Velohinge vs. Steadyrack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Velohinge vs. Steadyrack

Looking to store some bikes in a room in our house. I like both of these options because they "fold" and all your to hinge the bike against the wall.

Does anyone have experience with either? Steadyrack is around $80 a piece. Velohinge is like $20 a piece. Wondering if the steadyrack is that superior.

Up In Smoke
    Both seem to have good reviews, why spend the extra money if you don't have to? I vote velohinge. In fact, I'm ordering one now for myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Both seem to have good reviews, why spend the extra money if you don't have to? I vote velohinge. In fact, I'm ordering one now for myself.
    Thanks for the reply. Agreed that the cheaper option is probably the way to go.

mtbr member
    The only caveat on the Velohinge is if you have aero rims with carbon fairings...obviously not an mtb concern. Hooks like the Velohinge put a fair mount of pressure on the inside of the rim, greater than the weight of the bike. It's easily calculated as the weight of the bike times (1/sin@) where @ is the angle between horizontal and the line from the front axle to where the hook touches the rim. If that's 30 degrees, the force on the rim is twice the weight of the bike. If it's 20 degrees, it's three times the weight of the bike. Most CF aero rims are OK, but on some, the deep aero part is a non-structural faring which is easily damaged. The Steady Rack supports the bike by the front tire.

I hang my bikes, including with aero CF road rims, by hooks similar to the Velohinge.
    Do the math.

Members who have read this thread: 33