I quit e-MTBR

Vernon Felton at Pinkbike

So Vernon Felton is a marketing guy for Specialized now, which seems about right. But before that, he was at Pinkbike from 2/16 until about 3/18, writing fiercely independent reviews and such. His reviewer description there (here, for example) disclosed his industry affiliations as "None."

Which is odd, turns out, since Vernon's linkedin page (here) now says that he "Helped set the brand voice for Juliana Bicycles with their 2016 web relaunch," he "Shaped the style and wrote majority of Giroís groundbreaking helmetfacts.com website," (which, awkwardly, Pinkbike splashily promoted while no-affiliations Vernon was a PB tech editor), and "Authored all of Raleigh's 2018 adult bicycle catalog copy."

Coincidentally, the dude who Giro hired to write all the copy for helmetfacts (launched 2017) was Mr. Enthusiasm about MIPS v1 in this 10/16 helmet shootout review for PB, the winner of which, another coincidence, was Giro's ho-hum Chronicle. Was he getting paid by Giro when he wrote the review? Dunno.

Care to shed any light on all this, Pinkbike?

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post

Are you asking us or pinkbike?
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for bringing this to light.
    I was wondering why I've had no fun on a mountain bike since early 2016.
    Now I know.
    Really appreciate your e-sluething efforts.
    My ride tomorrow is sure to be so much more enjoyable with this heightened awareness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    OR, the IT guy who setup the account was lazy about filling in everything?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Just a matter of time until Girogate broke. Speaking truth to power.

All fat, all the time.
    I can finally sleep well.. What a relief.

mbtr member
    So Vernon Felton is a marketing guy for Specialized now, which seems about right. But before that, he was at Pinkbike from 2/16 until about 3/18, writing fiercely independent reviews and such. His reviewer description there (here, for example) disclosed his industry affiliations as "None."

Which is odd, turns out, since Vernon's linkedin page (here) now says that he "Helped set the brand voice for Juliana Bicycles with their 2016 web relaunch," he "Shaped the style and wrote majority of Giroís groundbreaking helmetfacts.com website," (which, awkwardly, Pinkbike splashily promoted while no-affiliations Vernon was a PB tech editor), and "Authored all of Raleigh's 2018 adult bicycle catalog copy."

Coincidentally, the dude who Giro hired to write all the copy for helmetfacts (launched 2017) was Mr. Enthusiasm about MIPS v1 in this 10/16 helmet shootout review for PB, the winner of which, another coincidence, was Giro's ho-hum Chronicle. Was he getting paid by Giro when he wrote the review? Dunno.

And previously he was the editor at bike mag. He's a staple of the industry; his myriad connections might actually make him more candid, and he certainly knows what he's talking about. Next you're gonna complain richard cunningham is just writing formulaic ad-copy.

Pinkbike is entertainment. Don't go there for information. When it comes to bike reviews you have to review the reviewer first.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Bicycles aren't motorized
    The entire industry is incestuous at best.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

since 4/10/2009
    all I learned here is that oldmanbike is e-stalking vernon felton

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I think OP makes valid points. Reviewers claiming to be neutral should be neutral. Checking someone's LinkedIn profile is hardly cyber-stalking.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    I think OP makes valid points. Reviewers claiming to be neutral should be neutral.
    This is the problem - assuming that any reviewer (whether they claim to be or not) is neutral or unbiased. Hint: nobody is.

ZEN RIDER!
    Published reviews stopped being critical a long time ago due to the all mighty advertising $$$$. Any criticism is communicated in overly positive phrasing because they have to live in the grey area of ambiguity.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Vernon Felton at Pinkbike-9740428-3x2-940x627.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I actually think Pinkbike's reviews have gotten better recently. They seem to be trying to provide at least some comparison (though they're generally still unwilling to rank bikes and everything comes out seeming rather good).

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I actually think Pinkbike's reviews have gotten better recently. They seem to be trying to provide at least some comparison (though they're generally still unwilling to rank bikes and everything comes out seeming rather good).
    I go there more for the comments than anything. Sometimes more helpful than the article itself. Oftentimes, hilarious.

mtbr member
    Get off my lawn!

mtbr member
    Vernon Felton is a hell of a good writer. I really enjoyed his articles when he was writing for Bike all those years.

I very much miss his writing, but wish him well in his new position at Specialized.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member

All reviews are technically "advertisements" as the bikes/products are provided for free in return for potential marketing language. The writers know this. The manufactures know this. I thought most bike buyers knew this.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    I think OP makes valid points. Reviewers claiming to be neutral should be neutral. Checking someone's LinkedIn profile is hardly cyber-stalking.

Yeah, but this thread tells you a lot about the intelligence of the MTB community.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Perhaps that's because all bikes today are generally pretty good if not great. It's a great time to be a rider from a gear perspective.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.

#fakenews

Name:  fakenews.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  9.7 KB

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Name:  1362599_02bcdea730.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  39.2 KB
    Niner WFO9, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 6KU single speed (town/workout bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9740428-3x2-940x627.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	1227635
    Lol...nailed it!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    This should be handed over to Mueller's team. Clearly there is Russian collusion involved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    This should be handed over to Mueller's team. Clearly there is Russian collusion involved.
    I have it on good word that it's the Lithuanians.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have you read any reviews here on MTBR's front page? (Yes, MTBR has a front page)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    People gotta eat, and I doubt that a single publication pays enough to take care of the bills but I may be wrong. Same thing with car reviews, gotta play nice to a point otherwise no one will let you test their stuff.

mtbr member
    I very much miss Vernonís writing. His reviews were very entertaining and his editorials were really funny. I see his fingerprints all over the newest ad copy from specialized and it bums me out to no end that such a brilliant writer is doing the devils work. To quote another brilliant man ďif youíre in advertising, kill yourself.Ē

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    all I learned here is that oldmanbike is e-stalking vernon felton
    E-stalking, that's funny. After I thought, "what the hell happened to Vernon Felton?" I googled his name and clicked on the first page that came up, which was his Linkedin page. Has to be the laziest stalking I've ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    This is the problem - assuming that any reviewer (whether they claim to be or not) is neutral or unbiased. Hint: nobody is.
    If he had a conflict that he didn't disclose (and I don't purport to have proven that), your answer and others' here is "of course, everyone knows this." Fine, I guess, but I suspect that's not Pinkbike's view and they're the ones whose reaction I'm interested in hearing.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    E-stalking, that's funny. After I thought, "what the hell happened to Vernon Felton?" I googled his name and clicked on the first page that came up, which was his Linkedin page. Has to be the laziest stalking I've ever heard of.

If he had a conflict that he didn't disclose (and I don't purport to have proven that), your answer and others' here is "of course, everyone knows this." Fine, I guess, but I suspect that's not Pinkbike's view and they're the ones whose reaction I'm interested in hearing.

I doubt anyone that's anyone at pinkbike is going to comment here about it though.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    I very much miss Vernonís writing. His reviews were very entertaining and his editorials were really funny. I see his fingerprints all over the newest ad copy from specialized and it bums me out to no end that such a brilliant writer is doing the devils work. To quote another brilliant man ďif youíre in advertising, kill yourself.Ē
    Vernon is indeed a great writer and I really miss his articles. He also has a family and I rather suspect that the Specialized gig likely puts more food on the table than being a bike journalist. I don't fault him for taking care of his family.

Barely in control
    "stalking" in my state requires an intent to do harm. Information gathering and asking questions has other names like normal human curiosity.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    Published reviews stopped being critical a long time ago due to the all mighty advertising $$$$. Any criticism is communicated in overly positive phrasing because they have to live in the grey area of ambiguity.
    So you obviously haven't been following Pinkbikes latest trail/all mountain bike review releases.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Vernon is indeed a great writer and I really miss his articles. He also has a family and I rather suspect that the Specialized gig likely puts more food on the table than being a bike journalist. I don't fault him for taking care of his family.
    Iím not faulting the man for going and earning more money. Iím just lamenting the fact that we lost an amazing writer to advertising. Iím glad heís done what is good for him and his.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    "stalking" in my state requires an intent to do harm. Information gathering and asking questions has other names like normal human curiosity.
    y'all can't take a joke, eh?

mtbr member
    Enthusiast media is almost entirely captive. I can think of a few brilliant exceptions - like Consumer Reports, or America's Test Kitchen.

The Truth About Cars has an independent review policy but also a really glaring political bias. (Whatever it is, they're against it.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    Iím not faulting the man for going and earning more money. Iím just lamenting the fact that we lost an amazing writer to advertising. Iím glad heís done what is good for him and his.
    Oh, I never did think that you faulted him for anything. I think we both really miss his writings.