a very simple question- Mtbr.com
    the half breed devil

a very simple question

never mind the SRAM or drivetrain forums, this is where i'm comfortable.

i just got a bike that's all SRAM...i have no experience with SRAM and can't make heads or tails of the instructional PDF on their website.

there's no barrel adjustor on my SRAM X-9 rear derailleur; however, there is one on the X-5 shifter. from what i can decipher from the instructions, that barrel is where one makes simple adjustments to cable tension. clockwise for the small cogs, counter clockwise for the big ones.

please fill me in and thank you.

--mb

mtbr member
    Yes shifter barrels is where you tweak tension. Clockwise should decrease tension for any barrel, and CCW should tighten it, regardless of whether it's on the shifter or der, and regardless whether it's the front or back.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I do wish SRAM would put barrels on their derailleurs. That is all.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    ya.. it's the only beef i have with them.. but you can always put one of those inline do-hinkies from Jagwire on. been thinking about it.

I've come to discover i can adjust it better up front anyway as i do it while riding not on the stand any more. I find a hill (it's on my driveway ) and ride up and down it while testing and tweaking the tension. I've always found that the settings are slightly different with the bike on the stand than it is when there is pressure on the drivetrain... but ya, one out back would make initial setup much easier.

But back to the OP's questions.. yes you have the adjustments up front on the shifters for the fine adjustment. If you can't get it right.. a simple thing I used to do is find a place where it's sorta flat and no obstacles to hit..(big empty parking lots are good) shift to the middle ring up front and out back.. now ride around slowly while reaching over and spinning the knob one direction... keep going till it obviously has shifted to the next gear,.. now turn it the other way and count the clicks it takes to shift it down 2 gears.. take what ever that # of clicks and back it up 1/2 the amount.. should be darn close to perfect.

If you are still having issues you got something else wrong or bent
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

the half breed devil
    thanks, everyone. not having problems yet but it's nice to know what and where when the problems arise, eh?

--mb

Huckin' trails
    Rear barrel adjuster is a waste of time and just add more weight and possible friction, more parts, etc...

If you consider yourself as a decent rider, you should know how to properly adjust a derailleur. You only need one barrel adjuster fully screw in and a wrench or hex key to lock the cable in place once you pick up 90% of the cable slack by hand, then just try to up shift, and unscrew the barrel adjuster one click at the time till you get a decent up shift. Then go trough all the rear gears (better be on the middle chain ring or the big one if on a 2x crank) and if you get sloppy upshift, then unscrew the barrel. If the downshifts are slow or sticky, then screw in the barrel. It doesn't get much technical than this, unless you deal with out of alignment rings and cogs, bad chain line, bent hanger or other worn/damaged parts. And don't take the bike-in-stand adjustments for granted. Do the final ones on the road when you have suspension sag, tension on the chain, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    If you consider yourself as a decent rider, you should know how to properly adjust a derailleur.

Wow, talk about a non-sequitur! Or did you mean "mechanic" instead of rider??

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Wow, talk about a non-sequitur! Or did you mean "mechanic" instead of rider??
    Nah, it's not everyone who ride who are also a bike mechanic. But the opposite should be obvious. Now, you don't have to know how to perform a rear air shock maintenance, but if you're not able to adjust a drivetrain, you should learn how to before engaging more money or time in this sport. Just my opinion. I'm not the best rider in the world, nor I'm the best bike mechanic either. But I make sure to learn how it works before I use my bike. I think they called it "read the instructions" in some places. Don't go somewhere claiming you're a good MTBer when you don't actually wrench your own bikes... That's called being a rider only. Note that there's some people who are very good at riding bikes but don't understand how a nut and bolt can be hold together, but those are called "over-paid racers". Not bashing anyone here if you feel like it btw
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

T.W.O.
    Rear barrel adjuster is a waste of time and just add more weight and possible friction, more parts, etc...

If you consider yourself as a decent rider, you should know how to properly adjust a derailleur. You only need one barrel adjuster fully screw in and a wrench or hex key to lock the cable in place once you pick up 90% of the cable slack by hand, then just try to up shift, and unscrew the barrel adjuster one click at the time till you get a decent up shift. Then go trough all the rear gears (better be on the middle chain ring or the big one if on a 2x crank) and if you get sloppy upshift, then unscrew the barrel. If the downshifts are slow or sticky, then screw in the barrel. It doesn't get much technical than this, unless you deal with out of alignment rings and cogs, bad chain line, bent hanger or other worn/damaged parts. And don't take the bike-in-stand adjustments for granted. Do the final ones on the road when you have suspension sag, tension on the chain, etc.

I agree with David C especially on a 1:1 Sram derailleurs.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like having a barrel adjuster at the derailleur. Makes initial drivetrain tuning a whole lot easier.

Maybe I'm a crappy rider.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bro Mountainbiker
    A properly designed barrel adjuster is not going to add any "slop" to the system or weight more than 1 gram.

Sram puts one on their road derailleurs. Where is the consistency? Obviously, Now with under the tape routing Sram cant put an efficient barrel system on the bars but I hope you catch my point.

Though, Its probably best to have one on the bars if you have to choose either or. But I always find myself reaching for it when it doesnt exist on the RD.

Huckin' trails
    ^ I don't know, I'm not into road bikes, sorry.

But I do understand.

Sweep the leg!
    I've had a few break off derailers on 'cross bikes. I've been putting in-line adjusters on those bikes where I can reach them.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

the half breed devil

"consider myself a decent rider".

what the hell is wrong with you? dude, chill the hell out. i'm using another system and i read the instructions.

i wasn't born yesterday. leave the 'tude somewhere else.

give me a break.

T.W.O.
    A properly designed barrel adjuster is not going to add any "slop" to the system or weight more than 1 gram.

Sram puts one on their road derailleurs. Where is the consistency? Obviously, Now with under the tape routing Sram cant put an efficient barrel system on the bars but I hope you catch my point.

Though, Its probably best to have one on the bars if you have to choose either or. But I always find myself reaching for it when it doesnt exist on the RD.
    Yep that's true it's not going to add a lot of weight to it. I just think you don't need them, only one by the shifter is enough. If I need 2 one on each end I'd rather add the inline adjuster from Jagwire by the seat stay or any other place but the butt end of the derailleur, it'd be more convenience
    Last edited by mimi1885; 03-04-2012 at 06:42 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Another fan of inline adjusters, and before any ride critic chimes in, I suck at the bike riding but I can adjust a derailleur.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    "consider myself a decent rider".

what the hell is wrong with you? dude, chill the hell out. i'm using another system and i read the instructions.

i wasn't born yesterday. leave the 'tude somewhere else.

give me a break.
    Sorry, but that wasn't directly addressed to you. Otherwise I would have quoted you like I just did. And relax, it's just the interwebz, no drivetrain around here

mtbr member
    If you guys are adjusting barrels frequently enough to have a strong opinion on them, you're doing something horribly wrong

I only use the rear barrel for initial setup when im building a bike, or after cable replacement. After that, they get adjusted mid-ride, without stopping, from the shifter. When I had sram, I just did the whole thing at the shifter, not a big deal either way.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I work on em all day long so I am entitled to an opinion.

Members who have read this thread: 0