Vitus Mythique 2020: What Do You Think?- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Oct 2019

Vitus Mythique 2020: What Do You Think?

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2020-vitus-mythique/

Vitus has just rolled out a line of high quality but inexpensive full suspension bikes, ranging in price from $1500 to $2000. The two top end bikes have 12 speed Eagle SX and 140mm suspension front and rear.

Do you guys think these could be good bikes for riders getting back into the sport? I've been a road rider and commuter for a long time, and want to get back into mountain biking.

The Ripmo AF seems like a great bike but prices range from $3000 to $4000, and this Vitus line is a lot less expensive at half the cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have their Sentier VRS hardtail. Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to purchase another one of their bikes. Tons of fun and a quality build, especially considering the price point. It made it from the UK to the PNW in about a week as well, which was a nice surprise.

banned
    Oct 2019
    That's good to hear. I've only ridden one bike at this price point, but that was 4 years ago: an entry level specialized full suspension that multiple shops told me to stay away from. Shops that I was actually test riding the bike at.

The hawk hill is another contender, but the suspension is not supposed to be that supple.

I've read and heard multiple varying opinions on horst link. Some claim it's great for climbing, others claim there's a lot of suspension bob.

I suppose we'll know more when the bike starts to ship next month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northie2x View Post
    That's good to hear. I've only ridden one bike at this price point, but that was 4 years ago: an entry level specialized full suspension that multiple shops told me to stay away from. Shops that I was actually test riding the bike at.

The hawk hill is another contender, but the suspension is not supposed to be that supple.

I've read and heard multiple varying opinions on horst link. Some claim it's great for climbing, others claim there's a lot of suspension bob.

I suppose we'll know more when the bike starts to ship next month.
    The Marin Rift Zone would be quite a nice bike in that price range.

Regarding Horst Link suspension, it all depends upon the execution of the design. Some Horst Link bikes may have bob while others don't, depending upon how each was designed.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    On paper, that Mythique looks very good for the price.

mtbr member
    I agree it looks good! Iím trying to make my decision to buy either this or the new Kona Process 134. The Vitus looks very rough, just look at the welds. It would be nice to get some input about their FS quality since Iíd rather pay $500 extra if cheap means squeaky and/or fragile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Old thread, but only one about the Mythique.

Mythique 27 VR has been sold out for months.

But....

The "womens" version 27 vrw has some larges in stock.

As far as I can tell the Components and Geometry are exactly the same.
    Anyone have any idea what the difference might be?
    Only think I can think of is shorter cranks, and skinnier handlebar. Different saddle? Grips? Brake levers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by fivehoursfree View Post
    Anyone have any idea what the difference might be?
    Only think I can think of is shorter cranks, and skinnier handlebar. Different saddle? Grips? Brake levers?
    Purchased one from Chain Reaction with delivery to US within last 2 weeks. They are they same except for:
    1. A couple of fairly stealth "VRW" decals vs what I expect says "VR" on the other bike.
    2. The stem is 40 mm vs 50 mm

There may be more stuff but that is what I can see for differences in online spec and see in person (it is 6 feet behind me as I type)

The seat tube bend issue is real however, the post that came with needed to be cut so the bike could even be ridden. You get about 160 mm of insertion until you hit the suspension pivot. Have a OneUp dropper on the way as it may be about the only one that will fit and yield decent travel.

Build quality is fine or better than fine. It's no Santa Cruz, but at 3K+ cheaper I don't expect that.

Feel free to ask any other questions and I will answer what I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWorker View Post
    Purchased one from Chain Reaction with delivery to US within last 2 weeks. They are they same except for:
    1. A couple of fairly stealth "VRW" decals vs what I expect says "VR" on the other bike.
    2. The stem is 40 mm vs 50 mm

There may be more stuff but that is what I can see for differences in online spec and see in person (it is 6 feet behind me as I type)

The seat tube bend issue is real however, the post that came with needed to be cut so the bike could even be ridden. You get about 160 mm of insertion until you hit the suspension pivot. Have a OneUp dropper on the way as it may be about the only one that will fit and yield decent travel.

Build quality is fine or better than fine. It's no Santa Cruz, but at 3K+ cheaper I don't expect that.

Feel free to ask any other questions and I will answer what I can.
    I suggested this bike to my cousin who really needs to upgrade his ancient Superlight. On a medium, do think that the stock 150 mm dropper will work with his shortish legs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    It does not come with a dropper in the VR/VRW. 150mm droppers are all over the place as far as insertion length goes. I can tell you for certain on a small max insertion is about 160mm. The rest you may be able to figure out from here.
    https://vitusbikes.com/collections/m...ens-deore-1x10

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for info. I did find somewhere, I think on the CRC website, the minor differences. I think the handlebar is 20mm thinner, and the "men's" version comes with a "firm" tune on the rear shock, while the "w" version has a "medium tune".

Do you think the 27 vrw could fit 2.6 or 2.8 tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fivehoursfree View Post
    Thanks for info. I did find somewhere, I think on the CRC website, the minor differences. I think the handlebar is 20mm thinner, and the "men's" version comes with a "firm" tune on the rear shock, while the "w" version has a "medium tune".

Do you think the 27 vrw could fit 2.6 or 2.8 tires?
    2.6 almost certainly. Nearly all 27.5 bikes can go that wide and it works a treat.

2.8 maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Curveball, by any chance have you had any experience with the Escarpe line up? Really looking into getting the VRX, its virtually got everything one wants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Rx View Post
    Curveball, by any chance have you had any experience with the Escarpe line up? Really looking into getting the VRX, its virtually got everything one wants.
    I have no clue. I was looking at the Mythique for my cousin.

I ride a Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail.