Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bikesexual
    That makes me wonder, people buying bikes at Walmart, are they really looking for carbon fiber frames?
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I had a friend who wanted to get into mountain biking with his grandson. i politely explained the two bike industries thing. He bought them both *mart bikes. A little while later, he told me I was right and he went and bought LBS bikes.
    Yeah, the Wally bikes are meant to be utilitarian and serve a purpose, but can't withstand too much of a hammering.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    That makes me wonder, people buying bikes at Walmart, are they really looking for carbon fiber frames?

They are, department stores have always shaped their bikes to resemble Treks or Specialized that cost 10x more.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Yeah, the Wally bikes are meant to be utilitarian and serve a purpose, but can't withstand too much of a hammering.
    Serve a purpose, yes but utilitarian? Not IME, they are all lipstick.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    My store still has the same carbon bike in stock, not exactly flying off the shelves... maybe when summer is in full swing.
    $400 isn't cheap for a BSO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Especially when the ER bill comes.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Preferred entry-level BSO:
    aluminum frame; whole bike cannot weigh more than 35 lbs total with pedals $variable
    tire size (height) doesn't really matter at this level $60-100
    tire width should be at least 2.1 inches
    hardtail; fork can either be rigid or cheap coil 80-100mm $40-70
    3x8 cassette-based drivetrain (let's not get too cute at this bike level) $variable
    Wheelset around $125-155 or in-home one for cheaper
    Shimano M-355 Hydraulic Brake system $70
    last but not least, $35 for a separate 3x8 speed shifter system, since the original one has shifters/brakes integrated and you have to separate that for the hydraulic brake shifters

Now let's see what price range that's in: $400-700. It's as low a price range as the carbon fiber bike that is in this thread. Weight is around the same as the OP's bike. Drivetrain is better due to cassette system. Fork probably the same (air fork plus LBS labor can be as low as a $200 upgrade). Tires and brakes better. The preferred BSO above CAN BE DONE and it is being done, by many manufacturers, including SE, Giant, Motobecane, Diamondback, and Raleigh.
    You just described bikes you can find at my LBS. Of course, assembled by actual cyclists, with warranty, support, etc.

mtbr member
    Whatís BSO stand for? Box store something?

You can get entry level Rockhopper for 450 that can do it all and has great geometry! Walmartians arenít looking for that they are the people that put monster stickers on everything...

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    BSO = Bicycle Shaped Object
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

2x is underrated

What is your definition of where a BSO turns into a real entry-level bike?

My definition (all hardtails):
    Grade F: $150-450, rim or cheap mechanical disk brakes, heavy steel or aluminum frame, no QR skewers, 3x6 or 3x7 freewheel system, 60-80mm heavy, crappy steel coil fork. BSO.

Grade E: $250-450, at least mechanical disk brakes (some have low-end hydraulics), aluminum frame (total bike weight 35 lbs or less), 3x8 cassette system, 80-100 mm aluminum coil fork. Still BSO but fork and brake upgrade can bring it up to entry-level.

Grade D: $400-700, all lower-end hydraulic brakes, aluminum frame (usually 30-32 lbs total), 3x8 or 3x9 drivetrain, 100mm coil fork. Entry level especially after air fork upgrade.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

2x is underrated
    Check out this carbon-fiber BSO:

https://smile.amazon.com/BEIOU-Mount...%22&th=1&psc=1

$1289 is pretty expensive for a BSO, eh? 24 lbs with pedals. A big gamble of course, buying from China with no verifiable warranty. Add better brakes, wider tires, and take off the 3rd chainring and this BSO doesn't look too bad. It just might be my next bike. 24 lbs is just too good to pass up.

Model: BO-CB020
    Finish: 3K Matte Coloful
    Material: Toray T800 Carbon Fiber
    Frame Size: 17"/19"
    Wheel Size: 27.5"/29"
    Frame: Beiou Carbon Fiber Unibody Frame
    Flat Handlebar: BEIOU Carbon Fiber integrated body /600mm/31.8mm
    Seat Post: BEIOU Carbon Fiber integrated body/350mm/31.6mm
    Speed Control System: SHIMANO DEORE M610 3x10S
    Derailleur lever: SHIMANO DEORE M610 FD-M611
    Front derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE M610 RD-M610
    Rear derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE M610 SL-M610
    Braking System: SHIMANO M315/M335 dual hydraulic disc braking
    Brake Type: Hidden Disc Brake
    Fork: UDING DH32 27.5" Air Suspension Fork / UDING 29" Air Suspension Fork
    Cable Routing: Internal Cable Routing
    Crankset: Prowheel integrated crankset
    Cassette Sprockets: SUNRACE MTB cassette 10S
    Cycle Chain: YBN 10S
    Wheelset: RT 27.5 / 29 professional MTB wheelset with CARBON HUBS
    Tire: MAXXIS 27.5*2.10 65psi / CHAOYANG FALCON 29*2.10 60TPI
    Saddle: BEIOU Black-Red Mountain Trial Saddle
    Bike Weight: 10.7kg/ 11.8kg (not include the pedals)
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    $1289 is pretty expensive for a BSO, eh?

Well there's a sucker born every minute

jk, but don't do it! You can do much better. 600mm bars?

No way does that weigh 24 lbs.
    I brake for stinkbugs

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Well there's a sucker born every minute

jk, but don't do it! You can do much better. 600mm bars?

No way does that weigh 24 lbs.

Yes, I know, play it safe, get something like the Diamondback Mason 27.5+, 28 lbs for $1400. You know what, and I swear this is true: if someone bought me a nicer bike in the $1-2K level, or I won a raffle, or got a gift certificate to a bike store, etc., I'd keep the new bike in the garage and continue on with my cheap bikes until they either broke or I finished learning how to ride them. Seriously. I'm not ready for a real bike yet. Osco said in the beginner form that a $500 bike can do more than most beginners will ever know. I think he's 110% correct. So that's the goal for now: find out exactly what a $500 bike can and cannot do before getting something nicer. I'm having a blast learning, don't worry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have had three different Chinese carbon frames none have failed.

If you go read all the manufacturer forums then go read the Chinese forum you will find a higher failure rate on the brand name frames.

The Chinese tend to over build their frames and use more t700 carbon which is stronger weighs more and is less stiff and flexes more.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    I have had three different Chinese carbon frames none have failed.

If you go read all the manufacturer forums then go read the Chinese forum you will find a higher failure rate on the brand name frames.

The Chinese tend to over build their frames and use more t700 carbon which is stronger weighs more and is less stiff and flexes more.

It would be a really interesting experiment to buy this $400 bike and upgrade it, but I prefer 27.5 so I'll do it that way for my next bike. BEIOU has $369-550 carbon frames in all sizes; Savadeck has a 27.5 frame for only $340, I will most likely roll the dice with that one. And if the frame cracks I'll let everyone know. I doubt it will with XC riding, it will probably do just fine for years.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida View Post
    No, if your claims above are to be believed, you're not doing the same trails.
    Nishiki Colorado Comp 27.5 plus, $400 at Dick's a couple months ago... I think the guy who made the video is riding trails far more difficult that you are complaining about others on box store bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKVG8SJmso

As to the Hyper Carbon, if you watched the followup videos (there's five total including the original video) from KevCentral, you'll see its actually a 27.5 frame and they simply used a 26er wheelset as a cost saving, it is real carbon, and Hyper has said Walmart requested a carbon bike at a specific price point and that drove the component selection. But its a 135mm QR skewer frame with a 44mm cup headtube and BSA thread BB shell that weighs 2 Ibs 11 1/2 oz with the headset cups and seatpost clamp/QR and its definitely upgradeable. The first video briefly passes over a sticker on the frame which gives the max rider weight as 275 pounds (its at the 9 min mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5KX...a9NTkD36_kXLum
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    No chance that BSO is 24lbs. my rigid, full carbon frame, fork. bars, cranks with xo1 1x11 and XT brakes is 24lbs

its a 29er though, i see the 29er there is 27lbs. 3 POUNDS more than 27.5?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It would be a really interesting experiment to buy this $400 bike and upgrade it, but I prefer 27.5 so I'll do it that way for my next bike. BEIOU has $369-550 carbon frames in all sizes; Savadeck has a 27.5 frame for only $340, I will most likely roll the dice with that one. And if the frame cracks I'll let everyone know. I doubt it will with XC riding, it will probably do just fine for years.
    The basic frames on eBay are down to 275$ range now.

Land of the 230+
    I have also had multiple chinese carbon frames without any structural issues at all. Even at my weight. I've sheared a pivot bolt and cracked a cartridge bearing in half, but never had a problem with the carbon layup.

Considering that there are plenty of similar chinese carbon frames on ebay and aliexpress in the 225-250 range, its not too hard to imagine walmart might be able to get similar frames in the sub 200 range thanks to the economies of scale. The components seem to be on par with $150 big box bikes.

If the walmart carbon frames are even half as strong as the chinese carbon from the likes of xm-carbonspeed, velocycle, Ican, or anything else youll find at chinertown, then I'd be far more worried about the cheap components failing on you well before the frame does.

poser
    I'd ride it, think they'll be releasing an e-bike version soon?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    JB I don't know if you rode 20 years ago, but if you rode with 'those' same cheap components back then, that Walmart uses now, does that mean your 1990's bike was a BSO by definition?
    Wal-Mart bikes use the style of parts (26", rim brake, straight steerer, etc.) that were used back then, but not the quality. They're stamped steel junk that bends out of shape from regular use.

Did you miss the response to your question about what constitutes a mountain bike that pointed out Wal-Mart 'mountain bikes' have a sticker on them that says not for off road use? That's there because they know they are low quality and likely to fail, potentially causing injury. Rather than fix that, they put a little CYA sticker on there so they can't get sued and laugh all the way to the bank.

That does a huge disservice to our sport and there's no way in hell I'd support it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    never mind

2x is underrated
    I wouldn't buy this one in the current post, but there is a 27 lb 3x10 out there for $800, that you could easily convert to 1x or 2x, it's another 26" one if that even matters at this price:

https://smile.amazon.com/BEIOU-Mount...+mountain+bike

The Shimano drivetrain version is $50-100 more. The cheapest carbon-fiber 27.5" one I've seen starts at under $1100:

https://smile.amazon.com/SAVADECK-DE...+mountain+bike

I have that 27.5 frame sitting in my garage now, waiting to save up for components and then will assemble it later (much later lol). The USPS guy when he delivered it said the box was so light he thought it was empty at first. Here is the frame only, $339, around 2.5 lbs (I do have to warn you that it's a rear dropout frame, but this company does make a 2x11 bike so somewhere on the net they have a 12mm thru-axle frame).

https://smile.amazon.com/SAVADECK-Ca...on+fiber+frame

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12