Uncle

USA & Canada: New ticks commeth

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I live in Bucks County, PA just across the Delaware from Hunterdon.

Scary stuff given that Lyme disease deer ticks and West Nile mosquitoes are already prevalent here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I had the chronic version of Lymes, it took forever to treat and I have permant damage. Be smart and safe when in tick territory.

mtbr member
    Not much info in that article...but people will read it and over-react guaranteed.

I've lived in CT since mid 80's and during that time have regularly ridden within 10 miles of Lyme, Old Lyme, East Lyme...basically the epicenter of the whole Lyme Disease thing. Deer are everywhere and constantly using the same single-track trails we ride on. After thousands of rides over 30+ years I have found a tick on me ONE time and it wasn't even a deer tick. All the guys I ride with have never had an issue with Lyme Disease. I have deer in my back yard with 2 acres of woods and my kids grew up playing in those woods without issues. Yet it has been sensationalized as this huge problem so now there are moms who freak out and won't even let their kids play in the back yard.

In the 80's and 90's when it first came out, doctors were mis-diagnosing everything as potentially 'Lyme Disease'...it was ridiculous. Over time, the freakout mode has diminished and we don't hear much about it anymore. In 30+ years I know of maybe 3-4 people (not bikers...just acquaintances) who have been unlucky and gotten infected. It can happen but it's totally over-hyped. So many people have been brainwashed into thinking you're taking this huge risk just by going for a walk in the woods. Just go ride and enjoy it...then check for ticks...that's it!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

One ring to mash them all
    In a small part of San Diego county, ticks have been found to be carrying rabbit fever.
    ITMFA

mtbr member
    I ride past Lopez Canyon in PQ now because of that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    One of the many reasons winter is my favorite season.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Not much info in that article...but people will read it and over-react guaranteed.

I've lived in CT since mid 80's and during that time have regularly ridden within 10 miles of Lyme, Old Lyme, East Lyme...basically the epicenter of the whole Lyme Disease thing. Deer are everywhere and constantly using the same single-track trails we ride on. After thousands of rides over 30+ years I have found a tick on me ONE time and it wasn't even a deer tick. All the guys I ride with have never had an issue with Lyme Disease. I have deer in my back yard with 2 acres of woods and my kids grew up playing in those woods without issues. Yet it has been sensationalized as this huge problem so now there are moms who freak out and won't even let their kids play in the back yard.

In the 80's and 90's when it first came out, doctors were mis-diagnosing everything as potentially 'Lyme Disease'...it was ridiculous. Over time, the freakout mode has diminished and we don't hear much about it anymore. In 30+ years I know of maybe 3-4 people (not bikers...just acquaintances) who have been unlucky and gotten infected. It can happen but it's totally over-hyped. So many people have been brainwashed into thinking you're taking this huge risk just by going for a walk in the woods. Just go ride and enjoy it...then check for ticks...that's it!
    While deer are important hosts for the deer tick, they're not the most important ones for Lyme disease. The white-footed mouse is the big one. That's the Lyme disease reservoir that ticks pick it up from during an early life stage, and how they spread it to people.

In addition, my understanding of Lyme disease is also that most of the people who get it do not get it from ticks who latch on when they're out hiking or riding. They get it from ticks that latch on when they're in their own yards (like when they do yard work). This is why tick tubes work.

https://organicdailypost.com/make-tick-tubes/
    https://www.amazon.com/Damminix-2720.../dp/B000OWB7ME

Beyond Lyme, however, there are an incredible number of nasty tick-borne diseases. Many are regional or species-specific. The Lone Star Tick (prevalent in the south and southeast and moving north into the midwest and mid-atlantic states) can make you allergic to red meat.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0220102727.htm

Ticks and tick-borne diseases aren't to be trifled with. Just because you haven't had one yet, doesn't mean the risk is low. It just means you've been lucky. The only ticks I know I've been bitten by are Lone Star ticks. Thankfully, they're relatively large and I usually feel the bite, so they've not been attached for long by the time I get them. I also treat a lot of my clothing with permethrin because I'm not fooling around.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    While deer are important hosts for the deer tick, they're not the most important ones for Lyme disease. The white-footed mouse is the big one. That's the Lyme disease reservoir that ticks pick it up from during an early life stage, and how they spread it to people.

In addition, my understanding of Lyme disease is also that most of the people who get it do not get it from ticks who latch on when they're out hiking or riding. They get it from ticks that latch on when they're in their own yards (like when they do yard work). This is why tick tubes work.

https://organicdailypost.com/make-tick-tubes/
    https://www.amazon.com/Damminix-2720.../dp/B000OWB7ME

Beyond Lyme, however, there are an incredible number of nasty tick-borne diseases. Many are regional or species-specific. The Lone Star Tick (prevalent in the south and southeast and moving north into the midwest and mid-atlantic states) can make you allergic to red meat.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0220102727.htm

Ticks and tick-borne diseases aren't to be trifled with. Just because you haven't had one yet, doesn't mean the risk is low. It just means you've been lucky. The only ticks I know I've been bitten by are Lone Star ticks. Thankfully, they're relatively large and I usually feel the bite, so they've not been attached for long by the time I get them. I also treat a lot of my clothing with permethrin because I'm not fooling around.
    INTERESTING!!!! I'm pretty sure I'll be making a bunch of these for camp and home. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A disease-carrying, newly invasive tick to the United States, the Asian longhorned tick, is poised to spread across much of North America, suggests a new study published Thursday in the Journal of Medical Entomology. According to the study, the tick might be able to live anywhere from Southeastern Canada to most of the eastern half of the U.S. and even parts of the West Coast.

https://gizmodo.com/the-new-bad-tick...ted-1831079855
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    In a small part of San Diego county, ticks have been found to be carrying rabbit fever.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I ride past Lopez Canyon in PQ now because of that.
    Is that the only area they’ve been found? I lived in RB right down the road and frequented walking my dog not too far from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    One more thing to be afraid of haha. I found probably 8 or so ticks on me last year. I think primarily from riding through Gonzalez open space towards DMM.

none had bit into me yet.. maybe I don't taste so good

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    No ticks can penetrate my armies of fire ants and harvester ants. Love those little guys.

mtbr member
    I grew up in CT, know plenty people who got lyme, I myself eventually got infected with not lyme but another terrible tick born disease known as "ehrlichiosis" let me tell you it was the worst thing I went through. Rocketing up and down fevers, drove to hospital 3 times and was admitted once in the first two days, headaches for a few months and weird breathing issues and aches. Happy an healthy a few months later like nothing happened but the disease is in my body now forever and could spark up later in my life if I don't stay on top of my health. Lyme and the other tick illnesses are no joke, treat it serious and you won't have to regret it. I wish ticks would fall off the earth, not sure their purpose but they scare me plenty before I ever got sick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post

Ignorance. It never pays off.

Lyme isn't the "epicenter" of lyme disease. What do you think, that ticks gather there for an annual board meeting? It's where it was first discovered/diagnosed. That's it.

Promised Land SP in the Poconos in the late 90's--I came home with 12 of them around my socks.
    2 years ago while riding Hubbard I found 5 on me.
    Last year I found 1 so tiny that my wife missed it and I didn't think it was a tick, but I pulled it off.

I've removed well near 100 of these things from me. Luckily, they were never embedded in me too much, if at all.

I hear this shit all the time that it's not a deer tick, or it's too big or too small to give you lyme disease. Keep telling yourself that. Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post

Lyme isn't the "epicenter" of lyme disease. What do you think, that ticks gather there for an annual board meeting? It's where it was first discovered/diagnosed. That's it.
    Well, it was, but now that Intertick has been cancelled...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.