Wahoo Kickr trainer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Wahoo Kickr trainer

Itís raining again this week in socal, so I havenít been able to ride the past two weeks. I donít want to lose fitness going from riding four days a week to spotty riding over the winter so I am looking at trainers. It looks like the Wahoo Kickr core would suit my needs and it supports the 148x12 mm axle standard. Has anyone tried to put a boost mountain bike to interface to this trainer? My main concern is having to perform derailleur adjustment every time I put it on. I have a sram gx 11 speed and will probably get an nx cassette to put on the trainer.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Name:  the-peloton-wifes-identity-is-revealed-all-about-the-actress-600x405.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  29.0 KB

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm setting up my rollers. I'm cheap.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Up In Smoke
    I donít do derailleur adjustments. I have one cog that runs smoothly and I basically just leave the chain there and use the trainer in ERG mode.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member

Wahoo Kickr trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I donít do derailleur adjustments. I have one cog that runs smoothly and I basically just leave the chain there and use the trainer in ERG mode.
    this! usually you might need some adjustment if you want to be shifting, but set it up in erg mode so you donít have to worry about it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Another for ERG mode and find a gear that aligns well. I have the older Kickr non boost one so I bought a used Road bike for trainer duty and the occasional road ride. Itís always nice to have options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    What is ERG mode? I am a little ignorant on these trainers. Can it simulate a hill climb? Currently when I climb may drop a gear in a climb as I tire, how would you deal with this in ERG mode?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Name:  the-peloton-wifes-identity-is-revealed-all-about-the-actress-600x405.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  29.0 KB
    That was her expression after finding out about ERG mode.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Ok, did some digging and ERG could work for me. Has anyone converted some mountain bike rides from their garmin fit files to use on the trainers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasbiking View Post
    Ok, did some digging and ERG could work for me. Has anyone converted some mountain bike rides from their garmin fit files to use on the trainers?
    I believe you would have to have power to do that but Iím not sure, never tried since I donít have a power meter on my mtb

Dirty Old Man
    Why not just get a cheap used or entry level road bike for trainer use?
    . . . . . . . .

I am Walt
    Itís raining again this week in socal, so I havenít been able to ride the past two weeks. I donít want to lose fitness going from riding four days a week to spotty riding over the winter so I am looking at trainers. It looks like the Wahoo Kickr core would suit my needs and it supports the 148x12 mm axle standard. Has anyone tried to put a boost mountain bike to interface to this trainer? My main concern is having to perform derailleur adjustment every time I put it on. I have a sram gx 11 speed and will probably get an nx cassette to put on the trainer.
    Yes, I put my boost Pivot LES geared hardtail on my Wahoo Kickr, without any derailleur adjustment, and I use both ERG (for workouts) and ďJust RideĒ modes. In the latter, a couple of the cogs are slightly rough, but no big deal. In ERG, all smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Yes but I do need to adjust the upper limit screw with a NX 12 speed cassette.

It's really NBD to do it, takes less than a minute.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    This, or jus a bike to ride around it's only going to rain for what? 2 weeks total?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Up In Smoke
    A good idea, youíll be sweating a lot and that dripping sweat will be corrosive to parts on your nice bike. I use an old cyclocross bike for that job
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    This, or jus a bike to ride around it's only going to rain for what? 2 weeks total?
    Haha, yeah really. How very southern Californian. "It's not going to be 70F and sunny for a little bit, we're doomed!"

CEO Product Failure
    Just got the Wahoo KickR. Love it. It came with a cassette. While I love working on my bikes, I currently lack the time. My LBS set it up. It took them 90 minutes. I'd recommend having your LBS set yours up as well.

Now, to be fair I had them set up my roadie which is 10sp Campy. My wife got the same KickR. Her bike has Ultegra and it took them about an hour to set up.

This is a VERY competent shop. The issue was shimming the cassette perfectly so you could seamlessly drop the bike onto the KickR without any hassle. Anyway, I tipped them and strongly recommend having your LBS help you out.

Regarding the KickR...it is a w e s o m e. The feel of the flywheel is better than my Kieser spin bike. So much so, the Kieser is for sale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Haha, yeah really. How very southern Californian. "It's not going to be 70F and sunny for a little bit, we're doomed!"
    I hear you, coming from Canada the weather here is paradise for riding. I just want to keep fitness at this point, between the rain and early sunsets Iím not getting as much riding as I would like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks for the feedback. My LBS is not so good, but the shimming the cassette is definitely something I can do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Definitely a possibility, but limited for space. Would hate to take up space with a road bike

Hey maybe I need to buy a new mountain bike so I can put my current bike on the trainer!