id go anyway and just get some miles even if it wasnt a hard workout.

I took it really easy the first three miles and didnt have a ton of energy. Around mile 5 i had lots of power and was able to bump up my pace significantly for the remaining 5 miles. All i can think is that my muscles had "warmed up" so to speak.

Ive had this happen a few other times when it seemed like i had half ass power for the first few miles of a ride.

Ayone else have this happen? If so what do you do before a race?

T.W.O.
    Have you tried doping?
    I usually stretch, and spend the first 15-20 mins going easy and once I find my rhythm I can power it up a bit more, but someday it just does not happen. I warm up about 20-30min before the race I try to time it so that I have 5-10min before the race start.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I spend usually 20 - 30 minutes stretching before I ride. After that I do only 30 push-ups. At that point I am ready to go. My average ride distance is 30 miles, however, the average altitude gain is more than 3,500 feet (my regular ride—3 times per week—gains 5,200 feet and is 36.2 miles). The more you warm up before a ride, the better you feel for the entire duration of your ride.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I ride to the trailhead. It's slightly downhill all four miles there, except for the very last minute or so, and all this is on a singlespeed. Nothing better for a warm-up than spinning like crazy. I do roughly the same four-mile route on my road bike before I take a different turn away from the trailhead, so that helps to get my heart rate up and my muscles all nice and warm before I start riding too much.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    I ride to the trailhead.
    Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to mention that all my rides (except for the last two races this Sunday and last Sunday which I drove to/from) involved riding to/from the trails. Roughly 6 - 8 miles to the trails from my house (depending on which trail system I am riding), so it adds to the warmup routined.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0